LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Windows 8, Your First Impressions?

dogpiss

FWIW, I think Win8 seems to be a steaming pile of, well, diaper use. I don't like the new UI at ALL Under the hood it seems like Win7 warmed over and the whole project feels rushed. In other words, I think it's a lot like Vista just not as good.

Your opinions?

• Like 1

Happy with 7 Ultimate as it is. I understand that you can't go back to your old 7, once 8 is installed which really sucks and don't want to do a recovery partition so that I could. I understand people don't like the new GUI, but there are already programs out that will switch it back to the old windows 7 look with the start button and such. That being said the thing looks like the security measures for it's system will give the nasty trolls and viruses a serious run for their money now. But I seldom get a virus I don't stop anyway. So as it is, sticking with 7. Maybe down the road if I get a better computer with a bigger harddrive I will have a go at it.

I find it funny that if you upgrade to windows 8 preview, from 7 it keeps all your programs and stuff. But when the Program comes out in what, October, it doesn't keep anything?

Glad that I'm mostly a MAC User. I'm still holding on to XP for most things, and windows 7.

Win 8 is going to show that Microsoft can't get either the desktop or the tablet market right.

I'm lucky enough to be able to say I haven't had the misfortune of being forced to use Windows for a long, long time...

It's all Mac and Linux for me. I can recommend Mac for everybody (Linux is probably a bit too steep a learning curve to be worth it).

I just spent about 70 hours learning the in and outs of Windows 8... So, with an educated insight, I can say DON'T GET IT. If anyone decides to try Windows 8, keep your Windows 7 key and disk handy, because you will want to format and reload soon after. If anyone is interested, I will be providing rollback to a fresh install of Windows 7 for $40 plus the cost of a key (if applicable. This is why I say keep your product key, it could be worth over $100 easily.) Email is tanny@renopcpro.com if you want help with 8 or are interested in windows 7 rollback. :)

• Like 1

I haven't tried Win8 yet. I just wanted to leave all the people who hate the new GUI a message: Give it a chance for a few days.

Most people prefer some kind of continuity with their programs and are very fast to say 'hate it' if a button moves from the left to the right. When the default forum look changed, I didn't like it, but now it's OK. When XP first came out I thought I was in some sweet shop, and the first thing I did was to make it look like Win2k; It looks totally usable to me now...

The probably biggest GUI change I had was the change from Gnome2 to Ubuntu's Compiz/Unity desktop. I actually installed it 3 times before I gave it enough time to sink in going back to XFCE in between. And now its brilliant! Its different, but once you what you're doing, it makes life faster and easier.

So, give Win8 a chance. :thumbsup:

Oh, by the way: someone revived CDE, I heard...

• 2 weeks later...

I was using the Customer Preview, and I like it, despite the bugs with language.

Windows 8 is as fast or faster then Windows 7. The new UI needs time to get used to, but you can do anything as fast as with the old UI, and with touch screen monitors becoming reasonably priced (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824176356) will be a lot faster navigating, along with being a lot more fun to operate. Its about time touch screen technology is upon us, and I think that as long as people upgrade, Windows 8 will be awesome. It really depends on the PC companies, like HP, Dell, to manufacture PC's with touchscreen displays.

Guest jeff142

When I first started the preview I thought I had got a tablet version.

The gui is not going to work, I mean come on Microsoft a desktop should not look like your phone os.

Also i never did find the power button, or most settings.

I'll stick with my ubuntu with gnome

• Like 1

...I understand that you can't go back to your old 7, once 8 is installed...

I just spent about 70 hours learning the in and outs of Windows 8... So, with an educated insight, I can say DON'T GET IT. If anyone decides to try Windows 8, keep your Windows 7 key and disk handy, because you will want to format and reload soon after. If anyone is interested, I will be providing rollback to a fresh install of Windows 7 for $40 plus the cost of a key (if applicable. This is why I say keep your product key, it could be worth over $100 easily.) Email is tanny@renopcpro.com if you want help with 8 or are interested in windows 7 rollback. :)

I'm sure glad I read these comments before even considering Windows 8.

BTW, REPAID... What does 7 Ultimate give as opposed to lesser version like I have?

I'm just getting use to the differences of XP to Win 7.

I think I see it in the "tea leaves" that Win 8 is going to be another Win Millenium (anyone remember that one?)

Or a lesser accepted version than Vista was.

M.S. needs to work on an Ultimate Ultimate (or whatever sounds better than "Ultimate") version of Windows 7.

