LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Will putting my wet IC bed pads on a 30 minute quick cycle be enough?

For them to be washed sufficiently? I've hang them on the washing line outside if it's a nice day or on the hot radiator. They seem okay?

6 minutes ago, Apache Raccoon said:

I think you should leave them wet and smelly

No way I would do this.

In my experience they might be ok for a period of time but incomplete washing may allow for a bacterial build-up inside the absorbent material.  Incomplete drying seems to make that worse (it happens to me quicker if I'm forced to tumble-dry instead of line drying).

When that happens, bacterial decomposition of any pee gets turbo-charged meaning they can smell of ammonia pretty much the moment pee hits them.  It's a risk with cloth nappies and I've found that routinely adding some washing anti-bacterial additive to the machine when running nappies through them helps.

• Like 1

I think oznl is probably right. I wash my nappies at 60C, on a full wash, and I use an anti-bacterial additive as well. 60C is recommended for babies' nappies, as far as I can make out.  Admittedly I've never tried washing at lower temperatures or for a shorter wash.  I don't think I'd risk it though.

If that is all you do, it will give you a smelly bed

I wash my diapers in lukewarm water, like I was everything else in. I am told that hot water is not necessary except now and then to "strip" them. I use a double rinse cycle. I use Tide. I learned this from a site that deals with cloth baby diapers. I avoid all "anti-bacterial" washing products as they bring about more resistant strains of bacteria. A good laundry detergent like Tide or Dreft has all that is needed to clean and whiten, containing both oxygen bleach and bluing ("potical whitening"). Also, if you just wet your diapers, leaving them wet in a seal or zippered wetproof container for a few days also bleaches them and probably kills a good deal of backteria as ammonia is quite poisonous and is used as a cleaning agent

When I switched to cloth, I started out using a regular wash cycle. Over time, I noticed I would get an ammonia smell within an hour or two of wearing them along with diaper rash. Fortunately, @oznl and @Little Sherri were discussing that very issue at the time. I wasn't able to get my wash temp up to 60C, unfortunately. There's about 30 feet of PEX from the hot water heater to the washer, plus the washer is a huge heat sink. The solution was to crank our dryer temp up to 60C (measured at the exhaust vent) instead.

The best solutions to cloth diapering problems are to be found on the websites devoted to infant cloth diapers.  If you are not already using white vinegar and lemon juice at the recommended points in the cycle, (be sure and double rinse), these sites will introduce you to how to integrate them into your laundry routine.

Also, if you can hang them on a clothes line to dry, sunlight remains the best disinfectant.

Let us be realistic: Who is going to hang adult diapers outside on a clothesline for all to see, even if they have one, which most persons do not?

I finally remember the baby diaper website that I referenced earlier

https://fluffloveuniversity.com/how-to-wash-cloth-diapers/

And to take care of your rubber panties

7 minutes ago, Little BabyDoll Christine said:

Let us be realistic: Who is going to hang adult diapers outside on a clothesline for all to see, even if they have one, which most persons do not?

One of my staff hung my IC bedwetting Kylie protecters on my clothesline when he emptied the washing machine once. It was quite obvious what they were but on a shared supported living complex of 6 people and many support staff coming and going nothing was said to me. When they are in the drier, dried he folds them up for me.

Everybody here knows I wear nappies, the only real insult I get is from David from his bungalow in the garden and when we have a fall out he insults me by saving 'go change your nappy'. I kinda like it.