LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Afternoon in the Chokey (Updated 4-17-24)

On 2/2/2024 at 10:50 AM, SashaButters said:

A happy chapter? *narrows eyes* suspicious… 🤨 xD

I gotta second that. It was indeed quite a happy chapter. 

Jenny is absolutely adorable with how innocent and naïve she is. Lol

I'm not sure what to think about the ghost wife though. 

“What happened a couple weeks ago?”

Jennifer looked up from her paperwork. She rotated her cramped wrist. An hour on the adding machine and she was ready to chuck it out the window. “What do you mean?” she asked. She knew what Matilda was asking, but she wasn’t sure if she was ready to share.

“You were…” Matilda stopped to think, “inconsolable.” 

There were a few days she didn’t think she’d ever escape the pit of despair she had found herself in. She wasn’t out. But she was stable. Everyday was a step forward. Sometimes there were setbacks. Matilda had come back from recess and caught her crying last week. She still didn’t like being alone in her office. 

A plea to the kids for artwork had helped. Now her office was full of drawings of rainbows, animals, cars, people, and one very inappropriate rendering of Miss Trunchbull’s burning corpse. She kept it in her drawer for private viewing. Although there was no name printed on the bottom, she had a feeling she knew where it came from.

But her two favorites she had framed. Matilda’s giraffe, even though Matilda vehemently opposed the idea, and another. She had found it on her desk the next morning. It was beautiful. Whoever had created this had amazing talent. It had to have been done by one of the staff members, all the student drawings had their names on the bottoms, like she had asked. 

It was a picture of Matilda bent down over her school desk in her cubby. Purple and yellow flowers were sprouting beneath her feet and all around her. Green leafy vines were running up the legs of her desk.. And next to her were the broken scattered remains of the chokey lying on the ground. Jennifer loved it. She had hung it in her line of sight. It reminded her she wasn’t in this alone anymore. She had someone in her life she had to keep going for. Someone in her life who made her “keep going’s” feel more and more like “living.”

Her first thought would be an art teacher, but they didn’t have an art department. Or even the subject. Only a small handful of people even knew Matilda was back there, and all of them were staff members. Well, most of them. She had spotted a few top forms who were in trouble taking a peak, wanting to know what it looked like without the Chokey she supposed. Also, the picture had been done in oil pastels, and she doubted the school had any of those lying around. She had asked Carol if it was her, but she had laughed at the idea and explained she was more autistic than artistic. Her words, not Jennifer’s. 

“I found an old journal of Agatha’s in the air vent.” Jennifer said after silently debating with herself. “It made me remember some painful stuff.”

“Oh.” Matilda said with a weak laugh. “I thought you were upset over Hortensia.” 

“I lost a baby.” Jennifer said. “They would have been a couple years older than you.”

“You never told me you were pregnant! And…and…you had to have only been…” she began counting on her fingers. It was the only time she had ever seen Matilda struggle to wrap her head around a math problem. 

“I was young.” Jennifer said, fiddling with her pen. 

“I’m sorry.” Matilda said softly.  She must have read the room because she didn’t ask anymore questions. No “Why didn’t you tell me?” or “Who was the father?”  It was always hit or miss with her. Sometimes Matilda was so insightful Jennifer was certain she could read her mind. But then she’d follow it up with something so off the wall and out of left field (not to mention inappropriate) that Jennifer could relax knowing her own thoughts were safely inside her head. 

Dr. Renfield speculated it was due to Matilda’s heightened sense of nearby emotions she wasn’t able to yet distinguish from her own. Jennifer was thankful she had gotten the hang of tuning them out. 

“I’m glad you’re feeling better.” Matilda said. Jennifer smiled at her, an action which was becoming less forced and more natural everyday. “What happened last weekend?” 

“Last weekend?” Jennifer asked with a sickening feeling in her stomach. Please no. Please no. 

“I don’t think it was my own emotion.” She said, a puzzled look on her face. “Was it?” 

“What were you doing?”

“Playing Playstation with Hazel.” Well, almost had them tuned out.

“Wh-what did you feel?” 

“Hmm…” Matilda said. “Euphoric?” 

“Well that’s a big word for someone your age.” Mrs. Rodgers said as she poked her head in. Jennifer eagerly waved her in, welcoming the change of subject. “Who’s feeling euphoric?” 

“Matilda. Hazel was over last weekend and brought her Playstation. Matilda’s never played with one before.” Jennifer said. “She was having fun.” She explained, eyeing the girl. 

“I don’t know if it was me though. I was losing. What were you doing?” 

“Yeah, Miss Honey, what were you doing while the kids were distracted?” Carol whispered. Jennifer glared at her. 

“Talking with Brian in the backyard.” Jennifer lied.

“They won’t notice we’re gone.” He whispered in her ear.  So they had gone out to the backyard at her insistence. There were no radios back there. They had climbed onto the porch swing together where she had let him stick his hand in her pants.  It was nothing like the romance novels. Or like the other night on the phone. As soon as it would start to feel good, he would do something else or his hand would slip. Maybe her expectations had been too high after the other night. Or worse, what if she was into being watched? Either way, it had left her feeling disappointed. She had been excited to experience that again but eventually, she got too sore to keep going and it never happened. She didn’t tell him that though.

….

“Oh, my girl’s already faking her first orgasm; they grow up so fast.” Carol said as they sat in her car on their lunch break. Jennifer groaned.

“I’m still so raw.” Jennifer complained, shifting in her seat. She let out a sigh. “I thought…” She wasn’t sure how much she was willing to share. Carol eyed her eagerly like a puppy begging for food. “It would be better.” she admitted. 

“It’ll happen, don’t give up.” Carol said. 

Jennifer massaged the back of her head sheepishly. “It kinda, already did.” Carol clung onto her arm. 

“Jen!” She grinned. “So you two are sleeping together? It is getting serious!” Jennifer sank down in her seat. 

“No, I didn’t mean that, I meant…” Her eyes went wide. “The thing that happens…” She circled her wrist, hoping to be able to gloss over the details. No such luck.

“Spit it out.” Carol teased. Jennifer slumped forward. 

“...Finish?” she asked with a grimace. 

“Or-gas-m.” Carol said, sounding it out as Jennifer shook her head. “Say it.” Carol said with a teasing grin on her face. 

“Orgasm.” Jennifer mumbled in embarrassment. 

“Well, don’t leave me hanging.” Carol said when Jennifer didn’t elaborate. 

“We, were, umm, talking on the phone, and he started talking about stuff.” 

“Stuff, huh?” Carol grinned. “Go on.” 

“Our night together may have come up.” Jennifer explained. 

“Yes?” She gave her a pleading look, but Carol wasn’t going to drop it. She sighed in defeat.

“We were masturbating.” She finally mumbled. “And, yeah. It happened. So I thought him touching it would feel even better, but it didn’t. It kind of hurt, and he didn’t go inside! I wasn’t ready for that, and now I feel even less ready than before.” 

“Was he touching the right spots?” 

“No.” 

“Did you tell him where they were?” Jennifer sunk back down again. “Jen, you can’t expect him to get it right the first time going in blind. You have to give directions. The package isn’t getting delivered if you don’t give the address.” 

“Let’s talk about something else.” Jennifer mumbled. 

“Look, there’s nothing wrong with you, okay? All guys have trouble finding the clitorus, it’s a universal problem and for the rawness, use that cream next time. It’s hard to get in the mood when it’s uncomfortable. ” 

Jennifer wanted to smack herself. That’s what had been different. That little bottle of cream. Had her long fought nemesis had just become her new best friend?

“So then who was feeling Euphoric? It certainly wasn’t you.” Carol laughed. Jennifer buried her head in her hands. 

“Him.” She mumbled in embarrassment. 

“Oh! Oh!” She felt Carol slap her on the back. “Wait, don’t tell me he came in his pants just from touching you.” 

“Eww, no.” All over her decorative pillows they had been canoodling behind. She hadn’t expected… so much of it. Touching it wasn’t as bad as she had expected it to be. And seeing the look on his face, head back and eyes closed utterly lost in the moment, had been rather thrilling. She was worried she wouldn’t be any good, or would somehow manage to hurt him, but he seemed to be enjoying himself just fine. “I, umm, returned the favor. ” Carol grinned, her desire for gossip now satiated. 

Jennifer stared out across the parking lot watching the kids at recess. She was slowly learning all their names. She had kept her aunts scheduled visits to the classrooms, not to show the teachers anything, but just to get to know the students. The younger children had been excited to see her, but to the older ones, she was a foreign entity. Her favorite visit had been last week to the top form classroom to teach math. She had written a rather difficult math problem on the board and asked if anyone could solve it. She offered extra credit to anyone who could, but none came forward. Eventually, she started calling on people, and when she had asked Hortensia, the classroom burst into giggles. 

Hortensia had given her a rather dirty look, but reluctantly came forward. You could hear a pin drop as she worked it out on the board, and when Jennifer announced it was correct, even her teacher was left speechless. It was the only time she had ever seen Hortensia smile since she had moved out. In the blink of an eye it was gone, but it had been there. 

“Good job, I’m proud of you.” Jennifer had said softly as she made her way back to her seat. Hortensia had looked almost startled at the words. It was clear that was not a phrase she had often heard. 

She scanned the kids in search of her, but frowned when she couldn’t find her. 

“Tens isn’t out here.” she mumbled, more to herself than anything.

“She’s been spending her lunch in my office sleeping.” Carol said between bites of her sandwich. Jennifer scowled. 

“Why?” 

“Kid came in last week looking like she was going to drop. I offered to let her sleep during lunch and she’s come in every day since.” 

