LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Motorcycle?

I am thinking of getting a Kawasaki Ninja 500R. Anyone have any advice about sport bikes? I am fairly new to the whole idea and don't know how good this bike is despite the 5 star ratings. Even though it's cheap at 5,000 bucks (compared to other vehicles) I would rather know some key details before going through the annoying motorcycle license process.

Any imput from people who actually ride?

befor you even buy a motorcycle take a mrf riding corse. mrf = motorcycle riders foundation. a Kawasaki Ninja 500R, has to much power for a new rider. check out the links. take the corse. you will learn how to ride. i have seen way to many first time riders dead.

to let you know how much i have rode motorcycles. I bought a new one asked the dealer what time thay open. at 500 miles is your first oil change. he told me and i made a appment for one hour after thay opend. I was there for my oil change. that was a short ride. when i sold the bike, the state would not take the milage. thay said it was to high for a 3 year old motorcycle. for two of the years i did not have a car, rode it in the winter to work. when you show up at work when its 10f out side thay know your a biker.

http://www.mrf.org http://www.msf-usa.org

http://www.abatemn.org http://www.abate-il.org/MROlinks/links.htm http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/abateofminnesota/

http://www.thegsresources.com/

if you wont to ride get a good used bike no bigger than a 350 don't waste money on a new one as you probably will drop it a few times once you have learned to ride than buy a new bike.

have to add my 2 cents considering i've owned 3 sportbikes and have spent a good chunk of my life with a gas tank between my legs.

first off, buy a used bike. secondly...there is nothing wrong with you buying a 600. a 350 will do nothing but bore you to tears. if you have friends to ride, this would be the time to get their help. take it extremely slow when learning. if you live in a neighbor hood, just practice the basics over and over (breaking with the front...while taking it easy on the back, making slow but yet make-able turns, and shifts.) the point is to get as comfortable as possible before hitting an actual road. take your time, and ride within your limits. showing off will probably trash your bike, and get you hurt. i ride suzuki's, and have ridden 600 to busa. a 500r, is not too much machine. a 600 is not too much machine.

keep me updated with what you find, and what you go with. i'd stay away from anything new, or you'll lose some money replacing fairings.

have to add my 2 cents considering i've owned 3 sportbikes and have spent a good chunk of my life with a gas tank between my legs.

first off, buy a used bike. secondly...there is nothing wrong with you buying a 600. a 350 will do nothing but bore you to tears. if you have friends to ride, this would be the time to get their help. take it extremely slow when learning. if you live in a neighbor hood, just practice the basics over and over (breaking with the front...while taking it easy on the back, making slow but yet make-able turns, and shifts.) the point is to get as comfortable as possible before hitting an actual road. take your time, and ride within your limits. showing off will probably trash your bike, and get you hurt. i ride suzuki's, and have ridden 600 to busa. a 500r, is not too much machine. a 600 is not too much machine.

keep me updated with what you find, and what you go with. i'd stay away from anything new, or you'll lose some money replacing fairings.

I have to agree with this post above.. but just adding that while a 600 may be alittle powerful for a first timer at the onset, you can have it detuned somewhat at the dealer, till you feel comfortable. I couldn't even imagine anything smaller than a 500 once you have ridden for a couple of months you'll get the just of what we are saying. Nothing worse than having your but dusted by your riding buddies. ;) In our state you can take the class mentioned for three weekends and it counts as your test for your license so that's a plus.

I know I will catch heck for this but by all means, if your state doesn't require it (ours does for first year) Please wear a helmet. It may seem uncool, but till you get your skills honed, and learn how to react on your bike to the "idiot" four wheelers that don't notice you. It will probably be a good idea, and this comes from a guy who rides a Harley! Still working on that Harley post above :angel_not:

I am thinking of getting a Kawasaki Ninja 500R. Anyone have any advice about sport bikes? I am fairly new to the whole idea and don't know how good this bike is despite the 5 star ratings. Even though it's cheap at 5,000 bucks (compared to other vehicles) I would rather know some key details before going through the annoying motorcycle license process.

Any imput from people who actually ride?

think kaw ,makes a smaller sport bike or just start with a reg bike for a few years before making the switch to a sport bike

they are not as forgiving as a reg bikes is

stay with one that has carbs and is not fuel injected they can be a pain to learn to ride on it the sport bike class.

what ever you buy also get the riding clothes and a high end hemelt

make start with a sport touring type bike first it is a good cross between street bike and sport bike.

i have been riding many years and rode many types of bikes and still own a few and ride at times the biggest problem is new bikes make a lot of power and are light weigh not really for new riders

stay away from the pressure to buy a bigger bike

there are only two type of riders those that have been down and those that will be going down

take a riding class of any bike special for a sport bike

:biker_h4h: ducati rules :biker_h4h:

Good advice all, especially the part about buying a used one first. The monetary aspect is largely due to costs and replacements. Think insurance as well. The younger you are, the higher it will be. Sport bikes, no experience and a financed bike equals lots and lots of insurance money.

