LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Little Sister Briana CH 40 (The Finale!) 11/07/21

4 hours ago, SolSombraYSoldados said:

e seems a lot older (deliberately so from a story perspective) because of her current health issues.

Ahh okay!

• Like 1

This is such a totally sweet chapter! And Michelle is such a wonderful, understanding, accepting person! Maybe there really is something special about Rasmussens!

• Like 1

I’m waiting for grandma to send Veronica to the corner and/or threaten to give her a bare bottom spanking ?

I really like grandma. Though I am surprised she didn’t say something like, “Why let her poop in the potty? She wearing a diaper and they’re made for that too.” While of course still taking her to the potty lol. 

I was actually expecting Veronica to hire some family “fixer” to do something to Bea to make sure she never does that to anyone again. Of course the list I came up with to do to her is long. Which does not include killing her. Just some humiliation, spankings, diapers and enemas to name a few lol. (Lots of pictures of course that she would never want to see the light of day)

• Like 1

This is it. SHOWDOWN time!

-----

The wind was blustering against the house, driving needles of frozen snow and ice into the windows. Everyone in the house was busy getting cozy. Melody was glad that Rosa had agreed to snuggle up in their bedroom. Getting a surprise grandma the night before had been amazing but confusing. Briana was in full hyper-baby mode, playing with or being played with by grandma. Melody needed time to think about all that.

Rosa had her arms around Melody. They were propped up in a corner between the headboard and the wall, surrounded by blankets and pillows. Neither of them had a book or a handheld game. Melody didn’t even have their phone out. The quiet comfiness was enough.

“Are you okay to talk more about the ageplay? How did yesterday feel?” Rosa asked.

“I liked it a lot. Being a baby feels good, but it’s really intense. If we do it often, for long periods of time, it feels better to be a kid instead of a baby.”

“You picked six as an age guide, does that still feel right?”

“I think so. Is it okay for you? Do you like it?”

“I like it even better than you as a baby. I think baby-Melody is a fun treat, but I’m fascinated by little kid Melody.”

Melody squirmed, seeking a position for maximum Rosa-contact.

“Of course, there are a few differences from a regular six year old.” Rosa said.

“I’m not an expert on kids that age. Plus it’s a game and stuff.”

“I know that, I was talking more about how you’re not potty trained, Niñe.” Rosa slipped her hand down to pluck at Melody’s pullup.

“Mamá!” Melody protested.

“You’re not as much of a potty pants as your sister. You did very well yesterday. Only one real accident, and a couple of little ones. You were soaked this morning though. It’s nighttime diapers for my Niñe for sure.”

Melody whined and hid their face against Rosa’s neck. Technically they were only a bedwetter when they slept with Rosa, or Veronica. But since Rosa was moving in, they’d be sleeping with her every night. Unless something changed, they really were a bedwetter now.

“Uh oh, my niñe’s feeling frisky.”

“I didn’t even…”

“I heard your breathing change.”

Melody squirmed, this time to rub against their girlfriend. “No fair.”

“Extra no fair, because we’re not done talking yet.”

“Mamá!” It was a whine worthy of Briana, if Melody did say so themself.

“Niñes that wear pullups can still get a pacifier put in their mouth.” Rosa warned.

“Nu uh. We couldn’t talk if I had one in.”

“Yes we could. I’d get interrupted a lot less if I was controlling when you could talk.”

Melody bit their lip. A much quieter whine of frustration escaped their teeth. They had no idea how Rosa expected to mommy them without Melody getting super horny.

“We’re still working out how much we do it. This morning, we slipped right into it. That felt good for me. Was it okay for you?”

“I really liked it.” Melody said, nuzzling Rosa’s collarbone.

“What do you think – about trying full time?” Rosa asked. “Over the rest of the break, to see what it’s like?”

“You mean, you’d be Mamá all day, every day?”

“That’s right. I’d start by getting you up and ready in the morning. Make sure you have your meals and do your chores. Correct your behavior if you’re naughty. Put you in your bedtime diaper and tuck you into bed.”

Melody’s heart was racing. It sounded wonderful. They wanted it so much that it scared them. If they tried it and it didn’t work, it would be like making a viral post and being instantly forgotten when it was done. How were you supposed to go back to regular life after something so huge?

“If – if it did work out, what would that be like with school?”

“About the same.” Rosa said, wrapping her arms tightly around Melody. It was less of a hug and more of a restraining hold. Melody surrendered to the feeling of safety it sent washing through them.

“I’d still get you up. Give you your lunch money. Take you to school and pick you up. I’m in charge of your homework and school projects already.”

“I wouldn’t drive?”

“Kids don’t drive themselves to school.”

“What about – other people?”

“You could have friends over of course. Or I’d take my niñe to see friends for playdates.”

Melody shivered. “Our schedules won’t always match. There’d be times when you couldn’t be around.”

“Those could be breaks.” Rosa said. “Or – if we were really lifestyle with it – I could arrange for babysitting or daycare.”

Melody bit back a confused moan. “You wouldn’t get tired of it? Of taking care of me all the time?”

“I can’t say for sure that I wouldn’t. That’s why I think we should try it for the rest of the break, when there’s less complications.”

Rosa kissed Melody’s neck. There was no holding back the moan that time.

“I don’t think I’ll get tired of taking care of you. I’m hungry for it. I have to stop myself from restarting the game whenever we take a break.”

“You won’t – stop liking me? I mean, stop being attracted? I don’t want to be only your kid.”

Rosa whispered in Melody’s ear. “Remember when I put my nipple in your mouth, and we had sex with you sucking on my breast? You were in a soaking diaper, totally babied out. It was the hottest sex I’ve had in my life.”

“Oh god, Mamá.” Melody moaned. “But that was one big morning. If we do it every day…”

“You can say no, my love. If what you’re scared of is that I’ll get bored, I’m not worried that that’ll happen. Talking about being your caregiver all the time has me craving it. Craving you.”

“I am scared, Mamá.”

“Let me show you something.”

Rosa took Melody’s hand, guiding it behind their back. Melody’s fingers pressed up against Rosa’s crotch and found dampness, all the way through her cotton shorts.

“Mamá, now you’re the one who’s wet!” Melody giggled.

“It’s a different kind of wet, Niñe.”

“No fair. If I was wet that way – augh!”

Melody tumbled forward, pushed and turned by Rosa. They let it happen, squirming against their girlfriend when she pinned them.

“That’s because you’re the Niñe. You’re my gorgeous, sexy, adorable little school kid. You have a family, but the romantic part of your heart belongs to me.”

Melody gripped Rosa’s hips with desperate strength. “It does. I know there was – so much that happened. It does now. Totally. I’m all yours.”

Rosa smiled. “I know sweetie…”

“Please listen. Mamá, it’s important. Please listen to me.”

“I’m listening, love.”

Melody stared into Rosa’s eyes intensely. They brought every barrier down that they could think of. All the awkwardness, self doubt, self consciousness, all the things that normally made walls between their eyes and their heart. They wanted – needed Rosa to be able to look all the way in.

“There’s no Beatrix anymore. There’s just you. It’s all you. I love you so much that I don’t know what to do sometimes.”

Rosa’s face was filled with so many emotions. Love, excitement, she looked almost dizzy. Her head came down, kissing Melody and biting their neck.

“Ah! What was that for?”

“Too many feels. I got overwhelmed and bitey.”

“Please make love to me.”

“I’ve wanted you all morning.”

Their lips met with desperate longing. Melody surrendered to the kiss. The clothing between them felt wrong, annoying. Melody worked their shorts down off their waist.

There was a knock at the door.

“Melody? Rosa? I’m really sorry to bother you, especially if you’re napping but…”

Rosa sat up suddenly. Melody looked over in shock to see the door opening – and just as quickly closing.

“Oh dear, I’m SO sorry! I got used to just opening Melody’s door. I will not do that again.”

“It’s okay Veronica. You can come in, we’re decent.”

Rosa gave a laughing sigh, sitting up and adjusting her shirt. Melody was only willing to roll over so they could lay their head in Rosa’s lap, still snuggled under the covers.

Veronica peeked in, entering shamefacedly once she’d had time to verify Rosa’s statement.

“I am really sorry. I wasn’t thinking.”

“It’s okay. I has to be pretty important for you to get that distracted. What’s going on?” Rosa idly petted Melody’s hair.

Melody gritted their teeth. Mommy should have told Mom to get out of the room. Or not come in at all. They could smell Rosa’s desire, they were vibrating with their own. Whatever dumb thing about holiday plans or chores or dinner that Veronica wanted to talk about wasn’t worth…

“I finally got in touch with Beatrix. She’s agreed to meet.”

The bottom dropped out of Melody’s stomach. All the sexy feelings vanished in a shiver that left their muscles tense.

“She’ll give back Melody’s bag and computer today. I have everything from yesterday ready for her. I’m sorry to spring this on you, especially considering what I interrupted, but we can finally be done with this. It will be over, today.”

“What time?” Rosa asked, with awe-inspiring calm.

“Right before lunch. Less than two hours.”

“I’ll get Melody ready.”

“I need to have a talk with them before we leave too. It can be brief. Just five minutes.”

“We’ll be ready in plenty of time before we have to go. Who’s coming with us?”

“Everyone.”

A tiny bit of tension gave way as Melody imagined Gary Oldman screaming EVERYONE! From Veronica’s tone it sounded like that meme actually fit their situation.

“Veronica. Thank you.”

“You’re family.” Veronica said, simply. “What’s mine is yours.”

“Woah, you don’t have to go that far.”

“We can talk about it later. On my end, the decision is already made.” Veronica said.

“You better believe we’ll talk about it.”

“I’ll let you two get ready.” Veronica said, smiling slyly.

When the door closed, Melody looked up at Rosa. She was still flushed. Hesitantly, Melody rubbed their girlfriend’s hip, trying to recapture some of the earlier feeling.

“Rosa, I can still – do stuff.”

“Niñe, don’t be silly, of course we aren’t going to.” Rosa hauled Melody up, hugging them tightly.

Melody relaxed with a heavy sigh.

“You better brace yourself for tonight, though.” Rosa said, teasingly.

Melody giggled. The giggles trailed off too fast. Heavy feelings settled into their chest. “I have to be brave again, don’t I?”

“You ARE brave.” Rosa said. “You did a hard thing yesterday. There’s one more to do today. I’ll be with you every second, just like yesterday.”

“I’m so scared, Mamá. I don’t want to see her again.”

“This is the last time. We need to close that book forever, or it’ll haunt you.”

Melody sighed. They nuzzled Rosa’s chest. “I trust you. I love you.”

“I love you too.”

-----

They snuggled together for a while. Not long enough. Melody was surprised and a little worried to find out they needed a change. They hadn’t even noticed wetting. If it was out of fear, or stress, they didn’t know. Rosa cleaned them up and bundled them into warm clothes. Melody thought they’d get a diaper after wetting like that, but Rosa put them in a pullup when she dressed them.

Melody only had one demand during the process. They made Rosa help them dig through their clothes until they found their “There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand Binary, and those who don’t.” shirt.

“What’s special about that shirt?” Rosa asked, while she tied Melody’s shoes.

“It’s the shirt I was wearing when I agreed to move in here. The day I met Briana.”

Rosa grinned. “Good choice then. Then and today.”

The living room was filling up with people. It was almost the entire Thanksgiving crowd, minus Suzie’s friends. Suzie was there though, as was Erin. They were both talking to Grandma. Casey, Maryam, and Gary were a trio of giants, passing a very giggly Briana back and forth. Mom and Dad were standing together, looking tough.

“Melody’s ready.” Rosa said.

“Thank you Rosa. Melody, I need you for five minutes.”

Melody followed Mom to the drawing room, leaving Mamá and Dad to talk. Veronica sat them on the couch and took a seat next to them, stroking their hair.

“I’m so proud of you, Little One. I want you to know that everyone in the living room loves you. We’re all here for you today.”

“Thanks Mom.” Melody said, leaning into the touch. “I’m still scared.”

“I know. No one will let Beatrix touch you. She will not get within five feet of you. That is a hard promise. We have some big people with us that are very upset with Beatrix. They will be watching her like hawks.”

Melody nodded.

“I’m going to do most of the talking. If there’s anything you want to say to Beatrix, you can, but you don’t have to do much.”

“I don’t want to talk to her at all.”

“I know. My Melody, I wish I could spare you this entirely.” Veronica kissed Melody’s forehead. “It’s important that you be there. I have one thing I need you to do today. The rest of it your family can handle.”

“What do I have to do?”

Cold fear gripped Melody’s gut as Veronica explained. For a moment, they felt like they couldn’t get air. Veronica had to explain it three times, increasingly gently, before the terror receded to the back of Melody’s mind.

“What if I do it wrong?” Melody wrung their hands.

“You can’t do it wrong. All you’re doing is making a choice. It’s your choice to make, so whichever one you make, that will be the right one.”

“Mom, can’t you decide?”

“No sweetie. Some things are for you to decide. This is one of them.”

“Mom…”

“Yes Melody?”

Melody whispered, “Don’t let me fall.”

“Never.” Veronica said, fiercely, pulling Melody into a tight hug. “I’ll never let that happen to you.”

“Okay.” Melody said, gripping Mom just as tightly. “I think I can do it.”

“I know you can. Come on. Let’s get this person out of our life.”

-----

Dad drove, with Mom in the front and Mama cuddled up against Melody in the back. Briana was on the other side, clinging to Melody with her signature total abandon. She hadn’t held anything back, from the moment she’d met Melody. They didn’t know how their sister did it, but they knew they’d be grateful to her for the rest of their life.

The meeting was to be on campus, apparently. Melody hadn’t thought to ask. Maryam’s SUV pulled up on their left, Gary’s truck on the right. Grandma stayed in the truck, but everyone else gathered on the little plaza next to the parking lot. There was a statue of a bird dissolving into wind.

