LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

How To Cope With Anxiety?

Hello,

I don't normally post anything on here, but i thought as i keep having bad anxiety attacks that i'd ask you guys how you cope and maybe help me through mine a bit better. I have been down throughout university and have really struggled with friends - bulling and deadlines and a dreadful job where i was discriminated against for having Dyspraxia and a speech and language disorder by a learning disability Organisation - i wont say which one mind! Let alone all the years before this with a dreadful college groups and a not so understanding family.. but then it was just depression and i just about managed to cope with out any medication for it.

But unfortunetly my anxiety attacks now have been really bad and really quite scarey to be honest. All of my flat mates have moved out - and a strange new guy moved in, but it still means that i am on my own which really doesn't help when an anxiety attack happends. i am now having to take heart medication to calm my heart rate down but really do not want to take an anti-depressant for it. I believe that my anxiety is getting worse because of being lonely, bored (got a 4 month summer ahead of me!) awaiting uni results, a not so understanding bf, being so desprate for my lil side to be looked after for real and a incon desire which is going into over mode recently. I just wish that i could find away to cope and get around my attacks cause they can be really quite scarey - i've had 4 in the past 3 days!! :(

So my question is - how do you cope with your anxiety?

babymarie

I've always had really bad anxiety. I haven't taken any medicine for it... not to say something like that wouldn't work - I just don't like the concept. Anyway.

The way I usually deal with it is sleep, which I guess is a dumb idea. I mean, it's not like you can sleep in school or anything. My panic attacks are usually introverted. They're usually because I think too much, and that often happens when I'm at home alone. So I sleep. But another tactic I found particularly useful was to have distractions. Sleep is sort've like that for me. An interrupt of sorts, you know? Like, for example, bring something you really love to do. For me, it would probably be bringing my DS with me. Some people like sudoku or crosswords. But pick something you really love that you can do anywhere. Then whenever you feel yourself getting really stressed and anxious, pull it out and just... well, do it. This sort've thing can only help situationally, though. It won't help during an exam or something.

In instances like that, I find it prudent to just breathe and look at the world from a more... uh... existential viewpoint. See the entire world for what it is. How small and insignificant one person is out of 6.4 billion - say you - and how even /more/ insignificant that test is. It helps put things in perspective, as long as you're sure something like that won't make you /more/ anxious. But it really shows you that what you're stressing over means almost nothing in the grand scheme of things. I don't know. I've used that method on tests before. I used to get really frustrated in high school in math and when I finally realized that it didn't /mean/ anything, I wound up doing a lot better on the exams because I could relax.

Anyway. If you wanna talk more about your situation or anything, you can message me. I'll try to get back to you ASAP. ^_^ I hope I helped some... I'll check back on this topic tomorrow for you.

~Sophie

Marie!

I use Alprolazam for my extreme anxiety attacks, which fortunately have been few these past months. I try to analyze WHY and WhereFrom my anxiety arises and find most are due to my COPD and fear I cannot catch my breath. Perhaps yours arise from the question "What's Next?" Your statements indicate you are at an age of rapid change in your life, roommates going and coming and an inconsistent bf. Plus uni may soon be over and then there is "the rest of your life". Just guessing.

An author once wrote that ALL depression comes from a "sense of loss." (That was before neurotransmitters were understood.) There is something to this personal viewpoint, but it is not definitive for ALL depression. Yes, you were likely born with Dyspraxia and you are not like everybody else, so stop comparing yourself to them. You've learned many coping mechanisms to deal with this condition. You have a uniqueness that makes your life more difficult and more special, but not intolerable. Likely your recent over mode desire to infantilism is just another coping style. Daniel Radcliff is coping well with his Dyspraxia. Many not famous people do also. Be yourself. Accept yourself. Try a more positive viewpoint. A good life and happiness are in your future.

Wishing you the best.

