LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Iphone Vs Androis Vs Blackberry

DailyDi

Without texting my wife would never know when I was coming home from the office (she can't call me as I'm usually in meetings), and my admin would never find me......two example of how I use this technology both at home and at the office.

Calling information! LOL can't recall the last time I did that!

Smart phones aren't for everyone....for me they make my day easier and I get a ton more done.

sure you can do lots of things on your computer, ipod, read a book, use a calendar, get a phone book... but a smart phone lets you carry all of those things in one devide pocket sized.. so instead of carrying around a laptop, ipod, book, calendar book and a phone book, you carry just one small device.

sides, you look so cool when you are using your smart phone to obsessively check your facebook account.

sure you can do lots of things on your computer, ipod, read a book, use a calendar, get a phone book... but a smart phone lets you carry all of those things in one devide pocket sized.. so instead of carrying around a laptop, ipod, book, calendar book and a phone book, you carry just one small device.

sides, you look so cool when you are using your smart phone to obsessively check your facebook account.

LOL Sarah.

I ask the "smart" phone users this: Can you write a full scale application and compile it to every OS using it? :P

There is no such thing as one size fits all for tech, phones will never be as capable or as powerful as laptops ... laptops will never be as durable and powerful as desktops (the original name for the big ones) ... just when someone gets more elitist than us Linux users ... there is something wrong with them, and we're borderline obsessed with our OS. (not all, just a lot of us) Also, with a laptop you don't need anything else really, even a phone. ;) There are ultimately benefits and drawbacks to every tech device, even phones or "ultra portable" devices. However not everyone likes being connected to people 24/7 .... especially the fake connection of phones or even the internet. I like the internet connection because it's fake, if I was really around this many people in real life as much as I am online (which I was for a few years) I'd go postal (which I almost did several times during those years). Phones, email, even snail mail is all just a buffer zone really, for everyone. I see people texting someone they are sitting right next to all the time now ...

I ask the "smart" phone users this: Can you write a full scale application and compile it to every OS using it? :P

Talk about your non sequiturs... that's like saying "can a you give yourself a pedicure using a kettle?".

I'm not sure what point you were trying to make, but whatever it is... you've not brought it across particularly well o_o

Talk about your non sequiturs... that's like saying "can a you give yourself a pedicure using a kettle?".

I'm not sure what point you were trying to make, but whatever it is... you've not brought it across particularly well o_o

In other words: It can't do everything.

It's an "and" device ~ it's not supposed to do everything. You own a computer and a smart phone. Why does a smartphone need to be expected to replace a computer? It enhances the tasks you carry out on a computer ~ particularly the social ones ~ by expanding upon the places you can do them. It's really that simple ♥

It's an "and" device ~ it's not supposed to do everything. You own a computer and a smart phone. Why does a smartphone need to be expected to replace a computer? It enhances the tasks you carry out on a computer ~ particularly the social ones ~ by expanding upon the places you can do them. It's really that simple ♥

Meh, that's not what bothered me, it was the snippiness of the l33t that did. ;) To many people it doesn't enhance anything really, it just gives a temporary substitute for those rare times your plans don't work out. On the IRC gamer geek channel I hang out on, two people have smart phones, only one uses it for IRC chatting more than once a week (Android) and that's more of a game than actual chatting ... to see if he can type five lines without a "smart" typo. The other one just got their iPhone because it was his work paying for it and wanted to see what all the hype was ... they game on PC (a waste of a computer IMO ... but meh) and can't stand such small scale games that portable devices have, they even make jokes about my love of the Nintendo DS ... which actually are funny usually. I could never get anything done without a full size keyboard, it would be impossible, if you hadn't noticed I'm long winded and type a LOT. "Autocomplete" is a joke, no matter how advanced it gets there's no way a tech device could guess at what you're typing when you type a lot. AI is just not even close to that advanced on full powered computers and there's no way anything with less than a few gig RAM and terrabyte hard drive could run a full AI, which would be required for something viable like that.

