LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Regular? Diaper Changes

I spend a lot of time away from home these days, sometimes up to 12 hours. That's a long time in wet diapers. I don't get rashes because I always use Desitin or Desitin Clear. I also shave my legs and diaper region, and that helps. (I think so anyway.) The problem is I worry about the smell of urine. My wife tells me no one can smell it until I pull the plastic pants off. There's just no good place to change cloth diapers, even though I carry a diaper bag with a change in the Jeep. Occasionally I can stop by the doctor's office and they'll let me change and clean up. For the most part I just stay in the same diapers until I get home.

I hate it because I'm pretty dehydrated when I get home. I purposely keep my liquid consumption down, and that doesn't help me. I make up for it in the evening and then have a flood in the morning. Thankfully, no leaks. Gauze prefold diapers rock! I'm thinking about starting an Incontinent Person's forum to address the lack of places for us to change. I can see it now. Four or five of us old farts talking to the city about our problem. No! Wait! Erase that! (blushes crimson!) :blush:

You could change in a public rest room. Bring a bag with you so nobody will see. It could be a backpack. In that backpack, you could keep plastic bags to tie up that will contain the dirty cloth diapers. This way, they are contained and kept away from other supplies for washing when you get home. With a bit of planning and mannagement, you could get the hang of it and look forward to more comfortable outings. Go into a stall and change.

My situation is even more challenging since I need my husband to change the diapers for me. I wish there were more family bathrooms. This way, he'd not have to go to people and say something like, "I need to take her into the mens room with me because she has medical problems, and I need to change her diaper." Keep in mind, they all know who it is whose diaper that needs to be changed because I'm right there, and they HAVE to know WHO is going into the men's room. At least, once you get the hang of it, you can make scheduled stops in between activities, and change in a public rest room. It really sucks for me because family bathrooms are not everywhere. As a matter of fact, most places have gender specific bathrooms. UG!

Hey, every incontinent person has unique medical issues.

My first examination by a urologist was in 1976. Let me tell you in the 32 years since then I have stopped counting the number of different urologists who have treated me. Generally the advice is similar, but over the years new research has changed details.

Let me also make it clear that my profession is the practice of law. I do not claim to be a qualified medical professional. I am not in doubt about any individual post. However, I do want to share some universally accepted principles of health.

Yes, reducing intake of fluids during the day will reduce the production of urine. The downside is virtually all of us with bladder incontinence also have some kidney damage. It puts a major strain on our kidneys when we fail to drink enough fluids.

Clearly when a person feels dehydrated that individual did not drink enough healthy fluids. To hold back on drinking just to prolong the capacity of a diaper is very risky.

In the climate of Southern California most days of the year it is warm enough that urine turns sour in less than six hours. Once urine starts to turn sour ammonia forms. The downside is risk to our skin from rash, risk if UTI and also that people near us will detect the odor despite plastic pants.

When I was a child and teen, disposable diapers were not common or practical. On trips and special events all my siblings wore pinned gauze diapers with separate Gerber pants. We were changed in public restrooms thousands of times. After I reached puberty at 12 I was taught to pin my own gauze diapers both at home and in ladies room stalls. Trust me this can be done.

Without questions for those of us blessed with a washer, cloth diapers are comfy yet hardly discreet compared to modern adult disposables. Personally I wear my gauze diapers at home and make do with disposables while functioning as a responsible adult in public. This is my choice and I respect people who make other choices.

Has any qualified Southern California physician endorsed wearing the same diaper for over 8 hours? If so, this could well constitute malpractice. Think about it, okay?

Hey, every incontinent person has unique medical issues.

My first examination by a urologist was in 1976. Let me tell you in the 32 years since then I have stopped counting the number of different urologists who have treated me. Generally the advice is similar, but over the years new research has changed details.

Let me also make it clear that my profession is the practice of law. I do not claim to be a qualified medical professional. I am not in doubt about any individual post. However, I do want to share some universally accepted principles of health.

Yes, reducing intake of fluids during the day will reduce the production of urine. The downside is virtually all of us with bladder incontinence also have some kidney damage. It puts a major strain on our kidneys when we fail to drink enough fluids.

Clearly when a person feels dehydrated that individual did not drink enough healthy fluids. To hold back on drinking just to prolong the capacity of a diaper is very risky.

