LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Starting Home Repairs

DailyDi

Good references, clean BBB record and all the right licenses and insurance.

Doing 50K worth of work, but doing it in staged - and paying in stages to make sure it all gets done right.

Guest TBinthehoodie

no those are the good ones i work with my step dad in masonry (concrete) and we my look amature but the work is far better then a company that charges more for a half ass job

So today we have a tree company coming to take down two trees that are threatening to take our house out - which also makes room for the first crews who have to tear off our back porch, replace the exposed lumber on our house that is rotting, then build a new deck that is actually constructed correctly.

Meanwhile I have to completely empty two closets and toss or store enough stuff to fit it in a single closet, so the Den closet's content can be moved to the now open one. Then completely empty said den of thousands of books, a freezer and floor-to-ceiling bookcases so eventually the entire den floor and closet can be ripped out and replaced, down to the joists and studs and rebuilt.

... and this is just stage one.

Sounds like the work is extensive! :o Be sure that the main tree roots left behind aren't underneath any foundations- as they decay over time with the trees gone, whatever is resting on them will fall :angry2: If the tree guy thinks they're going under something important, see if the contractor can get them removed with the space left filled and compacted :mellow:

It might be worth doubling the joists or adding a small beam under where the heavy book cases and freezer are going to be at ;) $40 bucks in lumber and very little more time will keep the floor and you happy for years to come :D

Remember that "built to code" means it's at an absolute minimum and intended for average use, better to err on the "more than code" side and know you're trouble-free from now on :thumbsup:

Don't worry about personal appearance so much in construction- look at the appearance of the work left behind and the attitude of the craftsmen doing it, and see if that appears good B) And don't ask for a drug test- they might score 100% :roflmao:

Bettypooh

• Like 1

Yes, we are aiming for way above code. The new back deck is being built to be "close'in" ready as we're debating making it a sunroom. Steel post supports, full joists and a finished roof. Basically we'd just have to take the handrails down and put in windows to finish it.

7AM and the tree service is back finishing up their work. So much for a little sleep! lol.

I got all the closet moves done, today I have to do the books in the den (grumble!) and get a plumber out here to deal with a leaking pipe we found when inspecting everything before the work began.

so eventually the entire den floor and closet can be ripped out and replaced, down to the joists and studs and rebuilt.

... and this is just stage one.

See?? This is what happens when you pee on the floor or your diaper leaks a lot over time! :P You been a naughty boy peeing in the closet too huh???

I guess thats why they are called 'water closets" in europe! :roflmao:

Good luck with all that, it sounds like way to much work. I have been doing much of my own stuff at home (replace garbage disposal, replace bathroom sink, angle stops and faucet, rebuild the shower enclosure doors, replace the water heater) it's a lot of work, but worth it in the end. Hope you enjoy your new home when its all done! :)

....and get a plumber out here to deal with a leaking pipe we found when inspecting everything before the work began.

Microscope the plumbing, wiring, and mechanicals before covering them up- going back into a finished wall sucks and the repair never seems to be invisible when completed :(

Bettypooh

Yes, we are aiming for way above code. -- and get a plumber out here to deal with a leaking pipe we found when inspecting everything before the work began.

Better safe than sorry later going with the minium code like some do. Uncle did heating & air always figured alittle bigger than minium unit. That way it would not run all the time.-- Plumber-- get him to check all the pipes. If old steel pipes maybe better to replace now. Everytime I fixed 1 leak with new pipe it leaked in another; till I replaced all the plumbing. Make sure to put cut-offs on every water line HOT & Cold.

Plumbing well is a whole subject in itself, and new codes require service shut-offs on almost every line which is a VERY good idea :thumbsup: This is done on new houses with a "manifold" which puts the branch line valves all in one place- another win :)

Were it me, if it wasn't copper I'd yank it out and run PEX throughout, or at least wherever supply pipes were uncovered during the work. That stuff is awesome, cheap, easy to work with quickly, and the piping itself is freeze-proof though the fittings aren't. I'm old-fashioned, but this is a newer technology that is far better than anything before :D

Bettypooh

Rather than mess with the old rusty line, we just left that underground and ran a new PEX line from the meter to the house.

Overall problem was the lack of a pressure regulator, so we had full city pressure stressing our pipes and fixtures. Water heater pressure valve had to be replaced as well as the kitchen faucets that were completely blown out and vibrating when we turned on the tap.

Rather than mess with the old rusty line, we just left that underground and ran a new PEX line from the meter to the house.

Overall problem was the lack of a pressure regulator, so we had full city pressure stressing our pipes and fixtures. Water heater pressure valve had to be replaced as well as the kitchen faucets that were completely blown out and vibrating when we turned on the tap.

Sheesh! you might want to just buy a new house! :P

Have fun!

If replacing insulation, you might be able to get a rebate for your electric company?

I know in so cal they have tons of rebates for getting more energy efficient appliances, windows, ect....

If replacing insulation, you might be able to get a rebate for your electric company?

I know in so cal they have tons of rebates for getting more energy efficient appliances, windows, ect....

YEa there are, but be prepared for a LOT of paperwork to get the rebates...I think the one I did had like 10 pages of stuff you had to read and fill out >.< we got the rebate, but they do make you jump through a few hoops to get it, it's not just a simple application and done.

good luck. :)