Happiness Is Wearing Cotton Diapers

Hi sophie and babylin,

these posts have put a smile on my face :)

I think i will be able to get on - i just hope my ever rapid life does start to calm down, mind i've still got two more years of university to go! i dont mind having dyspriaxia and i know that daniel radcliffe has it as well :) so i know i can over come things... and i'd never dremt that i'd be in UNI especially after i had been to a special needs boarding school! I'm doing my degree to give what i learnt in strategies back and help others like me :). my lil marie - is my way of coping, but after a year and a bit of no one taking care of her - being the 20 month old she is - it is getting harder for me to cope - which is why my anxiety has gotten out of hand i think and also the desire for incon as well. I've also discovered that cross-stitch is a wonderfull calming thing to do and its helped me calm down after my attacks durning the day. i have a smart phone - so i have Sudoku on that - and i do it at night as that is when my attacks happen.. which is why they are scary :(

Hopefully my trip to the docs will do me good and i might see if i can get a referal to a counsellor as i feel talking about my problems will probably help my anxiety.

babymarie :)

hmmmmm i am on medication for it, though i don't take it. i've found a way to just zone out while listening to music and personally that works for me. i put on certain tracks and the anxiety goes away. but like i said, that works for me.

I have had anxiety attacks since i was about 5-6 and my first full blown panic attack since 7-8. Since the age of 16 i have had a prescription for larazepam (ativan). It is in the same family as alaprozam (xanax) and diazepam (valium) and clonazepam (klonopin). Baseically a benzodiazapine used as antianxiety medications. The benefit of these medications is that you do not need to take them everyday, but instead can use them on an as needed basis.

This is how i use my ativan. I get a prescription written saying i can take a pill 2x daily. Some days I don't need any at all, other days I need 4-5 (not recommended, i've been on it for 13 years so have a bit of a tolerance). But being it is something u can take just when needed u do not have the same side effects because its not building up in your system the same way, and you don't build up a tolerance as quick.

The concern is that it is highly addictive being it is also a muscle relaxer, many dr's will not just prescribe this, but would rather u be on a daily anti anxiety such as paxil or zoloft and have one of the above medications only for 'breakthrough' anxiety.

But really if the anxiety is affecting your quality of life, than go to a dr, get some medication and potentially in conjunction with some therapy, as it seems much of you anxiety stems from certain issues, the combination of medication (which will calm you enough to be able to talk about things) and talking about things, can help get you through this period of your life.

If you are having a fast heart rate due to anxiety, wouldn't it be better to treat the cause of hte fast heart rate i.e. the anxiety, over just treating the symptom of the fast heart rate? i mean sure you are slowing ur heart, but it seems silly as your heart doesn't really have a problem.... its the chemicals in your brain that have the problem.

a pill pushing quack(psychiatrist) tried to put me on seroquel, but id sooner flush that crap down the toilet, one thing that might help your anxiety is self defense training, im a first degree black belt and when i get spooked i can remind myself that if i have to react, i can, and i look for ways to stay away from others as much as possible, the best advice i could give is what we did in class every session, at the beginning and end of the lessons, meditate, breathe in all the way through your nose, exhale slowly through your mouth and picture yourself somewhere else, a beach maybe. you might try having someone you trust with you when you go out, if that person feels safe, it can help you to feel more relaxed instead of nervous.

Hey, I have some news about what happened at the :doctor:docs yesterday - i really do have a rubbish one - she just said - oh u need to just calm down and keep taking ur pill. I have managed to ask for a referral to a counsellor - so i will see how that goes... when i get the letter. But in the mean time i do have two good friends at uni and one really nice receptionist who i speak too... its not exactly leaving my flat... its i just dont like the fact that i'm on my own :( But that will soon change once i move into my new flat :). I just fed up with having the attacks at night time thats all... its as if i'm scared to go to bed because i'm on my own :unsure::o. Mind saying that - i have the one of the only cleaners cupboard in my flat.... so i always have someone wondering through which can cause some problems... I just not sure how i meant to cope at night time :( even though i have my nappy on, dummy, soft toys and my calming music on... i still cant sleep for hours - even though i've been going to bed earlier :(

babymaire

Hi Marie, I am glad you have chosen to share with the world (This forum) you own unique problems.

