LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Should I Tell My Therapist That I'M An Ab/Dl?

54 members have voted

1. 1. Should I tell my therapist that I'm an AB/DL

• Yes
    • No

You ARE kidding, right?

This IS a therapist, and you ARE going to a therapist for OTHER reason ALREADY? And, you didn't discuss this with your LAST therapist? And, if you DID, it's not in your file that transferred from your last therapist?

And, if you're NOT seeing your therapist abour AB/DL issues, and you're comfortable with it, why WOULD you discuss it with THIS therapist?

The things that get posted here...

If this is something that you feel is innertwined with other issues that you want to work through with your therapist, then I would say Yes you should tell your therapist. However, & for me personally this was a big factor in regards to me telling my Therapist, Trust is a HUGE Factor, I would make sure you have trust before opening up about being ABDL. Hope this Helps, & Good Luck,

Rockies Fan. Go Rockies in 2011!:D

so... if you are seeking therapy because of issues that relate to abdl, then it may need to come up...

also therapists DO NOT transfer records.... only if you ask them to... but even then.... usually not.

and so i guess, the question is.. do you feel you need to tell your therapist? is this something you need to talk about with them? is it causing you pain and anguish? is it something you feel is more pressing then the other reasons brining you to therapy?

your therapist will not treat you like a baby. your therapist will not cuddle you, baby talk to you, or act like your mommy/daddy.

If you bring it up, your therapist will assume you are having some sort of issues with this and thus will most likely want to talk more about it. usually people don't just bring something up like that to their therapist unless they feel the need to discuss their emotions related to it.

so my question to you is... Why do you feel you need to bring it up?

Guest diaperboykcmo

so... if you are seeking therapy because of issues that relate to abdl, then it may need to come up...

also therapists DO NOT transfer records.... only if you ask them to... but even then.... usually not.

and so i guess, the question is.. do you feel you need to tell your therapist? is this something you need to talk about with them? is it causing you pain and anguish? is it something you feel is more pressing then the other reasons brining you to therapy?

your therapist will not treat you like a baby. your therapist will not cuddle you, baby talk to you, or act like your mommy/daddy.

If you bring it up, your therapist will assume you are having some sort of issues with this and thus will most likely want to talk more about it. usually people don't just bring something up like that to their therapist unless they feel the need to discuss their emotions related to it.

so my question to you is... Why do you feel you need to bring it up?

I've been seeing a Shrink since I was 12 off and on. They do transfer records, how else would they know how to reat you ect. I'm bipolar and ab, I've seen 4 shrinks and in my records they note the roleplaying with my x gf and her mom. They have to know everything in order to help you.

if the therapists work at a hospital or other clinic together then yes your recrods are throughout the clinic, however if they are in private practice and you decide to go to another one, you recrods are not transfered unless you sign a release....

however if you see a psychiatrist at a hospital and then see a therapist at the same hospital or clinic, those records will transfer... a therapist does NOT have to know everyone to help you. If you are having a hard time say dealing with the death of a grandparent or a friend... why would you therapist then need to know about your desires to jack off in a diaper?

it depends on what you would like to get out of therapy whether or not certain things need to be shared.

Bring it up if you feel like it.

^ Ditto here. I eventually told mine and he was kind of intrigued, but it rarely comes up. I think I did because I think it's all tied into my low self esteem and lack of self confidence etc, which is a product of having to contend with a narcissistic / negligent / abusive father and domineering / abusive older brother and being looked down on most of my life.

he did bring up the topic on our last session, and he has a hard time remembering the letters and what they mean :P but anyways, I mentioned that I ma here a lot, since this is someplace where I am comfortable and on equal footing with many others. I also went into how I feel this community as a whole can be used to benefit the incontinent community and help those who are having a hard time adjusting to thier condition or situation, and or help finding the right product to help them manage their particular situation, all the while offering a place to chat and make friends and offer some companionship in a positive setting. :) he didn't say much after that, other then something about me trying to get a better job or something while we were leaving *shrug*

Anyways, you can tell her...if you feel that it will help in your treatment, or not, if you feel your AB/DL inclinations are not related to the issues you are in therapy for. They could be related, as the human brain is a tricky thing and does a lot of different associating and other weird things.