“But why? Isn’t she getting enough sleep at home?” Come to think of it, she had frequently been in trouble for sleeping in class. 

“Maybe they aren't as strict as you about bedtime.” Jennifer frowned. She couldn’t imagine that being the case. 

The bell rang signaling the end of recess. She’d get to the bottom of it another time. For now, it was time to go back to work. She rotated her sore wrist a few more times before reluctantly getting out of the car. She wasn’t looking forward to going back to the adding machine. 

She spotted Matilda making her way down the steps with her old classmates, but she was trailing behind, not interacting with them. Her frown deepened as she watched. She had a feeling she was missing Hortensia, even if she refused to admit it. Jennifer had been inviting Hazel over more and more so Matilda could have someone to play with, even if the only thing they had to bond over was video games. Work could wait a bit. She strode over to the playground, much to the delight of her old class. 

“Miss Honey!” They cheered. Jennifer smiled as a group of children ran up and gave her a hug. 

“I miss you all.” Jennifer said. She listened as Alice told her about her new backpack, and Nigel told her about his summer. “What do you guys think of the new equipment?” She gestured around. 

“It’s so big!” 

“Cool!”

“I love it!” 

Jennifer beamed. She looked around the playground and spotted Matilda off by herself watching her. She waved her over. Hesitantly, Matilda came over. 

“What are you doing all by yourself?” Jennifer asked. Matilda shrugged. She looked around the group. “Do you guys want to play a game before I have to go back to work?” An excited cheer went up through the group. “Alright, you guys pick.” 

They decided on Telephone. Jennifer leaned down and whispered “I like Rose’s new haircut.” in Nigel’s ear. He passed the message on to Amanda and she passed it on to Eric, and on and on it went until the last child repeated a nonsensical babble of syllables. The group of children giggled.  

“Can we play Red Rover, Miss Honey?” Nigel asked. 

“I have to go back to work, sorry.” Jennifer said. The children let out a collective groan of disappointment. “Alright, alright, a couple rounds.” They cheered as they formed two separate lines and began to call each other over. Jennifer laughed. They always tried to get through her for some reason. Michael managed to barrel through two girls on the opposing side, who had more or less jumped out of his way in fright of getting their arms smashed. Now it was Nigel’s turn. He made a dash towards their line. She grimaced. 

He was heading straight for Matilda. 

She silently worried she’d block him with her powers and Jennifer would have to make up an excuse as to why he felt like he had run into an invisible brick wall. She bit her lip anxiously as she watched, half expecting him to fly backwards before he ever made contact. At the last second, he changed directions and went for Matilda’s other side where she was holding on to Lavender’s hand. Both girls strained to keep hold of each other, but Nigel broke through. Jennifer let out a relieved breath and smiled as the three of them laughed together. Mission accomplished. 

She winked at Matilda before she excused herself. She really had to go back to work now. Jennifer gave a final wave good-bye before returning to her office. She should play with the kids more often, she thought to herself. That was fun. 

Her smile faltered a moment as she made her way to her desk. There was a large beige envelope addressed to “Jenny” waiting for her. Curious, she picked it up. It didn’t look like anything official. Anything school related was usually addressed as “Headmistress” or “Miss Honey”. Not many people called her Jenny here. She carefully undid the little metallic clasps and opened it before pulling out the contents. She let out a gasp. 

It was another oil pastel rendering. Her smile returned, even larger now as she took in the artwork. It was of two hands clasped together, one big and the other small. The detail was amazing. She stared at it a moment longer before taking it out to show the other staff members in the office. Now she was more curious than ever to know who had done this, but no one saw anyone go into her office while she was at lunch. 

“Maybe you have a secret admirer.” Carol laughed. “Your boyfriend’s got competition.” she said when Jennifer went in there to ask her. Jennifer rolled her eyes. “Hey, what if it is your boyfriend?” 

“I don’t think so.” Jennifer said. Although she’d ask him tonight just to cross that off her possible list of suspects. “I never told him about asking for artwork.” And she’d know if he was this talented at drawing. She’d played Pictionary with him a few weeks ago. He was not. How that blob was supposed to be a chair, she’d never know. 

“Maybe it’s Hortensia.” Carol suggested. Jennifer snorted. The level of detail and thought that went into these. The emotion. Someone had put their heart and soul into these. All she had ever seen Hortensia draw was that hideous face. And the picture of her aunt's charred corpse sitting in her drawer. 

“It’s an adult.” Jennifer said. “That’s not something a kid could draw.” Carol shrugged. 

“Maybe it’s Hortensia, what?” A groggy sounding voice asked. Carol winced.

“I forgot she was still here.” Carol whispered before turning towards the back of the room. “Time to get up and go back to class, sleeping beauty.” 

“Five more minutes.” 

“Up. I forgot you were here and gave you an extra fifteen. You’ll be lucky if your teacher

doesn’t give you a paddling for being late.” Jennifer could hear the scrambling creak of sanitary paper before stepping in front of the door to stop Hortensia’s retreat. 

“Why are you sleeping during your breaks?” Jennifer asked, slightly taken aback by the dark circles and bags underneath her eyes. She looked exhausted. 

“I’m tired.” Hortensia mumbled. That was an understatement.

“Are you staying up too late? What time are you going to bed? You're not playing your GameBoy when you should be sleeping, are you?” Jennifer asked in rapid succession. Hortensia opened her mouth to argue, estimated it was too much work and finally shook her head. She took a step and stumbled. “Honey, are you feeling okay? You look like you can hardly hold yourself up.” 

“I’m tired.” She mumbled again. “But I can’t sleep.” 

“Why can’t you sleep?” Jennifer asked. Hortensia looked uncomfortable. She gazed over at the boy who was holding an ice bag to his wrist. “You know what, come to my office.” Hortensia hung her head and followed along. “You’re not in trouble.” She threw in. 

“Oh, usually when someone tells me to go to your office…” 

“I just want to talk. Matilda’s at lunch.” Jennifer said motioning for her to sit down and shut the door. “Why aren't you sleeping? What’s going on?” 

“I don’t know. I toss and turn all night.” Hortensia said. “And I can’t stop thinking about that stupid camp!” Hortensia roared, but without steam to power her, it sounded more like a desperate mewl. 

“How long until you go?” 

“Why? Are you counting the days?” Hortensia scoffed. 

“You’re not in trouble now, but keep up that attitude and you will be.” Jennifer said, arms crossed. Hortensia deflated in her seat.

“Five days.” she said softly. “Maybe sooner.” 

Jennifer sighed. She was out of ideas. She had called around asking the city on how to get Hortensia back, but these people had already taken legal custody of her. It wasn’t a matter of bribing the kid to want to stay with her, Hortensia didn’t have a choice. And there was nothing Jennifer could do about it. Unless they were found to be legally unfit, Eve’s wishes won. She had tried to voice concerns of her safety, but they said they had already investigated and found the claims to be unsubstantiated. What it boiled down to was proof. It made her furious, why wouldn’t you err on the side of caution when it came to a child?

She had been keeping an eye on Hortensia from afar, going as far as to ask her teacher to report any odd behavior or visible injury. She seemed to have taken this to heart because she didn’t hesitate to send Hortensia to her office for the slightest infraction.  

“Are you taking your medicine?” The look on her face told her she hadn’t. “It will probably help. It might be the reason you can’t lie still at night.”

“Cynthia took them. I told you.” Hortensia said, but her eyes shifted away.

“Ten’s… I’m serious. You can go through withdrawal sickness if you suddenly stop taking them. How have you been feeling? How’s your stomach been?” 

“Have the shi- the runs a lot.” Hortensia mumbled. “Keeps leaking in my pants.” There was too much information.

“Well, if you happen to find them, you know, lying around, start taking them again and I’ll bet you’ll feel and sleep better.” Hortensia seemed to consider this. 

“I like staying the night in a tent in the backyard though. Cynthia leaves me alone.” Jennifer chuckled. 

“It’s nice of them to let you play in their tent during the summer. That does sound fun. Less bugs than the lake.” 

Hortensia laughed too but it was a different sound. “They don’t let me, they make me. It’s the quarantine tent.” Jennifer’s face paled. Would Cynthia really go that far to avoid germs? I mean, the temperature was fine now, but what about when it snowed? “Oh, I fake sick all the time to stay in it. It’s fun, unless you’re actually sick, then you fake well. Unless it’s like winter or something.” Jennifer let out a breath of air.

“So you’re faking sick to avoid them?”

“At least until last night when I soiled her dining room chair.” Hortensia said before shaking her wrists for added sarcasm. 

“Careful or she might put you in a nappy too.” 

“Nah, just got yelled at and sent outside.” Hortensenia said before scowling. “I didn’t even know I had had to go. I just got up out of my seat and it was all over my pants.” Jennifer wrinkled her nose at the imagery. It was almost like she could smell it. 

“And how are you feeling today? Do you feel sick at all?” Just in case it wasn’t the medicine, she couldn’t risk her passing around another case of the stomach bug to the other students.

“I don’t feel sick, I’m just tired.” Hortensia said. “Not like normal tired. Like tired tired.” Like she was one minute away from falling out of her chair tired. Like she was going to collapse mid conversation tired. She was leaning precariously to the side of her chair. 

“Here,” Jennifer said, suddenly standing up. “Come lie down over here. This is Matilda’s nap spot.” She grabbed the padded mat and laid it on the floor. Matilda wouldn’t have an issue with skipping a lie down anyway. 

Hortensia slowly pushed herself up with great effort and clumsily made her way over and collapsed onto her stomach. Suddenly she giggled. It sounded a bit delirious.

