LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Constant Pestering For Chairty Donations

Although I don't want to take anything away from the principal or key message of this thread (we should help those in need - especially those who have suffered such misfortune as those in Japan), I feel I should point out that that we are getting hammered with requests for charity donations in the UK at the moment; and many of them are using dodgy methods - either through desperation or ignorance. I recognise this is very much an international forum, but ... frankly this is something I want to get of my chest anyway.

Keep in mind if you do the "donate via text" thing in the UK, you can often get hit on the mobile phone network charges on top of the donation (from a landline it's normally ok, but "call XXXXXX to donate £2" can end up costing you £4; e.g. for comic relief earlier today - advertised on a major UK radio network - it was £2 for the donation (to the charity) and £2 for the premium rate text message profit for Orange/T-Mobile/Vodaphone/Three/Whatever-network-it-was). Personally I've also noticed a big increase in chuggers* on the streets (due to councils and central government cutting back funding), and we have a lot more people collecting outside stores and a resurgence of TV ads for charities retorting to emotional blackmail.

I already donate every month out of my salary (UK peeps - use Gift Aid - its tax free), I put most of my low value change into charity boxes in stores (if they are there) and I get hit with a heavy council tax bill considering what little services I ever use that they are responsible for (directly or otherwise) ... so I would like to think I'm justified in this post, not justifying being a right Scrooge.

Once again, I'm not trying to take anything away from the charities who desperately need funding, but simply to vent my frustration at the constant pestering I, and others in the UK, seem to be getting from charities of late.

That being said, please remember to donate to the charities you feel most strongly for, they really are about to have a very difficult few years.

* -- A slang term here for "charity muggers". These are people who stop you in the street and trying to get you to sign up to a direct-debit for the charity who are paying them to stand in the street and harass people.

• Like 1

I only donate to charities I trust to use the money for the right things (RedCross, Salvation Army, etc.) My cell network (AT&T) charges no fees on the donation other than standard text message rates and I get 200 messages free a month and use about 5 :)

On a similar note: The other day I was getting gas when a young couple in a pickup asked for help getting gas as they were completely out. I had no cash, so I swiped my debit card and told them to get what they needed. I expected they would fill the tank at a cost of $40 or so bucks. Checked my bank today and found they charged a total of six dollars. That impressed me, they appreciated the help enough to take only what they HAD to have to get home. Bolstered my faith in people a bit.

Red nose day and children in need...ARGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHH

I don't leave the house those days. Getting accosted every three steps to give money is so annoying

Charities that are ran as businesses and end up giving a pittence of the collected cash. Paying some lord or ministers wife £50k wages to organise a party a couple of times a year isn't a charity either i'd give to either. Too many of the big charities give too little of their collected cash.

Kids and animals only ones that get my money and they are small 100% goes out affairs. Well except the shoebox xmas appeal which is no cash involved just bung gifts into a shoe box wrap and hand over to local collection point. Family do a few of those every year.

I've also noticed a big increase in chuggers* on the streets (due to councils and central government cutting back funding), and we have a lot more people collecting outside stores

The thing about chuggers that a lot don't realise is that if you set up a donation through one of them, more often than not, you're routing your donation through a third party, which takes a (large!) flat fee per recruitment. Unless you stick with the monthly donation for at least a year, the charity is actually losing money to the company who recruited you, which is f'ing disgraceful (source). You're much better off sending your chosen charity a cheque in the post or if you want to go Direct Debit, set it up directly through their own fundraising department (again, remember to Gift Aid it if you're eligible) and make sure you're actually dealing with the charity themselves, not some outsourced donation processing company who profit from your generosity.

I haven't seen a chugger in what, almost four years now. Long may it continue :lol:. For our American friends, think Girl Scouts outside Walmart, but on steroids and approaching you as you walk down the street. They're normally about 20 years old, annoyingly over-enthusiastic, and often almost aggressively try to make eye contact and engage you with bull like "do you want to stop [child/animal/etc] abuse?!" as you walk down the street (no matter how much you try and avoid them - they also get paid per recruitment, AFAIK). Seriously, seriously annoying :bash:

Well, just ignore it.. i mean tv adverts, magazine adverts, radio ads, even links on here... just dont read em, don't listen to em..

as the OP said, he donates, so why let it get to you.... you clearly got the message..... but there are many many people out there who need constant reminders that they can afford to donate.....

on that note.. please go here http://www.dailydiapers.com/board/index.php?showtopic=26479

Couldn't agree more with you Sarah_ab, we do need reminding.

Unfortunately though, they do harrass you and often work in gangs too, so that if one doesn't get you then the next will, or even the next person. If you're really unlucky they'll all get you so you have to go through the same thing two or three times over.