In a couple years, when everything is "outdated", then they should consider releasing something new.

Who woulda thought I'd get such valuable IT advice in a Diaper forum. LOL

Great thread ! Thanks Guys...

I've worked in IT for many years, and in my opinion Microsoft has only ever produced two decent operating systems; Windows 3.1 and Windows XP.

Vista was basically an attempt to repackage and visually improve on XP, but failed miserably in security and performance. Windows 7 was basically a fix for Vista, and while appearing to the general public as being good, it is another failure! With Windows 8, Microsoft attempted to make an OS that would work seamlessly over smart-phones, tablets, and desktops, but once again failed miserably.

In NZ, most businesses are still using XP, and for a very good reason - it's one of Microsoft's only OS's that actually works properly! I'm also studying computer science part-time, and it's not coincidence that most of our work (especially programming) is performed on Mac's .

p.s. In my opinion, you should NEVER install a Microsoft product until it is at LEAST two years old, that way you can save yourself the risk of security leaks, and other potential issues! If you choose to use a Microsoft product when it is new (such as Windows 2000, or Vista, or Windows 8), you are relegating yourself to being a mere Microsoft guinea pig!!

Guest jeff142

Windows xp is used in most business hear in the USA also. It is (in my opinion) Microsofts best os, it i a good mix of visual and power. Along with being stable and secure.

My biggest complaint about windows 8, why am I fourced to have a tablet experience on my desktop?

This will be Microsofts biggest fail, it is a common knowledge NOT to change to much, and have to relearn the os, if I have to re learn everything what's stoping me from buying mac ? Or going *inx.

I am underwhelmed by Win8. Two different ways to interact with the machine, neither of which is intuitive. My son looked at it and said- "hey is that Windows 8? It looks just like a phone. That's dumb."

I will be sticking to WIn7 myself.

Surprised it's out already, heard Win 8 is not out in the UK, till Oct 2012...

Not buying it anyway, getting Win 7 very soon, to replace this outdated piece of shit Win XP. FULL of security holes, constant windows updates, and Blue Screens Of Death.

If I didn't play games and run high end simulators on this pc, I would use Linux instead...

OK so I've used it for a while and Win 8 ONLY GETS WORSE, especially in a domain/enterprise environment. The fact that you now have a start "screen" and desktop that you have to toggle between to get stuff done... it's bad. On a scale of 1-10, with 1 being literally unusable and 10 being "WANT" more than any computer thing ever, I'm being generous at a 3.5.

My previous ratings at release (please take in context of 'state of the art' at release date):

Windows 95: 6 (doesn't include 95b, which is a 7)

Windows NT 4.0: 7.5+

Windows 98: 7(doesn't include 98SE which is about 8.5)

Windows ME: 3 (I could literally never get the damn thing to run right!)

Windows 2000: 9 (I have to say relative to time of launch, I think Win2K is one of MS best products ever!)

Windows XP: 7 (XP service pack 2 makes about 8.0+)

Windows Vista: 5-

Windows 7: 8 (with XP virtual machine, I'd have to say close to 8.75)

Windows 8: 3.5 (at least it runs)

• Like 1

I ran the beta about a year ago. Windows 8 is not that good. I dont see any reason to make a new version right now, windows 7pro 64bit works great on a wide range of hardware. I will keep it as my OS as long as they support updates for it.

windows 8 and their "metro" UI is for illeterate people who are to lazy to read, or for older people who would rather click on pictuers than navigate the desktop. in my opinion. other than that, ill go back to XP before i upgrade to 8. no, ill switch to (shutter) hackintoss

Desktops in the Linux world are not rosy right now either. Basically, if you want a traditional experience (that is fully functional) your choices are MATE (Gnome 2), Trinity (KDE 3), or XFCE... however, a lot of the default choices in those desktops are dated. OTOH, A lot of new utilities have jumped the shark too... for example, I wasn't expecting to have to install MATE's Pluma (older gedit fork) to have a decent search in gedit. My Linux desktop now uses software from at least 4 different environments, (plus some I had to compile myself) just to stay traditional, but still keep up. Heh, maybe I should start a new Ubuntu-based spinoff distro.

Windows 8 is a terrible disaster. Metro apps can't be downloaded outside of Windows Store. It's worse than Apple. Apple doesn't lock down Mac/PC.

Avoid it. Switch to Linux. I know, Linux was a disaster ten years ago, but it's quite capable now. Try it... you can even use something like Wubi and run Linux without VirtualPC or partitioning.