LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Is "Thanks in advance" demanding? (Turning into a discussion about phones)

So, I was just writing something and my grammar correcting program "LanguageTool" basically the open source alternative to "Grammarly" told me that "Thanks in advance" can come off as demanding. This is especially odd to me as I always thought of "Thanks in advance" to be a polite way of ending a letter/message.

image.png

Mind you, this isn't meant to be some super serious post, simply me asking your thoughts on this as I find it fairly interesting.

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, kasarberang said:

So, I was just writing something and my grammar correcting program "LanguageTool" basically the open source alternative to "Grammarly" told me that "Thanks in advance" can come off as demanding. This is especially odd to me as I always thought of "Thanks in advance" to be a polite way of ending a letter/message.

image.png

Mind you, this isn't meant to be some super serious post, simply me asking your thoughts on this as I find it fairly interesting.

Well, I'm with you on that one buddy! I've NEVER thought of "Thanks in advance" to be demanding sounding. if anything, it's the OPPOSITE of the situation. LOL! By the way, why would you use an alternative to grammarly? it's great, I use it all the time!?????? LOL!???????☺️

9 minutes ago, Jesse The BabySpiderBoy said:

Well, I'm with you on that one buddy! I've NEVER thought of "Thanks in advance" to be demanding sounding. if anything, it's the OPPOSITE of the situation. LOL! By the way, why would you use an alternative to grammarly? it's great, I use it all the time!?????? LOL!???????☺️

Mostly just a personal preference, I like that it's open source and I like supporting open-source projects. It being open-source means there are more eyes on the code and it's less likely for it to have security vulnerabilities, since multiple people can contribute to help fix bugs. Also, it helps ensure that the software isn't doing anything shady in the background, since people can audit the code to see exactly what it's doing. This isn't a sure fire guarantee, but it does hold the company more accountable, since if they were hiding something malicious in their code and someone found it, it could ruin their reputation. Whereas companies with non-open-sourced code can do whatever they want.

It's also significantly cheaper than Grammarly, which is a reason in of itself. Grammarly costs $12/mo $144/year, LanguageTool is $60/year, which is less than half of Grammarly.

I also find LanguageTool's privacy policy to be a bit more readable and easy to understand, whereas Grammarly's is significantly longer with a lot more variables to consider. I prefer to use products with easier to understand Privacy Policies, so I know what I'm signing up for.

It's all a matter of personal choice. I use what works for me and others should use what works for them!

• Like 1
2 hours ago, kasarberang said:

Mostly just a personal preference, I like that it's open source and I like supporting open-source projects. It being open-source means there are more eyes on the code and it's less likely for it to have security vulnerabilities, since multiple people can contribute to help fix bugs. Also, it helps ensure that the software isn't doing anything shady in the background, since people can audit the code to see exactly what it's doing. This isn't a sure fire guarantee, but it does hold the company more accountable, since if they were hiding something malicious in their code and someone found it, it could ruin their reputation. Whereas companies with non-open-sourced code can do whatever they want.

It's also significantly cheaper than Grammarly, which is a reason in of itself. Grammarly costs $12/mo $144/year, LanguageTool is $60/year, which is less than half of Grammarly.

I also find LanguageTool's privacy policy to be a bit more readable and easy to understand, whereas Grammarly's is significantly longer with a lot more variables to consider. I prefer to use products with easier to understand Privacy Policies, so I know what I'm signing up for.

It's all a matter of personal choice. I use what works for me and others should use what works for them!

Oh okay, that makes a LOT of sense now! I NEVER went premium with grammarly. I ONLY have the free version. But EVEN then, I'm still a grammar Nazi because of my brother. He was ALWAYS on my ass for my grammar growing up, so I just kinda NEVER grew out of that. And now I inherited that unfortunately to the point where whenever I see somebody's bad grammar it legitimately pisses me off, EVEN though it shouldn't. LOL! Especially on YouTube, because you see that a LOT and then it's like, "What the hell are people thinking when they're typing?!"??????? LOL!??????

4 minutes ago, Jesse The BabySpiderBoy said:

Oh okay, that makes a LOT of sense now! I NEVER went premium with grammarly. I ONLY have the free version. But EVEN then, I'm still a grammar Nazi because of my brother. He was ALWAYS on my ass for my grammar growing up, so I just kinda NEVER grew out of that. And now I inherited that unfortunately to the point where whenever I see somebody's bad grammar it legitimately pisses me off, EVEN though it shouldn't. LOL! Especially on YouTube, because you see that a LOT and then it's like, "What the hell are people thinking when they're typing?!"??????? LOL!??????