Think about it and do what you feel will help. Just don't mention it because you want to get a reaction from her, or play mind games. thats counter productive and a waste of your money and her time.

What to speak about with your therapist is up to you :mellow: If it's not an issue then there is little reason to speak of it :whistling: I mean, you don't discuss which brand of dish soap or car wax you use so there's no need to discuss your underwear either :lol: But if you're obsessed with Turtle Wax or Dawn- or diapers- you may need to open up about it for them to help you :angel_not: My therapy started with my being asked to describe my average day, and from there we went into what she thought could be potential problems :doctor: As we made progress I brought up things she didn't see so we could work on them too. Trust is a necessity with your therapist- unless you are totally honest they can't really help you :( so if diapers are an issue you're going to have to trust them and speak of this :blush: If there is no issue don't volunteer anything about it unless asked. And always, if you disagree with their assessment of something, discuss it immediately.

Therapy is like a journey where you have go through every town between here and happiness; there are no by-passes. If you intentionally miss a town you're going to have to go all the way back there and go through everything else all over again before you can enter Happiness so be as open as needed and don't hide anything you're asked about :biker_h4h:

Records are shared and transferred frequently among need-to-know in-house treatment providers, but never from one private practice to another ;) Essentially your records are private so you don't have to worry about that :) When I was in therapy I didn't have any issues with being a DL, which came to me later on B) I used what I'd learned about taking care of my other problems to get through this so diapers were never really a problem with me.

With a good therapist (and there are some bad ones same as with anything) you will come out the other side as a much better person with far fewer problems that you need help to deal with. The goal of proper therapy is to give you knowledge of yourself and the tools you need to deal with your problems all by yourself :D

Bettypooh

I really don't see the point in therapy if you feel like you must hide feelings and emotions from the therapist. If you've made the decision to seek therapy from a professional therapist to better yourself, then it appears to me that you would be doing more harm than good, if you don't feel you can trust the person you're talking to. Actively seeking therapy from someone you don't trust is really a waste of time and money. If you really feel that you cannot share this then either stop seeking therapy, or find a therapist you can share with. Good Luck.

It can take time to build up trust with a therapist to feel comfortable with that person. It more than likely won't happen in one or two sessions but more likely months if not a year or more. Sharing about your ab/dl side with your therapist is a decision you have to decide for yourself. I have chosen to keep this side hidden from mine. I do not feel comfortable sharing this with her for fear of her reaction over it. I completely trust her on other things. Good luck!

She's a new therapist, so i don't know her that well.

How can any of us give you useful counsel with so few details?

I am sorry, Pee Lover, but if you have shared why you are seeing a therapist, I must have missed those posts. Along the same lines I have no clue why you are seeing a different therapist.

When you say "She's a new therapist" do you mean she is only recently licensed or do you mean you have just met her?

All psych therapy depends on your trust in your therapist. Keeping details of your sessions confidential is a legal requirement in most jurisdictions, even if you are a minor, in which case you should not be posting in DD.

Once you have a bond of trust with your therapist, you need to discuss your entire condition. You have no way of telling how your AB/DL interacts with whatever caused you to seek mental therapy. This is why you are seeing a shrink.

If you do not trust this particular therapist, it is pointless for her to attempt to treat you.

If it has some impact on or is an important factor in whatever you're seeing the therapist for, then yes, you should tell them. Otherwise, they don't really need to know about it.

Since I don't wear diapers outside of my house, I don't believe that they have any impact upon my social anxiety. As such, they've never come up in discussion with my own therapist, and probly never will.

Well, as you know and sometimes deride me for, I NEVER tell anyone. I don't trust a soul and use this defense as a means of survival.

-DR

I'm pretty much with DR here. My wife knows I'm a DL (though doesn't approve), but that's it. The only other person I've told is a therapist, and he was worse than useless. He'd never heard of a diaper fetish and seemed disinterested in learning about it. After a few sessions, I was ready to call it quits. At the end of my last session he cautioned me that websites for pedophiles were constantly patrolled by people posing as children. I was so angry at him for essentially accusing me of being a pedophile that I nearly decked him. He was a willfully ignorant asshole.