As for "social" tasks on a computer, IRC is the most social I get, this being the second ... and I only come to this forum (the only forum I go to) when I'm taking a break from whatever project I am currently working on. ;) I despise Failbook ... and MySpace is like blocks for webdesigners.

Actually, I think devices like the iPhone and the Android platform will probably supersede the antiquated notion of the bespoke mobile gaming device before too long ~ Nintendo, for example, see Apple as their most serious competitor in the hand-held arena. And shure, there is a lot of shovelware out there but the notion of breaking down the big development house to make way for the garage coder who can sell their wares directly should be fairly appealing to someone who proclaims to enjoy coding, no?~ The notion that with just an idea and a little talent you can become a millionaire is pretty appealing, isn't it?

Anyway, I don't have much more to say except not to write-off the on-screen keyboard; you can become exceptionally proficient at it. Oftentimes I'll hammer out a good portion of an assessable for school while waiting for the tram, on my teeny tiny iPhone screen. I think you're confusing the idea of the suggestive text correction on a keyboard like the iPhone's for the T9 dictionary hell of older candy-bar phones. When in reality? With a little practice it's not at all difficult to have 100% accuracy and at an exceptional pace, to boot ♥

Actually, I think devices like the iPhone and the Android platform will probably supersede the antiquated notion of the bespoke mobile gaming device before too long ~ Nintendo, for example, see Apple as their most serious competitor in the hand-held arena. And shure, there is a lot of shovelware out there but the notion of breaking down the big development house to make way for the garage coder who can sell their wares directly should be fairly appealing to someone who proclaims to enjoy coding, no?~ The notion that with just an idea and a little talent you can become a millionaire is pretty appealing, isn't it?

Anyway, I don't have much more to say except not to write-off the on-screen keyboard; you can become exceptionally proficient at it. Oftentimes I'll hammer out a good portion of an assessable for school while waiting for the tram, on my teeny tiny iPhone screen. I think you're confusing the idea of the suggestive text correction on a keyboard like the iPhone's for the T9 dictionary hell of older candy-bar phones. When in reality? With a little practice it's not at all difficult to have 100% accuracy and at an exceptional pace, to boot ♥

The biggest problem with them is the size of the screen and lack of an actual keyboard. Most gamers want to sit on the couch and use controllers now, from what I've learned recently, so computer games appeal to them but handhelds in general don't. As for the handheld games (the ones I like) they are usually company-centric, like my absolute favorite and the main reason I like Nintendo DS, Pokemon ... which is only available on Nintendo systems. Die hard computer gamers seem to prefer the mouse and keyboard controls, and the big screen lets them recline in comfort while gaming. As I said before, there is no one size fits all with technology, the game console GPUs are extremely powerful, and mobile devices cannot compete with those. The newest consoles will often have a quad core GPU and duo core CPU or better. Small circuits (with the current type of technology) cannot last that long with such processing power because of heat, it's just no possible. Nintendo portables avoid this using the cartridge system, which decreases the load of the primary hardware as well as allows for expandability (though no one ever uses it >.<). As for programming, I am an entertainer without an audience, my gaming preference is extremely "old school" so nothing I have written has been popular enough to last, I code simply because I have enjoyed it as a hobby since I was tinkering with TRS-80s and Apple IIes, back when they were the most common household computers. It's all relative. To me portable devices are just toys, and will always be when compared to a full sized computer (desktop) because of it's drawbacks. As for the "on screen" keyboard, doesn't matter how proficient some people get with them, they are not practical for most computer usage. But as I said, when I'm out of the house I don't want to be online anyway, and don't want to be "connected" to cyber space in any way, that's my time in reality and I get so precious little of it as it is.