“What?”

“I was in the Chokey around this time last year. Never thought  a year from now the headmistress would be putting me down for a nap in the same spot.” 

“If you have the energy to make jokes, you have the energy to go back to class.” 

Hortensia immediately shut her eyes and went quiet. Jennifer silently laughed. She pulled a drawer open and retrieved a certain stuffed dog before getting up and placing it down next to her. Hortensia’s arms shot out and wrapped the dog in a tight embrace. She had been using it to comfort any crying children who found themselves in her office. 

“I’ll give you an hour, but then you have to go back to class.” Jennifer said. The only thing she heard in response was Hortensia’s snores. She didn’t even wake up when Matilda came barging back in from recess thirty minutes later. 

Matilda wrinkled her face at her desk. “Did you fart?” she asked half giggling. 

“No.” Jennifer chuckled, but sniffed the air. “I don’t smell anything.” She went back to work, but then the smell hit her. “Hey, hey, don’t be trying to pass that off on me. That is all you missy.” She waved a hand in front of her face. 

“It isn’t me!”

“I told you i’d be happy to pack you a lunch too. God, what are they serving you here to eat? No more cafeteria food for you.” 

“Uh, mom, c’mere.” 

“No way, so you can gas me?” 

Matilda shook her head and pointed. Jennifer stood up and looked. She frowned. Hortensia had soiled herself in her sleep. There was a medium sized wet spot on the back of her pants. She bent down and shook her. Hortensia groggily lifted her head and looked at her.

“You need to go to Mrs. Rodgers office. You’ve had an accident.” Jennifer whispered. Hortensia’s eyes widened in panic as she patted her front. It was dry. “Other end, sweetheart. You’re sick. You need to go home.” 

“I’m too tired to walk home.” She grumbled. She felt her backside and froze, her eyes becoming more alive. “Why does this keep happening?” she said softly. “I don’t feel it.” 

“I can’t take you to the doctor, but I can take you to our school nurse, c’mon.” She patted Hortensia’s back and pulled her up. She saw the grossed out look on Matilda’s face. She didn’t want to know. 

“You brought her back.” Carol said, confused. “And what’s that smell?” 

“Can you call her guardians? She’s sick.” Jennifer peeked at the seat of her pants, which were now trailing liquid down the back. Carol came around and looked. Her face scrunched up, not in disgust, but curiosity. She’d leave her to it. She had windows that needed opening in her office. “Feel better, Tens.” 

“Yeah, I’m not laying on that.” Matilda said when she came back to her office. Matilda had already opened the window. She didn’t blame her. Jennifer found a tub of disinfecting wipes and got to work cleaning it. It didn’t look like any had gotten on anything, but just in case. She even flipped it over, but Matilda still refused. She picked the stuffed dog up and put it back in her drawer. 

They hadn’t been playing together enough, Jennifer thought as she looked up from her book at Matilda, who was curled up with a book of her own on the other sofa across from her. Jennifer stuck her hand in the popcorn bowl and pulled out a few pieces. She watched her target carefully, before sending a piece flying and landing on Matilda’s head. Jennifer quickly looked back down at her book, and tried not to laugh. She could see Matilda out of the corner of her eye searching for an explanation. Eventually, when she looked back down, Jennifer sent another piece soaring at her. She repeated the process, until she saw the bowl begin to levitate next to her. It rose high into the air as Jennifer tilted her head up curiously and followed it,  until it upended itself over her head. 

She stared at Matilda, who stared right back.

“Oh, it’s on.” 

They both dove for bits of kernels and began chucking it at each other in an all art war, both of them giggling like mad. At one point Jennifer was on her back, Matilda straddling her waist, hands locked together in front of them as Matilda had ten projectiles hovering in the air above them. With no way to block, one by one they hit her forehead in rapid fire. 

“No, that’s cheating!” Jennifer laughed. 

“It’s not cheating, I’m just using what I got.” Matilda said with a grin. 

The room was a disaster, tiny crushed pieces of popcorn were everywhere and as they both laid together on the floor panting, Jennifer didn’t care in the slightest. 

“Sorry I’ve been so distant lately.” Jennifer said. “I miss this, just the two of us laughing.” 

“That’s what happens when you get a boyfriend.” Matilda said with a sigh before laughing as Jennifer smacked her with a pillow.” 

“You like him.” Jennifer said. 

“He’s not as bad as I first thought.” Matilda relented. Both Hazel and Matilda had been wrestling with him in the backyard the other day. It was the first time she had seen Matilda, not just tolerating, but playing with him. Jennifer nearly had a stroke when she saw him pick her up and dangle her in the air by a leg, but the laughter coming from her had made her pause. 

Now, Jennifer thought, if only they could do something about those ghosts.

• Like 7
  • SashaButters changed the title to Afternoon in the Chokey (Updated 2-8-24)

Wow I had somehow read the chapter about Tens being at Cynthias, but missed the one in all bold that was before that. So I had to go back and read that one, then read the latest one. Thing of it is, it had all still fell into place even missing that chapter, I wasn't scratching my head!

Another fantastic chapter and again one that didn’t make me feel like crying.  Not that it was all roses either.  I am very concerned about Hortensia.  I would really love to see some authority find cause to have her removed from Cynthia’s home. 
I still get a chuckle at how naïve Jennifer is when it comes to adult situations. 
Now we have a new mystery to get to the bottom of.  Who is the artist and why the pictures that are being left? 
I am ready for the next chapter.  You continue to impress with every addition. 

21 hours ago, CDfm said:

Now we have a new mystery to get to the bottom of.  Who is the artist and why the pictures that are being left? 

I believe it's Hortensia that's leaving the pictures. However if it was I'd imagine it would have a darker tone to it due to her mental health. My other guess is the Little girl ghost. I'm assuming that both ghosts are the same person, just one is her adult, mother self and the other is her Little side.

Horthensia situation keeps being concerning both for her mental and physical health and it's not long before she's send away.

The last last part between Jenny and Mathilda is really heartwarming, I like that, we haven't seen that for a long time

Just one more hour, Jennifer thought as she stretched. Who’d have thought being the boss would be so… boring. It was nothing but paperwork, paperwork and more paperwork.

“How’s it going over there, Matilda? You’ve been so quiet today.” Jennifer asked. 

“Hmm?” the girl looked up from her textbook. Jennifer wished she could tune out the world so easily. Everything was so distracting. The window, where she could see the kids outside playing. How she wished she could join them again. To be able to turn off her mind and forget about the world for thirty minutes, where nothing else mattered but the ball in your hand or the jump rope under your feet. “Is Hazel co-” Matilda started to say, but stopped when the ringing phone cut her off.

“Yes, they're coming over tonight.” Jennifer said, butterflies beginning the swarm in her stomach at the thought. She picked up the phone. “Hello? This is Miss Honey.” She frowned. The top form teacher. Now what? 

Hortensia. Disruptive. Again. What a surprise. Jennifer shut her eyes in annoyance. Why couldn’t she deal with her for once? She was leaving in two days. If she wouldn’t stay seated in her chair then make her stand in the corner or something. But before she could even get a word in, Mrs. Pearl was already sending her to Jennifer’s office. Great. 

“Guess who’s coming?” Jennifer said sarcastically after hanging up the phone. Matilda snorted. 

“Maybe she just misses us.” Matilda giggled. “Should I open a window just in case?” Jennifer pressed her fist to her mouth to keep herself from laughing. Carol said she had been sent home for soiling her clothing again yesterday. She sighed when she heard a knock on the door.

“Come in.” Jennifer called out. She put on her best rigid and strict face. A feat which was getting easier with her everyday. She was done playing around. But the face that poked their head around the door wasn’t Hortensia. It was Brian. Jennifer stared at him, eyes wide and grinned. 

“What are you doing here?” Not that she was complaining. She stood up and came around the desk to give him a hug.

“Thought I’d come by a little early.” He held out an iced coffee to her. 

“Thank you!” She gasped, as her eyes widened. 

“Woah, that’s a lot of pictures!” a small voice said from around Brian’s legs. Hazel was staring wide eyed around the room. “We wanted to add our own.” Jennifer beamed. 

“Go on and show her what you drew for her.” Brian coaxed. Hazel handed over the piece of paper. Jennifer looked it over eagerly as Hazel pointed to every stick figure in her family, standing and waving in front of her house. Underneath it had her name and age. 

“And that’s you, Matilda, and Tens next door.” Jennifer’s smile faltered a moment. She did understand Hortensia was not her kid, right?”

“I love it, sweetie, thank you. I’m going to hang it up here with my other favorites.” She taped it up next to the framed oil pastel portraits and giraffe. 

“Woah, who did those?” Brian asked. He came closer and examined them. “Did you buy these? No, wait, that’s Matilda in this one, isn’t it?”

“Someone set them on my desk. I have no idea who. I wish I knew, I’d have them teach art classes.”

“You’d think someone this good would put their name on the bottom.” Brian mused. 

“Where’s Tens?” Hazel asked. 

There was a knock on the door. Jennifer grinned and opened the door. It was time for her first round of punishment. “Hello, Hortensia, please, come in.”

“Ten’s!” Hazel cried excitedly, bear hugging the girl the moment she stepped inside. Hortensia let out an audible “oof”. The older girl looked very uncomfortable. 

“Not so tight!” Jennifer warned. Didn’t want the kid to soil herself again. 

“Hi.” Hortensia managed to get out. She had her backpack dangling from one arm and a pained grimace on her face. 

“Will you come over and play a game with us after school? Please, we’re playing Dungeons and Dragons!” Hazel said.

