LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Cloth Diapers For Beginers

I was thinking there there should be a sticky topic on here that had all the tips for people trying cloth for the fist time. It would have changing tips, washing tips, and product suggestions for people wants and needs.

For example, i like disposable for the clean up; and being in an apartment i dont want to wash cloth diapers in an communal laundry. I do however want the bulk of a thick terry. So i thought of wearing a terry over my disposable, but tge only cloth i have tried was super thin. So were can i get 1 cloth diaper that is really thick so i dont have to wear 4 disposables.

The trick to washing cloth diapers in a communal laundry is to go late at night like I did back in the early 90's

Also in their heyday, the art of changing cloth diapers was an overwhelmingly feminie practice, comming from playing with dolls and learing such skills while the boys were learing skills more relevent to what they would be doing

Well its not just that its the convenience of the clean up. Im not looking to "change" my ways you could say, im thinking a pinned topic would be nice that has different suggestions for different situations.

As for me im not looking to use it, im looking for the bulk. Again i tried some before....the velcro for babykins i think...and it was so thin. I WAS looking at adultclothdiaper.com's custom sizes but you have to buy 6 which was about $250.....money i dont have

Have you thought about trying babypants? I heard they are pretty good and you dont have to buy in bulk and they are pretty thick from what I hear.

Either baby pants, which are all Birdseye fabric (no terry filler) or Changingtimes diaper co, which carries a 'twill 4x10x4 diaper that is just outstanding! :thumbsup:

Baby pants is also movig towards carrying gauze and twill as well along with contour fit diapers, which will be nice ;) These all seem to be really well priced as well.

The ones from changing times though....WOW! I R*E*A*L*L*Y like (love :wub: ) these because they are thin enough for day time under my jeans with not 'to much' bulk, but also thick enough for night, especially if doubled up. doubling up these suckers makes for a REALLY bulky and secure diaper combo. They are amazingly soft and comfy..I wish I could wear them all the time :blush: but work and other stuff prohibits that......currently.

Anyways, take a look at both baby pants and CTDC (http://www.changingtimesdiaperco.com/) and go from there.

ADC is OK as well, but you have to consider that they use a terry 'filler' in the center panel which causes longer drying times etc. I have several of their diapers in both birdseye and gauze, and enjoy them, but for somoe reason the twill ones just totally rock my world :blush:

Cloth is great for bulk, yet you have to futz with it a bit to find what *YOU* like, just as I did. CTDC allows yo to buy 1 or how eve many you want, which again is nice, and if you are an occasional wearer, and like bulk, then maybe just get 2-3 of them and they will last a VERY long time. A better idea might be to get 1 in your size to wear when and where you want, and then get 1-2 a size smaller for a 'stuffer' for night time, or not....it's up to you.

But tis is something that you have to shop around for and think about and crunch some numbers.

Disposables are difficult to 'bulk up" unless your using dry 24/7's.....and a stuffer, which you really don't need with those. But for true bulk and economy of reuse, cloth is the only way to go....so to speak :P

Another alternative is granite smith on Ebay, he sells birdseye and gauze adult size diapers in sngle ply that you nage to fold. I think 12 diapers are around $20 or so, buy a few dozen and fold 'em how you want and like, and save money on laundry and diapers ;) This only works though if you don't mind folding diapers....something that I got tired of years ago. So prefolds are my road to happiness...but again, thats just me.

Shop and experiment and keep working on it, you will eventually find what makes you happy :) then go on from there..

Hope this helps!

yes thank you this information is helpfull. as to the sizing im unsure, i have a 34 waist so im think 2 large size (on both websites) would work.

and as for plastic pants the Gerber White in medium (yes just for the noise aspect)....right?

Well, you 'can' get larges... but I have a 36-38 waist and wear mediums, which fit well. The Ones from CTDC are over sized, so you still need to fold them (length and width) or at least the ones from Rearz (canadian) are over sized, but the same style of 'Twill" diaper/

Again, it all depends on what you want. Larges would be a bit much, but thats just me, maybe thats what you are looking for, for total bulk and coverage. Also, check the size charts on the sites, they might give you washed sizes AND post wash sizes, to account for shrinkage. Thats why I wear mediums....they fit.

As for plastic pants, thats you choice. There are a LOT of plastic pants out there, and if you go with the large diapers, you have to have something that will cover all that material. So you might choose a high waist style ..etc. baby pants has Gary pants, which I hear are supposed to be good...Don't know I've not tried them. Again, check around, leak master pants from ADC might work out as well, or anything from plastic pants.com.

Ebay has plastic pants as well from a variety of sellers as does Amazon..so it's just better to shop around for what *YOU* want.