To be honest, my first panic attacks were during my teenage years, where attack literally could be round any corner of my home town, I had to cross most of it with school being over in the rough area and my home in the opposite area. I would run home using anyone of 5 different routes. Being subject to bullying and physical violence during this time, left me battered and emotionally scarred for life. in my late teens (16-17) when i started to go out and drink, I would find myself in the nightclub behind the sofa's bawling my eyes out and rocking... at house parties, climbing the nearest tree with my chosen beverage and staying there.

Basically, I didnt really cope at all, and really didnt even realise what was happening to me, the way looking back I do today.

My eventual outlet was taking risks, joining the armed forces and trying every dangerous activity available to me, from sub aqua and fencing to boxing, climbing, potholing and mountain rescue. But again, this was not really a coping technique, because later in my life, everything unravelled.

There has only been two situations in my entire adult life where i found serenity and calm... wrapped up in a nappy, and clinging to a rock face.

I have now since been for CBT councilling, taken a MHFA (Mental Health First Aid) course and for the last two months have been volunteering on a NHS mental health ward, talking to the service users, discussing what things have helped me, and encouraging them to find similar creative persuits. Mine are poetry and painting. each allows me to get thoughts and feelings onto paper.

But it could be any form of creative expression, you mention cross stich, this is an excellent pass time to bring you a level of peace, it is quite a simple repeatitive action (Although the patterns themselves and the effects are not) and can be done will listening to misuc, the radio or the tv. Also you end up with stunning pieces of art.

As you may know, I have an undiagnosed condition (Cos the bastards wont tell me, and i dont have the money to find out) but from the several CPN (Community Psychiatric Nurse) it boarders between social anxiety/depression and PTSD. About 10 traumatic events (Some I mentioned above) have affected me and continue to do so even today.

Add to this other stress factors, such as work, bills, family problems, bullying etc and it doesnt take long for the cup to over flow. I find myself currently in one of the worst free falls into misery I have ever experienced with the loss of my mum on the 21st of June, complicated by my parents residing in france these past ten yrs. After a week of hurried arrangments over there I returned to face my 40th birthday a few days later knowing no card from my mum would be sitting on our door mat this year, and never will again.

However, I am at work, I have since been to the ward i volunteer on, and I am not falling apart as my wife expected. This is down to my CBT sessions, my enjoyment of creative things, the support of loved ones and my volunteering. I am messed up, there is no doubt, but i know I am, and i can see the symptoms, I allow them to run their course, knowing they will eventually pass, or become less frequent. I think more than anything, it is this self awearness that has helped. Once you understand a thing, and can recognise a thing, the thing does not hold you in its sway any longer. Yes I will have bad days, yes things constantly remind me of past issues, I understand this will happen and patiently await them to stop.

Now with my MHFA head on:

what you can do if you are having a panic attack:

• If possible, make sure you can relocate to a quieter place, if you are in a public place like a bar, cafe or a supermarket, approaching staff should allow them to lead you to a quiet area, and hopefully help you. IF you are already in a quiet spot, there are things you can do for yourself:

• take slow relaxed breaths, where you breathe in for 3 seconds, hold for 3 seconds and breathe out for 3 seconds (You might find it useful to look at your watches second hand for timing).

• Anyone with training close by I would hope would come to your aid and listen to you nonjudgmentally and assist in helping you.

• It is important to understand that you are experiencing a panic attack, and not something life-threatening such as a heart attack (Without this knowledge your fear that it is something more serious could further add to your distress).

• It is also important to know that with the breathing exercise the attack will soon be over and you will recover fully.

• If someone is with you, they should stay with you until the attack has ceased.

Reference your anxiety:

This is a common disorder, and in no way is it a sign of weakness or a character defect. There is very effective help (All kinds, and it isnt one glove fits all). Skills can be learnt to reduce the effects of stress and anxiety. Anxiety can as we both know be unpleasent, but it is rarely harmful.