-RMS

• Like 1

I broadly agree with what most people said - bring it up if you feel like it's a problem for you. Otherwise, don't. Therapists are there to help you deal with problems so if it isn't one, you're likely going to be told that it's outside their remit.

Also, be aware that therapists tend to operate squarely inside their training boundaries and if presented with something unusual or outside those boundaries, are likely to to tell you they're not trained in that subject and can't advise.

In any case, the therapist probably isn't going to validate your AB/DL feelings, if that's what you're looking for. You'll probably just get some fairly analytical feedback or a reassurance that it's not particularly abnormal (but you know that already, right?)...

Oh, and it goes without saying, don't weird her out - the difference between discussing your feelings (legitimate) and imposing them (not legitimate) is very slight.

This is the wrong question.

You therapist is the one who will tell you you are ABDL or have psychological problems because you like diapers. They are porfessinally trained to tell you what you are and how to handle it. One cannot go into a counseling session and tell the therapist what problems they have, that's a waste of money. Let them tell YOU if youare ABDL, ad they probably will tell you to quit diapers because, even though it is socially unhealthy, they are sooo awesome so DON'T uit diapers. I would diaper up before the therapists and wet it secretly while you are there to remind you of who you are. Hopefully the diaper won't make too much noise as it expands from the wetting.

wow clearly you have no idea what therapy is....

a psychiatrist can diagnose someone with a psychological disorder and can prescribe medicine

a psychologist can perform testing and diagnose someone but cannot prescribe medicine

a therapist acts as a guide allowing the patient to make their own discovers

a therapist doesn't tell anyone what their problem is... and i'm sorry why would a therapist say to someone :you are abdl" ..... its like a therapist saying to someone "you are gay" therapists don't do that, their roll is to guide the person to their own self discovery, and offer some coping skills along the way....

While others have said similar things, I agree with Angela the most. There is no way I could answer yes or no to this question. It all depends on why your are going to the therapist.

As so many have said, however, you needn't be afraid to discuss this with your therapist. Some may have negative thoughts about it - my wife's had negative thoughts about me wanting and using diapers. On the other hand, I began therapy because my wife insisted on it when she found out about my diapers. My therapist treated it as only a symptom of other issues which I've now been trying to deal with. The diapers themselves are a non-issue for him and has said I may never get past an urge to wear and use them. BTW, I'm very glad that I started the therapy because I've seen what I've known all along - I need some help with some issues that have followed me and shaped me my entire life. My wife thought I'd go and get 'fixed' of wanting diapers, but that has not been the case and I've dealt with bigger, more important issues.

There are many things about my life I've not brought up with the therapist - because at no time have they seemed at all relevant. On the other hand, I wouldn't be afraid to bring up anything at all IF it seems to have some connection at that point.

Good luck with your therapy and don't be afraid to come back to the forum to give us more detailed info so we can offer more clear, direct advice - should you want it.

• Like 1

I suppose it depends on what you are in therapy for. If you have accepted ABDL as part of who you are and can integrate it into a relatively stable and "normal" lifestyle then I wouldn't mention it at all b/c it isn't causing problems. On the other hand, if ABDL dominates your thoughts and controls your life you should probably mention it so you can get some help.

As I have said before, kinks and fetishes can be therapeutic, but they are no substitute for real therapy. If you are having trouble coping with daily existence and find yourself turning more and more to ABDL then definitely bring it up. Most modern therapists have an understanding of fetishism and shouldn't have a problem with it at all provided it is stably well integrated into your life.

• Like 1

Should you tell her you're AB/DL?

Yes, if you believe that's one of your 'issues'. But be warned. It may impair the relationship. Oh, she'll keep taking your money, but it should be apparent if she's really comfortable with the topic, or would much rather stick to vanilla subjects. Been there, done that.

I told my therapist, and now it's in my medical file, ya know, the one not only my doctor sees, but also my school because of some reason

And if I order something (diapers) my pharmacy too.

I shouldn't have done it, but if you already told your previous one you have nothing to lose