“Dungeons and Dragons?” A new voice asked. “Oh! The boyfriends here. Jen, you do realize you're dating a nerd, right?” 

“Hi Carol.” Jennifer said. “And yes, he is a nerd.” She was well aware of this fact. She found it endearing. “Did you need something?” 

“Oh, is that iced coffee?” She asked. “It’s so hot.”  Jennifer cradled her cup protectively to her chest. “I’ll settle for the key to the supply cabinet, thanks.” Jennifer tossed her a keyring. 

“Well, I’ll let you get back to work, just wanted to give you our offerings and let you know we’re in the area earlier than expected.” Jennifer smiled and held up her cup. 

“Very much appreciated.” She lowered her voice conspiratorially. “I was really bored with this.” She gestured to her desk. “I can’t concentrate today.” 

“Maybe a quick kiss will help.” He put his lips to hers before pulling away. 

“This is very…” Jennifer grinned before kissing him back. “Very distracting.” she whispered. 

“Will you come?” Hazel pleaded. “Please.”

“You’re welcome to come over, if you want.” Jennifer said.  Hortensia bit her lip. 

“I can’t.” Hortensia mumbled. “I’m grounded.” That’s right. Tens was here for punishment. She had gotten distracted. 

“Have a seat and wait for me. I’ll deal with you soon.” She walked Brian and Hazel out to their car, and told them to go ahead and let themselves in. She headed back to her office with a spring in her step. Fifty more minutes. 

Her head was so full of thoughts of cuddling up with him on the couch that she almost ran head first into a man standing in the hallway. 

“Oh, I’m so sor-” Her voice trailed off. She spun around. Where had he gone? One second he was there, and the next…

“Are you alright, Miss Honey?” one of the prefects asked. 

“Have you seen a man in here? Just now. Tall. Blonde.” 

“No, Miss Honey, I haven’t seen anyone.” 

Jennifer rubbed her eyes. Maybe she was tired. She hoped she had the energy tonight to stay up. Last time he was over she had fallen asleep on his shoulder during the movie and drooled on his shirt. He was still teasing her about it. Maybe that’s why he had brought her coffee. 

“Nevermind, I’m imagining things.” she walked towards her office, an uneasy feeling now in the pit of her stomach. She opened the door and jumped. He was there, standing over Hortensia, staring down at her. 

“Can I hel-” He vanished! She let out an inaudible moan. Another ghost! Why? Hortensia slowly turned in her seat to stare up at her. “Did you see that?” 

“See what?” 

“That man standing behind you! I just saw him out in the hallway, and then just now.” She let out another yelp. There was a transparent woman sitting in her desk chair with her finger to her lips. She heard a faint “shh” in her ear before the woman vanished. 

Boring, yes, she missed her boring day already. 

How nice of her boyfriend to stop by and bring her coffee and the ghost of his dead wife. 

“Don’t go.” Hortensia said softly. Jennifer looked to her and then to her empty desk chair.

“You saw her?” Jennifer asked. Hortensia nodded. 

“That’s Hazel’s mom. I like her.” she said, like it was the most normal thing in the world. “I met her when I was staying there. She visits me sometimes.” Jennifer's mouth hung open. 

“She visits you?” Why were different ghosts attracted to her? Amber and now this man Amber didn’t want her discussing. Not like she was going to take orders from a ghost. “Who’s the man?”

“You Da man!” 

Jennifer let her face fall into her palm. 

“There was another ghost when I walked in standing behind you.”

“There was?” Hortensia looked around the room. 

“Have you seen other ghosts besides her?”

“A couple of kids.” 

“I’ve seen a kid in animal pajamas.”

“Oh, yeah, I’ve seen her too, but she’s not one of them.” 

“Do you know who these children are?” Hortensia slowly nodded her head. “Well?”

“The kids they dug up.” Jennifer felt her stomach flip. “Billy’s one of them.” 

“Billy? I-” Her words failed her. 

“It’s hard to focus in class when four ghosts want to play with you.” Jennifer opened her mouth and then shut it. All the talking and disruptive behavior… She’d be sending her off to a psychiatric consult if she hadn’t herself been haunted by her boyfriend's ex. 

“I haven’t seen them.” Jennifer said. 

“Yeah you have, you tried to get one of them to solve the math problem you put on the board.” Hortensia said. Jennifer couldn’t remember. She had been so focused on showing Mrs. Pearl Hortensia was smart. Very smart. Not Matilda smart, that was a whole nother level of intelligence, but if she could just apply herself, she’d easily get top marks in her grade. 

Jennifer put her head in her hands. This was too much. 

“There’s one right behind you.” Hortensia said. Jennifer spun. “Just kidding.” Oh this kid… Why had she been sent to her again? “ I can’t sit anymore.” Hortensia stood up and leaned against the wall, knocking a few pictures to the floor. Jennifer scowled. Now she remembered. She was refusing to stay seated.

“Sit. Down. Hortensia.” Jennifer growled. The girl frowned and stared at the chair. Finally she shook her head. “Really?” This girl was getting on her nerves. Insinuating circumstances or not.

“It hurts.” she mumbled. 

“What hurts?” 

“My ar-my butt. It burns.” Jennifer pinched the bridge of her nose and looked up at her. She frowned. She could see the grimace of pain on her face as she shuffled in place. Jennifer looked at the clock. Thirty minutes left. 

“Have you talked to Mrs. Rodgers about this?” 

“Why? She only has ice.” 

“Not this year. C’mon, follow me.” Jennifer stood up, “Matilda, we’re going to Carol’s office, I’ll be ba-” She stared at the girl hunched over on her desk, face planted in a book. Jennifer grinned. Don’t need a nap, huh? So that’s why she was so quiet through all this. 

She left her office, Hortensia shuffling along behind her.

“Jennifer, hello, what can I do for you? Ready to share that iced coffee with me?” She was not. 

“I brought you a present.” She nudged Hortensia forward. 

“My butt hurts.” Hortensia moaned. 

“How thoughtful.” Carol said, lips pressed together as she eyed her. 

“Have fun.” Jennifer grinned. 

“Alright, you know the drill.” Carol said. She hitched her thumb back towards the beds. “I guess you can lie down until school lets out.” 

Hortensia shuffled in place. “Do you have anything for it? It really hurts.” Carol frowned. 

“Not really much I can do. Your best bet’s soaking in the bath when you get home.” 

“There’s only a shower.” 

“There isn’t a tub in the house?”

“In their bedroom, but I'm not allowed in there.” 

“Not even if you’re hurting?” Hortensia shook her head. “Does it itch?” She nodded. Carol scratched the back of her head in thought. “Alright, here.” She went to her desk and dug in her purse. “Go in the bathroom and wipe yourself down with this.”

“A wet wipe? That’s all you have?” Hortensia scoffed. 

“It’s medicated, and it's mine.”

“What’s it for?”

“Piles.” 

“What’s that?”

“Hemorrhoids, it’s an older person's problem, nothing for you to worry about. You probably didn’t clean yourself well enough, and that’s why it’s irritated.” 

“Does it cause sores?” 

“Hemorrhoids? Yes, quite painful.”

“I think that’s what I have.” Carol scowled. 

“You’re a little young for that. Have you been constipated?” Hortensia shook her head. 

“I scratched it open and now it hurts!” 

“Rule number one: Keep your fingers out of your arse. I can’t believe I have to tell an eleven-year-old this. Go, go clean it. And wash your hands!” Hortensia glared at her before marching to the bathroom in the office. Carol sat at her desk and made a note of it in Hortensia’s folder. She frowned as she looked through all her past notes. This kid sure had been in her office a lot recently for butt related stuff. First soiling herself, now this. She was positive this had to do with hygiene, but she had said there was a sore. She flipped through the older notes.

Reason for visit: Skinned knee. Given Ice.

Reason for visit: Twisted ankle. Given Ice.

Reason for visit: Crushed fingers. Given Ice.

Reason for visit: Upset stomach. Given Ice.

Reason for visit: Hurt feelings. Given Ice.

Reason for visit: Panic Attack. Given Ice.

Nothing unusual last year, but the year before that was interesting.

Reason for visit: Rage attack. Given Ice.

Reason for visit: Painful urination. Given Ice. 

Reason for visit: Pink Eye. Given ice.

Reason for visit: Rage attack. Given ice. 

Reason for visit: Rage attack, Given Ice.

Reason for visit: Soiled self. Given ice. 

Reason for visit: Pain in rectum. Given ice. 

Why so many rage attacks that year? She went back another year. Her stomach began to sink. She was noticing a pattern. Pain. Rage. Pain. Rage. She could hear a moan coming from the bathroom followed by crying. Shit! She didn’t like what she was seeing. Why hadn’t she noticed this before? 

She got up and knocked on the door. “Everything okay in there?” 

More sobbing followed by a “NO! It hurts!” 

“Come lie down when you can. I need to talk to you.” The bathroom door opened and a tear streaked face emerged. She followed her back to the beds and pulled up a chair. “You were in here for rectal pain two years ago. What caused it?” 

“I don’t know.” Hortensia said.

“You were in my office for five rage attacks that month alone.” And that wasn’t counting all the attacks where they didn’t send her in. “Did something happen?” Hortensia shrugged. “This is important. We need to know.” Hortensia shrugged again. “Damn it, Hortensia! If something happened, you need to tell me!” Carol let out an agitated sigh. The girl had shut down. She went back to the cabinet and pulled out a pair of gloves. “Take off your pants. I want a look at that sore.” 

“I didn’t realize you were a arse doctor.” Hortensia said sarcastically. 