You have already started on your journey by going to see your GP, if you dont find them very sympathetic, get a second opinion and a third etc, until you ar satisfied you are being given the best chance of recovery. The GP should be able to guide you twards some self help strategies, arrange for medication or counselling and support as required.

There are various self help stratagies you can explore:

• Anxiety is best overcome by facing the underlying fears, whatever they maybe (Sometimes finding out what they are is an important part of the puzzle)

• The quicker the fears are confronted, the sooner they will get better

• Reduce caffine intake to about 300mg or less per day (I can tell you some genral food and drink levels if you so need it)

• Engage in a regular Physical activity of at least 30 min five times a week (I havent practice what this says myself) it can be gardening, or walking to the shops.

• engage in leasure time and peasurable activities

• get adequate sleep (Another one of my failings)

• Practice controlled breathing methods (3 seconds)

• Identify and challenge exaggerated worries and pssimistic thoughts (This one is a right eye opener, once you get used to it)

• Be aware that avoiding the feared situation allows the anxiety or fear to grow even stronger.

• follow a set of specific steps to help overcome the fear or phobia.

• remember that treating yourself is hard work but can be very successful. Panic during self treatment shows that you are beginning to confront your fear.

• Use evidence based anxiety websites or self help books (I can help with some)

• Talk to people about your anxiety problems.

OK a lot of the above is from my MHFA book, I am not some genius, but hopefully it will help non the less. And you can always talk to me or quite a few others that frequent the chat, there are some very nice caring, heart felt people on this forum willing to help others.

Cheers lass

Fozzy

xx

....Once you understand a thing, and can recognise a thing, the thing does not hold you in its sway any longer. Yes I will have bad days, yes things constantly remind me of past issues, I understand this will happen and patiently await them to stop....

Especially this ;) The hardest thing to do in life is cope with your own issues- and we all have issues :( My depression can sneak up on me if I'm not watching for it's signs. If I see it coming I can hang on and fight it till it passes- the extra 'warning time' gives me time to build the strength I need to do that :mf_swordfight: I understand it, therefore it cannot sneak up on me. That has allowed me to stay off the meds which screwed me up as badly or worse than the depression did, but if it ever gets beyond my ability to keep it at bay on my own, those resources are still there for me and I will take on an ally in them to win and keep going B) If you can find the things that trigger anxiety and avoid them or deal with them better, your life will be better. And if you can't go it alone then take the help offered so long as it does help :) If it doesn't help tell the Doc and try something else till you get the help you need.

Always here for you,

Bettypooh

Thank you guys, That does make me feel better. My doctors phoned me up this morning - and have arranged for me to see the counsellor - tomorrow morning at 9am. So hopefully this session will help me sort some of these silly fears and worries out! I do over worry about things which i know is one of the worst things and being alone doesn't help. But i'm hoping the counsellor will help me - and i'm going to ask one of my friends to come to see the doctor with me on friday afternoon - to get my propranolol changed - as it got lactose in and doing my IBS in :(

I am ready for a change i think and a small decision maybe wrong i'm not sure - of wearing all the time.... might in fact help the situation. we shall see :)

I'll keep you updated after tomorrows trip to the counsellor - which i asked for

babymaire

Hey guys, I've seen a psychologist today and she has recomended that i have CBT counselling as my anxiety and slight depression are quite bad and she said it would help resolve issues. Mind i've got a long wait :( but i think this is the right plan of action... at least i've gone to see someone about it. i mentioned my lil marie side and she said that its just - The "Inner Child" which i suppose is slightly right but also i know deep down that it cant just be that. Oh well we shall see what happends :)

babymaire

• 1 month later...

meds are a good tool as well.

I suffer from outrageously bad panic attacks.... the after effects border on catatonia. My psychiatrist has me on an emergency pill of Klonopin and another anti-depressant(both very cost effective, I'm sure your health system would agree). I first got diagnosed in 2008, and nowdays everything is way better. As long as you are seeing someone about it, you are doing it right!

Sometimes when I have to take my meds, slip on a diaper and just say to myself "everything is gonna be ok today"