I don't think there's many people that don't give to charity, I do gladly when I can. But when we get bothered by these people it gets really annoying. They don't like to let you go regardless of whether you're a high earner or a dependent (I recently had one ask me to bring my husband down when I told him I relied on his income so that he could donate). If you tell them that you already donate they ask for proof. Ignoring them isn't easy when they won't let you go about your business. If you try to step around them they side step with their arms out to block you from passing. In my opinion (and it is only that), some of them are borderline abusive, they're argumentative and very intimidating.

Doesn't send out a very good image for the charities they represent!

I have the belief that the best way to donate to charity is by actually giving up your free time to help. I know not everyone can do that, but this way, you guarantee that your donation isn't spent on overhead. Donating to charity doesn't mean just giving money to those overseas, it is exactly what DailyDi did: someone was in need of assistance and he offered whatever it took to meet their needs and them some.

I have the belief that the best way to donate to charity is by actually giving up your free time to help. I know not everyone can do that, but this way, you guarantee that your donation isn't spent on overhead. Donating to charity doesn't mean just giving money to those overseas, it is exactly what DailyDi did: someone was in need of assistance and he offered whatever it took to meet their needs and them some.

These people clearly needed the help, but in "Can I get a buck or two" situations I always go by my belief that I would rather assume they will misuse the money - but give it to them anyway - than risk not giving it to someone who really was in need of a meal/gas/help.

While I am not an overly religious person or regular church-goer, the song "What If Jesus Comes Back Like That" by Collin Rays sums up how I try to look at people.

These people clearly needed the help, but in "Can I get a buck or two" situations I always go by my belief that I would rather assume they will misuse the money - but give it to them anyway - than risk not giving it to someone who really was in need of a meal/gas/help.

While I am not an overly religious person or regular church-goer, the song "What If Jesus Comes Back Like That" by Collin Rays sums up how I try to look at people.

Very good song, but it always instills fear in me. I know I am not up to the standards of what I should be.

I am poor so my relief efforts come through helping those in need. I can't give money to the Salvation Army so when I can I will volunteer. I spent two winters giving up my friday nights to babysit the homless shelter. You do what you can and don't feel guilty if you can't. The only thing that annoys me is the damn highschoolers pestering me outside my local stop n shop every week. I don't care if your raising money to go to italy for your senior trip. Welcome to real life 101, people don't give a @@#$! I would love to go shopping and not be harassed at every entrance and exit for something but I digress. Charities are okay as long as you know how the money is being spent. 60/40 is not good enough for me.

Any of the donation organizations who show up on college campuses are scam artists. They are worse and more persistent than Mormons sometimes, who are also scam artists. Save the Children, more like take money from the children. Back when I was in college, they asked me over ten times to set up a $20/month subscription. No way could I afford charities when all the money I had was from loans, of course when I graduated from college, I donated some of the left over money to the University.

I am sure most of you have also heard the 'Susan G. Komen for the Cure' organization, which takes donations for research that helps cure breast cancer, has filed over a hundred lawsuits against other donation organizations which had 'for the Cure' in their name. They spent millions of dollars doing this. I am never donating even a cent to these guys again ever. This just goes to show that even donating organizations with good reputations must be treated with skepticism. Once you donate money to any organization, you cannot track it. You never know where it will end up.

I don't think I will ever give money to beggars on the street, but I have offered food on several occasions, and most of the time they turn it down.

I am sure most of you have also heard the 'Susan G. Komen for the Cure' organization, which takes donations for research that helps cure breast cancer, has filed over a hundred lawsuits against other donation organizations which had 'for the Cure' in their name. They spent millions of dollars doing this. I am never donating even a cent to these guys again ever. This just goes to show that even donating organizations with good reputations must be treated with skepticism. Once you donate money to any organization, you cannot track it. You never know where it will end up.

Has anybody told Robert Smith? I'm pretty sure he'd like to have words with them. XD

Predatory "charities" are, to say the least, evil. They're as bad as, if not worse, than the people taking advantage of the ignorance of Americans on the West Coast right now, attempting to sell them iodine pills with the snake-oil-esque tactics and fearmongering. They should all be spending the rest of their natural lives in prison, in my opinion.

Personally, I donated $50 to the cause through a friend of mine who owns an independent record label. Because I know his charity practices (intimately, as a friend of his) I can say for certain that I know where the money is going.

I only donate to charities I trust to use the money for the right things (RedCross, Salvation Army, etc.) My cell network (AT&T) charges no fees on the donation other than standard text message rates and I get 200 messages free a month and use about 5 :)

On a similar note: The other day I was getting gas when a young couple in a pickup asked for help getting gas as they were completely out. I had no cash, so I swiped my debit card and told them to get what they needed. I expected they would fill the tank at a cost of $40 or so bucks. Checked my bank today and found they charged a total of six dollars. That impressed me, they appreciated the help enough to take only what they HAD to have to get home. Bolstered my faith in people a bit.

It's good to know there are still "good people" around.:)