LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Why cloth diapers might not be the greener choice, after all

At least one of the core facts in the article has been common knowledge for years, Will, that being that cloth diapers will eat up just as much energy and far more water than disposables over time just from the laundering aspect.

WBDaddy, on 10 May 2015 - 8:22 PM, said:

However I was addressing a lot of the stupid things about worrying about how much emissions the tractor that farmed the cotton generated which raised the article to the outright drivel category.

Did a "like" on the above. Same as with Lawyers, each side is going to spin the facts to make their position seem like the correct one <_< But when you will take into account all the facts- not just the ones mentioned here but in all the research done on thisa subject- then it's clear that there is no clear "winner" in the argument :mellow: Disposables and cloth both have their good and bad points with neither always being the best choice. If one wishes to take the "Green" approach then you should base your choice on your local situation because that is where you are affecting the world ;) Is water supply or wastewater management

• Like 3

WBDaddy, on 10 May 2015 - 8:22 PM, said:

At least one of the core facts in the article has been common knowledge for years, Will, that being that cloth diapers will eat up just as much energy and far more water than disposables over time just from the laundering aspect.

I'd agree with that if you replace the word "will" with "may." In fact, it varies as to how they're washed. The energy efficiency of the laundry process varies and in order it to be considered a "net loss" you have to throw in a lot of things like soap production costs, water supply efforts, etc... Then you have to balance that on your particular disposable and how you get it tot he baby.

However I was addressing a lot of the stupid things about worrying about how much emissions the tractor that farmed the cotton generated which raised the article to the outright drivel category.

I believe you're missing the point that washing a cloth anything barely even uses a small fraction of the water needed to grow that cotton in the first place.

This is just like California cracking down on water waster consumers which barely equate to 20 percent of all water used. The other 80 percent is used by farming and agriculture which is barely even tracked yet alone regulated.

Well, in fairness, they're addressing issues that the people who fret about the environmental impact of disposables worry about. I mean, for fuck's sake, buying a brand new car, even if you invent one that's zero-emissions, is far worse of an environmental impact than buying used, because of the sheer volume of petroleum products that went into making that car in the first place. But greenies don't think like that. They want to SHOW OFF how environmentally conscious they are. It's a conspicuous consumption thing.

You do realize that used car was also manufactured too right. If anything, car plants have been getting less wasteful every year. As such, a new car is more likely made "greener" than a used one. It also has better gas mileage, and will be in a better condition that wont pollute as much either.

Yes you should try to be more environmental friendly, but you also need to be smart about it too. Keeping a clunker on the road is not smarter or greener than selling it to a recycled and buying a new one.

I also liked what you said bettypooh. Although I prefer disposables, I'm not going to pretend they are environmentally friendly. Of course, I'm not going to pretend cloth is either.

We could try and justify one over the other all day long. Unfortunately both cloth and disposables have all kinds of holes in them when it comes to the environmental impact they have.

Just don't go trying to prove that you are right and the other side is wrong until you can solidly prove that without ignoiring or omitting anything which relates to the issue. if you can't accept the facts as they truly are whether you like them or not, then if there is any wrong involved it is you :whistling:

The debate of cloth over disposables isn't about the environment for me. I prefer cloth for several reasons: It's what I wore as an actual baby having been born in 1959. Also, I have family around most of the time, which makes disposing of diapers impossible. Cloth diapers are easier to wash and stash. I also like the feel of cloth and can wear them with Zorb soaker layers to make them more efficient than most disposables.

The debate of cloth over disposables isn't about the environment for me. I prefer cloth for several reasons: It's what I wore as an actual baby having been born in 1959. Also, I have family around most of the time, which makes disposing of diapers impossible. Cloth diapers are easier to wash and stash. I also like the feel of cloth and can wear them with Zorb soaker layers to make them more efficient than most disposables.

You do realize that used car was also manufactured too right. If anything, car plants have been getting less wasteful every year. As such, a new car is more likely made "greener" than a used one. It also has better gas mileage, and will be in a better condition that wont pollute as much either.

Except a used car is already in circulation, meaning that buying a used car is not directly contributing to the carbon footprint. Once the water spills over the dam, you can't put it back - but you can certainly maximize its use afterward.

Except cars are most often taken off the road when they are replaced by a newer one (though many do keep the old car as a backup it still isn't used as often any more).

Buying a newer car puts a less polluting one on the road, buying a used one (or even keeping an older one for longer), puts a bigger polluter on the road.

This said, I fully understand most people just can't afford a newer car. I myself have an 11 year old Jeep, I just don't pretend it's better for the environment than a new one.