LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Is there any way to STOP automerging replies to ONE long posting?

@DailyDi

Just curious:  Is there a way to STOP an "automerged reply" from happening?  It makes the poster have to edit the posting out of the original one which was merged.  Sometimes, this is appropriate to do, as you can add information to one post, and other times it is NOT, and you may not want the "mess" of one huge reply.  I know that the reason that is done is so that you don't have multiple single postings in one thread, one after the other, but when it does do this, it just throws it at the bottom of the posting above, and that may not be appropriate to do.

Is there a way to make it so you CHOOSE to auto merge?  I've had to edit a post 3-4 times in the last few minutes because of this behavior, and I REALLY didn't want that to happen

Brian

Where I get that is if I post to a thread more than once. Generally the only way I can do that is to leave DD between posts. At least it has not happened if I post to different forums. I do not know what happens if I post to different threads in the same forum

24 minutes ago, Little Christine said:

Where I get that is if I post to a thread more than once. Generally the only way I can do that is to leave DD between posts. At least it has not happened if I post to different forums. I do not know what happens if I post to different threads in the same forum

@Little Christine

I may have to do that for the time being, because there seems to be a time difference between when you post what, and the fact that anything you respond to UNDER a previous posting is determined to be "auto merge eligible."  @DailyDi is really good at what he does, and I am sure that he will check this out, and report back to us as to his findings.  I will have to do a test next time, and post something, leave, and then wait, and return to make sure that the board software thinks that it is a new posting.  

As I said, sometimes auto merging replies is helpful, and sometimes it is not:  To have it just "decide" when it happens like it did to me at least twice is problematic:  The reply puts a large box in there, and anything that is posted when edited can be a mess:  Mikey should be able to address this one with some research, so I will wait patiently, and make sure that if I want to reply to someone without a merge, I will reload and wait, and then reply.

Thanks for the information :)

Brian 

Don't see a way to turn it off as its part of the anti-flood control. While we haven't had much of a flood issue on the boards here it might be because it doesn't allow it to get started :)

• Thanks 1
On 12/30/2020 at 7:45 PM, DailyDi said:

Don't see a way to turn it off as its part of the anti-flood control. While we haven't had much of a flood issue on the boards here it might be because it doesn't allow it to get started :)

@DailyDi

I will just remember that if i want to post in separate postings that I must leave and return to the thread:  Makes sense, because it keeps board flooding at bay.  :0

Thanks for investigating for me :)

Brian

1 hour ago, Nat said:

Why is post merging a issue? 

@Nat

The reason it is an issue is because what happens is if you are in ONE posting, and you are responding to multiple quotes, it wants to keep adding EVERYTHING to the posting that is currently ABOVE the one that is being constructed.  This is to stop people from "flooding" the forums, but what it causes me is a tad bit of inconvenience, because I have to delete what the system merges, and then leave the thread for a few seconds, so time passes, and that allows me to post a new posting, when I don't want to merge content.

Merging content has its good points and bad, but what is inconvenient is when you have to "clean up" the postings and quote boxes and it looks stupid - and sometimes, I don't want 10 paragraphs merged with something simply because it is posted back to back, but I understand what merging helps avoid :)

Brian