Campus art. Melody shook their head. They reached out to Rosa and Veronica, taking their hands. Her Mom and Mommy gave their hands a reassuring squeeze. Dad was right behind them.

They didn’t have to wait long for Beatrix. She’d parked at a different lot. Bea was wearing her armor for sure. She’d gone all out, looking like a damn supermodel in her unzipped coat with her hair and makeup perfectly done. Though she was alone, her confidence and beauty gave her an aura of importance, like a celebrity.

Power-hot. That’s what I used to call it.

Bea stopped a good twenty feet away, surveying the group. She even posed a little with a hand on her hip. Fearlessly, she walked up to the group, her face composed in an annoyed mask.

“This is a lot of people for little-old me.” Beatrix said. “Am I about to get jumped?”

“Not unless you try to touch Melody.” Veronica said. “Getting in arm’s length of them would be very unwise.”

“Am I talking to you or Melody right now? Are you her mommy? Can I get a fucking permission slip to talk to my goddamn girlfriend?”

“Hey, Beatrix. Hi, I’m Suzie.” Suzie said. “Stop misgendering Melody. You don’t know me, but I will happily do a weekend in jail to pop you in the mouth.”

Beatrix blinked, giving Suzie a skeptical glance. Suzie looked back at Beatrix with a sort of Harley Quinn smile on her face. She and Bea had the same kind of energy sometimes, Melody realized. Thankfully, there was way less of it in Suzie.

“Fine. Break out the fucking drum circle. Let’s get this over with. Who am I talking to? Do we need to go round robin? Is there a number system?”

“You’re talking to me.” Veronica said. “Do you know who I am, Beatrix?”

“Yeah, you’re Veronica, mistress of the night. You’re Melody’s landlord and mommy, which is super fucked up, and you put girls in diapers. Is there like, something in the lease about that? Do you get to pick out your diapers when you choose a room?”

“Did you ever think to wonder why I own a house, as a post-doc?”

“I’m sure your parents hooked you up. Did you have to wear the diapers for a while to get it?”

“It is a family house. There’s a reason that I’m the owner, rather than my mother, or my sister. You see, the first woman in my family to come to this country bought that house. Tess Rasmussen lived there when she first came to Ardenthill, while she was making her fortune in fishing and mining.”

“Okay, I don’t know how much longer I can deal with the family history thing. Melly’s important to me, but there’s a limit, even for them.”

“I promise it’s relevant. One of the things Tess did with her fortune was found the Design College of Ardenthill. It’s the Ardenthill Bioscience and Design University now, of course. Whoever owns Tess’s house has to serve as the family’s representative on the University’s board of trustees.”

Beatrix frowned, something like fear or wariness showing on her face for the first time.

Veronica pulled an envelope out of her purse and handed it to Suzie. Suzie delivered it to Beatrix.

“You are expelled from the Ardenthill Bioscience and Design University.”

“WHAT?” Beatrix ripped the letter out of Suzie’s hands. “Just because you’re a trustee doesn’t mean you have the authority to, to…”

“I had a long conversation with the President of the college, the Dean of Arts and Sciences, the Vice President of Student Affairs, and Mark, the Dean of the Economics department. You know Mark, don’t you?”

Beatrix had the letter open and was furiously skimming it.

“You’ll find all their signatures at the bottom of that letter. Furthermore, Mark was kind enough to offer to ensure that you will be blacklisted at all Economics graduate program in the United States. Graduate positions are competitive and academia is a small world. No accredited University is going to take you.”

“You fucking bitch. You want a lawsuit? You think I’m penniless?”

“Oh yes, the lawsuit. I was going give you that one third, but we can do it now.” Veronica handed another letter to Suzie to relay.

“If you release the media you have with Melody in it, you will be hit by a SLAPP suit and a separate DMCA claim for every image and video.”

Beatrix made a strangled noise.

“That letter is from my lawyer, Simon. He is at this moment sitting on a twenty thousand dollar retainer for the suit.” Veronica paused for a moment as Beatrix’s eyes bugged out.

“Typically, you would expect to pay at least two thirds of what the suing party does, to successfully fight a suit. So it would likely cost you at least fourteen thousand dollars to fight it, even if I don’t put another penny in.”

“You can’t just…”

We’re not done.” The polite neutrality had dropped out of Veronica’s voice. There was fury in her tone that made Melody flinch. Even Beatrix shied back a little.

“You assaulted my child. You vandalized their car. You made threats against their life. Credible, detailed threats as part of the vandalism and on electronic communication.”

“Oh let me guess, you’re going to report me to the police?”

Veronica laughed. That really took the wind out of Beatrix’s sails. Bea was starting to look wild, like a trapped animal.

“Oh goodness, Beatrix, no. People like me don’t make a report at the station. I spoke with Ardenthill’s district attorney, of course. He’s a good friend of the family. My mother throws him the nicest parties every election year.”

“I have a letter from him here too. Think of it as sort of a pre-arrest-warrant.” Veronica said. Suzie delivered the letter with a very satisfied smile.

There was real panic on Beatrix’s face now. Melody was surprised to discover that they didn’t feel badly for her at all. They thought back to their conversation with Veronica and braced themself. Their part was coming up soon.

“So that’s it? You’re going to bully me with your money and privilege? Not very fucking woke, is it?”

“That is exactly what I’m going to do. What did you think would be the price of attacking my family? If Melody had been willing to cooperate earlier, I would have acted sooner.”

“That could be your one saving grace. None of these letters have been officially sent yet. There’s one person here who can make all this go away.”

Beatrix’s eyes flashed across the group like a hunted animal.

“It’s Melody, Beatrix. If they forgive you, if they ask me to withhold one or all of these letters, I will.”

“That’s what I came here to do! To make things right with Melody!” Beatrix shouted in panic.

“Melly, baby, you don’t want her to do all this to me, do you? You’ve known me way longer than these people. Please – I fucked up, I know that. I got crazy. When you left me, I freaked out, I lost control. I know what I did was wrong.”

Melody licked their lips. Mom and Mommy were holding her hands super tightly. Melody shook their head at Beatrix.

“You showed me who you really are.”

“No, that’s just me hurting. We were going to take over the world together, remember? It was so good! Don’t you remember our night together? It was perfect. Melly, please. I need you. You can’t destroy me. You love me. We’re in love. You said you’d love me forever, back in the day. You meant it, didn’t you?”

Melody took a deep breath. They were astoundingly calm. Veronica was at their left, standing like a judge or a queen. Rosa was at her right, solid like a rock and full of love. Dad had her hands on their shoulders.

Beatrix was smiling, beautiful, enticing. She was everything she’d always been, dialed up to eleven. Melody could finally see through the masks. The tightness at the corner of Bea’s eyes showed that the fury was still there. She didn’t love anyone, couldn’t love anyone. She just wanted a way out.

“Beatrix.” Melody said. “Don’t talk to me or my family ever again.”

“No I – fine, okay, if that’s what you want. But you’re not going to let Veronica do all that to me, right? Please, Melly, I saved you. You can save me. I’m Beatrix. I’m your Bea.”

Melody should have been surprised at how fast Bea agreed to never talk to them again, moments after professing her undying love. They weren’t surprised at all. All they felt was resignation. They could feel an ending.

“Now you’re just somebody that I used to know.” Melody said. “Mom, go ahead with the letters.”

“NO!” Beatrix’s scream was bloodcurdling. She lurched forward.

Gary, Casey, Maryam, and Suzie puffed up their chests and stepped in. Suzie was comically small by comparison to the other three, but she was out in front to throw hands. Beatrix skidded to a stop and took several hopping steps back.

“I didn’t bring the laptop, if you want that back you’ll have to…”

“The police are already at your vehicle.” Veronica said, calmly.

“What? BULLSHIT!”

“I asked them to come today and keep an eye on you. They’ve been watching you since you drove to campus. They staked out your vehicle after you left it. You’ll be riding back with them, today.”

“Fuck you!” Beatrix turned to run.

“Gary.” Veronica said.

Gary and Casey both grabbed Beatrix. She screamed again, thrashing. She had no chance of freeing either arm from the holds on them.

“This is assault!”

“This is a citizens arrest, while I let the police know that the perpetrator they’re looking for is here.” Veronica ended the call she’d just made and put her phone back in her purse. “You can complain directly to the officers in a few minutes.”

“I’ll kill you.” Beatrix said, with pure venom. “I’ll get all of you. You think I’ll be in jail forever? When I get out…”

“If I have anything to do with it, you’ll be in prison, not jail.” Veronica said. “There are the officers now. Thank you gentlemen, you can take her, please.”

Beatrix fought the officers too, screaming incoherently. They were a lot less gentle with her than Gary and Casey had been. As soon as Beatrix was out of line of sight, the dam of Melody’s calm broke. They shuddered, clinging to their caregivers.

“That was crazy. Thank you for doing that for me. Everybody… thank you.”

“We love you.” Rosa said.

The general murmur of agreement that followed made Melody want to laugh and cry at the same time. There were people all around them, hugging them, ruffling their hair, congratulating them.

Melody heard someone exhale with a big ‘oof’ next to her. Briana wormed her way into the middle, working her elbows like she was in a mosh pit. She threw herself on Melody and hugged them so intensely that she was practically climbing them.

“Sib! You did it! You were so awesome and calm and brave!”

“Thanks Bri.” Melody said, through a haze of tears.

“I saw what you did! You memed Beatrix twice! The somebody I used to know one was obvious, but the don’t talk to me was one too. I got the reference!”

Melody laughed all the way from their belly. “Good job sis. You’re right.”

“I knew it!” Briana giggled.

Briana nuzzled Melody fiercely, not letting go even when the huddle around Melody broke up. It took Gary grabbing her and putting her up on his shoulders for Briana to relent.

“That was some amazing drama.” Suzie said. “What now?”

“We go home and have a wonderful Christmas, as a family.” Veronica said.

“Well said, Vonnie.” Michelle said.

“Thanks Mom.”

“I’m so proud of you.” Michelle hurried over with her cane and put her arms around Veronica. “You did it exactly right. You protected our family and the family’s honor at the same time. Magna Grandma would be proud of you too.”

For once, Veronica didn’t have any words. She hugged Grandma happily with a huge sigh of relief.

“Heh, Beatrix is lucky that Magna Grandma wasn’t the one to deal with her!” Briana said.

“We don’t have to go that far back.” Grandma said. “She’s lucky it wasn’t my grandmother taking care of it.”

“That’s right.” Veronica said. “Great Grandma Ashley was a bootlegger.”

“She was?” Melody asked.

“My Grandmother?” Michelle said. “You’d better believe she was. She had some rough associates.”

“That’s your great-great Grandmother, Melody.” Veronica said.

“Oh uh, I’m really glad you let me call you Mom but it doesn’t have to go that far.”

“You already call me Grandma.” Michelle said. “In for a penny, in for a pound of powder, as Magna Grandma used to say.”

“Okay.” Melody blushed. Rosa hugged them from behind and they leaned into her.

“I know we’re off to celebrate, but I’d like some time with my other grandchild if I can get it. I haven’t gotten to know this brave kid yet.”

“Do you want to take Rosa and Melody out for lunch?” Veronica asked.

“I’m glad you suggested it!” Grandma said. “The car will be here for us in five minutes.”

“You already ordered a car?”

“You’re not the only one with a fancy cell phone, Vonnie.”

“Really? Because I thought that if you had a cell phone, you would have used it when you started having health problems, not after you’d been hospitalized.”

Grandma cackled! “Please pay attention, everyone. This is what it looks like when you raise your daughter right. You’re right, Vonnie. I’ll do better. I’m not used to relying on my daughter. It wasn’t that long ago I was wiping your snotty nose.”

“It looks like your car is here, Michelle.” Jane said. “Rosa, you’re in charge of Michelle until you get back to the house.”

“Gotcha, Jane.” Rosa said.

“Excuse me, Ms. Müller?” Michelle said archly.

“I’m helping you keep the promise you just made to your daughter.” Jane said mildly.

“Hmm, you’ve got hidden depths. You might just be a match for my Vonnie. Keep an eye on this one, Vonnie. She’s sneaky.”

“Believe me, I know it all too well.” Veronica said with a soft smile.

-----

The three of them got in the back seat of the car, with Melody in the middle. They were still a little uncomfortable around Grandma. It was awkward to be right up against her. Though she seemed nice, she was a stranger. Melody wished they had Briana’s ability to instantly accept people.

“We might as well start getting to know each other.” Grandma said. “Melody, how old are you?”

“Twenty three.”

“I’m sorry, I knew that. I’m asking how old you – present. Is that the right word?”

“I think it’s a good way to say it.” Rosa said. “Melody and I are still narrowing that down, but right now we’ve settled on six.”

“Thank you. I needed to know for the Christmas presents I’m going to get.”

“You don’t have to get me anything, Grandma.”

“Melody, you’ve got a lot to learn about being a kid still. Never tell your Grandma she doesn’t have to give you a present. I won’t listen and you don’t really mean it.”

Melody squirmed and smiled.

“What about clothes? I see you’re a very handsome kindergartener. Would you wear a suit, if you had one?”

“Um, maybe? If it wasn’t totally a boy’s suit?”

“I can work with that.”

“Why do I need a suit, Grandma?”

“So you can go out nice places with me. Have you ever been to the opera?”

“No. It’s not really my thing.”

“How would you know if it’s your thing, if you haven’t tried it?”

Rosa giggled. “Listen to your Grandma, Niñe.”

“Is it alright if I call you Michelle?” Rosa asked.

“For now that will work.” Grandma said.

“Thanks. Michelle, I’m sure that Melody would love to go to the opera with their grandmother. Wouldn’t you, Niñe?”