“You want to go to Camp Indoctrination?” Hortensia shook her head. “Then take off your pants, underwear too.” Carol locked the door as the girl got undressed. She bent down and looked. It was irritated, but that’s all. “I don’t see a sore.”

“It’s inside.” Carol wanted a raise. She slipped the gloves on and spread it open. Fuck, that wasn’t a hemorrhoid. That almost looked like a…Her stomach dropped. She ripped off the gloves and collapsed in the chair. She had seen this plenty of times in her career. She felt numb. She stared at the girl before patting her on the back. “Get dressed. You need to go to the clinic.” 

“What? Why?” 

“Because you’re sick.” 

“Cynthia’s never going to take me.”

“I’m taking you.” Hortensia stared at her a moment before sliding her underwear and pants back on. 

“If I’m not home in an hour I'll get in trouble.” Carol couldn’t make any promises, but if her hunch was right she wouldn’t be going back. She prayed she was wrong.

….

“Jenny…”

Him moaning her name was the sexiest thing she had ever heard. She had him pinned down on her bed, stroking him. Jennifer squeezed him harder, as she pulled away from his face and gasped for breath. She let out a soft disbelieving chuckle. She wanted him. It wanted him. Slow down.  There were other things she still hadn’t tried. She reached into her nightstand drawer and felt around. She pulled out the bottle of cream. 

“Give me your finger.” she whispered. She squirted a glob of gel on it. “Put it on me.” He clumsily felt around, until she remembered what Carol had said. She moved his finger in place. Her head fell limply onto his chest. Her hand was on top of his keeping him in place. It was so warm. The difference was like night and day. She let out an involuntary groan. “Yes. Yes. Like that. Right there.” She moaned again. She was vaguely aware he had finished. She tried to resist the urge to wipe it off on him. 

“You’re so vocal tonight. It’s hot.” He whispered. “We’re definitely using that stuff again.” 

The phone was ringing by her head. She ignored it. They could leave a message. She was close. He was rubbing small, tight, circles. The feeling from the other night was coming over her. A moment later there was a knock on the bedroom door. She gritted her teeth. Not now Matilda!

“MOM, MRS. RODGERS IS ON THE PHONE!”

“TELL HER I’LL CALL HER BACK!” Jennifer shouted. She could hear a muffled voice outside her bedroom. 

“SHE SAYS IT’S AN EMERGENCY!” 

Reluctantly, she reached for the phone with her non sticky hand. 

“Hello?” She tried to keep her voice as normal and even tone as possible, but his fingers were still doing their thing. She listened. Hortensia was in the emergency room? She removed his hand from her panties and sat up. “Why? What’s going on?” She had only sent her to Carol’s so she wouldn’t have to deal with her. She didn’t know it was serious.  

“I will explain when you get here.” 

She hung up and jumped out of bed.

“Everything okay?” 

“No, it’s Tens, she’s in the hospital.” She searched the room for her pants as visions of a mangled child splayed out in a hospital bed danced through her mind. Oh, what if she got hit by a car walking home? Or a bus? “I need to go.”

“I’ll drive you.” 

They both threw their clothes back on and hurried down the stairs.

“There you guys are.” Matilda said, sounding annoyed. “We’ve been waiting for you. How long does it take to show him your coin collection?” 

“Sorry, I’m very passionate about coins.” Brian said, a sheepish grin on his face.

“Can we play now?” Hazel asked.

“Sorry, change of plans. Hortensia’s in the hospital. I need to go see if she’s okay.” Jennifer said, grabbing her keys off the counter. She looked up and froze. The ghost man was back, now in her kitchen, gesturing impatiently for her to go. “Please tell me someone else sees him.” 

Everyone looked around before staring blankly at her. She’d take that as a no. They all piled into his van, ghost man included, as Jennifer gave directions. But as they got to the intersection, the ghost began pointing and gesturing to go left. Jennifer frowned. To get to the hospital, they’d have to turn right from here, not left. He continued to point left. The only thing left  of here was the school, but why would he want her to go back there? She didn’t have time for this, but the man seemed desperate. Curiosity won out.

“Go left, to the school. I left something there.” The ghost nodded his approval. If it wasn’t important, she could always grab her stuffed dog. “I’ll be right back.” The ghost also got out and gestured her forward. She followed him to her office. Everyone was gone now and the school was eerily quiet. She put the key in the lock and opened the door. She went to her desk and retrieved the worn stuffed animal. “Is this what you wanted me to get?” 

No. He was pointing down at the floor. She came around to the other side and saw a backpack sitting by a chair. Whose was this? She picked it up and opened it. She recognized that notebook. 

“You wanted me to get her backpack?” Jennifer asked. The ghost nodded and gestured for her to leave. “Why?” He again pointed to the door. Okay, okay.  At least one of them cares about her homework. She piled back into the car with the stuffed dog and backpack and directed him to the hospital. When she got out of the car the ghost had rushed inside ahead. She hurried along after him, feeling like a dog owner getting pulled along by the leash. 

When she got inside she frowned. Carol was waiting for her. Along with a female police officer. She came forward, and before Carol could get a word out, the officer spoke.

“Are you Jennifer?” 

“Yes?” She asked, confused. She looked to the officer then to Carol, who stood quietly with a grim stoic expression on her face. 

“I have some questions I need to ask you regarding Hortensia.” 

“Is she okay? What’s going on? Did she do something? Is she in trouble?” 

“She’s being removed from her current residence pending an ongoing investigation. You have been listed as her emergency contact. Are you prepared to take her in? If not, she will be placed in a group home.”

“Yes. Yes! I’ll take her!” Her heart swelled with happiness. Finally! But… why? “Did something happen?” 

“You were right.” Carol said somberly. Jennifer’s stomach dropped. No! 

“Bruises?” Jennifer asked. That’s what she had been on the lookout for. 

“No, I’m afraid it’s much more serious than that.” She could feel stomach acid rising in her throat. “I found a sore in her anus.” Jennifer grimaced. 

“What? Is it serious? Is it infected or something?”

“Yes, and yes.” Oh, no. She must be really sick. “I brought her here as soon as I saw it. I wanted a second opinion just to be sure it wasn’t a hair follicle or zit she scratched open or something before I raised any alarm bells.”

“Okay?” 

“But the test came back positive.” 

“Positive for what?” Carol averted her gaze. “Positive. For. What?” 

“Syphilis.” 

“I’M GOING TO KILL HIM! I’M GOING TO FUCKING KILL HIM!” Jennifer was straining, fighting, screaming and kicking to get out of Brian’s grasp.  They were in the parking lot. Security had kicked her out. He had her pinned in place with his arms wrapped tightly around her shoulders. The more she thrashed the tighter he held on. 

“You need to calm down!”

“DON’T TELL ME TO CALM DOWN. I’M GOING TO KILL THAT SON OF A BITCH!” 

“You’re going to get yourself arrested!” 

“I’M GOING TO GUT HIM AND FEED HIS ENTRAILS TO THE PIGS!” 

“And who will look after her when everyone she cares about is in jail?” 

“SHE DESERVES TO BE THERE! HOW COULD YOU NOT LISTEN TO YOUR OWN DAUGHTER?” She went limp and began to sob. “H-how could t-they not know? I-It was so obvious!” It had happened to Jennifer just once and it had broken her. Hortensia was…Hortensia just a kid. And how long had this been going on for? 

He had… he had even sodomized her. 

He liked children. 

He liked the vulnerable. 

And what was more vulnerable than a girl with no more family left or an abused teenager asking for help? She flinched. His dead wife was in front of her, hands on Jennifers shoulders smiling sadly at her. 

A cancer patient. 

“Brian.” Jennifer asked softly. “Was your wife assaulted?” She could feel him stiffen against her. His grip laxed around her shoulders so that he was less restraining, more holding her against him. 

“In the parking garage of the hospital.” He said sadly. “She was already so weak from the chemo. She went downhill fast after that.” 

“So that’s why I can see you.” Jennifer whispered. His dead wif- Amber nodded. “And Hortensia.” She let out a yelp and jumped. She was suddenly surrounded by children on all sides. She recognized only one. Billy. He was the one she had called on in class. She looked around and gasped at the realization.

He wasn’t just a child predator. He was a serial killer. 

He was the Buckinghamshire Boy Butcher, named for the four dead boys they dug up in the field. Four boys and one man. Her eyes searched for him, but he wasn’t in the crowd of restless spirits. It was odd, He didn’t fit Aidens MO. He had been so urgent for Hortensia to have her backpack. She still had it gripped in her hand. She should go see her. She hoped they would let her in now that she had calmed down.

Jennifer wiped at her face. 

“You can let go. I’m okay.” He held her tightly for a moment in an affectionate embrace before rubbing at her shoulders.

“You sure?” 

“Yeah, I need to go see her. I think i’ve calmed down enough now that I’ve got it out of my system. ” For now. She stared at the backpack. “She needs this for some reason.” She opened the zipper and reached inside for the dog. She pulled it out and frowned. Something green was all over its paw now. She rubbed at it, but it only smeared. Something…oily. She peeked further inside and pulled out a pack of strange looking crayons.

“Oh, oil pastels, I haven’t used those in forever.” Brian said. Oil pastels? She opened her backpack all the way. She had seen a beige folder when she had shoved the dog in. Like the kind that had been left on her desk. She pulled it out and opened it. There was a note inside along with a painting of a woman sitting in a chair with a book next to a girl in a bed. Jennifer stared in amazement for a solid minute before she looked at the note. 

Dear Jenny,

I’m sorry I broke your car and that I’ve been a pain in the arse all summer, even though you let me stay with you. I wish I would have had you as my teacher. You just make everything make sense.  Mrs. Pearl kept accusing me of cheating on my math tests, until she saw me do that problem you put on the board. Did you see the look on her face? 

