LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

More People Struggling With Bladder Control: Study

(Reuters Health) - An increasing number of people say they are dealing with incontinence, according to a new survey of nearly 20,000 U.S. adults.

In particular, the number of women over age 20 who reported leaking urine during the previous 12 months increased from less than 50 percent of those surveyed in 2001 to more than 53 percent several years later.

Incontinence is incredibly common among women -- largely because the biggest risk factor is vaginal childbirth, explained study researcher Dr. Holly Richter of the University of Alabama at Birmingham's division of women's pelvic medicine and reconstructive surgery.

In addition, hormonal changes, weight gain and conditions that affect the pelvic floor such as chronic cough can all lead to problems with bladder control.

"The main issue is that the normal support to the urethra, the tube leading from the bladder, is impaired," explained Richter, "and with increases in bladder pressure, the urethra is not able to 'hold back' urine."

Looking more closely at the results, Richter and her colleagues found that the increase in urinary incontinence (UI) among women is partially explained by the fact that more women are older and have chronic illnesses that increase their risk, such as diabetes and obesity.

As a result, even if UI has become a problem for more people, there is something they can do about it, Richter told Reuters Health. Specifically, she said in an email, preventing obesity and diabetes, or managing diabetes once it occurs, "can be implemented to help decrease the risk of UI occurrence, thus decreasing its significant negative impact on quality of life."

Even men experienced an increase in UI during the study period -- from 12 percent to more than 15 percent.

However, the researchers found that the increases among men are not entirely a result of concurrent increases in obesity, diabetes, and prostate disease. Instead, male changes in UI "may be due to other factors that were not identified in this study including other medical (conditions) or lifestyle factors," Richter explained.

During the study, reported in the Journal of Urology, Richter and her team reviewed information collected from 17,850 adults 20 and older during national surveys conducted in 2001-2002 and then again in 2007-2008.

People were considered to have incontinence if they said within the last 12 months they had leaked urine while coughing, lifting, or during any type of activity, or when they could not reach the toilet fast enough.

It's quite possible, Richter acknowledged, that the rate of UI is actually much higher than that reported in the study. "This along with bowel incontinence can be a very embarrassing issue for women and result in the patient denying its existence to friends, family and healthcare providers."

In the published report, Richter acknowledged affiliations with Astellas, IDEO, Pfizer and Uromedica, companies behind drugs that treat bladder conditions.

This is information reviewed from adult professing to have problems. Many people deny they have a problem until the problem is such they really don't have much alternative but to seek help; suggesting the numbers are likely to be even higher.

This is information reviewed from adult professing to have problems. Many people deny they have a problem until the problem is such they really don't have much alternative but to seek help; suggesting the numbers are likely to be even higher.

that is right but more so for men

... male changes in UI "may be due to other factors that were not identified in this study including other medical (conditions) or lifestyle factors....

Yea, like from being an AB/DL and making a conscious decision to be incontinent. Our numbers are increasing!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

DailyDi,

I am not disputing your word, but within this text is a glaring inconsistency....

"The main issue is that the normal support to the urethra, the tube leading from the bladder, is impaired," explained Richter, "and with increases in bladder pressure, the urethra is not able to 'hold back' urine."

The urethra is not supposed to 'hold back' urine. That is the function of the internal and external urethral sphincter muscles. The urethra is a tube that connects the bladder neck to the urethral opening.

The problem that occurs in the female urinary system occurs during child bearing when the child is mobile and close to term. At this stage, the female bladder is reduced due to the space the unborn baby occupies. As a result, the internal sphincter does not get triggered to open as normal and remains closed. Once the unborn baby moves within the womb, extra, and usually instant pressure is placed on the bladder which causes the internal sphincter to spasm, and lock open. The external sphincter usually doesn't react in time (close fast enough) which results in leakage. Since the internal sphincter is in spasm, it relaxes in the open position. This is normally not a problem once the external sphincter is closed, but without the internal sphincter triggering the sequence, the external sphincter will revert to infantile behaviour, and will open as soon as urine enters the bladder. The correct solution for this is to re-initiate toilet training after childbirth, which will allow the internal sphincter to close and trigger accordingly. However, in most cases, this is not a feasible option due to the stress injury that the woman encountered during childbirth - and the cocktail of self created nerve suppressors within the woman's bloodstream.

After childbirth, it will take about 28 days for all supressors to exit the bloodstream - which usually causes post partum depression - as the body tries to readjust. This is the exact same symptoms a drug user will encounter while detoxing.

It is not until this has past, that it is even worthwhile trying to re initiate toilet training. However, due to the time periods involved, for some females, the relevant muscles have atrophied.

To avoid this, it is better to use diapers that give instant feedback to the wearer when wet once that urinary incontinence is discovered.- ie thin cloth diapers. Unfortunately, due to the stigma that some people have about wetting themselves, the urinary problems are normally not discussed. This means that once a person admits that they have a problem, it is usually too late to do anything about it.

In my opinion, the introduction and widespread availability of adult disposable diapers / female disposable absorbent underwear, has not only created the problem, but will continue to increase the amount of dependant female diaper dependent adults.

Prior to disposable diapers, when a woman with a new birth stated to notice urine leakage, cloth pads were used - which by the usage of cloth (cleaning cloths etc) gave bot instant feedback of the event.

In my opinion, the introduction and widespread availability of adult disposable diapers / female disposable absorbent underwear, has not only created the problem, but will continue to increase the amount of dependant female diaper dependent adults.

Have to admit I rather like the thought of there being more diaper dependent young-ish women around, although I guess it's not much fun for them except perhaps in the unlikely event that they were "one of us" already... still, I'd guess that not too many are left completely incontinent and having to wear full adult nappies 24/7 after giving birth, that's more likely to be in the cases of most severe complications, but light leakage requiring nothing more than a pad or maybe pull-up incontinence panties is seemingly very common and might not always be treated. Even those who do actually end up in nappies I imagine will usually be out of them before their child is, though there must be some mothers who are the last one in their family still wearing them... I wonder how you potty train a child if you have to wear nappies all the time yourself and they obviously will see you in them?

Have to admit I rather like the thought of there being more diaper dependent young-ish women around, although I guess it's not much fun for them except perhaps in the unlikely event that they were "one of us" already... still, I'd guess that not too many are left completely incontinent and having to wear full adult nappies 24/7 after giving birth, that's more likely to be in the cases of most severe complications, but light leakage requiring nothing more than a pad or maybe pull-up incontinence panties is seemingly very common and might not always be treated. Even those who do actually end up in nappies I imagine will usually be out of them before their child is, though there must be some mothers who are the last one in their family still wearing them... I wonder how you potty train a child if you have to wear nappies all the time yourself and they obviously will see you in them?

I may have slightly mislead people to believe that this problem is more common than it is. This problem is one of the many complications of child bearing / child birth of the older female (greater than 35+). It is rare for a younger female to experience this type of complication, and that is due to the elasticity of the bladder and associated sphincters.