In the climate of Southern California most days of the year it is warm enough that urine turns sour in less than six hours. Once urine starts to turn sour ammonia forms. The downside is risk to our skin from rash, risk if UTI and also that people near us will detect the odor despite plastic pants.

When I was a child and teen, disposable diapers were not common or practical. On trips and special events all my siblings wore pinned gauze diapers with separate Gerber pants. We were changed in public restrooms thousands of times. After I reached puberty at 12 I was taught to pin my own gauze diapers both at home and in ladies room stalls. Trust me this can be done.

Without questions for those of us blessed with a washer, cloth diapers are comfy yet hardly discreet compared to modern adult disposables. Personally I wear my gauze diapers at home and make do with disposables while functioning as a responsible adult in public. This is my choice and I respect people who make other choices.

Has any qualified Southern California physician endorsed wearing the same diaper for over 8 hours? If so, this could well constitute malpractice. Think about it, okay?

I agree with what you have said. All your advice is great!

You are also right that it would be considered malpractice if any doctor recommends that you stay in the same diaper for over eight hours. That is not only hazzardous to health but unsanitary. My husband changes me ever two hours. There will be times, though, that it is longer before I can get changed depending on where we are and what we are doing, but I've never spent eight hours plus in the same diaper. Heck! He even wakes me from sleep to change diapers. It is annoying because I'd rather sleep straight through the night, but I understand why he would do it that way.

I also wear 24/7... I've gotten pretty good at changing in public restrooms. I wear only disposables while out in public... never tried to go out of the house with a cloth diaper on... why do you prefer cloth when in public?

I'm allergic to some chemical it seems every disposable diaper uses. Five minutes in a disposable and I have the rash from hates, even with Desitin! So cloth is what I have to use. Public restrooms usually have the "feel" of germs about them, and changing in one is possible, but not very private. I'm still shy about changing in front of anyone.

I agree with what you have said. All your advice is great!

You are also right that it would be considered malpractice if any doctor recommends that you stay in the same diaper for over eight hours. That is not only hazzardous to health but unsanitary. My husband changes me ever two hours. There will be times, though, that it is longer before I can get changed depending on where we are and what we are doing, but I've never spent eight hours plus in the same diaper. Heck! He even wakes me from sleep to change diapers. It is annoying because I'd rather sleep straight through the night, but I understand why he would do it that way.

I guess I have a way to go in recovery yet. I try to get home for a quick change every two or three hours, but sometimes I'm in TDM's all day and can't do that. I know about the risk to my liver. My doctor has told me I can always stop in and change there, and the clinic is pretty good about that. I change in the bathroom on the floor. At least there I know it's kept clean. Men's rooms don't stay clean very long, and homeless people use the bathroom at my work, so I'm not about to change in there. I didn't used to be scared about germs like I am now.

Also I didn't mean to sound like I do this every day. Maybe one day out of the week I can't get home or to the doc for a change. So I'm good to go, for the most part. I just wish there were family restrooms that had facilities for incontinent people. I'll make a wish upon a star!]

I'm allergic to some chemical it seems every disposable diaper uses. Five minutes in a disposable and I have the rash from hates, even with Desitin! So cloth is what I have to use. Public restrooms usually have the "feel" of germs about them, and changing in one is possible, but not very private. I'm still shy about changing in front of anyone.

I agree that the best choice would be to have a bag with a couple changes of diapers and possibly a pair or two of plastic pants. Public restrooms may not be that great, but it's much healthier to not dehydrate yourself and go as often as you need to, then change as necessary. It's never good to put your health at risk in favor of convenience. Incontinence is inconvenient... but hopefully things could get better if people keep pushing things like designated changing areas for incontinent people or mentally challenged kids/people who could never grasp potty training and need to wear diapers 24/7.

What would it take to pass a bill to propose designated changing areas? They already have designated changing areas for infants and toddlers, but nothing for adults.

I agree that the best choice would be to have a bag with a couple changes of diapers and possibly a pair or two of plastic pants. Public restrooms may not be that great, but it's much healthier to not dehydrate yourself and go as often as you need to, then change as necessary. It's never good to put your health at risk in favor of convenience. Incontinence is inconvenient... but hopefully things could get better if people keep pushing things like designated changing areas for incontinent people or mentally challenged kids/people who could never grasp potty training and need to wear diapers 24/7.

What would it take to pass a bill to propose designated changing areas? They already have designated changing areas for infants and toddlers, but nothing for adults.

