LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Issues with smell.

Rue Rue

Hey, everyone. I am wondering if any actual incontinent people use a diaper pail. Right now I don't have one. I use a Home Depot bucket to put my used diaper in and after three days of diapers, used only at night, it gets that ammonia smell which stinks up me room and is extremely embarrassing. I end up turning on the A/C fan to just ventilate the ammonia stink. 

I want to know if there is a better option to use so I can still discreetly dispose of my wet diaper and not make my home smell when I open the "bucket", per sé. Like, does a pail make all the difference?

In advance, I appreciate any suggestions! I am trying to resolve this. 😑

18 hours ago, Rue Rue said:

Hey, everyone. I am wondering if any actual incontinent people use a diaper pail. Right now I don't have one. I use a Home Depot bucket to put my used diaper in and after three days of diapers, used only at night, it gets that ammonia smell which stinks up me room and is extremely embarrassing. I end up turning on the A/C fan to just ventilate the ammonia stink. 

I want to know if there is a better option to use so I can still discreetly dispose of my wet diaper and not make my home smell when I open the "bucket", per sé. Like, does a pail make all the difference?

In advance, I appreciate any suggestions! I am trying to resolve this. 😑

@Rue Rue:  I'm also using a 5 gal. paint bucket (currently one from Home Depot, so their orange bucket) with lid.  I will admit that I am probably a bit nose blind to the smell, and living alone can get away with that.  However, I usually keep the smell down.  It probably will get worse in warmer weather.  The ways I keep the smell down include:

• This is only wet (cloth) diapers.
  • The diapers are well rinsed when I take my morning shower, as I wear into the shower and then deliberately take actions to rinse out, ring out and re-rinse the diapers.
  • I then use a "wet" pail, that I use white vinigar and water for the base (bottom inch or so) prior to putting the wet diapers in it. 

I tend to wash about every 5 days.  I will admit by the 5th day I'm probably pushing it....

If you are dealing with disposable diapers, you need to change the strategy of how frequently you empty your inside bucket, and consider something that will better seal the package for disposal (i.e. like a Diaper Genie).

Best wishes.

• Like 1
On 6/11/2023 at 11:51 PM, zzyzx said:

@Rue Rue:  I'm also using a 5 gal. paint bucket (currently one from Home Depot, so their orange bucket) with lid.  I will admit that I am probably a bit nose blind to the smell, and living alone can get away with that.  However, I usually keep the smell down.  It probably will get worse in warmer weather.  The ways I keep the smell down include:

• This is only wet (cloth) diapers.
  • The diapers are well rinsed when I take my morning shower, as I wear into the shower and then deliberately take actions to rinse out, ring out and re-rinse the diapers.
  • I then use a "wet" pail, that I use white vinigar and water for the base (bottom inch or so) prior to putting the wet diapers in it. 

I tend to wash about every 5 days.  I will admit by the 5th day I'm probably pushing it....

If you are dealing with disposable diapers, you need to change the strategy of how frequently you empty your inside bucket, and consider something that will better seal the package for disposal (i.e. like a Diaper Genie).

Best wishes.

Yeah, I wear disposable breathable briefs. Tena cloth backed to be precise. 😐

• 1 month later...

Get some disposal bags.  They do work rather well.    Using BOS bags right now and they do seem to work better than OdorNo (and are cheaper too).   I bought both large and X-large .... and large is more than big enough to stuff a very wet X-large diaper into.  So the XL bags are overkill.   Medium bags might even work. 

https://www.amazon.com/bos-disposable-bags/s?k=bos+disposable+bags

Try putting baking soda in the pail or diaper