For the large diapers though, with a 34 waist, I think you would be swimming in them, as thats a LOT of material to try and pin and adjust to fit right, but who knows...I am sure it's been done ;)

If you don't have one, get a cloth measuring tape, and practice with some bath towels you have around. Look at measurements on the sites and duplicate that with the towels and see how they fit and what might work better before you spend $$$$ as many of these canot be returned. That way you will have a better idea of what might fit and fill your desire rather than making a mistake and then having to order something else.

Hope this helps :)

OK, stupid me :blush: I just re-read your OP and you are looking for 1 THICK diaper to wear over your disposable(s) <DUR> I am presuming then that you wont be 'using' the cloth one, other then for the 'bulk' factor and will be 'using' the disposable inside.......Soooooo I thought for a second and ADC has a 'special order" page where you can order something the way *YOU* want it, as thick as they can make it. that link is here:

http://www.adultclothdiaper.com/PRODUCTS_2/SPECIAL-ORDERS_2/Custom_Fitted_Adult_Prefolds

I don't think angelfluff has this option, but I didn't look that hard at their pages

Now this is a bit extreme...or...well, for me anyways, but it is an option of you wish to go down this road. I enjoy bulk as well, but in my own way. You mentioned that you would be wearing this over a disposable....but not how many, so maybe a large would work for you I don't know, going only by this thread.

Again though, if thats all you will be using it for, it will still need to be washed....occasionally, and be prepared for a LONG dry time, as the more material there is the more water it soaks up that needs to be dried out.

Just another thought :blush:

go to Walmart and go to the bedding department and buy yourself a "single" size flannel bed sheet.

Next go online to locate how to fold a diaper.....there are several methods and, truly, it's the only way to get a custom fit.

fold and pin diaper on yourself.

Estimated cost under $10

cloth diapers are traditionally gauze, birdseye, terry, or flannel. Flannel is soft and absorbent but not as long lasting as others.

Laundry is just as simple as washing your towels or other bed linens. Nobody suspects a sheet blanket being used as a diaper.

Amazon has the high-back LeakMaster plastic pants. These should take the bulk and prevent any leaks. Wash you plastic pants in your apartment and hang dry.

If you try flannel bed sheets or terry towels, folded to fit, and you do not like them or don't use them often, they can sit in your closet and nobody suspects how you use them .

HAPPINESS IS WEARING COTTON DIAPERS

I was thinking there there should be a sticky topic on here that had all the tips for people trying cloth for the fist time. It would have changing tips, washing tips, and product suggestions for people wants and needs.

For example, i like disposable for the clean up; and being in an apartment i dont want to wash cloth diapers in an communal laundry. I do however want the bulk of a thick terry. So i thought of wearing a terry over my disposable, but tge only cloth i have tried was super thin. So were can i get 1 cloth diaper that is really thick so i dont have to wear 4 disposables.

I wouldn't worry about it. I use to wash mine an a public laundry, in the middle of the day. The laundramat was just up the street from the Ohio State University. Nobody ever bothered me. That was in the late 1970's

Currently, I am working on a sewing book that has a chapter in it regarding making cloth diapers and waterproof pants. Sorry the book isn't publication-ready just yet. However, there is a lot of useful information on how to fold cloth diapers. I buy diaper flannel from a fabric supplier and cut it to fit. The fabric I use is 27" wide. One yard in length (which is actually 37" from my supplier) is sufficient to make one diaper. I fold over the top and bottom (front and rear) edges and zigzag stitch them to prevent fraying.

One layer is generally not absorbent enough for a heavy wetting, but if you wet frequently and gently, a single diaper is good for a couple hours. Doubling a diaper helps, as does using a soaker layer--a diaper folded in thirds and placed down the middle of the outer diaper. Plain terry cloth fabric is another option as it absorbs a lot. Layers of different types of fabric sandwiched together create a great system. Original diaper fabric--called Birdseye--is also available.

Since I have a sewing machine, it is easy for me to make waterproof pants out of polyurethane laminate, or PUL. It is a plastic-y laminated fabric that breathes, but moisture will not pass through it.

I'm hoping to be finished with the sewing book within the next couple of months. It was a big undertaking. For anyone interested, it is called Sissies' Guide to Simple Sewing and has instructions for making patterns and little girl clothes that fit adults. As I said, there is one chapter dedicated to diapers that shows diaper materials, how to fold and pin them, how to prepare and wash them, and how to make waterproof pants.

• Like 1

well if you want the ultimate in luxury you can order from AngelFluff the Ultimate 3 which comes with waist band and leg elastic and they are 69.95 but for 8 dollars more you can double the flannel and 4 $ gets you 2 extra soakers sewn in to the diaper and it has great elastic no fussing with pins you just have to leave room for the under diaper when giving your measurements . Basically wear a Abena or Molicare top of the line when doing your measurements don't use a depends or walgreens own or something you want the ability to wear as large or small a disposable as you want. JMHO