Melody kicked the seat console in front of them grumpily. “Yes Mamá.”

“You’ve got this one’s number. Well done, Rosa. It’s not easy taking on a kid you didn’t start out with from the beginning.”

“I’m really curious about that.” Rosa said.

“Ever since Tess, Rasmussen women don’t get married. That doesn’t mean we don’t want to pass down our legacy, or that we don’t want someone to take care of. There are always wonderful girls that need adopting.”

“That’s amazing.”

The car had come to a stop. Rosa climbed out and hurried around to the other side, opening Michelle’s door for her. Grandma gave a single eyeroll before allowing herself to be helped out of the car.

“Melody, be careful, don’t cross the street by yourself.” Rosa said.

“I wasn’t going to.” Melody said, blushing and stepping back from the street.

Rosa made them walk over to the crosswalk to get to the restaurant. She had Grandma leaning on one arm and was holding Melody’s hand with the other.

The restaurant was really cool, with model train tracks winding around every wall and even crossing bridges to reach all the tables. The trains were carrying plates of food. Melody watched in fascination as one of the trains went by, wondering if destinations were programmed or more manually managed.

Melody ordered chicken nuggets with a side of garlic bread off the kids’ menu and nobody teased them about it. They were sitting next to Grandma, but other than answering her questions, they didn’t participate much in the conversation. Between the food and the passing trains, Melody was too distracted.

By the time they’d ordered dessert, Melody was feeling a lot more comfortable. They tried leaning against Grandma and were rewarded with an arm around their waist.

They kicked their feet, wishing that Rosa had let them order the giant cookie as well as the ice cream for dessert. Forced to make a choice, the ice cream had won Melody over despite the cold. They’d seen how much whipped cream they put on the ice cream when it passed by on a train.

Grandma only ate one bite of the cookie she ordered for dessert. The rest ended up in Melody’s ice cream. It was fun seeing Rosa exasperated but unable to do anything. Melody was more excited about the idea of having a grandma all the time.

When the dessert was gone, they leaned their head on Grandma’s shoulder and tuned out the conversation. Grandma had to nudge them a bit to get their attention.

“Melody, do you need to potty?”

“I don’t think so, Grandma.”

“Why don’t you go check? The bathroom is over there. Do you think you can go on your own?”

“Of course I can.” Melody said, confused. “But I don’t have to go.”

“Try anyway, okay? Humor your old grandma.”

Rolling their eyes, Melody made their way to the restroom. It was a private one, at least. They took a seat on the toilet and waited. Grandma was being dumb, or just teasing them. They didn’t have to go…

Splashing in the toilet made Melody cringe. How had Grandma known when they hadn’t? Why hadn’t they known? Because I wasn’t paying attention. I was letting Mamá and Grandma handle everything.

Melody sighed and shrugged. Mama and Grandma had handled it. It had been so well handled that they hadn’t even had an accident.

Back at the table, Rosa had an odd look on her face. Grandma looked satisfied. The two of them were acting really weirdly.

“What’s going on?”

“Nothing Niñe, ready to go home?”

“Tell me!” Melody insisted.

“Did you get all your potty out?” Grandma asked.

Melody blushed and ducked their head. “Yes Grandma.”

“I thought so.” Grandma chuckled. “Come on, let’s get home so the nice gentleman driving our car can get back to his home.”

Back home, everyone had stuck around for lunch. Melody endured another round of congratulations and hugs bashfully. They were happy to curl up at Rosa’s side when that was over. Even so, Melody was in high demand. Their family didn’t let them retreat and be quiet that afternoon. When tea was served, Melody had to help Veronica, and ended up sitting on her lap. After tea, Melody was next to Grandma again.

They were feeling pretty sleepy from the huge meal they’d had, plus the extra cookies at tea time. Getting their head petted by Grandma was too much to resist. Melody dozed off with their head on Grandma’s shoulder.

Melody was at the center of things after dinner too. They were on the floor with Briana, surrounded by the adults. Occasionally someone would send Melody or their sister to fetch something from the kitchen.

By bedtime, Melody was socially exhausted and filled to the brim with happiness. They thought they were ready to fall straight into bed. Rosa had other ideas. Between undressing Melody and getting them into pajamas and a diaper, Melody got pounced.

A long sweaty hour past their bedtime, Melody was finally getting their nightclothes. Feeling better than they’d ever thought possible, Melody fell asleep in the middle of being diapered.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

I've been waiting for this since the chapter in which Beatrix was introduced! Nicely done! I don't see how this could have gone any better...but what was that thing between Michelle and Rosa?

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, kerry said:

I've been waiting for this since the chapter in which Beatrix was introduced! Nicely done! I don't see how this could have gone any better...but what was that thing between Michelle and Rosa?

Finally! Ding dong the witch is dead! :)

As for that THING...   stay tuned!  There are two chapters left, Christmas from Melody's pov, then Christmas from Briana's POV. It's a super indulgent double Christmas denouement! 

• Like 1

Hey y'all, it's Christmas! Melody style. Even totally gay disaster babies get to be happy sometimes. :)

-----

The days leading up to Christmas were magical. Melody had once scoffed at their sister for using that word to describe something as dumb as a holiday, but Briana was right. Waking up every morning next to Rosa and being tenderly cared for by her was magical. Snowball fights in the morning with Briana were enchanting. Veronica’s gentle reassurance and care during the day was a marvel. Michelle’s doting was miraculous.

They didn’t worry about being a kid in front of their roommates anymore. When all the alpha ladies in the house were treating Melody that way, no one else’s opinion seemed to matter. Suzie could call Melody kiddo all she wanted, it didn’t sting anymore. On the contrary, they were learning tricks from their sister to exploit it.

When Rosa put the potty calendar in their room, Melody didn’t cringe. They were genuinely proud of the stars that went on the calendar. Especially so, when Briana got jealous about those stars.

School was still an uncertain thing on the horizon. It was hard to tell how being a Rosa’s kid would work once classes and labs started. It didn’t matter, because happiness seemed possible; that was the real magic.

It was Christmas-eve-eve-eve, according to Briana, who had taken over the house’s understanding of measurements. Everything was now understood only in its relationship to Christmas day. Dinner tonight was three dinners to Christmas, the temperature was projected-Christmas-temperature +4, the number of people in the house was counted relative to how many people would be home on Christmas day.

Melody watched Rosa put a check mark on the calendar, three pullup-checks of six passed for the day. Three more and there’d be a star covering the checkmarks.

“Good job Niñe, you’re almost to four stars in a row!”

Melody beamed proudly and squirmed in for a hug. That was another technique their sister had taught them. Melody had gotten more hugs in the last week than they had in their entire life before.

Looking at the woman they called Mamá, Melody was blown away by how much they loved her. Rosa had gone from a crush to a pillar of Melody’s life. They felt safe around her without reservation.

I think this is that unconditional love thing. It’s pretty amazing.

Melody didn’t have any memes to make fun of themself with for that corny thought. It stood on its own, powerful and tall. Cold winds of doubt or fear were buffeted away by it, never making it in to touch Melody.

“You know, if you keep this up, we can work on your nighttime wetting too.” Rosa said.

“No more diapers at night?” Melody asked. There was an odd twinge there along with the expected pride.

“Not if you don’t need them. We might keep you in pullups at night anyway, to be safe. Even if you graduate to big-kid underwear during the day.”

“I trust you, Mamá.” Melody said, leaning their head on Rosa’s shoulder. It felt amazing to set their worries on Rosa and Veronica. They knew that it was possible for those worries to be too much for their Mom and Mama, but that wasn’t a worry. By now, Melody trusted their caregivers to tell them if something needed to change.

“You are SO sweet lately. Is this the Christmas spirit?”

“This is how I feel around you all the time.”

“Oh Niñe.” Rosa said, crushing Melody with her sporty arms until they squeaked.

“Melody!” Veronica called from the living room. “I need your help with these packages. I hope you’re ready to go shopping with me too!”

“Coming Mom!” Melody called.

“Are you coming with us, Mamá?”

“I have my own chores. Did you know there wasn’t going to be any Ensalada Rusa for Christmas?”

“Ensa-what?”

“Potato salad. I understand not having pavo navideño, Michelle wants a white people turkey, but they weren’t going to have any tamales either. It’s not Navidad without volteado de piña o ponche Navideño either.”

“Mamá, I don’t know what any of that stuff is.”

“Which is a great tragedy, Niñe. Your mamá is going to fix it.”

“Melody!” Veronica called again.

“Go help Mom. We can talk about the Christmas food later.” Rosa said, patting Melody’s butt.

Melody hurried out to the living room. There were half a dozen packages on the porch, and as many already inside. They were coming by the truckload lately. It made sense with how many people they had. Especially with Michelle re-routing all her presents to Veronica’s house.

Briana had been banned from helping with packages, so Melody was Veronica’s go-to. The first time Bri had seen a literal pile of presents on the stoop, the little gremlin had almost vibrated herself into another dimension. They grabbed the rest of the packages from outside, carefully sorting them into named bins.

“Sorry Mom, Mamá was talking to me about Christmas stuff.”

“We need some kind of signal that the other one has you in tow.” Veronica said. “I’m not as connected to her as I am to Jane. Maybe Rosa could make some kind of Melody management app.”

Melody blushed. Rosa certainly could, in an afternoon. Like so many recent additions to their life, the prospect of having a caregiver-state-machine app was at once embarrassing and comforting.

“Okay Little One, I need you to get your outside clothes on. Do you need to potty first?”

“Mamá just checked me. I have three checkmarks so far today!”

“I’m proud of you.” Veronica said warmly.

The warmth of Mom’s voice and smile ignited a happy inferno that erupted in Melody’s chest. They scurried to get ready. Snow clothes were always at the door and ready go. It’d become a necessity to have them there, with the daily snowball fights between Melody and Briana.

Geared in a hat, jacket, snow pants, and boots, Melody presented themself to Mom and was hustled off to the car. They sat in the back, since Mom and Mama both agreed that kids shouldn’t sit in the front seat. At least they didn’t have to use a car seat, which was Briana’s new rule.

“Are we going grocery shopping?”

“I wish that was all. Groceries are our last trip. We have to talk to the people delivering the firewood, send out some letters, and pick up some medical equipment for your Grandmother too.”

“Is Grandma okay?”

“She will be, if she uses the equipment her doctors prescribed for her.”

“I can help her set it up.” Melody said, sitting up eagerly. “She can’t say no if I help her with it and ask her how it’s going.”

“That is amazingly sweet. Do you really want to do that? You’ll be checking on a crotchety old lady.”

“She’s not like that with me.”

Veronica laughed. “I suppose she’s not. Melody, I want you to know I’m not worried about what I’m about to say with your Grandmother, or anyone else in particular. However, if anyone in the family ever makes you feel uncomfortable or hurts you, please tell me, or Jane, or Rosa right away.”

“Okay Mom.”

“I mean it, Melody. You’re not so good with those kinds of boundaries. I want you to know that you’re always safe, even if someone makes a mistake or turns out to not be the person we thought they were. Please promise me that you’ll tell us if something happens.”

Melody pawed awkwardly at their hat with their mittens. Mom let them have their squirmy moment. Finally, they felt the cringe fade away.

“Okay Mom. I promise.”

“Thank you, Little One.”

Melody hugged themself as another wave of warm fuzzies washed over them. “I love you so much, Mom.”

“I love you too.” Veronica said, dabbing at her eyes.

Melody stuck close enough to Veronica on their errands that they got a few odd looks. They didn’t care. They needed to be as close to Mom as possible. Veronica didn’t seem to mind either, even putting her arm around Melody while she talked to the firewood people, and while she listened to the long list of instructions for Grandma’s medical equipment.

“Mom,” Melody asked as the pile of groceries in their cart grew ever larger. “What happens after Christmas? Is Grandma going to be okay to go home on her own?”

“My sister, Kiara, will be back from Geneva on the twenty seventh. She’d be back faster but there are no open flights this close to the holiday. She can take care of Grandma for a few weeks.”

“But what about after?” Melody asked, frowning. “Grandma mentioned that she lives alone a lot of the time.”

“We’ll have to hire a caregiver, I suppose.”

“Mom, that sucks.”

“Melody, that’s not nice language to use with your mother.”

“Sorry Mom, but I don’t like it. She should come live with us.”

“Your grandmother has six enormous Irish wolfhounds. I don’t think they would fit in the house.”

“There should still be a way.” Melody said. “I don’t want Grandma to leave. Briana doesn’t either.”

“That’s sweet, but she’s put a lot of work and love into her home. We can go visit her, often.”

Melody was not convinced. Clearly, this called for bigger guns. They were so distracted thinking about the problem that they forgot to ask Veronica to take them to the restroom before they checked out of the grocery store. Luckily, Melody managed to hold it until they got home, but it was a close one.

They collected their checkmark from Rosa as quickly as possible and hunted down their sister. Briana was in a baby coma on the drawing room floor, next to an empty bowl. The bowl had looked like one of the candy dishes.

“Bri, snap out of it. I need your help.”

“Muh?” Briana asked.

“Come on, sis! I’m calling an emergency sibling meeting.”

“Like for Cloudland?”

“No, for real life. Come on, we have to do it in your room.”

Briana sat and stretched. “Ugh, but I’m wet.”

“Dude!” Melody rolled their eyes. “Bri, this is about Grandma, you can get changed later. You’ve been sitting in that thing for a while anyway.”

“Okay, okay!” Briana crawled to her feet maddeningly slowly.

Melody pulled their sister through the living room as quickly as they could, desperate to dodge any more chores requests. Melody closed the door to Briana’s room and sat their sister’s soggy butt on the floor.

“Okay, Bri, here’s the deal. Mom and I went to pick up all kinds of medical equipment for Grandma today. She needs help, and I don’t want her to go back home.”