Something that might help you be a little more lax when it comes to individuals on YouTube, is a lot (if not most) of YouTube traffic actually comes from phones, so there's probably a large number of comments made using a mobile phone. I don't know about you, but I have a very difficult time typing anything actually meaningful on a phone. The keyboard is so small and my fingers are fairly big, plus I have to deal with the imperfections of the touchscreen sometimes pressing buttons I don't mean to. Add autocorrect, trying it's best to totally ruin everything you are trying to say by automatically replacing words with other words that make no sense if given the smallest amount of context. Anyway, phones are frustrating, and I seldom use my phone except for calling. I even use my computer for texting/calling most of the time, because it's just so much easier for me to navigate. This is starting to go on a bit of a tangent about how I hate phones, so I'll stop there, lol.

• Haha 1
6 minutes ago, kasarberang said:

Something that might help you be a little more lax when it comes to individuals on YouTube, is a lot (if not most) of YouTube traffic actually comes from phones, so there's probably a large number of comments made using a mobile phone. I don't know about you, but I have a very difficult time typing anything actually meaningful on a phone. The keyboard is so small and my fingers are fairly big, plus I have to deal with the imperfections of the touchscreen sometimes pressing buttons I don't mean to. Add autocorrect, trying it's best to totally ruin everything you are trying to say by automatically replacing words with other words that make no sense if given the smallest amount of context. Anyway, phones are frustrating, and I seldom use my phone except for calling. I even use my computer for texting/calling most of the time, because it's just so much easier for me to navigate. This is starting to go on a bit of a tangent about how I hate phones, so I'll stop there, lol.

It's ACTUALLY REALLY funny that you mentioned that buddy, because I use my phone ALL the time when I'm on the internet, DOESN'T matter where. LOL! How do you think I make so many posts on DD everyday? How do you think I won 72 days on DD for the past two years? LOL! The point is I use my phone an LOT. I do find it interesting though that a lot of YouTube traffic comes from phones, but now that I think about it, it actually makes a lot of sense given the context of the situation usually. I DON'T know WHY I didn't think of that before. LOL!???????? As for me, it's easy for me to type on my phone, given the fact that I LITERALLY have the hands of an 11 year old little boy!???????? I'm NOT EVEN joking about that! LOL! But usually I use mine voice dictation on my phone to type long sentences and do pretty much everything. Although it messes up like 60% of the time. LOL! But then I'll proofread and go back and fix my mistakes. like I said, I'm an Grammar Nazi. Unfortunately!?????

6 minutes ago, Jesse The BabySpiderBoy said:

It's ACTUALLY REALLY funny that you mentioned that buddy, because I use my phone ALL the time when I'm on the internet, DOESN'T matter where. LOL! How do you think I make so many posts on DD everyday? How do you think I won 72 days on DD for the past two years? LOL! The point is I use my phone an LOT. I do find it interesting though that a lot of YouTube traffic comes from phones, but now that I think about it, it actually makes a lot of sense given the context of the situation usually. I DON'T know WHY I didn't think of that before. LOL!???????? As for me, it's easy for me to type on my phone, given the fact that I LITERALLY have the hands of an 11 year old little boy!???????? I'm NOT EVEN joking about that! LOL! But usually I use mine voice dictation on my phone to type long sentences and do pretty much everything. Although it messes up like 60% of the time. LOL! But then I'll proofread and go back and fix my mistakes. like I said, I'm an Grammar Nazi. Unfortunately!?????

That's interesting. I think most people use their phone a lot now adays. I am not one of them, lol. I don't even bring my phone with me when I go out. If it were up to me we'd have a home phone and that's it, and not just any home phone, I want a rotary home phone! I like that aesthetic. My wife uses her phone enough to justify us having regular phones though, and it's nice to be able to check messages and emails when I wake up, but aside from when I first wake up or when we go out to like a doctors appointment or somewhere far away, I don't use my phone at all.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, kasarberang said:

That's interesting. I think most people use their phone a lot now adays. I am not one of them, lol. I don't even bring my phone with me when I go out. If it were up to me we'd have a home phone and that's it, and not just any home phone, I want a rotary home phone! I like that aesthetic. My wife uses her phone enough to justify us having regular phones though, and it's nice to be able to check messages and emails when I wake up, but aside from when I first wake up or when we go out to like a doctors appointment or somewhere far away, I don't use my phone at all.

That's VERY interesting! LOL! I DON'T EVEN think they make rotary phones anymore, much less home phones. I'm NOT EVEN sure you can find one, then again I haven't looked.???

The last house phones I remember that we had were when I was 13 years old, back in 2008. They were these black ones. That were big and had big white buttons on them. I LOVED the noise they made when you pressed the buttons. LOL!???? it was kind of nostalgic. One thing I don't miss though, is VCRs. Although we DIDN'T use them very much. But we did ALWAYS go down to the video store and rent a batch of them for a couple of days on a Friday night. I think they EVEN would give us a discount because we went there so much, but that was like, back in the late 90's. I barely remember it.??????☺️??♥️?