I'll echo the helmet statement as well. If you have a $50 head, by all means by a cheap helmet. It is just another form of insurance.

Thanks for all the advice guys, really goes to show how many things a dealer won't tell you!

To the helmet statement, I agree 100%. It may look silly but the dead guy splattered on the raod looks even more silly...

I am going to do some more research and not rush into a decision.

Thanks, Khoraz.

Sounds great gremlin.

Any idea for a good first timer sport bike? Not into the whole Harley thing (sorry =P)

One of the girls in my riding group just upgraded from a Ninja 250.

Less horsepower then a 500cc Ninja, but a 250 Ninja would be perfect if you're looking for a beginner sport bike. If you take the MSF course (and I highly recommend it) you'll find that they also use 250 bikes so it won't be that foreign to you.

and definitely buy your first bike used.

i want to scare the poop out of you. a 250 will go fast as most as fast as a 350 750 or a 600cc. it will also kill you.

a few years back we put a kid 6 ft under he was on a 250. he was doing 60 to 80, with full gear on when he hit a 4 wheeler head on. thay were doing some trick riding. he was heading back when his buddy poped up over the hill. full riding gear did not help when thay hit head on. his chest exploded in to his hart. when he hit part of the 4 wheeler or his bike.

get a nice used 250 or 300 till you feel you can handle a biger bike. depending on ware your riding it may be enuff motor cycle. dont let any one talk you in to a biger bike. years ago all the biker gangs did there work on bikes that were around 200cc. riding all over the states.

if your just going to ride in town a 600 cc or biger is a waste. I rode a suzy 1000cc just a quick hop in town was a killer on the bike. by the time the bike got up to a good operation temp i was at ware i needed to be. heck for fun i would do a lap around the park to add a mile or two. if i did not do that the battery did not have time to charge. the biger bikes are made for hitting the road and heading a few hundred miles. unless you have at lest a 10 mile or longer ride to work a big bike will cost you more in up keep and fuel.

you should check in to picking a bike up from the ground you will be doing that a lot till you learn. I shock every one on how i can pick up a 1000cc bike on its side. i am only 140 lbs. the only time i would use the side stand is when I needed to get in a store and back on the road in a rush. try putting the bike you want to buy on its center stand. mind you i have had guys that were over 6ft tall and around 300 lbs that could not put my bike on its center stand. thay all said it was to heavey.

next is how much do you want to spend on parts. your going to need to keep that bike running. try to stay away from plastic outer caseings. it tuperware. on a learner bike its muder to keep up. scratches and dings, busted panles will keep your cash flow low. what you need for the first year and to learn on is just a plan old street bike. nothing fancy all that gliter will just get beat up. then if you deside you dont like riding hahah. your not out a lot of cash.

Really good advice here. I want to chuck in my .02 real quick. Don't pass up on looking at dual sport bikes such as the Kawasaki KLR 650, the Suzuki DR650, or even the Suzuki DL 650 V-Strom. These bikes are great for plunking around town or taking a run down a nice country road somewhere. I have ridden for a lot of years now and I will never buy a regular street bike again. Dual sport all the way baby!

I have a 2003 Ninja 500 and love it. (2003 was the same year I went for my motorcycle licence.) It's a great little bike that I use for geting to work in the summer. (And actually today was the first day I had it out for the season...should have seen the smile on my face!) :) For a starter bike it's great....I have to say I wouldn't start with anything smaller...as one of the posts above said....within months you're gonna want to upgrade.

Some Cons on the Ninja 500: well can only think of one...where you secure your helmet when you have your bike parked is retarted...the locks are too far under the seat, and plus it makes your helmet hang right on the exhaust pipe potentially melting your helmet..no good. It's not a big con, (though the first year I was so sick of hauling my helmet where ever I went once I parked the bike, I ended up getting a secure carrier for the back of my bike.) Plus one other con I found....if you thinking of going for long rides....well after about 2 hours...you're gonna be pretty sore from leaning over the tank...but I think that's standard on the crotch rockets.

Lastly as many above have been saying....TAKE THE MOTORCYCLE COURSE, the infomation you learn on it could save your life, plus always wear the helmet.

LitlAndy

post-7878-1175480410_thumb.jpg

post-7878-1175480410_thumb.jpg