LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Holiday

Diapers446

• 3 years later...
On 12/26/2014 at 12:33 AM, Edd53 said:

The use of "Happy Holidays" seemed to start in Bill Clinton's term. The Clintons always used it and somehow it caught on. I favor calling the day what is, Christmas.

The was a song that used it before the Clintons, I think Perry Como in the '50's and it was in Portuguese as "boas festas" that I learedn in the early 1970's

Happy Holidays is a term used long before the Clinton's.  Like anything, some groups complained that Merry Christmas was targeting a specific group of people and some just feel they have to protest everything!  It matters not that all the people around them, 90% disagree with them!  If your city puts up a Nativity scene, they will protest until it's taken down.  We don't protest if the city puts up a Menorah!  We don't protest African American's celebrating Kwanza even if they get a permit from the city to have a parade.  People need to just let others enjoy their Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanza or whatever they like to celebrate and ignore it if it's not for them.  Unfortunatly, there are some people out there who just have to protest no matter what.  They must be really angry and unhappy people to be around.  Where will they stop?  Will they protest in front of department stores that sell Christmas decorations and play Christmas music?  Will they protest outside of radio stations that play Christmas music over the air?  Anyway, people started saying Happy Holidays for a couple reasons.  First, they don't often know if someone celebrates Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanza or something else, but as all three are celebrated around the same time along with New Years, saying "Happy Holidays" covers whatever someone may celebrate.  Even if they don't celebrate anything, they are still hollidays and New Years is non religious so it's somewhat safe.  Second, some people might be offended if they are athiest, Jewish or some other religion and might just say something to the well wisher.  Although I am Christian myself and tend to wish people Merry Christmas, it wasn't the Clinton's that started the  trend of saying, "Happy Holidays".  It started years before. 

By the way, if you think of it, Perry Como (I think it was Andy Williams myself) was singing Happy Holidays on a Christmas record!  "It's the holiday season, so Whoop Dee Do, and Dickory Dock, and don't forget to hang up your sock for just exactly at twelve o'clock he'll be comin' down the chimney down".   That doesn't exactly sound like a non Christmas song!