LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Question about a urology clinic first vist

I apologize if this has been asked before.  I have been dealing with legitimate bladder control issue for about three months now.  My first doctor’s nurse just simply prescribed diapers until I could get to see the regular doctor who has now sent me to the urologist. It’s the va system which will probably surprise no one familiar with it.   Problem is that it’s a real problem.  I wear 24/7 at this point and have lost all control at night.  Daytime is iffy.  I normally wear pull up style but an hour is a long time when you don’t know where the next bathroom will be and they don’t hold like a taped diaper does.  To my main point:  I can talk to you all day long about history and such but I forget basic things all the time.  Keys, wallet, and etc.  Trouble is that the urologist is an hour away and there is a high chance I might forget to bring a spare.  I can even make a list of things to do and forget where I put the list.  I know this silly but it’s me in a nutshell.  I know this might sound stupid but if I do forget, will they have a spare there.  I think I’ve seen a urologist once in my life and that was a long time ago and not for this. Other question: Should I expect full on examination?  No one has ever seen me in a diaper and I prefer it that way but medically speaking, I get it.  My regular doctor was aware but didn’t see it.  She prescribed them and we talked about the issue general,  hence the urology visit.  I’m just really stressed and nervous.  The stigma of it all is getting to me.

My recommendation would be to get a gym bag or something similar; stock it with several diapers and whatever supplies you need for changing; and leave it in your vehicle.  It’s there for just those sort of emergencies. If pull-ons don’t provide adequate absorbency, use regular diapers. 

In this sort of situation, doctors and their nurses are going to see you wearing the diaper.  There is no avoiding that unless you prefer wearing regular underwear and taking the chance of having an accident. 

‘My first visit was mostly an information gathering meeting, but he also performed a cystoscopy to look for any obvious problems in the bladder.  He also filled my bladder with sterile water and had me pee into a container that measured the rate and how much my bladder emptied.  This was done at a private urologist’s office.  I can’t really say how the VA does business. 

• Like 1

I have found a good tip for not forgetting something.  You can make a check list but does that mean you will remember to look at it before you leave the house, or remember where you put it?  Here is what I do when I have a trip or have to stop somewhere on the way home and don't want to forget.  The key ring for my car keys has a pretty large ring on it.  As soon as I think of something I need to do, I immediately make a list or reminder note, fold it, run it through the ring on my car keys and tape it there.  That way I won't be able to drive anywhere without noticing the note on my key ring.

Chances are a urologist may have some diapers on hand, but I wouldn't count on it.  Placing a few spare diapers in your car or in the trunk and keeping them there for any emergency away from home is a good idea.  Just stop and immediately do it the moment you think of it so you won't forget.  The time to act is now when you first think of something, not later when you may have forgotten.

• Like 1

My first urology appointment involved a strip and medical exam including a prostate check(you will love that) I was wearing a large pad and net fixing pants. No mention was made of it despite it being quite damp. I was just told I could get dressed. The urology team never once mentioned how I was going to manage my incontinence and refered me to the continence clinic for practical help.

In relation to remembering things to do, get yourself a small notepad and pencil - one small enough to fit into your pocket and use same to write a to-do list on.

In relation to diapers vs pull-ups.... you have already decided that diapers are needed, so pack two bags - camera bags or laptop bags, which ever you wish... and leave one in your hall, and one in your car on the floor behind the drivers seat. In the boot, place a packed gym bag.

Laptop / camera bag contents - 2-3 diapers (minimum), wipes, diaper bags, diaper cream.

Gym Bag Contents - 8+ diapers; 2 pack of wipes; spare box of diaper bags; diaper cream; roll of refuse bags; full change of clothes including socks & shoes.

The gym bag stays in the boot of your car and is there if you need a full change. The laptop / camera bag you carry around with you almost 24/7. In that (outside pocket), you can keep your wallet, car keys, notebook, pen etc.

As a result, you will always have a diaper change with you when you need it, and you will always have your wallet, car / house keys, notepad (to-do list), pen, phone etc with you.

Re: Do doctors stock diapers for you to change into - the answer is both yes and no. Some do but you do not want to use those diapers as they are usually the cheap thin junk version that won't last.

I doubt that the VA clinic or Hospital will have any diapers on hand that they can give you but I can't say for sure. They do seem to treat this with more of an 'outpatient' approach. Worst case I'm sure they could provide a bedpad or two for the drive home. My own memory is begging to fade due to age/wear and tear, so with life's daily necessities I've developed a basic routine which I do not vary- that makes 'remembering' much easier even if it leaves me sometimes hauling around unneeded junk. That's not so bad that it's a problem, and it beats needing and not having. The vehicles always have two spare diapers in them, so that if I forget I used one I won't be stuck without. Yes, that's happened to me more than a few times. Another 'trick' I use is that when I remember I'm going to need something when I go out next, I'll round it up immediately (so I don't forget) then put it right at the door where I can't miss it when I leave. I used to set that stuff on the sofa but sometimes I'd walk past it not thinking; now I can't miss it. It's either grab it or step over it which reminds me it's there. When I see the car needs gas and I plan to do that later I stick a business card or note right there to remind me. I'm not down to putting a "checklist" and my car keys on the fridge or front door yet but if it becomes necessary I'll do it. When you truly need blatant reminders just do it, and if anyone say anything just remember that they're going to be in the same shape someday.

Bettypooh