4 minutes ago, Jesse The BabySpiderBoy said:

That's VERY interesting! LOL! I DON'T EVEN think they make rotary phones anymore, much less home phones. I'm NOT EVEN sure you can find one, then again I haven't looked.???

The last house phones I remember that we had were when I was 13 years old, back in 2008. They were these black ones. That were big and had big white buttons on them. I LOVED the noise they made when you pressed the buttons. LOL!???? it was kind of nostalgic. One thing I don't miss though, is VCRs. Although we DIDN'T use them very much. But we did ALWAYS go down to the video store and rent a batch of them for a couple of days on a Friday night. I think they EVEN would give us a discount because we went there so much, but that was like, back in the late 90's. I barely remember it.??????☺️??♥️?

They do still make home phones and Rotary phones are also still made, though the rotary phones on the market now are just functional replicas, but that's fine I want one anyway.

It's actually still highly recommended having a home phone for emergency purposes. Home phones are bound to your exact house, and it makes it easy for emergency services to track the call to your location, instead of just your general area. So it's recommended to have one in case of emergency.

• Like 1
  • kasarberang changed the title to Is "Thanks in advance" demanding? (Turning into a discussion about phones)
5 hours ago, kasarberang said:

They do still make home phones and Rotary phones are also still made, though the rotary phones on the market now are just functional replicas, but that's fine I want one anyway.

It's actually still highly recommended having a home phone for emergency purposes. Home phones are bound to your exact house, and it makes it easy for emergency services to track the call to your location, instead of just your general area. So it's recommended to have one in case of emergency.

So you're telling me that they LEGITIMATELY make rotary phones that WORK, or are they just replicas like for decoration?! If it's the latter, my brother would ABSOLUTELY LOVE it!???♥️?????? LOL!???????☺️

Why did you change the title? LOL!??????????♥️????

44 minutes ago, Jesse The BabySpiderBoy said:

So you're telling me that they LEGITIMATELY make rotary phones that WORK, or are they just replicas like for decoration?

Rotary phones use a system called pulse dialing.  Mechanically, they send a series of rapid electric pulses down the line, the number of which is commensurate with the number dialed.

Modern phones use a tone-based system but telephone exchanges (in Australia at least) STILL listen for the old pulse dialing system I'm told as there are handsets still out there.

It would suck to try to do something like phone banking using a rotary dial though.  Not sure if call center systems would listening for pulse dialing either so the phone might only be good for ringing people in the 1970s.

"Thanks in advance" will most often sound demanding and/or rude. 

"Can you change the oil on my car?  Thanks in advance."   You thank the person before he accepts the job. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Jesse The BabySpiderBoy said:

So you're telling me that they LEGITIMATELY make rotary phones that WORK, or are they just replicas like for decoration?! If it's the latter, my brother would ABSOLUTELY LOVE it!???♥️?????? LOL!???????☺️

What did you change the title? LOL!??????????♥️????

They are phones that use the new standard in order to function, but maintain the old aesthetic, so they are functional replicas.

https://www.amazon.com/Telephones-Sangyn-Classic-Landline-Telephone/dp/B01I4SOFGO

Hightlights

Traditional rotary dial

Real metal bell ringer

No external power supply

Supports modern phone connections

• Like 1

"I DON'T EVEN think they make rotary phones anymore, much less home phones. I'm NOT EVEN sure you can find one, then again I haven't looked."

Hey, you can probably see at least one in every antique mall.... :D

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, WBxx said:

Well, I'll be DAMNED they ACTUALLY STILL work!!!!!????? LOL!????????

ron-simmons-wrestler.gif

17 hours ago, kasarberang said:

No, not at all! To be honest, 'consider rephrasing your sentence' is a lot more demanding.

• Haha 2
4 hours ago, DailyDi said:

I often use "Thanks in advance for your time and consideration" so it doesn't assume a positive response.

REALLY?! I NEVER would have thought of that.?

36 minutes ago, Jesse The BabySpiderBoy said:

REALLY?! I NEVER would have thought of that.?

I used to be a music journalist, so I sent a lot of ticket / photo pass requests, and used that line often!

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, DailyDi said:

I used to be a music journalist, so I sent a lot of ticket / photo pass requests, and used that line often!

REALLY?!???????? That's pretty COOL Mikey! what was it like being an music journalist?!????

14 minutes ago, Jesse The BabySpiderBoy said:

REALLY?!???????? That's pretty COOL Mikey! what was it like being an music journalist?!????

It was a blast. I've seen more concerts than I can count, and gotten to talk to most of my country music heroes.

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, DailyDi said:

It was a blast. I've seen more concerts than I can count, and gotten to talk to most of my country music heroes.

You like COUNTRY music Mikey?!?? What's an music journalist anyway?!?????????????