On a side note, my current friend (I prefer to have only one or two at any time in real life) has actually gotten on my nerves because she is the exact opposite as l33ts, but more than that. She pesters me with anti-tech rants but never leaves home without her cellphone and bugs me when she wants to play games or watch DVDs .... then has the audacity to complain when my computer can't get Netflix streamed (due to proprietary issues with Linux and Hollywood). Then she complains I "don't do enough in the real world" yet works 5 nights a week, sleeping all day ... thinking she actually knows what I do with my time during this. LOL ... so yeah, I love tech, just again, one size does not fit all, it holds true for even hardware.

Sheesh- you'd think there was a riot with all the commotion going on :screwy:

Some of us oldsters remember when a "Smart Phone" meant a really sharp-looking corded communications device with a round dial on it :lol:

Bettypooh

To me "smart phone" is the one that can remember phone numbers ... :P

To me "smart phone" is the one that can remember phone numbers ... :P

Ohhh, Then Crap I have one of those! I have the old Razor 3vm and while the rest of my family has flip out keyboards, touch screens and who knows what. When I want my wife to know when I am going to be home, I call her and tell her. I press the 2 button for 2 seconds. When she answers I say "home at 5" and flip the damn thing closed! :whistling:

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

My fiance tried an Iphone, and took it right back. He now has an HTC Evo, which runs off Android. He's dropped the thing and it did *NOT* die. I can't operate the touch screen too well because of my fingernails (nail beds go all the way to the end of my finger and I have just under 1/8 inch growth after that.) but we use it for everything. GPS while driving (clips to dash), internet on trips, check work email, watch movies when we are away from home, texting me when I lose my voice, phone, taking fantastic pictures (better than our old digital camera even), it saves carrying a duffel bag full of tech around with us when we travel. My fiance is a very tech savvy geek who thinks about 90 miles a minute... he'd get bored out of his skull without the thing (sometimes still does lol). And no, it is not connected to Twitter. Ugh... Twitter's for twits. I have something a little less connected... my Lotus just has camera, mobile style internet, gps, talk and text. I could connect it to my email and facebook, but I don't like being bothered all the time. I'd rather check that at my pace. Not everybody who has a smart phone is stupid, or constantly has their face shoved in it. We are a prime example of that. I wouldn't have my own Android, because I'd never use all the features and I hate touch screens and phones that can't flip shut, but his is infinitely useful to him. It's really more of a pocket computer that happens to take phone calls... if people realized that maybe attitudes would change.

Ohhh, Then Crap I have one of those! I have the old Razor 3vm and while the rest of my family has flip out keyboards, touch screens and who knows what. When I want my wife to know when I am going to be home, I call her and tell her. I press the 2 button for 2 seconds. When she answers I say "home at 5" and flip the damn thing closed! :whistling:

That's a smart phone user!

I dont like smart phones. the are too small and touch screens annoy me. I travel most of the time. Thats why like now i am using a wifi card and a laptop. A real computer not a bunch of half baked apps. I almost bought the droid 2 or a palm because they had a built in wifi hot spot function. But they make you buy a extra data package for the phone that ... with wifi which i also pay extra for understandably i would never use the phone data. As a side note i also hate text messaging... every now and then and for some things like directions its handy but... my friend texts over 100 times a day thats just crazy. Dont even get me started on twitter...ugh... Nobody has a life so interesting they need to twitter.

Watch tv or movies on a phone? Are you kidding anything i want to watch would be ruined on a screen that small and anything els is a waste of time watching .. and kill your battery. I have a gps for navigation way better and accurate than a smart phone.

I <3 my Droid. Its tough as nails And works pretty darn good. If you unlock it you have the capability to overclock the pcu and when its running at 1gig its pretty quick. I used to use an iPhone but they break too easily and I am pretty hard on phones. Before the 1.1 update my screen actually had a hole in it where I had accidentally lit the thing on fire welding in my garage.

Granted people are stuck in their phones, but I'd rather be out and about than stuck in front of my desktop or stuck lugging my laptop around.