LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

How Absorbent?

Terrycloth is very absorbent if you get a heavy enough grade (towel quality). There are so many options to use with cloth diapers including folding one into thirds and using it as a soaker layer in the center of an outer diaper. Terrycloth is also reasonably priced. Some diaper fleece sells for over $16 per yard. Personally, I like diaper flannel but I don't flood a diaper or wet heavily. I pee like a baby--a little at a time. Since I've never used disposable diapers, I can't really compare. I can say, however, that nothing makes you feel more babyish than a cloth diaper and waterproof pants.

Cloth diapers can absorb a lot, but not as much as the heavy premium disposables unless you're wearing very bulky cloth diapers. One advantage of cloth is that they will continue to absorb and wick liquid even when they are close to saturation. You just have to avoid sitting down at that point.

Disposable diapers have a set capacity. Exceed that limit and the liquid has nowhere to go except to leak out. Once the gel has absorbed all it can, it's done. By the way, this applies to the area in front, around the genitals, and the crotch. The area in back nearly always remains unused under most normal circumstances. So, once the frontal and crotch regions are saturated, you'd better change quickly.

In my experience, at night a heavy cloth diaper works the best and almost never leaks. During the day, a premium disposable does well if changed every 4-6 hours.

For bed time cloth is the best, a thick night diaper with good plastic pants holds all night and you don't have to worry about leaking if you are on your side. Almost all disposables leak if you are a side sleeper.

• 2 months later...

Rather than start a new topic I thought I'd add my questions to an existing thread.

On the very few occasions I have tried cloth nappies they seem to leak into my plastic pants after one medium wetting.

Am I doing something wrong?

Also, I've read about 'stuffers' I assume these are things that are put in the bottom of the cloth nappy that makes them more absorbent.

What's the best thing to use?

Is a baby sized disposable suitable? Or would baby sized terry nappies be better?

I'm keen to have a better experience wearing cloth without the leaks :)

Cloth diapers liquid capacity exceeds anything except for possibly the very best disposables. That only happens when they are thick enough- a single layer of cloth is about useless for more than minor leakage :( A 2X8X2 cloth diaper (4 full layers with 4 more in the center soaker) gets me 5-8 hours on average (my peeing is rather inconsistent) a 4X8X4 almost doubles that but now we're getting noticeably bulky. For side-sleepers cloth is unbeatable. No disposable yet has adequate absorbency in that area :crybaby:Those of us who wear cloth diapers regularly would not do so if they were as bad as some would make them out to be ;)

Plastic panties (or rubber if you prefer) are not designed to hold liquid directly for long :huh:What they do is contain it long enough for the diaper to do it's job of absorbing. Thus the closer you are to saturated the longer this takes and the higher the risk of a leak. With enough diaper, you can safely 'flood' a cloth diaper- a rarity in disposables. Plus plastic panties must be in contact with the diaper- any puddling will leak in short order :o They must also fit well enough- too loose at the openings will leak and too tight hurts rather badly. There is something of an art to properly wearing cloth diapers which is why a few people have had bad experiences with them leaking sooner than they thought they should :whistling: Disposables are easier to 'get it right' in properly fitting them because the openings are adjustable. All diapers take some experimenting for you to get the best results.

I can't comment much on 'stuffers' save to say that I believe those who speak of them working well. Many use baby diapers, some use disposable 'doublers'. I don't like added thickness in the middle like that, preferring a sleeker look without that kind of bulge <_< Read well how these people use them as it may require slitting the backing to get the results they do. I wear both disposable and cloth diapers. I just came out of an old Bambino Classico which seemed to be the equivalent of one of my 'night weight' cloth diapers. The feel is very different but both seem to have about the same capacity and wearing time before leaking. As always, YMMV and never moreso than when it comes to wearing diapers!

Bettypooh

Agree, I just started using cloth diapers (angel fluff leak master with PUL pants) for my night time side-sleeping. They are a little bit more absorbent than Molicare Supers (large). Mostly they seem better a wicking away the pee to a dry area so they don't leak as soon as a disposable with the same wettings.

A word of warning though. From what I've found a wet cloth diaper will sag pretty bad if you're up and about. You'll need a onesie or pants to hold them up if you wear them out of bed for too long.