“She’s leaving?” Briana asked, suddenly worried.

“Yeah, a couple of days after Christmas.”

“I don’t want her to leave either!”

“Right, but she has a bunch of huge dogs.” Melody said. “So she can’t stay in the house.”

“I like dogs though.”

“Each of these dogs weighs more than Dad, and there are six of them.”

“Woah, big doggies.”

“Focus Bri! I think Grandma should buy the house next door.”

“Is it for sale?” Briana asked. That was a good sign. Their sister’s brain was waking up a little.

“I think it’s a rental, but it’s empty right now. Grandma might already own it. The point is, Mom doesn’t think Grandma going home is a big deal. It’s up to you and me to convince her.”

“We can do it! When’s she supposed to go home?”

“I told you, two days after Christmas. But you know how Mom and everybody is. They won’t change their minds on the day of about something that’s been planned. I think we lose if we don’t convince them by Christmas.”

“Got it. You can count on me, sib.”

Melody leaned in and hugged Briana tightly. They got back one of Briana’s impressively strong hugs in return.

“Okay, operation Grandma Next Door is on. I’ll find Grandma and drop some hints to get things going. You should find Dad and get changed. That diaper’s been wet for a while, potty pants.”

“You’re a potty pants too!”

“Nuh uh! Three stars in a row, and four check marks already today.” Melody said smugly.

“No fair, I was supposed to be potty training.”

“Babies don’t potty train.” Melody said, sticking out their tongue.

“I’m not a baby!”

“You’re such a baby.” Melody said, laughing. “Way more than you were when I moved in. It’s really good on you.”

“Really? You like it?”

“Doesn’t it feel good? You look happier, like I was when I changed my pronouns.”

“I do but – you don’t think people want me to be a big girl?”

“Who? Mom and Dad love you. Rosa thinks you’re adorable. Grandma is nuts about you. I mean, MAYBE Suzie or Gary would have an objection to you as a big baby but…”

“Oh uh, not Gary.” Briana said, blushing and clearing her throat. “He’s um, pro baby.”

“Oh yeah?”

Briana squirmed and rolled over on her belly, hiding her head under a stuffie.

“He wants me to be super babied out for a whole couple of days with him. Even um… not using the potty at all. For anything.”

“Woah. Is that okay with you?” Melody sat down hard, wincing at the lack of padding in their pullup. They stroked Briana’s back gently.

“Well I um – I got him a Christmas present. It’s a pretty pink straightjacket – designed for girls in diapers.”

Melody giggled. “You’re really going to do it? You know what? Good for you. I look forward to seeing if there are any changes when you come back.”

“Huh, like what?”

“Like if you’re a poopy pants instead of a potty pants!”

“Nu uh! I don’t do that except for – the thing with Gary.” Briana said, throwing her stuffie at Melody. “I’m not a poopy baby.”

“Not yet you aren’t.” Melody said, smirking and bouncing the stuffie off Briana. “Anyway, go get changed. Operation Grandma Next Door, remember?”

“I remember, even if you’re a jerk.”

“No fighting with your sibling, it’s almost Christmas!”

“No fair!”

Melody giggled wickedly and hopped up, fleeing the room ahead of a hail of stuffies.

-----

At first, Grandma blew the idea of moving in next door off as quickly as Mom had. Melody resorted to underhanded tactics, like bringing Grandma tea without being asked, and pointing out how nice the house next door was whenever they were by a window together. It earned Melody a pinch and being sent off to ‘find something productive to do’ on more than one occasion.

When Melody caught Grandma eyeing the house and making comments about the size of its yard to Jane, Melody knew their tactics were working. They weren’t sure what Briana was doing for the cause specifically, but they knew she wouldn’t forget something so important.

Christmas Eve was a nightmare of activity. It was the big night for Mexico, so Rosa had taken over the dinner, leaving Christmas day for Veronica. She wanted her Niñe helping her all day. The house had to be cleaned for Krampus too, which meant that whenever Rosa was waiting on something to cool, or bake, or rise, Melody was helping their increasingly frantic sister.

By the time they were setting the dinner table, Melody’s fingers ached from tying tamales and scrubbing floors. They’d been so busy that they’d missed two potty checks. Rosa peeked in the back of Melody’s pullup before dinner and they slumped their shoulders in defeat.

“Sorry Mama, I got distracted and I didn’t make it in time.”

“Mmm, I think today is a day we don’t count checkmarks or Xs.” Rosa said.

“Huh?”

“Everybody’s a little more Little on Christmas Eve, don’t you think? How about I put you in your pajamas and nighttime diaper for dinner?”

Melody squirmed. “Is it okay? I mean, I’ll be busy during school and we were working on it and I don’t want to cheat…”

“It’s fine, Niñe. Mamá says so.” Rosa said, kissing Melody gently. “Your sister already has her Christmas pajamas on. You should match her at dinner. Come on.”

In their bedroom, Melody lay on the small changing blanket from Target. Rosa had suggested tossing it, now that they had all the fancy changing tables in the house. Melody hadn’t been ready for that yet. Maybe someday they’d be willing to let it go, but for now it was a reminder of when everything had changed.

With tender touches, Rosa stripped Melody and tore the sides on their pullup. It was going to be a real diaper change from start to finish. Melody peered around their legs, watching Rosa’s face as she wiped their butt. There was such a strong look of contentment on her face that it seemed unreal.

“Mamá, do you really like doing this? You don’t get tired of cleaning me?”

“Niñe, I love doing this. I love it more every time I do it. It makes me feel so close to you. I’m taking care of you.”

“You take such good care of me.” Melody said with a relieved sigh. “I didn’t know how much I needed you.”

“Sweetie.” Rosa said, smiling. She set a fluffy diaper under Melody’s hips and gently applied the lotion. “You like it too? Not the being taken care of, but the actual diapers?”

Melody grabbed Totoro and buried their face in his fat belly.

“I like them a lot. It’s hot and lovey all at the same time.”

Rosa laughed. Melody peeked around Totoro to pout at her. That was supposed to be sweet, not funny. Moments later they were laughing too, with Rosa tickling their feet.

“This has been a wild ride. I wouldn’t trade it for anything. I’m excited to see what age you are tomorrow. I bet it won’t be six.”

“Are we counting potties tomorrow too?” Melody asked, retreating behind Totoro again.

“Not on Christmas, Niñe.”

“Maybe I could have diapers the whole day.” Melody said quietly.

“Do you like the diapers better than the pullups?”

“No, I like being your little kid most of the time but – on special days…”

“I understand.” Rosa said, applying a light swirl of powder. She brought the diaper around Melody’s crotch in stages, wiggling it perfectly into place. Each wiggle was followed by a tight hold from Rosa’s strong hands. Melody held Totoro so closely that his stitches strained a bit. It was okay. He understood. Longtime stuffies, or ‘Stuffies Primary’ like Briana liked to say, were used to it.

“You know your Grandma is going to want to change you if you’re wearing diapers, right?” Rosa teased softly.

“That’s okay. I li – I um – I love Grandma.”

“Oh sweetie, when did that happen?”

“I don’t know.” Melody said.

Rosa cuddled up to them on the bed as soon as the diaper tapes were secure. It was a good thing too. Totoro wasn’t going to last much longer under the squeezes he’d been getting. Melody transferred those desperate snuggles to Rosa.

“You should tell her.”

“I know but what if…”

“She loves you.” Rosa said, with complete confidence.

“Okay Mamá.”

Melody’s Christmas pajamas were lurid green with the Grinch and trees and presents all over them. They were perfect. Stylish too, Melody got a lot of compliments on their outfit as they helped serve the Nochebuena meal.

It was an unusual Christmas dinner, by the standards of most people at the table. Melody had all the inside info from helping cook, and proudly pointed out the dishes as they were served. Everybody knew what the tamales were, but the Russian potato salad needed some context. Fruit salad was a welcomed by everyone, as was the pineapple upside down cake.

“What’s this drink?” Grandma asked, looking at the glass Melody had handed her as the plates were being cleared.

Ponche Navideño, Grandma.” Melody said, hoping they’d pronounced it correctly. “Christmas punch.”

“What’s in it?” Grandma asked, sniffing it and taking a sip. She nodded approvingly.

“Sugar cane, apples, prunes, and um teho – uh, teh-ho-co…”

Tejocotes.” Rosa said. “Hawthorn fruit.”

“It’s delicious. I approve of this addition. Does mine have rum in it?”

“Tequila.” Rosa said with a grin. “Don’t worry, the kids’ don’t have alcohol.”

“Speaking of kids, it’s not long before they turn into pumpkins.” Veronica said. “Did you hear that, Briana? Bedtime in half an hour.”

“Mom!” Briana whined.

“The faster you fall asleep, the faster Santa will come.”

“Um – Mom, can I sleep in Briana’s room tonight?” Melody asked. Briana cheered at them from across the room.

“Yes you may, Little One, as long as you go to bed at the same time she does.”

“Yeah, okay.” Melody said, smiling bashfully.

“If you two are going to bed so soon, then why don’t you help your Grandma over to her chair?” Grandma asked.

Melody wasn’t sure if it was Jane’s eagle-eye making sure Michelle accepted help, or that she was having more troubles than she had on her first day, but Grandma wasn’t walking on her own much anymore.

Melody had tried suggesting that Grandma use the oxygen Mom had picked up, but Grandma was less open to that than she had been to moving in next door. She’d grumbled a lot about not being nearly old enough to need canes and oxygen. Melody didn’t see what the big deal was, it wasn’t supposed to be permanent, they didn’t think.

Since Grandma wasn’t listening about the medical stuff, Melody was glad they could at least help with her walking. They slipped under Grandma’s arm. As usual, Grandma wanted to steady herself before she got moving.

“I love you, Grandma.” Melody said quietly, while they waited.

Grandma swayed on her feet, pulling Melody into a hug.

“Where did that come from?”

“I don’t know, but I do.” Melody said. “Mamá said I should tell you, so I did. It was kind of scary.”

“I know Melody. It was hard when my mom adopted me, and it was hard when I adopted my girls. You’re a brave and darling kid for opening up to me so fast.”

“It’s because you’re a good grandma.” Melody said.

“You trying to make your grandma cry?”

“I want you to move into the house next door.” Melody said, looking at Grandma with their best rendition of Briana’s puppy dog eyes. “My sister does too. We want you here, not only so Mom and Dad can take care of you, but so we can see you every day.”

Grandma was crying now. She pulled Melody in for another hug and clung to them with trembling hands. Mom and Dad stared curiously when Melody finally escorted Grandma to her chair. They didn’t feel like saying anything, and Grandma didn’t either. She squeezed Melody’s arm extra tight after she sat.

Dad took Melody and Briana upstairs. There was a double air mattress set on the floor, with sheets and blankets on it already. While Briana got a diaper change, Melody brushed their teeth in the upstairs bathroom. Wearing a diaper or no, they were still the bigger kid! They managed to use the potty, though it looked like they might have had a small accident during dinner. It was hard to tell with the big diapers.

“Ready for bed?” Jane asked, as she helped Melody get their diaper back into a snug fit.

“I love you, Dad.” Melody said, staring at Jane sincerely.

“I – I love you too, Didi.” Jane said.

Melody was pulled into another crushing hug. If that was going to be the result of telling people that they loved them, they were going to have to do it a lot more. They clung to Jane happily, reveling in the solidness of her frame.

“Is there a reason in particular for that comment?”

“I told Grandma today I love her, and I realized I hadn’t told you.” Melody said. “And I do, so I needed to tell you.”

“I love you very much. You are an amazing Kinder, Didi. I’m overjoyed to be your father.”

Melody floated back to the bedroom on happy feelings and crawled into bed with their sister. Before Dad had a chance to tuck them in, they pulled Briana into the little-spoon position. The little munchkin squealed happily. She had her arms wrapped around Alanna. Belatedly, Melody freed an arm to snag Totoro.

“Sleep well Kinder.” Dad said, giving them both a kiss on the head. “Tomorrow is the big day.”

“Daddy, I can’t sleep! I’m too excited!” Briana said, squirming in Melody’s grasp.

“You’d better sleep. For Krampus, a child awake is as bad as a dirty house.”

“Okay goodnight Daddy see you tomorrow.” Briana snapped her eyes shut and fake-snored.

Melody giggled. “I’m sure she’ll be asleep in a sec. Goodnight Dad.”

“Goodnight Didi, BumbleBri.”

The bedroom door closed, leaving the room in competing soft colors. Briana’s pale orange night-light competing with the cold white of streetlights on snow reflected into the window. The wind was quiet and the snow was falling so softly that it was only an occasional whisper.

“Sib, what if I can’t sleep and Krampus gets me?”

“That’s never going to happen. I’d offer myself as tribute.”

“But you’re a kid too. Krampus will get you.”

“Nope. I’d power up like a DBZ fighter if I’m defending my baby sister.”

“Do you like having a baby sister?”

“I do, and I love you.” Melody kissed the back of Briana’s head. They deliberately slowed their breathing, taking long, deep breaths.

“I love you too.” Briana yawned.

“Go to sleep Bri.”

“Okay.” Briana snuggled in a bit more, working an arm around Melody’s and fitting herself flush to the curve of Melody’s body.

As Melody predicted, Briana was out like a light less than five minutes after she’d relaxed. They yawned again. It was really early to go to bed. They were going to have a hard time getting to sleep, no matter how snuggly Briana was…

----

The mattress rocked alarmingly. Melody’s eyes snapped open to see a manic Briana bouncing on her knees, staring intently at them. Some time must have passed, because Briana’s pajamas were taut around her diaper. Come to think of it, the padding around Melody’s hips was heavy too.

On the other hand, the cold blue light from the window had gone away, leaving half the room in deep shadow. The house was silent as a stone.

