LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Gall Bladder Removal And Fecal Incont

My understanding is when you remove your gall bladder you end up with a system that is sensitive to fat content, red meats, and heavy foods. I would assume that it would cause some abdominal discomfort and diarrhea, but not fecal incontinence. The gall bladder and your rectal sphincter are not a shared system. I have met lots of people with no gall bladder and they hold their feces just fine.

~Brian

My ex and 1 of my daughters had their gall bladders out and neither one has an issue with fecal incontinence. This doesn't mean that it can't happen though, everyone's different. :)

Hugs,

Freta

People without gall bladders can and do live normal lives. The problem that caused the gall bladder issues and subsequent removal may be symptoms of great health issues. The removal of a gall bladder just means the liver dumps all bile into the digestive tract without storing it first in the gb. It can make stool looser but not to the point of incontinence.

My gaul bladder was removed about 15 years ago and I have had no problems. No bowel incontinence or loose stools (any more than before I had my gaul bladder removed). Crystals or sludge can build up in the gaul bladder and cause a lot of pain until it's removed. The gaul bladder stores bile to be used when extra bile may be needed for digestion. The fact that bile in the gaul bladder sometimes turns to crystals or sludge tells me that it's been in the gaul bladder so long without being needed that it caused a problem. I've never noticed any difference in the last 15 years without my gaul bladder. If someone is having a problem with theirs and the doctor says it has to come out, best thing is to have it removed. With arthroscopic surgery it's just 3 small incisions about half an inch each and you usually go home the same day or the next.

• 5 months later...

Can having your gall bladder removed cause you to be fecal incont? I know someone that had theirs taken out and they randomly have to go and not always make it.

Is there anyway to treat it?

I had my gall bladder out about 10 years ago. I had IBS really bad for about next 2-3 years. Eating anything with high fat content caused me to get the runs almost immediately. So diapers were one solution for me. I still wear cloth pull ups or some type of protection at all times since I will still have an occasional accident.

Plusmbr@comcast.net

I had my gall bladder removed. I have noticed that my stool is a lot softer and sometimes I have urgency (but I'm also slightly lactose intolerant as well and don't monitor my dairy intake...), but no, I do not have bowel incontinence due to having my gall bladder removed.
  • 2 weeks later...

Can having your gall bladder removed cause you to be fecal incont? I know someone that had theirs taken out and they randomly have to go and not always make it.

Is there anyway to treat it?

As others have stated, there is no direct correlation to a cholecystectomy (gall bladder removal surgery) and fecal incontinence UNLESS there were associated complications. Most cholecystectomy surgeries are currently preformed laparoscopicly (via keyhole surgery) and as such, complications are rare. Normal temporary side effects of laparoscopic surgery can include indigestion etc or in extreme cases, an over active or over sensitive bladder.

However, there is about 1% of operations that cause other problems which may involve the surgeon to access the gall bladder via an alternative route. Some incontinence may be caused by such, but this is normally a temporary effect which clears up over a few weeks.

What you may be referring to as fecal incontinence could be diarrhea, which about 15% of patients suffer from until their digestive system adjusts to a new diet.