I wish I could still live with you instead of moving. You treat me like I matter. Cynthia acts like I’m a plague. The thing that I miss the most is you tucking me in at night and reading. (Don’t you dare tell anyone!) 

Jennifer couldn’t read the rest. Her eyes had begun to blur with fresh tears. She put the envelope back inside her backpack and zipped it up. 

“Would you mind watching Matilda for me? You can go back to my house and start the game. I don’t know how long I’ll be.” 

“Are you sure?” 

“Yeah, I’ll call the house if I need a ride.”  

He wrapped his arms around her shoulders one more time and whispered, “The police will handle this. He will get what’s coming to him in prison. They don’t take too kindly to pedophiles.” 

She walked through the automatic hospital doors and made her way to the front desk. The security guard who had thrown her out stepped in front of her blocking her path. She didn’t have time for this. She held up her hands.

“I’m good now. I’m calm.” She was anything but. He had his arms folded across his chest eying her. “Please, I need to be with her. She’s just a kid.”

“Steve, let her go.” He stared at her for a few more seconds before he backed down. She stepped around him and over to the window where a middle aged woman in scrubs was working. 

“Thank you.” she said softly. “What room is Hortensia…uhh…Smith?” She went by Smith, her mother’s maiden name, but it wasn’t her legal last name. It was her father’s last name, German and hard to pronounce, even harder to spell. “Or Bol, err Bul-”

“I know who you’re looking for, I’ll take you back there.” Thank God for small towns. “If that was my kid i’d be raising hell too.” she said as they walked into the Emergency room. Jennifer stopped as she noticed a familiar face. 

“Matilda better not be hurt again.” The nurse who had looked after her daughter the last few trips playfully said when they met eyes. Jennifer shook her head. 

“I’m here for Hortensia.” The nurse's face fell. “I’m her guardian starting today.” 

“Can you take her for me, Meaghan?” her guide asked. The nurse, Meaghan, nodded before gesturing her off to the side. 

“She’s my patient.”

“Has she said anything? And you know for sure it’s…sexual?”

“Yes,” she said solemnly. “It’s sexual. She tested positive for Syphilis.”

“And is there no other way to get it?”

“It can be passed from mother to child at birth or through breastfeeding…” She saw a ray of hope. “But the signs of physical trauma indicate rough sexual intercourse with an adult male.” Jennifer shut her eyes. Him. “I want you to know we’re taking this very seriously.”

Has she said who?” She must have for them to take her out of Aiden’s house. 

“She was talkative when she was first brought in, but the moment the doctor started explaining what her symptoms were from, she shut down. She hasn’t said a word, not to me, the doctors, or the police.” Jennifer nodded in understanding. 

“I believe it’s her former guardian. She often claimed she hated it there. Her mother told me Hortensia had made allegations against him in the past.” Meaghan’s face crumpled in confusion. 

“If your kid is saying someone is hurting them, you get them away, you don’t make them their godparent.” 

“THANK YOU!”  Jennifer said, clasping her palm to her forehead. “The police have to know about him! He’s a monster!” She watched Meaghan walk to the nurses station and pick up a clipboard and pen.

“What’s this guy’s name?”

“Aiden Redding.”

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • SashaButters changed the title to Afternoon in the Chokey (Updated 2-15-24)
1 hour ago, SashaButters said:

I’M GOING TO GUT HIM AND FEED HIS ENTRAILS TO THE PIGS!

That may cause harm to the pigs... Specially if he has an STD. Better to be buried in a waste disposal bin... however I second her opinion of that filth.

• Like 1

Wow the chapters that didn’t cause me to cry didn’t last very long.  
On one hand I am very happy to see Hortensia back with Matilda and Jennifer.  The cost to get there was incredibly high though. 
I know I should know who Aiden Redding is but I am drawing a blank right now.  
This was an amazing chapter and I am so ready for the next chapter. 

• Like 1

Now I really feel foolish.  I should have known that.  Names are my kryptonite.  I can’t remember a name for the life of me but I never forget a face. 

• Haha 1

I was wondering how the ghosts played into all this. 

You have yet again woven a very intricate tale. One of the darkest in a while (probably since your last if I'm being honest) but man is it a wild ride. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Allman90 said:

I was wondering how the ghosts played into all this. 

You have yet again woven a very intricate tale. One of the darkest in a while (probably since your last if I'm being honest) but man is it a wild ride. 

I was afraid of it getting pulled after all the work I’ve put into it cause it’s a sketchy topic, but it’s been kind of obvious it was going in this direction for a while

Hey there.

Just with this chapter I think my emotions had their share of roller coaster for a while ... amusement parks won't see me for a long time.

So much progress in the plot too.

Can I try and guess that we now know where Hortensia's father is ? 

And may I start to brag about my previous guess for Jenny's molester or is it too soon ? (I really shouldn't it was 1/2 chance)

I haven't been this eager to know what's next in this story before.

Thank you for your amazing work again.

Cheers!

• Like 1

Yeah I was thinking something like this was coming, but that didn't make it any less brutal when it finally arrives. Its interesting how this fic jumps back and forth between WAF and pitch black human darkness and still works, I'm looking forward to seeing more. 

Jennifer felt her heart splinter when she saw her. Hortensia was lying on her side in the fetal position, blanket up over her head to shut out the world. Jennifer pulled up a chair by the bed and sat. She reached a hand toward the lump and froze. Jennifer wanted to hold her, and comfort her, and cry with her, and tell her everything would be alright. Instead, she let her hand fall back down in her lap. If she touched her, Hortensia would panic. 

“How did you know?” a voice behind her asked. Carol was sitting in a chair in the corner. Jennifer hadn’t even noticed her. “You told me she never said she was being abused, but you still knew.”

It was in the way she flinched when she was touched. Jumped when her name was called. The rages, the bedwetting. There were so many red flags. 

“There were signs.” 

The lump on the bed rolled over and stared at her. Jennifer tried to study her face, but it gave no hint to how she was feeling. She just looked tired.

“Don’t ask me anything.” Hortensia demanded. Jennifer bit her lip. She had so many questions, but she nodded and remained quiet.

“There’s been a lot of people in and out.” Carol explained in a low voice. “Want to take a walk?”

“In a little bit.” Jennifer said. She wanted to sit with Hortensia for a while. She dug in her backpack and pulled out her stuffed dog. “I brought you someone.” Her wall fell for just a second and Jennifer could see the vulnerability and fear in her eyes before her face went rigid and emotionless again. Still, Hortensia accepted the dog and brought it under the covers with her. 

“I do have one question for you.” Jennifer said softly.

“No.” Hortensia said flatly. 

“Were you the one who made me those pictures hanging in my office?” She knew she had. She had seen the evidence in her backpack, but she wanted to hear it from her. Slowly, Hortensia nodded.

“Do you like them?”

“I love them.” Jennifer said. “I had no idea you were so talented.” Hortensia shrugged before gesturing to her backpack. Jennifer handed it over. She watched as Hortensia dug through it and produced two envelopes. She handed one to Jennifer and kept the other in her lap. Jennifer opened it to the picture she had seen before. She re-read the note in its entirety. She let out a sound between a half laugh and half sob. She had signed the note Hor-paininthearse-sia. 

“You are not a pain in the arse.” Jennifer said firmly. “You are a wonderful girl who has been through something no one should go through, especially not as a child.” Hortensia didn’t look convinced. “You’re coming home with me. You’re not going back. You’re not moving away. You’re not going to that camp.” She wasn’t even sure there was a camp anymore.  “You’re safe.” 

“I don’t want to talk about it.” 

Jennifer was about to ask if she could hug her, but Meaghan had strolled in rolling a cart with something that looked awfully familiar. 

“It’s time. Are you ready?” Hortensia stared at the contents of the cart and sank further into a ball. 

“Why?” Jennifer asked. 

“Doctor has ordered an anoscopy.” Meaghan spoke low so only Jennifer could hear. She must have seen the confusion on her face. “It’s a test so he can get a better picture of what’s going on inside, but we need her to empty her bladder and bowels first. This is standard prep.” 

“I already went.” Hortensia grumbled. “Remember?” She gestured to the bed. Jennifer didn’t want to know. Why did kids have super hearing only when you didn’t want them to? 

“We need you completely empty, so we’re going to give you a little something to help speed up the process.” 

“Am I going to have to drink something nasty?” Hortensia asked. Jennifer stared at the bag of fluid and tubes sitting on the cart with an uneasy feeling. 

“You won’t taste a thing.” Meaghan said with a sympathetic smile. “I promise.” 

“Ready for that walk?” Carol asked. Jennifer looked from Hortensia to Meaghan.

“Coffee isn’t half bad in the cafeteria.” Meaghan offered. Jennifer went to Hortensia’s bed side.

“Do you want me to stay or go, honey?” 

Hortensia’s eyes were darting around the room looking from face to face for answers. Jennifer could tell she sensed something unpleasant was about to happen. 

Someone else came in pushing a commode and left. Hortensia’s face soured.

“In here? In front of everyone?”

“Only who you want.” Meaghan said.

“Nobody!” 

“You’re very brave.” Jennifer squeezed her hand and stood. 

“Why am I brave for taking a shit in a bucket?” She saw the tubes. Jennifer could see the gears spinning in her head. “They're going to do what they did to Matilda!” Her face filled with panic. “No! No!” She was scrambling to get away. The facade was gone. “Don’t let them! No! DON’T TOUCH ME!” She was trying to get out of bed.