“Bri, go back to sleep, it’s still night.”

“Sib look at the clock, it’s CHRISTMAS!!”

Blearily, Melody rolled over to look at their phone. It was six am. They groaned, doubling down on their groans when Briana climbed on their back.

“Please sib we have to see if Santa came! Please, please!”

“Don’t we need Mom and Dad for that?” And Mamá.

“That’s why I need your help. You have to help me wake them!”

“You’ve woken them tons of times.”

“But I don’t want them to be grumpy at me. It’s Christmas!”

“Oh, but it’s okay if they’re grumpy at me?” Melody said, laughing.

“Please Sib? Please?”

Melody shook her head and rolled over, wrestling Briana into a tight hug. “Only if you admit you need my help because you’re my cowardly little baby sister.”

“Nuh uh! I’m a big girl!”

“Then go wake Mom.”

“Melodeeee!”

“Who’s a scaredy baby?”

Briana thrashed a bit before switching tactics to a double-whammy of puppy dog eyes and pout. Melody was having way too much fun to relent.

“Oh well, I guess we’ll go back to sleep like this.” Melody exaggerated a yawn.

“I’m a scaredy baby!” Briana whined. “Please sib, can you wake Mom and Dad?”

“I didn’t hear that well. Did you say you’re my scaredy baby sister?”

“Yes!” Briana giggled and blew a raspberry on Melody’s neck.

Melody laughed and released Briana, rolling out of bed. “Okay, let’s go get Mom and Dad.”

“And your Mamá.”

“Yeah, but she’s downstairs. Plus she might be grumpy.”

“Who’s the scaredy cat now?”

“Shush, baby sis.”

Melody waddled to Mom and Dad’s suite, quietly opening the outer door. They knocked gently on the door frame by the bedroom door.

“Mom? Dad?”

Briana whispered, “You’re never going to wake them if you’re quiet!”

Melody rolled their eyes. They knocked on the door this time. “Mom, Dad? It’s morning – kinda.”

“Didi?” Jane’s sleepy voice was soft through the door. “Scheiße, it’s six am.”

“I told you they were going to do this.” Veronica said, giggling. “I’ll make coffee, love.”

“Kinder,” Jane said, “we’ll be up in a moment. You can go downstairs and wake Rosa, but please don’t go to the tree or wake your Grandmother.”

“I’m going to let Rosa know you told them to wake her.” Veronica teased.

“You still haven’t made me coffee.” Jane grumped.

Giggling at their silly parents, Melody and Briana snuck downstairs. It was hard not to approach the tree. The living room was hypnotically attractive. Overnight the tree had been covered with candy canes. There were piles of presents by the fireplace, and the stockings bulged!

Reluctantly, Melody grabbed the scruff of Briana’s pajama neck and dragged their sister away from the tree. They hesitated for a moment at Rosa’s door – but it was their room too! Inside, Rosa was sleeping peacefully in some pretty pink pajamas. She was so beautiful in the soft light that Melody felt a sharp ache in their chest.

They whispered a command to Briana to stay and crept over to the bed. Ignoring their sisters hissing whispered protest at being giving dog-commands, Melody snuck into bed with Rosa.

“Mamá, it’s Christmas.” Melody whispered in barely more than a breath.

Rosa stirred, reaching out. As soon as her hands touched Melody, she pulled them into a tight snuggle and nuzzled their neck.

“Good morning love.” Rosa said sleepily.

“Good morning love.” Melody sighed and relaxed into the hug.

“You can’t go back to bed!” Briana squeaked indignantly. “Mom and Dad are already up!”

Rosa giggled. “I don’t think we can open presents until everybody is up. I know I could sleep for another couple of hours. What about you, Melody?”

“HOURS!?” Briana sounded devastated. Melody laughed, but didn’t have the heart to continue the teasing.

“I think we should get up. There’s some new stuff out there.”

“I GUESS so. If my niñe wants me to.” Rosa sighed and stretched. “You kids need a change, right?”

“That can wait, there’s PRESENTS!” Briana said, she sounded at her wits end.

“Uh huh, but Grandma has to get up, and so does everyone else. Sounds like your Mom and Dad are making coffee. I’ll change you two while they’re doing that.”

“Rosa!” Briana whined.

“Come on sis, you know nobody is going to let us open presents until everybody’s up. Wouldn’t you rather wait in a dry diaper, if you have to wait anyway?”

Briana had a number of grumbles under her breath in response. She was still grumbling all the way to the changing table. At one point, Melody thought she heard the S word. Rosa heard it too, she had her slipper in hand and bouncing off Briana’s diapered butt with a resounding POW noise.

After that, Briana confined her protests to impatient bouncing. Ironically, she slowed down her diaper change with her fidgeting. When they finally returned to the living room, it was bright and cheery. Hot chocolate and coffee were available in bulk. Melody joined their sister in a hot chocolate – with a little bit of coffee in it.

The Santa presents and stockings were fun, but became a blur quickly. Briana was in her element, tearing through wrapping paper and having an amazing time. Melody was feeling a bit overwhelmed. That didn’t mean they didn’t want to keep the cool Gundam set Santa had brought, though. Mostly, they wanted to snuggle next to Rosa and leave the shrieking to Briana.

As they moved on to personal presents, Jane gathered four small packages and stood expectantly in front of the fireplace. Melody looked at Briana, who was even more excited than she had been for the Santa stuff. Confused, they looked at Dad.

“I have four gifts here that should be opened together.” Jane said. “Briana, here’s yours, and please give this one to your sibling.”

Melody took the small wrapped box and gave Briana a questioning look. Briana giggled back maniacally, but didn’t offer any info.

Jane stripped the paper from her box efficiently without looking. Her eyes were fixed on Veronica, as she delicately took the paper off without tearing it.

It wasn’t a surprise that there were boxes under the paper. It was a surprise to see jewelry boxes inside the cardboard ones. It was a BIG surprise to see a gold ring inside the jewelry box.

Melody looked and gasped. Veronica was staring at her ring, her hands trembling. Jane was down on one knee!

“I have to confess, I switched our boxes, Love, because I wanted to put your ring on you, and hoped you’d put mine on me.”

“Jane is this – what are you doing?”

“Würdest du mir die Ehre erweisen und meine Frau werden?” Jane asked, holding a ring up to Veronica. “Will you do me the honor of being my wife?”

Veronica burst into tears. “Yes, yes my love. Please be mine forever.”

When Mom and Dad had put rings on each other’s fingers, Jane turned to Melody and Briana.

“In Germany, we put the ring on the left hand, like so, when we are engaged. We will move it to the right when we are married.”

“For you Kinder, I would like you to put your rings on your small finger on the left. If you are willing, you will move it to the small finger on your right at the wedding. I want to recognize that the family includes two wonderful kinder.”

The room was suddenly blurry. Rosa was dabbing their eyes with her pajama sleeve. Sniffling, smiling, sobbing and shaking, Melody put the ring on their left pinkie. It fit perfectly.

“Mom, I know Rasmussen women don’t get married but…”

“Tess didn’t get married, or anyone after her, but she didn’t say we couldn’t get married.” Grandma said. “I didn’t see much use in getting married, but I didn’t have the option to marry a woman. I think Tess might have changed her stance if she lived today. I wish you all the best happiness Vonnie.”

Grandma was dabbing at her eyes too. Everybody was crying. Melody clung to their sister and cried. They pulled Rosa into the hug and cried. Everybody laughed at how much they were crying, and cried some more.

It was nice to get into more sugar and regular presents after so many feels. Briana had been right, Mom and Dad loved the mugs with Melody’s face carved on them. They had to abandon their position next to Rosa as the present unwrapping spiraled out of control. Both kids were tasked with handing people their presents, as well as stuffing the wrapping paper into bags.

Melody spotted a familiar present and grabbed it, presenting it to their sister. “Merry Christmas, Bri.”

“I’m glad you didn’t pay attention when I said you didn’t have to get me anything!” Briana said, grinning hugely.

“Open it already, Bratana.” Melody laughed.

Briana didn’t need to be told twice. She shredded the paper like a velociraptor. As soon as the box was revealed in its bright reds and blues, Briana hesitated.

“This isn’t really – you packed something else in this box, right?”

“Nope, that’s your own Nintendo Switch.” Melody said.

“But that’s a huge present!”

“Yep, for my hugely awesome sister. Here’s the other part.” Melody handed Briana a smaller present to unwrap.

“Stardew Valley?” Briana cocked her head at the game in front of her.

“It’s a game about leaving the city and starting a farm. There are all kinds of cute creatures, friends to make, pets, you can even build a family. And – it’s multiplayer. We can build our farm together.”

“You’re going to play with me?” Briana looked at Melody with shining eyes.

“It can take like a hundred hours to complete the game and build a really good farm. We’ve got a lot of play time to get to.”

“Sib!” Briana wailed happily, grabbing Melody in a tight hug. “I have one for you. It’s not as fancy but…”

“Let me be the judge.” Melody said, taking the package from Briana.

Under the wrapping, inside the box, two figurines were nestled in some soft cotton. The trio from Spy x Family caught their eye first. Kind of weird, since that was more of a Mom, Dad, and Briana thing. There was another figurine, Ray from the Promised Neverland – which had been joined to the others by a thin red ribbon.

Briana had gotten them. She’d made an anime-figurine family for her sibling’s collection. Melody was crying again, hugging their sister. “These aren’t going on the shelf. They’re going on the computer. I’m booting Revolutionary Girl Utena for this.”

“I’m really glad you like it.”

“I love it, and you, dummy.”

As the presents thinned out, it was time to hand Rosa her present. Melody was suddenly nervous. They should have handed it to her when everyone was opening stuff. Now, as they brought the triple-box stack to Rosa, they had an audience.

“All this for me?”

“You have to open the big one first, then the medium one, then little.” Melody said, plopping on the floor in front of Rosa.

“Got it, Niñe.”

Melody watched nervously as Rosa opened the first package, revealing a “World’s Best Mommy” hoodie. They grinned in relief when Rosa smiled.

“Cute! Thank you darling.”

“Now the next one.”

Melody shifted impatiently while Rosa opened the next box. She pulled out a grey wolf stuffie with a pleased smile.

“Who’s this fierce looking pup?”

“You get to name her, or him, or them.” Melody said. “But you needed one. It’s – it looks strong and protective. It’s how I feel about you. It’s you.”

“Oh Niñe.” Rosa said, pulling Melody on the couch for a kiss.

“There’s one more!”

“Keep your diaper on.” Rosa said, smirking.

Melody wiggled in said diaper as Rosa opened the last present, a black envelope.

“What’s this – a cabin reservation?”

“Three days for you and me.” Melody said. “The dates are kinda flexible if we need it. I thought you could wear the hoodie there. It has a kitchen and everything, we wouldn’t have to go out. It’d be the two of us and um, I could be your Niñe the whole time. You’d be Mamá.”

“Melody, I love you so much.” Rosa pulled Melody in for another kiss, a long one this time. The chorus of “aww” from the room made Melody squirm a little, but it wasn’t worth breaking the kiss.

“I have something for you too.” Rosa said, staring happily into Melody’s eyes.

“Well I guess if you went to all the trouble I could get one more present.” Melody said, giggling.

Rosa beamed. She didn’t go for the now-ransacked present pile. She pulled a box out of her pocket. A jewelry box. She was opening it.

All stations to Red Alert!

Melody’s breath stopped when they saw the gold ring in the box. It had beautiful circuit board patterning in silver or platinum on it. Embedded where a diamond would be was a resin-covered computer chip.

“Melody, this ring is a promise. A promise that I won’t ever go away. I’ll never abandon you. What we are to each other might change with time, I’m hoping we’ll get closer all the time. But there will always be an us. After what you and I have shared together, I can’t go back to not having a Melody.”

It took a while to get the ring on, what with some dumb nerd crying their eyes out on their girlfriend / mommy’s shoulder. People were clapping too, congratulating them. Eventually, Melody got so they could look around and feel like they were inside their body again. The ring fit perfectly on their ring finger. Rosa had one too, but hers was reversed, platinum with gold circuit board patterning.

“It’s a real, working chip.” Rosa said, when Melody had calmed. “It will try to connect to any unsecured Wi-Fi network in range.”

“You made rings that wardrive?” Melody asked. “That’s brutally cool.”

Rosa grinned. “Yup. They’ll always try to tell each other where they are. You can access the ring from your phone or any Wi-Fi network, if you have the encryption key. The battery in them should last a decade or so, considering how low the power requirement is.”

“How’d you know my ring size? Wait, how did Dad know my ring size?”

“I put rings on you when you were sleeping. You sleep like a little rock, especially after you’ve wet.”

Melody blushed furiously.

“I bought one of the costume rings you put on when we were shopping!” Briana said triumphantly.

“Everyone in this family is so sneaky!”

“That’s my queue.” Grandma said.

“What?” Melody asked.

“Mother, what are you doing?”

“Fixing something, Vonnie. Hush now.” Grandma rose to her feet, leaning on her cane. She had a small bottle of oxygen on the floor next to her and a tube going to her nose. Melody frowned. Now Grandma finally used the oxygen? She must have woken up feeling really badly.

“Don’t you start, Melody.” Grandma said, reading Melody’s frown with every bit as much witchy-intuition as Mom had.

“Now, this is a lovely, odd family, and it’s been a wonderful Christmas so far, but we do have one problem.”

Grandma knows how to set the stage. Everyone’s eyes were fixed on her.

“Rosa, you’re entangled in this family in a number of ways now. My grandchild has asked for you to be a member of the family. You’ve made a lifelong promise to Melody too. My daughter has accepted you as a member of the family, but I haven’t had my say yet.”

Melody’s heart was pounding. Was the whole mamá-niñe-but-dating dynamic too weird for Grandma? They gripped Rosa’s hand and glanced at her. She squeezed their hand back, but was watching Grandma calmly. Expectantly, even.

