LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Language Fun

We touched on this in a earlier post of a different thread. But I always find it entertaining and useful to learn words and phrases that vary from the continents. It's no wonder it is said the English language is the hardest to learn.

What's he talking about?

Well simply the way words and phrases are said and meant different within our own countrys and abroad.

So I propose that someone add a phrase or word that you have seen on the news or elsewhere, perhaps something that you use regularly, or something that you just didn't get or understand from anywhere. Then let us guess what the word or phrase means, then give us the okay if we are right.

Take turns giving the term or phrase where you are from. Then giving one of your own and keep the thread going if you wish.

This one has been bugging me for a while: "Toss off"

I won't even tell you what that means in the states :whistling:

..........Take turns giving the term or phrase where you are from. Then giving one of your own and keep the thread going if you wish.

This one has been bugging me for a while: "Toss off"

I won't even tell you what that means in the states :whistling:

That term means exactly the same in the UK, so thankfully there's no need for me to

answer it. :whistling:

Snap! is an exclamation that we use quite frequently over here, but I've noticed the queries from members in the US and Canada when I've used it on DD.

Pissed and Pissed off also causes raised eyebrows and much confusion here too.

One word that got me in trouble in the past because of our tendency to use it in a less derogatory and more joking fashion is Creep.

And who can forget the term/pastime Dogging?!

D :P lly

pissed off is a very poular term that we use for angry, i'm kind of surprised to hear that it's not used over there, because i've heard piss off is being used like f :o k off.

a while back i heard that wendys would never take off in brittain because of their biggie fries and biggie drinks, when i asked why i was left hanging and was told to ask someone from brittain and now seems like my chance.

i also heard cock up means something harmless over there from what i remember i think it means you made a mistake

The one that got me was fanny (if spelled the same)

as... she is wearing a fanny pack.

Only found out much later it means the bum in america.

I will not tell you what it means over here in the uk. :blush:

Actually fanny pack is the small little pack worn around your waist, usally with a zipper and tourist usally wear them to keep there valuables in. Although it may be some new street slang

Now... "Bumper/Trunk" is slang for a girls rear end. Used as "Check out the bumper on that chick" There is also a more offensive term commonly used, "Shitter" not to be confused with the southern states term I used to use for the restroom. "Hey man were's your shitter?"

The term "Pissed" is more commonly used in place of the word "upset" with a more defining twang.

As far a "creep" that's relativley not used any more, but if it is it's not really a derogatory statement anymore..more like the first thing a girl would say to a guy trying to pick her up with a bad opening line, kind of like "Loser"

I agree, repaid. Those all seemed okay to me.

I hear these alot at school, and around different parts of the Bay.

Chill: Usually used to describe a laid-back person. Ex: "Scott won't narc on us, right?" "Nah, man, he's chill."

Grill: Can refer to either a barbeque, or a person's teeth, usually covered with a shiny metal retainer that is embedded with gems.

Stunner Shades: Expensive sunglasses, usually non-perscription, with an over-sized frame, and over-sized lenses.

--Brandon

so either he was messing with my head when he was telling me that and it really means nothing or it's out of common usage?

now this is really bugging me... think hard if biggie means absolutely anything else over there, any simple answer will save me from thinking about it anymore. i'm tempted to call him up after all these years just to ask him what he thought it meant.

.....As far a "creep" that's relativley not used any more, but if it is it's not really a derogatory statement anymore..more like the first thing a girl would say to a guy trying to pick her up with a bad opening line, kind of like "Loser"

But what I was trying to say Repaid, is that the joking (sometimes only semi-joking) way in which we use the word Creep doesn't mean a loser. If we call someone a creep in this instance, it means someone who is playing Teacher's Pet and trying to curry favour. Someone who is flattering to receive.

D :) lly

That's what I needed to know, what you all used it for, I didn't get your definition of the way it was used. I think I would just go for "Kiss A$$" on that one ;)

well you all know Pampers i guess ;)

here in germany after about 30 years since pampers came on the market it already is a word where even a verb and an adjective have been built up from

in some german regions people already use ' I have to pamper me' (verb) instead of 'i have to diaper me' . or like in 'Now you are nicely pampered' (adjective) instead of '.....nicely diapered.'. for example the nurse of my mother always did and she is slightly over 60 now. The word Pampers itself is regulary used for the diaper too. The german translation of diaper, diaper, diapered like above is '(die) Windel', '(jemanden) windeln' and 'gewindelt (sein)' if someone is interested in the translation.

a cellphone is a handy here. dunno who came up with that but today a lot of people here think it is the english word for some odd reason. I guess the industry here thought a cellphone IS handy so some marketing chiefs decided on that name rather than the pretty unspeakable and unrecognizeable cellphone (in german at least).

That's what I needed to know, what you all used it for, I didn't get your definition of the way it was used. I think I would just go for "Kiss A$$" on that one ;)

I was about to say that with reference to the Teacher's Pet meaning, Creep would be a more appropriate term than your Kiss A$$ but then again, thinking of our average schoolchild.............

What about "shag?" as in the verb and not the carpet...LOL ;-)

Shag is used as a noun as well as a verb, such as in the subtle chat-up line "Hey, do you fancy a Shag?"

D :whistling: lly

The all important question: In England a diaper is called a "nappy." Any idea where that term originated?

Of course in America we say "van," and in England it's called a "lorrie." (Did I spell that correctly?) And in Australia a small pickup truck is called a "ute." (Short for utility vehicle).

Words are amazing, aren't they?

Baby June 1/20/2007

Yeah--I looked it up on Wikipedia after I asked the question. It's short for "baby napkin." It just didn't make any sense to me since napkins and diapers are used on opposite ends.

Baby June 1/21/2007

Yeah--I looked it up on Wikipedia after I asked the question. It's short for "baby napkin." It just didn't make any sense to me since napkins and diapers are used on opposite ends.

Baby June 1/21/2007

Likewise the word Diaper!

In Shakespeare's Taming of the Shrew, the Diaper referred to is used in the context of a face flannel/washcloth.

Apparently the words Napkin and Diaper both describe the material they are made from (Cotton Gauze) and not primarily a description of their function.

D :) lly

on the have you ever thread dolly asked me to tell you what pillion means over in america.

as far as i know it doesn't mean anything over here, the first time i heard it was on that thread. what i was saying was riding on the back of a motorcycle is called something much different.

like riding in the middle seat in a car it's called riding bitch to ride on the back of a motorcycle, i like your term for it way better.