“I NEED ASSISTANCE IN BED SIX!” 

“It’s okay. It’s okay.” Jennifer was trying to keep her from bolting. She was hooked up to the I.V. line. She was going to rip it out if she tried to make a run for it.

“It’ll only be uncomfortable for a minute.” Meaghan said. She was flanked now by two orderlies. 

“Tens, it’ll be over soon. They’ll do their test, and then we can go home and you can soak in the tub.”

“It has to happen, kiddo, this is important. Now we can do this the easy way or the hard way like the Iv.” 

Jennifer didn’t want to imagine what it took to put an Iv in her. But Hortensia wasn’t listening, she was thrashing against the orderlies who were pinning her down on the bed and sobbing. Jennifer stood horrified. 

“Isn’t there another way? Can’t she drink something, or wait for it to come out on its own?” Jennifer asked. 

“No, sorry, we need to get this done as soon as possible for the investigation.” Meaghan explained as she hung the bag of saline on the Iv pole. “It’s only going to hurt if you fight. You need to relax.” One of the orderlies had rolled her onto her side where Jennifer could see a soiled hospital gown and pad. “If you want any kind of privacy, you’re going to have to stop fighting, or this is going to happen in front of a whole room of people holding you down.” 

Jennifer bent and picked up the dog that had rolled onto the floor. 

“Hold your dog and it’ll be over soon.” Jennifer whispered. She sat in the chair. She knew she’d regret staying, but she couldn’t get herself to leave. She reached out and grabbed one of Hortensia’s hands. “Or squeeze my hand.” Hortensia was still sobbing, but at least she had stopped thrashing. She felt a hand squeeze hers. Jennifer nodded to Meaghan. 

“Do the men need to stay and hold you down?” With a sob Hortensia shook her head. 

“That’s a brave girl. It’ll be okay.” Jennifer whispered. “Do you want me to leave or stay?” Hortensia let out an unintelligible sound. 

“I’ll be in the cafeteria.” Carol said. “Are you going to stay with her?” 

“Don’t go.” Hortensia said in a pitiful small voice. 

“Do you want me to stay?” Hortensia nodded and wiped her face. 

“Let’s move these papers out of the way.” Meaghan said. She reached for the folder but Hortensia snatched it before she could grab it. 

“Do you want me to put them in your backpack?” Jennifer asked. Hortensia nodded. Jennifer took them. She was about to slide them in when she froze. The ghost man was standing in the doorway pointing at the folder in her hands. This is what he had wanted her to get. 

“I’m going to start.” Meaghan said. Hortensia let out a nervous whine. 

“It’ll be okay.” Jennifer said, squeezing her hand and slipping the folder into the pack at her feet. She could look at it later. Meaghan handed her a green bag. Jennifer took it. Her eyebrows creased in confusion as she looked it over. 

“I remember you from last time. You looked a little green.”  Jennifer forced a smile.

“I’m not going to throw up.” 

“She’s not going to make it to the commode. Don’t watch this.” Meaghan whispered before placing another pad on the bed. “I’m going to clean you up a tad. This might be a little cold.” She said, turning her attention back to Hortensia. 

“A LITTLE?” Hortensia shouted, nearly jumping. 

“Try and stay as still as possible for me. I’m going to put it in on the count of ten, alright? One-” Jennifer was aware of two things. Hortensia’s screams of pain and the bones in her hands being crushed. “I know it hurts, and I’m sorry…”

“TAKE IT OUT! TAKE IT OUT!”

“I can’t; I’m sorry. It’ll be over soon, just try and bear with it, just a little longer.” 

“IT HURTS! IT HURTS!” 

“You’re hurting her!” Jennifer said, horrified, It wasn’t like this for Matilda! What was happening? “Is this because of the sore?” 

“The doctor will tell you more when he takes a look.” Jennifer stared at the bag, willing it to drain faster. She had never heard a child scream like this. Her body broke out in a sweat, her slippery hands nearly sliding out of the girl's crushing grasp. Go faster. Go faster.  “Whatever you do, don’t look over here. Stay in your seat as you are.” 

“What’s going on?” Jennifer asked. Was something wrong? Was she going to be okay? Then the smell hit her. She began to cough. She could taste bile. Jennifer tried to take slow deep breaths, but began to gag. 

“Make sure it gets in the bag.” Meaghan said without looking up. 

“I’m fine.” Jennifer choked out before dry retching. She could do this. She could do this. The girl screaming and sobbing was enduring far worse. She should be concerned, not grossed out. 

“We’re all done. You did it. I’m going to pull it out.” She could see Hortensia’s body visibly deflate. There was indeed no hope of making it. Matilda had been different. Why wasn’t she making her hold it and watching the clock? “There you go. I bet that feels better now.” 

“I can’t. I can’t move.” Hortensia cried. 

“It’s alright hun, I knew this was going to be messy going in. Go on, let it out there. We’ll get you cleaned up in a bit and then I’ll get you something for the pain.” 

“Pain first! Pain first!” Hortensia begged. 

“I’ll get you situated, don’t worry. You finish up and I’ll put in the order, but I can’t inject it into your Iv until everything’s sterile again. Meaghan exited out the curtain as she heard another patient complain about the smell. 

“You did it. You’re done. It’s all over.” Jennifer said softly to the crying girl on the bed. She lightly brushed her thumb over her hand. 

“It-it hu-hurts so ba-ad.” 

“She’s getting you something. You’ll feel better soon. You might even be able to sleep for a few minutes.” It was getting late. She wondered if Matilda was in bed, or if she was trying to stay up waiting for them. She pictured her asleep alongside Hazel, oblivious to the evils of the world. She could feel her eyes burning with tears. “I’m so sorry, Tens. I’m so sorry this happened to you.” 

“D-did Ma-Matilda cry t-t-too?” Hortensia asked. 

“Yes, she did.” Jennifer said with a sniffle. “She couldn’t hold it either.” It certainly wasn’t to this extent. “I’m surprised they didn’t have you on a bedpan like they did her.”

“Hurt too much.” Hortensia said letting out a shaky breath. 

“What is it that hurts?” 

“My arse!”

“I know that, but where? Is it the outside, inside? The opening?” 

“I don’t know, it just hurts! Stop asking me questions!” 

“Alright, I’m back. Are you all emptied out?” Meaghan asked, coming up behind Jennifer. Hortensia nodded. “Have you peed? I don’t see any pee.” Hortensia shook her head. “I need you to pee as well.” 

“On myself?” 

“Hun, we aren’t saving any of this. I mean, if you really want to go in the commode, but at this point, let’s just contain the mess to one place.” 

“I’m not looking.” Jennifer said. She could see Meaghan digging through drawers for supplies as she flexed her now free hand. “You’ve got quite the grip.” 

“Have you peed yet?” Meaghan asked, slipping on fresh gloves before setting down a package of wipes, a fresh gown and more pads on the counter. 

“I-it’ll g-g-get on and h-hurt more.” Hortensia cried. 

“I can fix that. Lift up your top leg.” Meaghan slid a folded pad in between her legs. “There, no problems now?” Hortensia shook her head. “Good, there you go. All done? Can I take it out?” Hortensia nodded. “If you want to go to the cafeteria and get some coffee now you can while I get her situated. The doctor should be here in about thirty minutes. We won’t start the test without a guardian present.”

Jennifer bit her lip and stared at the tear streaked girl’s face. Her stomach was roiling from the smell, and the thought of fresh air was tempting…but no. She wouldn’t leave. 

“I’ll wait with her.” Meaghan nodded and began filling a pink tub with water. 

“Alright, Hortensia, I’m going to get this gown off you.” Hortensia curled herself back into a ball, now naked and shivering. 

“Are you cold, honey?” Jennifer asked. The girl nodded with a sniffle. “She’ll be done in a few minutes, and then you can have a fresh blan-” her words trailed off as she saw her old gown. Meaghan had quickly bunched it into a ball, but not fast enough. It wasn’t just brown, but  bright red. Jennifer jumped to her feet. 

“No, don’t loo-” 

Something foul was burning her nostrils. She let out a soft moan and opened her eyes. Her head was pounding under the bright fluorescent lights. Someone she didn’t recognize was waving something small and white under her nose. She turned her head to get away from the acrid smell. 

“She’s coming around.” they announced. 

“Told you not to look.” Meaghan said, coming into view before bending down and helping her into a chair. “How’s your head? You hit the ground hard.” 

“I’m fine.” Jennifer mumbled. “I just wasn’t expecting…so much blood.” Meaghan put a finger to her lips. 

“Don’t scare her more than she already is.” She whispered. “That’s the thing with injuries in and around the anus. The skin is very thin, tears easily, and bleeds like the dickens. That’s why it’s so easy to get an STD. I would have kicked you out had I known you were this squeamish.” 

“I’m fine.” Jennifer grumbled. She stared at Hortensia, who was already now clean, and wrapped in a blanket. “How long was I out?” 

“Only a couple minutes.”

“You work fast.” 

“Not as fast as a dose of Hydromorphone.” Meaghan gestured to the bed. 

“She’s asleep?” Jennifer asked, surprised. Good. She frowned for a moment in thought. Her chair by Hortensia’s bedside was now occupied by the dead man. He looked so… sad. She didn’t know ghosts had any feelings, but his body posture alone seemed to prove otherwise. Jennifer pulled up her chair beside him and studied the two of them. What was his connection to her? Why did all the ghosts seem to stick to her in particular? Was it because she was closer in age to most of them? She had said they had wanted her to play with them. 

“Who are you?” Jennifer whispered. His victims were the sick and vulnerable, but he looked neither, apart from being dead. Was he gay? Did he get murdered after a one night stand? Aiden clearly had a preference for boys. 