“As the Rasmussen Matriarch, it’s my responsibility to deal with this particular issue. Rosa Herrera, whether or not you’d like to be a Rasmussen, I would very much like it if you were my daughter.”

“I still have to talk to my mother and father, of course.” Rosa said. Grandma nodded.

“I think they will be happy for me. For my part, I think having another Mom would be wonderful. Thank you, Michelle. As soon as my mom and dad say yes, I want you to come meet them.”

“Mom!” Veronica said. “When in the world did you two arrange this?”

“Merry Christmas Vonnie, I got you a sister.”

“Merry Christmas Mom, I got you a new daughter.” Veronica said, laughing and hugging Jane. Veronica got up to hug Michelle, and Rosa, and Melody, and Briana, and so on until she’d hugged everyone in the house. At the end of her lap, Jane pulled Veronica into her lap for a happy Christmas snuggle.

This is my family. Melody realized, looking around the room. Even Suzie, Erin, and Casey felt like family, if a bit like distant cousins. Gary, Tamira, and Arthur were due in the evening, and Melody was surprised to find that they were excited for them to arrive. Melody was sitting on their Mama’s lap, with their sister at their feet. Mom and Dad were snuggling in a chair and Grandma was getting back into hers.

The family tree was going to need some PHD level topology to properly represent, but none of the little connection lines really mattered. What mattered is they all loved each other. They were together for the holidays going on forever.

Merry Christmas to my family. I rented a room, but I found a place I belong

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
On 10/31/2022 at 12:43 PM, SolSombraYSoldados said:

Okay.” Melody said, gripping Mom just as tightly. “I think I can do it.”

“I know you can. Come on. Let’s get this person out of our life.”

Imagine having your Ex's entire family come out to stare you down..... That's how you know you fucked up hard...

On 10/31/2022 at 12:43 PM, SolSombraYSoldados said:

Now you’re just somebody that I used to know.” Melody said. “Mom, go ahead with the letters.”

“NO!” Beatrix’s scream was bloodcurdling. She lurched forward.

You tube not showing the priview cause the title is "You're Fucked" but I think the first ten seconds sum up B's situation completely

• Like 1
1 hour ago, SolSombraYSoldados said:

Würdest du mir die Ehre erweisen und meine Frau werden?” Jane asked, holding a ring up to Veronica. “Will you do me the honor of being my wife?”

Veronica burst into tears. “Yes, yes my love. Please be mine forever.”

slow-loop-koharu-minagi.gif

Let's go lesbians!!!

anime-girl-anime-blush.gif

abjahanbin-happy-pride.gif

ll stations to Red Alert!

Melody’s breath stopped when they saw the gold ring in the box. It had beautiful circuit board patterning in silver or platinum on it. Embedded where a diamond would be was a resin-covered computer chip.

“Melody, this ring is a promise. A promise that I won’t ever go away. I’ll never abandon you. What we are to each other might change with time, I’m hoping we’ll get closer all the time. But there will always be an us. After what you and I have shared together, I can’t go back to not having a Melody.”

It took a while to get the ring on, what with some dumb nerd crying their eyes out on their girlfriend / mommy’s shoulder. People were clapping too, congratulating them. Eventually, Melody got so they could look around and feel like they were inside their body again. The ring fit perfectly on their ring finger. Rosa had one too, but hers was reversed, platinum with gold circuit board patterning.

DOUBLE CHRISTMAS PROPOSAL!?!? LET'S GO LESBIANS!!!!!!!!!!!! GANBATTE

Cheer Up Lets Go GIF - Cheer Up Lets Go Ganbatte GIFs

happy-excited.gif

abjahanbin-happy-pride.gif

oing on forever.

Merry Christmas to my family. I rented a room, but I found a place I belong

tears-of-joy-anime.gif

• Like 1
1 hour ago, YourFNF said:

Imagine having your Ex's entire family come out to stare you down..... That's how you know you fucked up hard...

About this time them duke boys realized they was in real trouble. :D Yeah, she goin' down. 

50 minutes ago, YourFNF said:

DOUBLE CHRISTMAS PROPOSAL!?!? LET'S GO LESBIANS!!!!!!!!!!!! GANBATTE

HAPPY LESBIAN CHRISTMAS LET'S GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!  ❤️ 

All the feels! And even more feels coming on Monday with the Finale. Christmas Briana style!

The Finale! A full-of-feels Briana chapter.  (There's an author's note at the bottom regarding the end of the story.)

Also, did anyone realize that it's CHRISTMAS?! OMG GUYS ITS CHRISTMAS!

-----

Briana was certain that she was going to die of anticipation before Christmas day. The pile of presents grew until even the huge tree couldn’t contain them. Stockings appeared above the fireplace. Packages were arriving every day as the post office struggled to keep up with the holiday volume. Her house had transformed into the movie version of Christmas, decorated from top to bottom.

Everything was wonderful, now that the she-who-would-never-again-be-named was gone. Wonderful seemed great at first, but it was wonderful with anticipation built into it. Briana struggled mightily to stay good and had given up on earning any more Santa points at all. It was enough to not lose the ones she’d already gained.

The morning of Christmas Eve, Briana couldn’t believe that the day had come at last. She lay in her crib, doubting herself and unable to check the date. Mom had a very strict ‘no phones in the crib’ rule, which neither Dad nor Grandma would let Briana break. When Grandma was the one to get her up, Briana let herself believe that Christmas was really happening.

“Good morning little lady.” Grandma said, moving with a much better gait than her usual. She had her cane in hand, but wasn’t putting any weight on it.

“Good morning Grandma. Is it really Christmas Eve?” Briana hopped up to her knees and grabbed the bars of her crib eagerly.

“That’s right, pumpkin.” Grandma smiled broadly. “You don’t mind if I get you ready this morning, do you?”

“Not if you don’t, Grandma. I’d love it.”

Grandma had the crib-side slid down in no time. Briana hopped out and waddled over to her changing table. The table had always been a little tall. It was something Mom had bought from an Adult Baby store and at five foot nothing, Briana had a bit of a climb to get on it. She threw a leg up on the table and was surprised to get a boost on her soggy butt.

“Grandma, is that okay? I know I’m little, but I still weigh a hundred pounds.”

“I didn’t lift all hundred of them, I was just helping.” Grandma firmly rolled Briana onto her back and popped the crotch snaps on her onesie.

“But Dad said…”

“Briana, enough.”

It was the first time Grandma had directed her sharp tone at Briana. The force of it pierced Briana all the way into her tummy. No wonder Mom always obeyed when Grandma used that voice.

“I feel much better in the mornings than I do in the evening and I’m recovered from my flight now. Plus, your sibling has been on me to use that horrible oxygen canister the doctor prescribed. I tried it overnight last night and I have to admit it helped my energy a lot,”

Briana could hear Dad chiding Grandma for just now starting the oxygen. Despite how scary Grandma’s mom-voice was, love for Michelle overcame the fear.

“Grandma, did the doctor say you’re supposed to use it during the day too?”

“What did I say, young lady?”

“This is important! I don’t get to back down about this, it’s about protecting family. That’s the number one Rasmussen rule, right?”

Grandma peeled Briana’s diaper open and rested her hands on the changing table rail, sighing.

“That’s a point in your mom’s favor. She obviously taught you how important that rule is. Briana, I’m not going to discuss exactly what the doctor told me to do. Yes, I could be using oxygen more than I am. I have some leeway on the treatment too, though. You’re a very sweet girl for worrying about me so much.”

“You’re going to get in grandma-trouble for making your granddaughter worry.” Briana softened her statement with a silly grin.

“Is that so? Well I’ll watch out for the grandma council.” Grandma smirked. “Now, do you want to argue with your grandma, or do you want your diaper changed and to get breakfast?”

“The second one, please.” Briana said.

Grandma was a little rusty, fumbling at first. Once she got into the groove, she was even more deft at cleaning and changing a diaper than Mom was. The change was one of the fastest Briana had ever had, without feeling rushed at all. If anything, Briana felt cleaner than usual after Grandma’s wipe job.

The upgrades didn’t stop there. Grandma eschewed the stack of folded onesies and pajamas, delving into Briana’s dresser for tights, hair ribbons, and a cream colored blouse. They sat next to Briana on the changing table while Grandma placed a red and green dress atop them. The dress was professionally folded and bound with a gold ribbon.

“Grandma, this is so fancy!”

“It’s a holiday, Briana. It should be fancy. Veronica can dress you however she likes, but I don’t like that you wear pajamas most days. You’re such a pretty girl, I think you should wear something cute to show you off.”

Briana blushed and hugged the dress to her chest. “Thanks Grandma. You don’t have to go to a big fuss. I don’t mind wearing pajamas.”

“Weren’t you listening? I’m the one that minds.” Grandma said, smiling. “Go on, take a look at the dress and I’ll help you get into it.”

Briana gasped when she got the dress unfolded. It had lace and ribbon sewn in to the skirt, as well as a beautiful brocaded top. It looked like it’d fit perfectly, but was an extremely Little dress in its design.

I’m going to look like a Christmas tree ornament! Briana thought in glee.

Grandma helped Briana into the dress and the accessories she’d picked out. She even insisted on putting dress shoes on Briana’s feet. As soon as her feet were released, Briana spun like a ballerina in the middle of her room. Giggles bubbled out of her like she was a happy champagne.

“You look precious.” Grandma joined Briana in her happy laughter. “Breakfast time now. It’s going to be a busy day.”

“Grandma, thank you for the dress, and helping me get all pretty for today. I really liked you coming to get me up. You can do it lots, lots more if you want.” Briana stepped in for a hug, laying her head on Grandma’s chest.

“I loved doing it. It won’t be the last time, I promise.”

Grandma’s burst of energy extended to making breakfast. She made Briana waffles, from scratch! That wasn’t the whole breakfast either, there were eggs, bacon, and a weird vegetable hash. Briana stuffed herself on a huge waffle with hand-whipped cream, plus an egg and a piece of bacon. She left the hash alone, honestly a bit offended that Grandma thought she would eat vegetables at breakfast.

Briana realized that once Grandma was back to full health, she was going to be just as capable as Mom, maybe even more so. Except that Grandma didn’t have research and University trustee duties like Mom did. She could focus her full Rasmussen power on any project she wanted. It was a little scary.

Melody arrived at the end of breakfast, looking distracted. Briana posed cutely in her new dress, which she hadn’t gotten a drop of syrup on, but Melody barely looked at her.

“Hi Sib! Merry Christmas Eve!”

“Hi Sis, Merry Christmas Eve. Oh, there’s bacon!”

“Melody!” Rosa called from the living room. “Grab something and let’s go! I want to get started on those tamales as soon as we can.”

Melody grabbed a fistful of bacon and stuffed a piece in their mouth. “Later sis, Mamá has a whole boatload of chores for me today. We have to pick up her cooking stuff from her apartment.”

“But what do you think of my….” Briana sighed. Her words fell unheard on Melody’s retreating back. “dress?”

“What dress?” Veronica ask, bearing a box of holiday dishes into the kitchen. “Oh! Baby bee! You look like a princess.”

Briana giggled happily and twirled for Veronica. “Grandma bought me a dress.”

“She looks like a little Christmas ornament in it Mom, thank you.”

Grandma beamed from the sink where she was washing up the dishes. “Thank you Vonnie. Where does baby bee come from, out of curiosity?”

“I think Jane started calling her BumbleBri and I followed suit.” Veronica checked each of the pretty green and red plates as she unpacked them, wiping them with a damp cloth. “Baby bee slipped out one day and we both liked it.”

“I love it.” Briana giggled. “How come you call Mom Vonnie, Grandma?”

“There was a point in your mother’s life where she couldn’t say her own name properly.” Grandma laughed.

“Mom!”

“Your mother was almost as serious a little girl as she is a woman. People would ask Vonnie her name and she’d draw herself up properly to shout, Von-i-ca!”

Brianna giggled, as much at Mom’s blush as at how cute Grandma’s explanation was.

“I wish you wouldn’t keep telling that story.”

“It’s one of my favorites. You were adorable. You still are, but you were such a proper and intense little girl.”

“Kiara had already filled my head with tales of Magna Grandma. I wanted to live up to the family name.”

Briana blinked as Mom’s statement sank in. “Wait! Mom, are you the LITTLE sister?”

Veronica laughed. “Yes baby bee, you and I have that in common.”

“But you’re so – so – what’s Aunt Kiara like?”

“My sister is a force of nature.” Mom said it without any exaggeration or joking in her tone.

Briana looked to Grandma to get the real scoop. Of course Mom is impressed by her older sister.

“Don’t look at me, Briana. Kiara is a formidable woman. I can’t take credit for half of who my eldest daughter is. We used to joke that she was Magna Grandma’s reincarnation.”

“We only stopped joking about it because it seemed too true.”

Briana sat down, dizzy and overwhelmed. How was she supposed to measure up to the incredible women in her family? Anyone would have trouble matching the Rasmussen women, but a Little girl had no chance at all.

“Use your words, baby bee.” Mom was at Briana’s side, touching her cheek with heart-squeezing tenderness.

“It’s kind of intimidating, mommy. All the women in the family are so amazing and I’m – a baby.”

“You are an incredible woman, Briana. I didn’t lightly adopt you. I’m proud to be your mother, proud of my daughter. So proud, that I was a little obnoxious when I told your Grandmother about you.”

“It’s true, she was obnoxious.” Grandma laughed, coming over to hug Briana. “At least, it was obnoxious until I met you and realized how true everything she’d said was.”

“But I don’t do anything. What was there to tell?”

“You have to discover your strength, baby bee, and you will soon, I can see it.” Veronica kissed Briana on the forehead. “Please don’t think you don’t fit in. Magna Grandma herself will be impressed with what you do.”

