LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Disposables And Plastic Pants

Toddler Pampers

Being an "old guy", I remember the days of cloth diapers and plastic pants, just past the era of Playtex real latex baby pants, in the 1940's and earlier, plastic pants coming along in the late 40's and early 50's. For me, I LIKE the added protection plastic pants give, as US made adult disposables often have a slow absorption rate for fluid, and really aren't cut as large as can be needed with soiling. Not only that, as a DL, there has always been an attraction to the sight of blousy vinyl pants, the "swishing" sound they make, and generally, the "look" they give to a "diaper package". I never felt complete wearing any kind of diaper without plastic pants covering them.

So, for me, practicality is part of it, cloth diapers OR disposables, and "completeness" of the "outfit" the other part. I would never wear a disposable and wet it the way I do, withOUT plastic pants over it. In fact, I almost always wear TWO pair of plastic pants over ANY diapers.

Bottom line, to each, their own!

• 1 month later...

Hi Time For Change,

Your post is most interesting. Clearly your experience of current parents using waterproof pants over disposables on their toddlers is vastly different from other members here, or the parents of toddlers I know in person in Southern California.

Mind you, it seems like a very practical idea to cover baby/toddler disposables with a garment to appropriately hold the disposable in place. Onesies are very effective at doing this. Onesies were marketed by Gerber well before disposables were commonly used, in the pinned gauze diaper era. As a child with a tiny over-active bladder in the 1960s, I do not remember my own Gerber Onesies, but all 3 or my younger siblings wore those. When we outgrew off the shelf Gerber Onesies, my Mom and Granny made Onesies themselves, using an industrial over-lock machine and T-shirt cotton material. Granny and Mom bought classic Curity 21x40" gauze diapers. They bought Gerber vinyl baby pants up to Toddler Large in local stores. They bought Gerber vinyl pants in sizes up to large enough for them by mail-order directly from the Three Oaks, MI Gerber factory.

My Mom was born in 1937, the same year PlayTex stretchy latex baby panties were sold nationally. Granny told me that she was the first mother in her neighborhood to buy those for Mom and her 3 younger sisters. Of course by the spring of 1942, because of WWII, the PlayTex panties became scarce. The same rubber rationing also stopped production of traditional rubber pants. Granny says from 1942 until about 1946 when PlayTex and a few rubber pants factories returned to production, she had to return to the days when she was growing up when cloth diapers were not covered by waterproof pants. Soft vinyl sheet, as used in modern waterproof pants, was not produced until the end of 1945. During rationing Granny says some of her neighbors tried to waterproof cloth pants with oil, but that caused more mess than just letting the cloth diapers leak.

As an incontinent adult I know that wearing ordinary waterproof panties over poly-plastic or even cloth-like disposables can be most uncomfortable. My experience has been that to improve comfort and also increase the effectiveness of the waterproof pants, I need to wear knit cotton panties over my disposable and inside my vinyl panties. PlayTex stopped production of their latex baby pants in early 1954, 10 years before I was born. Granny had given up on rubber pants as soon as Gerber introduced their soft vinyl pants in 1947. So I never wore actual rubber pants until I found out about AB in 1990. That was when I discovered I am allergic to rubber and latex. Consequently I have not followed recent rubber pant developments.

Could you share some details of the plastic and rubber pants you currently use on children you babysit? For example, where do you or the parents buy those? Are there comfort issues? Have you tried using cotton pants between the disposable and the rubber pants? What do you think of snap-crotch Onesies to hold diapers in place?

Thanks in advance for all your useful information. The more Adult Babies know about the care of infants/toddlers, the more we can get from our own AB fantasy play.

Before my accident happened to make me incontinent I did a lot of babysitting for people and to this day still do and when changing diapers everyday,and I changed lots of them, weather the toddlers were wearing disposables or cloth diapers they were always wearing plastic or rubber pants over top of the diapers and one time I even asked one of the mothers who always had her daughters in disposables why were rubber pants worn over a disposable diaper,she replied to me

"there has been many many times that my two daughters have been playing outside and have filled and wet their disposables and kept on playing ...a lot of times on the swing set I have in my back yard and because they had sat for a while swinging, the diapers have leaked their contents out of the diaper and the rubber pants have saved a lot of clothing from being stained..and for that reason is why they are put on over top"

Well like I have stated I still babysit but am now in diapers and rubber pants full time and weather it be cloth or disposables I always wear rubber pants over top of them.as I usually wet as well as poop my pants and the same thing has happened to me as the mother said happened to her toddlers..and to me it is just natural to wear them.and I never have forgot her answer on that question.have a nice day and evening everyone.. :biker_h4h::biker_h4h::biker_h4h:

I used plastic pants over my disposables a lot for extra protection. We were on our honeymoon and Daddy put me into an Abriform for bedtime I think it was but for some reason it wasn't fitting that well. I think it might've been too big but can't remember for sure. I had plastic pants over it and I wet it. I checked it before climbing back into bed and realized that I had a major leak. Luckily it was still darkest outside and people were still asleep as I had to deal with it outside the tent. I was very thankful that I had the plastic pants on or we would've had a mess in the tent!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

i always wear plastic pants over two abena x plus disposables. yes, i wet my nappies to the full but no matter how good they are i find disposables will leak at the sides when i am asleep, the pants help protect from the little leaks.

OK, i just love the look and feel of crisp white plastic pants too.

• 2 weeks later...

Being a product of the fifties it was always referred to as diapers and plastic pants. When I returned to diapers in the mid 60s disposables were just coming on the market and the largest baby disposables would not fit. So I wore Curitys and Gerber toddler plastic pants.

The first adult disposables I found were made by Ambeze and they were terrible. But, other than Sears, there were no plastic pants readily available. This is all pre-internet and I felt I had to be the only one doing this. Then I found Attends and I was able to form three baby sized plastic snap on pants, snapped together, to fit over my diapers. Quite a configuration!

Next I found VIPs and eventually Comco. So now I wear Tranquility ATNs at night and Slimlines during the day with Comco plastic pants. With these I wear a Walgreen's Jumbo baby diaper which I slit several times to use as a soaker. I am now at the point where I need to wear diapers and plastic pants to bed every night. I have trained myself to wet at night through the use of the Warpmymind diaper files and now wet during the day if diapered. Diapers and plastic pants are a lifestyle to me and I don't regret the steps I have taken.

As I said, being a product of the fifties - diapers and plastic pants just go together!

• 2 weeks later...

I've never understood the concept of regular plastic panties over disposables. Seeing as once moisture escapes from the disposable there isn't a way for it to be reabsorbed, so you end up with a puddle of pee in the crotch of the panties, which will leak out when you sit down.

However, a pair of flannel lined panties would solve that problem.

I also wear plasticpants over disposible keeps leaks in plus babyish and is necessary with cloth

I would also like to add that as an avid bicycle rider, I have had quite a few instances where the diaper itself has split through the crotch due to the shape of the seat. definitely makes wearing plastic pants a must. Love those comco's.

It's really interesting how the 'debate' is split between those who argue for plastic pants as a safety device, and those who argue for plastic pants as a fashion accessory.

Seeing as how ABDL manufacturers try to offer a range of pretty plastic pants (I have just ordered a pair in bright pink, which I'm hoping will arrive today), and sell them on their looks, not their function, I'm guessing that really most of the ABDL community likes plastic pants for the look and feel. Any safety features would, then, just be an added bonus.

And to all those who argue for function over form: what colour/print are your plastic pants?

• 1 month later...