LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Advertised vs actual capacity

socal-dl

You see a diaper say it can hold so many ounces (or milliliters), and I'm curious how that stands up to what it will actually hold. I'm guessing it's lower, but I'm curious what people's experiences are

The advertised capacity is based off an ASTM standard. I don't know the exact standard but if I understand correctly they pour water into the diaper until it is completely unable to hold another drop. They then turn it upside down and once it stops dripping they weigh it.

If you want some realistic, relevant reviews/capacities I recommend XP Medical or Real World Incontinence on YouTube. 

• Thanks 1

Advertised is basicly how much water can it hold.  Actual capasity is about 1/3rd or 1/4 the Advertised amount because urine isnt completly water as it contains different types of salts(urea and proteins ect) and possible living things that your body is trying to get rid of.

Well, there are "different types of capacity" laboratory or experimental capacity as stated above, vs. real life, practical capacity. Sure, something says it "will hold 6000 ml" .... In a lab setting. Real life daily useable capacity is quite a bit less. 6000 ml =6.34 quarts (us) or 1 1/2 gallons!!! Which would weigh a bit over 8 pounds (8.33 pounds) which is a heck of a lot of weight to be hauling around in your pants!!! ? and that is if you are just standing....... What about sitting??? Press out leaks suck, or something that leaks because you are sitting, and compressing the padding which cant absorb and swell like the rest of... What ever brand of diaper you are wearing. Had this happen with a dry 24/7, soaked it a couple of times while driving.... Wound up with the back side of my shorts getting  soaked from the diaper not being able to do what it was supposed to do.. ?? normally they work....ok for me, just have fit issues...

But, anyways, I find the capacity claims to be rather irratating, stating that "X" product will hold xxxx ml but only under "ideal" conditions, where REAL WORLD conditions are FAR from ideal, and  a 6000 ml product will actually only hold 2500, or 2.64 quarts ( 1 quart is 32 oz) which is still a lot, but no where near what is advertised. Companies doing this might consider more "real world" capacity claims, before someone drags them off to court for false advertising, or what ever else!!.

My experience has been that "real world" capacity is ROUGHLY one third of the ISO capacity.  Lots of variables will change this (for the even-worse) though but one third seems to be about as good as it gets for me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
6 hours ago, oznl said:

My experience has been that "real world" capacity is ROUGHLY one third of the ISO capacity.  Lots of variables will change this (for the even-worse) though but one third seems to be about as good as it gets for me.

I really like that rule of thumb. 

10 hours ago, oznl said:

My experience suggests the same thing. In real world use, you are not going to be evenly distributing your output across the entirety of the garment, and even if you could, there is a difference between what something will hold and how far you can expect to push it and still be able to function without constantly checking for leaks. You might as well not have a diaper on if you have to behave as though you are going to possibly dampen anything you come into contact with. 

On 12/14/2021 at 9:54 PM, MegaChar said:

Advertised is basicly how much water can it hold.  Actual capasity is about 1/3rd or 1/4 the Advertised amount because urine isnt completly water as it contains different types of salts(urea and proteins ect) and possible living things that your body is trying to get rid of.

GROSS!? But also true!???

• Like 1