With hair cut square and eyes alert

He'd stand out in any crowd.

I thought how many men like him

Had fallen through the years.

How many died on foreign soil

How many mothers' tears?

How many pilots' planes shot down?

How many died at sea

How many foxholes were soldiers' graves?

No, freedom isn't free.

I heard the sound of Taps one night,

When everything was still,

I listened to the bugler play

And felt a sudden chill.

I wondered just how many times

That Taps had meant "Amen,"

When a flag had draped a coffin.

Of a brother or a friend.

I thought of all the children,

Of the mothers and t he wives,

Of fathers, sons and husbands

With interrupted lives.

I thought about a graveyard

At the bottom of the sea

Of unmarked graves in Arlington .

No, freedom isn't free.

Enjoy Your Freedom & God Bless Our Troops

Of all the gifts you could give a US Soldier, Prayer is the very best one.

That is very wonderful, and being a disabled American Veteran I say Amen to that! I hope everyone reads this post and remembers all the Fallen on this day and their families. And Just as the poem says, say an extra prayer for them and all who love them. And as always God Bless America.

to all the American soldiers past and present,

thank you for all you do! And know in your

heart that I will never forget. GOD bless you.

P.S. repaid, thank you for posting this topic!

I watched the flag pass by one day,

It fluttered in the breeze.

A young Marine saluted it,

And then he stood at ease..

I looked at him in uniform

So young, so tall, so proud,

With hair cut square and eyes alert

He'd stand out in any crowd.

I thought how many men like him

Had fallen through the years.

How many died on foreign soil

How many mothers' tears?

How many pilots' planes shot down?

How many died at sea

How many foxholes were soldiers' graves?

No, freedom isn't free.

I heard the sound of Taps one night,

When everything was still,

I listened to the bugler play

And felt a sudden chill.

I wondered just how many times

That Taps had meant "Amen,"

When a flag had draped a coffin.

Of a brother or a friend.

I thought of all the children,

Of the mothers and t he wives,

Of fathers, sons and husbands

With interrupted lives.

I thought about a graveyard

At the bottom of the sea

Of unmarked graves in Arlington .

No, freedom isn't free.

Enjoy Your Freedom & God Bless Our Troops

Of all the gifts you could give a US Soldier, Prayer is the very best one.

IN many ways the fallen are the luckies one they no longer have to deal with the nightmares from viet nam or other wars they no long have to hear the garbage told by others, they no long have to deal wuth the smells that other will never understnd or even smell

but are always with you day in and day out or the thoughts of others that have fallenn that uinvade your dreams at night both friend and foe

viet nam 66 / 67

victum of friendlt fire

Guest diamondback688

i saw that thing about arlington national cemetery on PBS on saturday...was very informative and interesting...to bad they didnt talk about the funeral they had to do for the Medal Of Honor Recipient...woulda been very interesting...i also agree...thank you to all of our men and women in uniform...

We watched our little towns memorial day parade from our front yard this morning...Family and friends seated all around us. The honor gaurd carrying the flag came by...so many people stayed seated it made me sad to see so many who have not been taught or choose not to follow the tradition of standing as the flag passes by....

As I watched the flag coming closer....i took the hand of my Master/Daddy/Friend and waited for His que to stand at His side as they marched past...as W/we stood ...others followed O/our lead but as the flag passed many asked the question....why did we stand and what are the expectations when honoring the flag....i was so proud of mine as He answered their questions...

Tears came to my eyes as the many veterans passed by...some walking...and older generations driven in many of the towns peoples finest cars.... convertables and antique cars of locals who proudly carried them down the street....i held Daddy's hand...so thankful that He was beside me...here this day...having himself served for many years in the Airforce including time spent serving during the gulf war....

I am sure there are many places all over the world where one can feel safe grateful for all they have....but i know today looking up and down the street of this little town...the flags waving in the gentle breeze...amongst some of the best people I know.....my heart was filled with gratitude......

Thank You to all who have served and to those who are serving...a nation holds you in our hearts and prayers....

Thanks to all of you who responded. Hey Curious go figure...both from Ohio and both Disabled Vets too.

As a side note, there was a show on the A&E network regarding our hometown heros. Many of you may have heard of them they are Based out of Cleveland, and also here in Columbus, they are Lima Company the Marine Reserve unit that made headlines due to the most losses of any Company, and of any reserve unit of any war. The show hits home hard as one of my friends was killed, as many of his friends I met were as well.

This Documentary is unique as it is filmed using the Marines own Videos they shot while overseas in combat. For those of you who would like to know what it feels and looks like from a personal respective, without all the news hype, this is the show to watch. I show it being reaired June 3rd at 11:00 a.m. EST, So set your VCR's ,TIVO's if you can't catch it. Trust me..it will bring a tear to your eye and a smile to your heart, and for those who haven't served perhaps alittle more repect for your freedom. God Bless you all, and God Bless the USA! SEMPER FI!

Ahhh a trick question, the last war, is still being fought. I think the list is shorter to name one we didn't fight for our freedom. :starwars:

Ahhh a trick question, the last war, is still being fought. I think the list is shorter to name one we didn't fight for our freedom. :starwars:

errr no it's not a trick question.

Which war is this thats still being fought that American citizans were in imminent danger of losing their freedom.

BY the way i'm not saying i have an answer to the question

Well, I appreciate the cander, but I seem to remember a "small" episode where over 3 thousand american citizens were slaughtered & had their freedom removed for no reason. It was just the largest attack on american soil. In world war two, we were attacked on our soil, and fought the war on theirs. War for rights and freedom should in no way be construed as a defensive position and a wait and see attitude. America & it's Allies have long been the peace keeper, because its values are of the highest echelon. This is no way a attack on anyone, but sit back and dwell a moment on your (our) lifestyle as it may be, and surmise where else in the world you would have such a freedom to actively pursue such. That's pretty much the just of the whole situation, as I see it.

Well, I appreciate the cander, but I seem to remember a "small" episode where over 3 thousand american citizens were slaughtered & had their freedom removed for no reason. It was just the largest attack on american soil. In world war two, we were attacked on our soil, and fought the war on theirs. War for rights and freedom should in no way be construed as a defensive position and a wait and see attitude. America & it's Allies have long been the peace keeper, because its values are of the highest echelon. This is no way a attack on anyone, but sit back and dwell a moment on your (our) lifestyle as it may be, and surmise where else in the world you would have such a freedom to actively pursue such. That's pretty much the just of the whole situation, as I see it.

I'll agree on WW2. But i'd question the rest. The peace keeping roll is pretty much selective on what countries have to offer and it's for their freedoms not ours i think. While i do agree there is a tendency for our countries to have higher values in peoples freedoms i'd hardly call it the highest echelon. Quantanimo Bay is something that should be fought against not for. It's hardly a good case of preaching freedom. It's no small coincidence any camp similar to that isn't on American or British soil. I'd pretty much say it operates in a way that smacks in the face of a national constitution, laws and human rights. The ends do not justify the means

Whether one believes in the war being fought or not....

i believe it's important to recognize those who serve their country ... support and honor them ... their sacrifices should never be taken for granted....

It is our responsibility to also know who our leaders are as best we can and vote for those who best represent what we believe in....

Life is complicated ...we don't always find ourselves represented as we would personally wish....but ultimately we still hold the right to speak what we believe and vote for who we wish

Quite welcome Dphantom, it was sent to me in a email. The original had photos and stuff but it wouldn't post on the boards. if anyone would like the original email me or pm me with your email and I will forward it to you in it's entirity. I just found a unique phrase so I made me a bumper sticker for my car..it reads "If you don't stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them!"