I know exactly why this is:

1. Incontinence is a very taboo subject. Potty training and accidents is such a cornerstone and a main focus in our society, even to the point that small children are routinely berated for accidents, which is sad. This taboo attitude is the reason for people living with incontinence for years and not getting help. I am not this way. Quite frankly, I hate the attitude of society. It really makes me sick. Maybe, if things were different, I'd probably not feel slightly embarrassed wen my husband tells clerks and the like that he has to bring me into the mens bathroom to change my diaper. I'd like to see the condition of incontinence be reduced to that of a common cold or a broken leg. This way, parents would have more compassion toward potty training children, as they will not be berated and forced to fit a mold to be normal. It gets so bad taht doctors have told parents that because a urine specimine came back normal I could go on all day about the flaws in the potty training, such as that diapers are only for baies and that grownups don't wear them. That is a lie, and we know it, but I'd like all of society to know that also.

2. People don't speak out. Aside from the medical community, the mentally challenged and the incontinent, as well as those suffering with physical conditions, are not accepted anywhere else. They are expected to stay off in their own segregated group, despite all efforts to bring about inclusion. If more people did speak up, something would be done about it. I agree that something SHOULD be done.

Thanks so much, guys, because you've given me an idea. I'd like to write letters to my state governor, congress, the county commissioner, and other community leaders. We all should do it. We are in control of our destiny.

Most state government websites have email addresses to contact state representatives and congressmen/women to write letters to bring such things to their attention. Perhaps they could work with others to work to pass a bill. For those of us who are lawyers (looks at Baby Angel) I think that would give us more leverage, and maybe insight on the next step.

I have to agree with many of you on this issue, there is a need for a change here in the world about diapers and all. I know here where I'm at right now there is alots of places to change, well ok not as many as I think there should be. I know that there is many stores in the US that are not including family bathrooms in there buildings. Yes I think there is a need for a change here, but I have also notice that Incog. is starting to become more of a main stream typic.

Yes, there is many different people in the world that wear, Doctors, Lawers, Military, Judges, and I'm sure some of the Congress does also.

Just a thought... but have you considered pull-on or velcro cloth diapers? Might make changing easier.

Actually, all my diapers fasten with Velcro, but I still like to have at least two diaper pins attached. I guess I'm just slow about getting everything off.

Guest dl_aslee

I know it can be hard, but get over the fear of other people in a bathroom that might notice. I don't see at all why it is not possible to change in a public restroom. Get some of the name brand thick 1 gallon ziplock bags, put it in one and then put another over that one, I find that really keeps anyone from smelling the urine. Use the disabled stall and get the hang of standing and pinning them on, and you will be all good to go. Really stop risking your health by being dehydrated and get over your fears as there is absolutely no reason except for what is going on in your own head that is stopping you from changing in public restrooms.

The trick is to use the Velcro to reinforce the diaper itself. I sew the Velcro straps all the way across the top, and the fastener part all the way across the front. They last a long way with this reinforcement. I also cut "covers" for the rough part of the Velcro for when I wash them so it doesn't catch on the fabric. I get about four to six months use from each diaper this way.

Only thing i would have to add is, .. just remember that the more dehydrated you are, the more smell that your urine will have.

using something like nullo, which is an internal deodorant, will help get rid of smells as well. the only draw back is that it turns everything that comes out the back side in to a nice dark green due to the chlorophyl

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

In the UK we have something called the disablement discrimination act (D.D.A) which makes it a legal requirement of any business or public service to make provisions for disabled people whatever their needs are. And there are toilets in most places for this purpose. They are unisex and have the space and grab rails etc. that someone in a wheelchair can easily get into. This goes for most of Europe. In fact when I was in Germany they even had a bin for adult diaper disposal in them. I am very interested in designing things that make life easier for disabled people and I would suggest if someone can't use disposables to have a pair of waterproof pants with a fastening system front and back so that a folded diaper square can be held in place. It would be simple then to drop the pants in a cubicle pull out the wet diaper and clip in a new one. This would avoid having to have three hands to pin on a fresh diaper. The simplest solution I have come up with so far to aid changing standing up is an elastic strap fasted with a press stud. You put it around your waist and slip the front of the diaper under the band. This holds the front while you put the diaper between your legs and pull it round the back. it works well with disposable if positioned between the tapes. After fitting the diaper you just undo the press stud and pull out the band out.

Marcia