Hortensia’s eyes slowly fluttered open. 

“Hi, sweetheart, are you feeling any better?” Jennifer asked, but her eyes weren’t focused on her. 

“Daddy?” Hortensia whispered. 

Jennifer felt her heart sink. Daddy. Her vision was beginning to blur with tears. She grabbed Hortensia’s backpack and stood. 

“Honey, I’ll…I’ll be back.” 

Tears began to freely fall as she stood in the elevator and put her head against the wall. So that’s what happened to Hortensia’s dad. That’s where he’s been all this time. Dead. And less than a hundred feet from where his daughter played. How could life be so cruel to one person? A child no less.  

She found Carol sitting alone with a to-go cup of tea at a table. She flopped down in the chair across from her and put her head in her hands. 

“Why?” Jennifer asked, wiping her eyes with her wrist. “Why did this have to happen to her?” 

“Sometimes the monsters in this world aren't the shadows in our closets, or underneath our beds. The monsters are the people hiding in plain sight. Our neighbors, or our own family members…you know this.” 

“I know.” Jennifer sniffled. She felt Carol rub her back. 

“Hortensia has always been, and most likely will always be, a very troubled girl.” Carol said. “Are you sure you want to do this?” Jennifer looked up at her horrified.

“Of course I want to do this! How could you ask me that?” 

“This isn’t going to be like taking in Matilda, and you have to consider her safety as well.” Carol said. “You can’t think of her as a project either. You can’t fix this. She will most likely carry this for the rest of her life.”

“She’s not a project! She’s a person! A child! A deeply wounded child.” Jennifer said before sighing. “She reminds me of Agatha. She was also the victim of incest. She’d get drunk and tell me all about it. I often wonder, would she still be the vile monster she was if someone had stepped in and showed her even an ounce of kindness?” 

“Nature vs. nurture.” Carol said. “Sometimes monsters are made, others are born evil.” 

“I’m not going to let her be consumed by hate.”

“That’s up to her, not you.” Carol said. “The police were asking me questions about Brian.” Jennifer looked up from rummaging in Hortensia’s backpack. 

“Why?”

“Eve’s pointing the finger at him.” 

“WHAT?” 

“He is on their radar, so don’t be surprised if he tells you the police dragged him in for interrogation.” 

“But..but…no! He would never! How could she think that?” 

“You did leave her daughter in the care of a man she didn’t know.” 

“But-”

“I don’t think it’s him, relax. A test for Syphilis will rule him out. He doesn’t have any sores on his penis, does he?” Jennifer adamantly shook her head. Carol nodded. “I think this is something that’s been going on for a while. I won’t be surprised if they find old wounds that have already healed.” 

“Her dad’s not in prison. He’s dead.” 

“She told you that?” 

“It’s his bones they dug up.” Jennifer shook her head. “I think Aiden killed him and has been the one pretending to be him to manipulate her.”

“Obey Aiden. Listen to Aiden. Do as you're told. I thought there was something off about those cards.” 

“What if Cynthia put the letter in Eve’s safe to frame her? She was alone with the kids in Eve’s house when Matilda was injured.” 

She began dumping the contents of the backpack into the table. She found the folder she was searching for and pulled it out of the cluttered mess. It was much thicker than the one with the single picture. She opened the folder and then shut it immediately. She stared at Carol wide eyed. 

“It’s him. The tall man.” She couldn’t look at him. Carol took the envelope from her and opened it. She flipped through the pages with a stoic look on her face before setting it down. 

“And that’s who assaulted you?” Jennifer nodded. “He’s massive.” 

“What was in the folder?” 

“Nothing you want to see.” Carol stood up with the folder in her hand. “There’s the cop who was asking me about your boyfriend. I’m going to give it to him. They need this.”

“There you go. You’re almost inside.” Jennifer whispered. She had her arm looped around Hortensia’s for support as she slowly waddled up the walk. “We’ll get you upstairs, and then you can soak in the tub before bed. You can use the one in my room, it’s bigger.” 

She pushed her front door open and tiptoed inside. Nothing but the glow of the television illuminated the house. Jennifer would have smiled if she didn’t feel so numb. The girls were sacked out together on the couch and Brian was asleep in the arm chair. 

She led Hortensia upstairs, wincing with every step as Hortensia did. She started the bath and added a cup of epson salt to the bottom. Next she helped her get out of her clothes and out of the diaper, wincing as she saw more blood. She balled it up before Hortensia could see and threw it in the trash. 

“There you go. How’s the water?” Jennifer asked as she helped ease her into a sitting position. Hortensia shrugged and stared straight ahead. “How’s your pain?”

“It hurts.” She mumbled. 

“I’ll give you a pill after your bath.” Jennifer said, kneeling by the tub. “It’s going to be okay.” she whispered before kissing the side of her head. “I’m going to help you get through this. You’re not alone.” 

“Do you understand what’s going on?” Jennifer asked as she lathered up a washcloth. “Why you had to go through all this tonight?”

“I’m sick.” Hortensia said softly. 

“And do you understand how you got sick?” Hortensia nodded. “This isn’t your fault, sweetheart. I want you to know that. You did nothing wrong.” Hortensia hung her head and began to sob. Jennifer’s throat ached with emotion. “No matter what he told you. You did nothing wrong. You didn’t deserve what happened to you.”

“I-I- I don-don’t w-want-t-to- talk a-about it.” 

“I understand, sweetheart, I do.” She quietly washed her hair before pulling the plug on the bath. “But if you ever need someone to talk to, I’ll always be here for you.” 

She offered her a hand up and helped her out of the bath. 

“Where do you want to sleep tonight?” She asked as she toweled Hortensia’s hair dry. The girl remained quiet. “Would you like to stay with me tonight?” She slowly nodded her head. Jennifer led her to the bed and laid the towel down. “Go on and lay down. Whichever is most comfortable for you.” She dug for the supplies they had sent her home with. 

It was as Carol said. This was not a one time thing. They had found evidence, both vaginal and rectal, for current and past abuse. It was a miracle they didn’t find more permanent damage. It was going to take at least two months to heal physically. Emotionally was an entirely different story.

She rubbed the medications and ointments on before sealing up the diaper. The both of them were going to have to get used to this routine. Her sphincter would take time to heal and strengthen. A wave of guilt crashed over her for her teasing. Hortensia had, in her own way, been calling out for help all this time. The list of injuries were extensive. Fissures, tears, scars, sprains, lacerations, the list went on. No wonder she couldn't stay seated. 

She handed her a shirt from out of her closet to wear and tucked her in. 

“I’ll be right back. I’m going to go talk to Brian and let him know we’re back.” She turned to go, but stopped. She had to make sure. “Was it him? Brian?” Hortensia shook her head. She breathed a sigh of relief and made her way downstairs. 

“We’re back.” She whispered in his ear. He jumped awake. “You’re welcome to stay on the couch. It’s already three.” He rubbed his eyes and looked around.

“How is she?” Jennifer shook her head.

“It’s bad. I’m surprised they released her. They gave her a shot of penicillin. Lots of very invasive tests, questions, and procedures. She’s a mess.” 

“How are you?”

“Also a mess.” She answered honestly. Tears had begun to slide down her face.  He stood up and gave her a long, tight hug. She needed that. “How could someone do that to her?” She quietly cried into his shoulder. 

“Did she say what happened?” Jennifer shook her head. 

“She shuts down every time someone asks, but she had these drawings. I couldn’t get myself to look at them. Carol said I didn’t want to see them.” She clung onto Brian for a few more minutes before letting go. “I need to go give her pain medicine and go to bed. She’s sleeping in my room with me, so don’t come in.” 

She bent down and kissed Matilda’s head. The little girl stirred, but remained sleeping. 

“Goodnight.” She whispered and waved before heading back up the stairs. She got a cup of water from the bathroom and a pill before handing them over. “Did you get it down? It’s big.” Hortensia nodded and handed her the cup back. “Good girl.” She set it down on the nightstand next to her and climbed into bed before rolling over to face her. 

“I don’t know what the right thing to do in this situation is.” Jennifer said softly. Hortensia opened her eyes and stared at her. “I know what I want to do. I want to hold you, comfort you, and cry with you, but that might not be what you want. So I’m not going to touch you unless necessary. Everyone deals with this differently. But if you ever want or need to cuddle, or need a hug, or just need some affection. Come to me. Come climb in my lap while I’m in the recliner, put your head in my lap when I’m on the couch. And if you need space while you process all this, I’ll give you your space. Whatever you need Tens, don’t be afraid to ask.” 

“Will you read to me?” Hortensia asked softly.

“Of course.” She reached for the book she had been reading on her nightstand and froze. Err, maybe not that one. She got up and went to Matilda’s room and pulled The Wonderful Wizard of Oz off the shelf. She slid back into bed and began reading until she could hear Hortensia’s deep even breaths beside her. Jennifer tore a piece of paper off a notepad and stuck it between the pages before turning off the light and shutting her eyes. 

“Goodnight, Tens,” Jennifer whispered. “I love you.”

• Like 8
  • SashaButters changed the title to Afternoon in the Chokey (Updated 2-16-24)

Wow...okay.

You gave us some dark chapters before but this one is brutal in more than one way.

Your writing convey all the emotions of the different characters and the challenges of the situation awesomely. 

Hopefully with all in the open things could slowly start to go better ? (Slowly being a key word here)

Anyway thousand thanks again.

Cheers !

• Thanks 1
  • SashaButters changed the title to Afternoon in the Chokey (Updated 4-17-24)