Briana sniffled and hugged Mom and Grandma as tightly as she could. Grandma was on point with a handkerchief, catching the tears before they could turn Briana’s fresh morning face into a wreck.

“I love you Mom, Grandma.”

“I love you too.” They said in unison.

Briana sighed in pure contentment, feeling quiet happy love suffuse her body from head to toe.

“This has been a lovely morning, but you need to report to your father.” Veronica said. “She has a lot of chores for you.”

Krampus! Briana hopped out of the chair with a squeak. “I remember. Thanks Mommy! Thanks for breakfast Grandma!”

Dad had a whole list of chores. They were intense ones too. Briana hadn’t known that pulling a clothes dryer out to clean underneath it was a thing people did. She was terrified to wreck her new dress, but Dad gave her a sturdy apron and helped her work on the chores so that she wouldn’t get down in the dirt.

Melody kept their promise to help, though only barely. Briana couldn’t fault their sibling, they were on roller skates the whole day, between helping her and Rosa. Dad never abandoned her either. They were work-buddies! By afternoon the house was so clean it was gleaming.

Briana and Dad were in the basement, taking a break from dusting the jars of canned vegetables, when Briana felt a question bubble up in her chest. It was a scary question, but once it rose to her throat, she couldn’t swallow it back.

“Daddy, are you still going to propose to Mom tomorrow?” Briana kept her voice quiet. There was laughter and horde of people moving upstairs, but she didn’t want to risk the surprise even a little.

“During presents, yes.” Dad said with a happy smile on her face. “Why do you ask?”

Briana took a deep breath. She tried swallowing the scary question again, but it wouldn’t go down.

“Are you two going to – have kids? Like, actual little kids? Adopting or whatever.”

“It’s something we’ve talked about, but only to touch on the topic. I can’t answer that yet. How do you feel about it?”

“I don’t know.” Briana wrung her hands. “It’s scary, but I don’t want you to not be able to do it, but I want to be your baby girl forever and ever.”

“I don’t think that having other Kinder means you can’t be my baby.”

“Isn’t it weird and – bad to have kids grow up with somebody like me? It’ll confuse them.”

“I think adults confuse themselves when they learn what is and isn’t allowed or proper.” Dad wrapped her arms around Briana holding Bri’s head tightly to her chest. “A child learns the way of things by seeing what’s around them as they’re growing up. They’ll only be confused if we tell them something contradictory about you.”

“I don’t know if I could share you.” Briana gripped Dad’s blouse tightly, making fists in the cotton.

“You already share me with Melody. It didn’t hurt you to do that, it only increased the love and the joy. This is a lesson you’ve learned already, BumblBri. There isn’t a finite amount of love in a family. More family means more love for everyone.”

Briana shuddered and nodded, nuzzling Dad’s side. “I’m sorry. It was something new to think about and I got scared.”

“These are hard questions, it’s not unusual to worry. I have worries too.”

“Like what, Daddy?”

“What happens if Gary proposes to you? I don’t think he will this Christmas, but he loves you a great deal. Would he move in, or would you move out?”

“Daddy! You’re going to make me cry.”

Dad picked Briana up in a surprising display of strength, and carried her to sit on the chest freezer. She took Briana’s hands in hers, smiling gently.

“That’s another question we don’t have to answer today. If it comes up, we will find an answer that fits our family, with love.”

“You think so, Daddy?”

“I know so. You feel how much your mother and I love you. I know you do. Believe in that. Believe in our family.”

The angry rumbles in Briana’s belly vanished in the face of a warm glow that beamed out of her heart. “I do Dad. Thank you.”

“Good. I told your German grandparents about you last night, by the way. They have many questions, but most of all they are excited to meet you.”

“Really?”

“Yes. They are eager to see the wonderful thing I have made here in America.”

“Daddy, Mom and I are so lucky to have you.”

“I think we would always have found each other. We fit together too well not to.”

Dad gave Briana a huge hug. Briana hugged back with her arms and legs together, squeezing with all the power of her Little heart.

“Feeling better?”

“Yes Daddy.”

“Let’s get these jars finished. We’ll be ready for Krampus as soon as that’s done. After that, we’ll get you in a new diaper and some pajamas for dinner.”

“But my pretty dress! Grandma gave it to me.”

“These are brand new pajamas. Christmas pajamas, to be worn for the first time on this night.”

Briana giggled. “I’m already getting presents!”

“I would give you presents every day, if it wouldn’t make them dull.” Dad stroked Briana’s hair. “Come on, let’s finish our task.”

“I’m on it, Dad!”

Christmas Eve dinner was full of strange new foods. Foods that might have scared a lesser baby. Luckily for Briana, she was no ordinary baby girl, she was a mighty Rasmussen! She made sure to compliment Rosa and Melody on each dish as it was introduced. They’d been working super hard all day.

Not that it was hard to find compliments. The food was really good! Briana declared to the table that a new tradition was being set for Christmas Eve dinner. She got laughed at, which was fine, because she knew she was cute. Rosa looked really pleased, which was the important part. Mom and Grandma seemed to agree too, which meant the tradition was likely to stick.

Dinner turned into dessert, which was more cookies. Some had been freshly made, some were part of the never-ending supply of holiday cookies in the freezer. Briana had never eaten so many cookies in her life. There had been a real danger of getting tired of cookies. Luckily, that didn’t seem to be happening. The perpetual cookie high was sustainable!

Dessert became a general post-dinner munching and hanging out. There was a hole in the evening that Briana was trying hard to ignore. Gary’s parents had drawn some hard lines on Christmas, he wouldn’t be around at all on Christmas Eve. He was going to drive up as fast as he could, so she’d have him tomorrow, at least. The longer the evening went on, the harder it was to put him out of her mind.

When Mom told Briana it was almost bedtime, she was antsy enough to feel a tantrum coming on. If she couldn’t have Gary, why couldn’t she at least stay up with everyone else? Out of nowhere, big sibling came to the rescue. Melody asked if they could sleep with Briana that night, even when it meant an extra early bedtime for them.

I love Melody so much. They’re the best big sibling ever.

Briana managed to squeeze out a few extra minutes by hugging everyone in an elaborate round of saying goodnight. With Dad leading both kids upstairs, Briana was content. Dad even picked her up again to put her on the changing table, while Melody was off brushing their teeth.

“Daddy, have I been a good girl? Is Santa coming?”

“He’s on his way right now. Your place on the good list is secure.”

Dad popped open the snaps that ran all the way down Briana’s pajama legs and crotch, bunching up the fabric around Briana’s waist. It was a very soggy diaper that evening, there hadn’t been a lot of time for smaller changes during the day.

“He’s coming for Melody too, right? You didn’t forget to tell him?”

“Didi has been a very good Kinder. Santa has presents for them too, for certain.”

“Daddy, this has been such an amazing Christmas. I know it’s not Christmas day yet but it’s already more than I ever dreamed for.”

“I’m glad, BumblBri. That’s what your mother and I wanted for you.”

Dad wiped her down slowly and gently, taking her time. The pace felt like the first time Dad had changed her, when Dad was still Jane. She had been so careful, wanting to get every detail right. Now her hands were rock steady, applying precisely the correct amount of powder and lotion, so that Dad hardly had to wipe her hands between products.

A thick booster pad went over Briana’s crotch first, wrapped in the thickest nighttime diapers she had. Briana looked at herself in amusement, her diaper was bulging like a big fluffy bulb on her waist.

When the pajamas pulled taut over the diaper, Briana realized it was yet another present. She felt like a little baby when Dad lifted her down from the changing table, her diaper so thick she couldn’t stand. Dad set her on an air mattress, which wiggled delightfully under her.

A brief intermission while Dad brought Melody to bed built the hype for Briana. She squealed in delight when Melody spooned her from behind. She had Alanna and her sibling, Melody had her and Totoro. It was perfect.

“Sleep well Kinder.” Dad said, giving them both a kiss on the head. “Tomorrow is the big day.”

“Daddy, I can’t sleep! I’m too excited!” Briana said, squirming in Melody’s grasp.

“You’d better sleep. For Krampus, a child awake is as bad as a dirty house.”

“Okay goodnight daddy see you tomorrow.”

Briana snapped her eyes shut and fake-snored. It got the laugh she was hoping for from Melody. There had been so much good laughing in the past few days, especially from Melody.

With the light off and Dad gone, there was one more detail to cover. Briana had been so excited about Santa, that she’d momentarily forgotten about Krampus.

“Sib, what if I can’t sleep and Krampus gets me?”

“That’s never going to happen. I’d offer myself as tribute.”

“But you’re a kid too. Krampus will get you.”

“Nope. I’d power up like a DBZ fighter if I’m defending my baby sister.”

“Do you like having a baby sister?”

“I do, and I love you.” Melody kissed the back of Briana’s head.

“I love you too.” Briana yawned, feeling Melody’s breathing slow.

“Go to sleep Bri.”

“Okay.”

Good little sisters did what their older siblings said to do, especially after that sibling promised to protect them from scary goat-men. Briana had all the proof in the world that she was a good little sister, and a good baby girl. She had a house full of love from top to bottom, with family laughing downstairs and her sibling holding her in bed.

As safe and content as she’d ever been, Briana stepped confidently into her dreams.

-----

A powerful Little instinct snapped Briana’s eyes open in the dark. She could feel it in her bones, she could hear it humming in the house.

IT WAS CHRISTMAS MORNING!

Briana was up in a flash, bouncing on the mattress until Melody woke up. Her sibling mumbled some nonsense about going back to sleep. It was hard not to laugh at them. Christmas was here and there was no stopping it!

Relentless badgering got Melody out of bed and into Mom and Dad’s bedroom. Once they were awake, the rest of the adults were doomed. If Mom and especially Dad were up, they weren’t going to let the rest of the house sleep.

When they went downstairs to wake Melody’s Mommy, Briana was transfixed by the living room. Her chest wouldn’t make room for breath. In the darkness of the early morning, the tree glowed like a multicolored star. It was covered in candy canes! Every branch that wasn’t already bowed under the weight of an ornament sported delicious sugar.

The stockings over the fireplace were bulging! One of those stockings had Briana’s name on it! Therefore, everything in that stocking belonged to her and she intended to take immediate possession of the contents.

It took Melody physically dragging Briana away from the tree to keep her from getting into the presents. She was grateful to her sib for keeping her on the straight and narrow – sort of.

It was hard to stay calm at Briana’s current level of frustration. She needed those presents like she needed food. There were a lot of frustrations cropping up all the time. Melody and Rosa wanted to snuggle, which wasted entire minutes! Even worse, Rosa insisted on changing both kids before presents could be opened. Briana was sure it would serve her caregivers right if she died on the spot from the sheer stress of the anticipation.

Finally, the adults had coffee and were stumbling about on their way to the living room. Mom promised that there was only one thing standing between them and presents. Briana needed to check on Grandma.

That was the first halfway acceptable delay of the morning. Briana was happy to repay Grandma for an awesome morning the day before. She trundled to Grandma’s room in her fluffy, clean diaper and knocked before entering.

Grandma was sitting on her bed, with an oxygen hose held to her nose. She looked pained to see Briana. It was a scary moment, until Briana realized that it was Grandma who was scared. She hadn’t wanted Briana to see her with her medical stuff.

“Grandma, it’s Christmas.” Briana said, cranking the cheer up. She’d already had the Christmas spirit at eleven, but for Grandma she could go to twelve!

“So I hear.” Grandma said, helplessly laughing before Briana’s cuteness.

“Grandma, there’s something I want from you for Christmas. Is it okay if I ask you?” She knelt in front of Grandma and looked up with all the earnestness she could muster.

“That was very polite, especially for such an excited little girl. I’ve already wrapped your present, but there’s no harm in asking.”

“Will you please take your oxygen out with you to unwrap presents?”

Grandma frowned, but it was a nervous frown. “Briana, I don’t want my daughter to see me like this. I didn’t want you to see me like this.”

“I know Grandma. It’s hard. It hurts and it’s scary to be weak. But everyone here is family. We all love you. We want you to be safe. This is the only present I want. I’d give back all of my presents to have a healthy grandma.”

I mean it too. Briana thought in surprise. Grandma is the most important thing right now.

“Briana.” Grandma’s lip trembled. She dropped the oxygen tube and covered her face, her shoulders shaking.

Wasting no time, Briana climbed up on the bed and wrapped herself around Grandma.

“It’s not supposed to be this way.” Grandma’s voice trembled with tears. “I’m too young to look like an old woman, with a cane and oxygen. It’s not fair.”

“It’s not fair.” Briana agreed. “It wasn’t fair when I started having my potty issues either. I did everything right, I paid for college and grad school all on my own, without any help or family. Then my advisor lost her grant and everything fell apart.”

Grandma sniffled. She wasn’t agreeing, but she wasn’t disagreeing either.

“I had to wear diapers. It was really scary and embarrassing. It helped that Mom made me do it. I didn’t have to decide to do it.”

Briana hugged Grandma gently. “Grandma, if I bought you an ugly hat, you’d wear it for me, right?”

“Of course, dear. I’d love anything you gave me.”

“Please wear the oxygen, for me? Not because you want to, or because the doctor says, but because your granddaughter wants you to.”

Grandma laughed through a sob. She grabbed Briana and hugged her until Bri thought her ribs would crack. Briana didn’t dare squeak in discomfort, she didn’t want to discourage Grandma even a little bit. Briana hung on for dear life, for Grandma’s life.

“You’re like my favorite rose, the sweet briar. My darling Briar Rose.” Grandma’s voice shook. It was quavering with happiness instead of tears now.

“Will you help me put this tube on, Briana Rose?”

“Yes Grandma. I can do it!” Briana wiped her eyes and carefully hooked the tube over Grandma’s ears, helping her tape it down under her nose. “Thank you Grandma. I really appreciate you wearing this for me.”

“Thank you, Little Rose.”

Grandma gave Briana one more huge hug. They both wiped their cheeks and composed themselves. Briana helped Grandma put the oxygen canister on its little rolling stand and crawled out to the living room, leading the way.

The look Mom gave Briana when she saw the oxygen on Grandma lifted Briana straight into the clouds. Wisely, Mom didn’t say anything to Grandma. She and Dad wished her a Merry Christmas and helped her sit in her chair without comment.

“Why don’t you kids start us off with opening your stockings?” Veronica asked.

Finally, Briana was free of the horrible present constraints! She grabbed her stocking and gleefully dumped it all over the floor. Candy showered her lap while she giggled maniacally. The heavy chocolate orange hitting her knee could not dull her triumph.

It wasn’t just candy in the stocking. There were bottles of nail polish, little plastic ponies, fancy markers, and sparkly pieces of costume jewelry. In a decadent haze, Briana yanked a candy cane off the tree and shoved it in her mouth without bothering to unwrap it. She put her hair up in silly plastic barrettes and made her ponies chase each other over Melody’s legs.

Her sibling was giggling in spite of themself. Melody’s stocking had the same candy haul, but the little toys were far different. For one thing, the ponies had been replaced by weird monsters. It was perfect for her sib.

As glorious as the stocking was, it could only hold Briana back from the pile of presents on the hearth for so long. They were in a totally different wrapping paper than the other presents in the house, proof positive that Santa had delivered them.

Briana went for the biggest one and shredded the paper into confetti that drifted around her like a halo. Inside was a huge Lego castle set, worthy of Cloudland! Mom directed Briana to two other Santa presents. One of them was a group of Lego animals for Cloudland’s court, the other was a cloudscape Lego set. Happy tears were pouring down Briana’s face and she didn’t care. There were two many presents to worry about wiping her cheeks.

Melody’s big Santa present was a kit to build a robot that was almost two feet high! Briana thought she’d seen a much smaller, similar robot in Melody’s room. Santa had come through for everybody!

Though Santa presents were amazing, (Her Santa Point total had been enough!) the personal presents were a whole other level. Briana and Melody had the task of handing out gifts, which she relished. It gave her a chance to personally give her gifts to each person in turn.

Briana started slow, delivering fudge to Erin and Suzie. It wasn’t an emotional gift, but they were both really happy. The candy had come from the best fudge shop in town, and Briana had not skimped on the portions. Getting to give nice presents filled an ache in Briana’s heart that she’d long-forgotten existed.

Chasing that high, Briana grabbed Rosa’s present next. She wished she’d known how much Rosa was going to mean to her when she’d bought it. It seemed like a small present now, unworthy of her new family member.

“For me huh?” Rosa grinned and tore the paper off in big strips. Briana approved of the technique.

“Nice, a Women’s World Cup Jersey – oh wow, it’s number fifteen!”

“It sure is!” Briana had no idea why that mattered but she was glad Rosa was excited.

“Megan Rapinoe is my favorite player!” Rosa said with a big grin. “Thanks Briana!”

“You’re welcome!” Briana giggled to herself. That was pure luck, or some of her karma coming back for helping Melody. Either way, she’d take it.

“I have one for you too.” Rosa pointed it out to Melody, who relayed it to Briana.

“Thank you!” Briana shredded the paper and looked curiously at the box within. It was a little girl’s hair salon kit, with kid-safe hair curlers, dye, hair beads, and other fun looking stuff.

“We’re going to be spending a lot of time together, since I’m moving in. Want to have a spa night together sometime and do your hair?”

“Oh my gosh Rosa yes!” Briana grinned and gave Rosa a huge hug. Melody got a big hug too, on the basis of present proximity.

A few more presents went around the group. They weren’t big emotional ones, but there were lots of happy smiles. The wrapping paper piles were getting out of control and there was a brief break while Mom put Briana and Melody to work stuffing the paper into bags.

Before the present frenzy could begin anew, Dad retrieved four small boxes from the pile under the tree. Briana sat up in immediate excitement, taking her box and flashing Melody a knowing grin.

All eyes were on Dad as she distributed the boxes, got down on one knee, and proposed to Mom. It was so Dad, stiff and formal, but warm and loving at the same time. Everyone cried when Mom and Dad put the rings on each other. Briana and Melody laughed through happy tears as they put their own rings on.

Like everything else that Christmas, it was perfect.

Melody surprised Briana with a present. She tore into it with just as much excitement as she had her stocking. Like the cookies, Briana was never going to be tired of opening presents.

It took her a moment to realize what the present was. A game console seemed like too big of a present to get from someone who didn’t have Mom and Grandma money. When Melody handed Briana the game to go with it, and explained why they’d gotten it, Briana finally discovered the real present.

Melody had gifted her hundreds of hours of playtime together. She threw herself at her sibling in the throes of overwhelming love. Best of all, Briana’s found-family figurines for Melody provoked just as much love in her sibling.

Briana’s heart was so full that she knew she wasn’t getting the full impact of the sweet present exchange between Melody and Rosa. They were adorable though, giving each other presents to strengthen their new Mommy-Baby bond.

With that emotion unprocessed, Briana was caught totally flat-footed when Grandma announced her attention to adopt Rosa. A new Auntie? Rosa would be Tia Rosa for real?

Grandma’s announcement, on top of all the wonderful presents and an engagement besides, derailed presents in a serious way. Everyone had to take a break and get some food. It felt decedent, almost indecent to leave presents still wrapped. Briana blessed her fortune that that was her life now, instead of there being no presents at all.

Still, there were a couple of really important presents left. Briana didn’t need an audience for them, but she did need to give them out. Having eaten way too much candy to need or want breakfast, Briana gathered up three presents to ambush her Mom, Dad, and Grandma with when they returned to the living room.

“Grandma, I have something for you. I’m sorry the wrapping isn’t very good, I had to do it in a hurry yesterday.”

“It’s fine, Little Rose.” Grandma said, deftly spreading out the wrinkled paper package. She looked curiously at the tiny plastic picture frame inside. “Oh my, is it a picture of you?”

Briana smiled, leaning against Mom and Dad’s legs. “It’s the only baby picture I have. We can make copies for Mom and Dad but… I want you to have the original.”

All three of them reached for Briana as one. She was swarmed with hugs, while Grandma rained kisses down on her head. There wasn’t a dry eye on team parents. Perfect! Now for Mom and Dad.

“Mom, Dad, here are your presents.”  Briana handed them the boxes, waiting with her lip trembling.

They opened their presents at the same time, pulling out the lockets and smiling together. Briana breathed a sigh of relief. The only thing she’d been worried about was not knowing their taste in jewelry well enough.

“Open them.” Briana urged.

Veronica’s breath caught in her throat. Jane bit her lip and wiped at her eyes.

“These are the pictures we took the day we adopted you.” Veronica said softly.

“I wanted to remember that day forever.” Briana wiped furiously at her tears, to no avail.

“My darling daughter, thank you.” Dad gathered Briana into her lap, sharing her with Mom. The three way snuggle lasted a while, even getting Briana out of wrapping paper duty. She nuzzled into the place where Mom and Dad’s shoulders met.

From the moment she’d woken up, Briana had thought her happiness had peaked. Instead, it had grown all day, expanding her heart past any previous limit. Now she was all heart, there was no part of Briana that wasn’t completely suffused with love.

Briana had a family, and not just any family. She had the best family in the world. It wasn’t the money that made it so, or the prestige. Those things were nice to have, but they weren’t the family.

It was the best family ever, because it was hers. Because everyone loved everyone else and they all fit. Because she was the little one and everyone cherished her for it.

This is my family. We belong together. No matter what happens, we have each other. My wish came true.

It was an emotionally exhausted and sugar-crashing Little Girl who had to go down for a nap. Of course, she wasn’t just a Little Girl, but a baby who needed to be a happy baby when her friends arrived that evening. Nor was a Baby the whole story. She was a friend and a girlfriend, but that wasn’t it either. Briana was a sister, a daughter, a granddaughter, and a niece twice over.

Not a bad set of titles for someone who didn’t have any a year ago. Briana thought blissfully, drifting off to sleep.

FIN

Author's Note: Is this the end of Briana and Melody's story? Certainly not! To begin with, this is only version one of the story. Publishing a chapter at a time is wonderful for feedback, but comes with some limitations.

Briana on Amazon

Baby Briana is already published to Amazon in a revised version. That new version is 25% longer and includes interludes that give the reader a window into Veronica and Jane's relationship beginnings.

Little Sister Briana, as presented here, will be split into two books, Little Sister Briana and A Family For BrianaLittle Sister Briana is publishing soon, hopefully next week! It too will be revised and expanded, as will the third book.

New Briana Novels
2023 will see a new Briana series, called "The Safe Harbor Trilogy". Tentatively we have Little Lady Briana and Little Witch Melody as titles for novels in that series.

Thank you!
I want to thank everyone who read my stories and especially those who commented! Feedback is the lifeblood of anxious artists like myself. ❤️ If you want to check out my books, you can see them on my Amazon Author Page. Otherwise, look for a new story to come to these forums, or check out all my stuff on My Archive!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3
  • SolSombraYSoldados changed the title to Little Sister Briana CH 40 (The Finale!) 11/07/21

Now that it’s all caught up I can finally say this stuff!!!! Yay but Nooooooo lol What bout the trip with Melody/Rose?? What bout meeting the Aunt?? Did Grandma officially move in next door!! What gifts did the others bring later?? Is the nasty Bea really gone?? My imagination has gone wild since I read it on the site early!
HELP ME! Lol 

I loved this story and the first one but this one more cuz I related to the characters a tad better :) I can’t wait to read more about this wild family! 

Thank ya kindly for all your skills! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
8 hours ago, LilRedAli said:

Now that it’s all caught up I can finally say this stuff!!!! Yay but Nooooooo lol What bout the trip with Melody/Rose?? What bout meeting the Aunt?? Did Grandma officially move in next door!! What gifts did the others bring later?? Is the nasty Bea really gone?? My imagination has gone wild since I read it on the site early!
HELP ME! Lol 

I loved this story and the first one but this one more cuz I related to the characters a tad better :) I can’t wait to read more about this wild family! 

Thank ya kindly for all your skills! 

I agree such a great and wonderful story loved it but definitely need to know more ?? Kinda left it hanging on some of that!! 

• Like 1
12 hours ago, LilRedAli said:

Yay but Nooooooo lol What bout the trip with Melody/Rose?? What bout meeting the Aunt?? Did Grandma officially move in next door!! What gifts did the others bring later?? Is the nasty Bea really gone?? My imagination has gone wild since I read it on the site early!
HELP ME! Lol 

4 hours ago, BabySerenity said:

I agree such a great and wonderful story loved it but definitely need to know more ?? Kinda left it hanging on some of that!! 

Next series will answer a lot of that for sure! I already have Kiara's arrival scene planned. :)

As for what gifts the others brought, the ebook will have an epilogue where there's a friend Christmas plus some Gary babying Briana time. ❤️ 

Beatrix I can answer here for sure, she gone. She SUPER gone. Not only did she get her life nuked by an oligarch family, but she fought the cops when they arrested her. Also she's not really capable of doing the "good behavior" thing in prison.

Bea fucked around and found out.

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, SolSombraYSoldados said:

Next series will answer a lot of that for sure! I already have Kiara's arrival scene planned. :)

As for what gifts the others brought, the ebook will have an epilogue where there's a friend Christmas plus some Gary babying Briana time. ❤️ 

Beatrix I can answer here for sure, she gone. She SUPER gone. Not only did she get her life nuked by an oligarch family, but she fought the cops when they arrested her. Also she's not really capable of doing the "good behavior" thing in prison.

Bea fucked around and found out.

Bless you kind Writter! Bless you! 
My head thanks ya and My heart thanks ya! 

• Like 1

Such a wonderful two part ending, I'm a little low battery right now but I just wanted to say kudos. This series is just like goals.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, YourFNF said:

Such a wonderful two part ending, I'm a little low battery right now but I just wanted to say kudos. This series is just like goals.

Thanks! It was a crazy journey to get the series written and share it with people, but the response has made it all worth it. ❤️

• 3 months later...

Oh wow! This was amazingly sweet! The way you managed to combine Briana's little/baby side with the sexual part of the kink is amazing! Usually I don't feel like I have to "possess" a story after reading it, but here I might have to get the ebook versions as soon as I'm doing well enough financially ?

Definitely HUGE thanks for posting it!! I'm looking forward to the sequels! ❤️

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, flowerdaddy22 said:

Oh wow! This was amazingly sweet! The way you managed to combine Briana's little/baby side with the sexual part of the kink is amazing! Usually I don't feel like I have to "possess" a story after reading it, but here I might have to get the ebook versions as soon as I'm doing well enough financially ?

Definitely HUGE thanks for posting it!! I'm looking forward to the sequels! ❤️

Thank you for the super kind words! :D Briana is such a favorite little brat of mine. And as I edit the 2nd ebook, damn I'm finding some bratty bits. That's okay though, and her spunk will serve her well in the sequel.

Only the first ebook is out so far, the second is dropping in... oh god, 13 days. ?

This massive story you just read is getting split in two for the ebooks, because it's almost 200,000 words. :) 
Up to chapter 23 is Little Sister Briana, after that the book will be called: A Family For Briana.

• Like 1

The Little Sister Briana eBook is available for pre-order!

It covers the time period between Melody moving in and Thanksgiving, is lovingly edited, and contains bonus content that fleshes out both Littles' stories. 

This was supposed to drop in November, so I'm really excited to finally get it out to y'all! Official release date is Tuesday, February 28th.

• 4 months later...