LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Superpubic Catheters

Hi......havent been about lately, had some problems......but hay ho havent we all !!!!

so here is my question having had SIC and indwelling I am now being lined up (excuse pun) for a superpubic.....unlike lots in here ......my problem is not wetting......... I cant pee, I suffer from retention. So what does the panel think about superpubic caths and will it lead to wetting problems since my bladder will relax I suppose.

Answers on a post card please to the usual address, and if they good enough some of them will be posted for others to read....lol

Hia Nappy_pins :)

You asked about a "Superpubic" catheter, well I had the unpleasure to have had one placed in me for 3 months in 2005, let me tell you it sucked!!! The hose comes out mid level between your belly button and your boy. If you are larger then the average person weight wise it is very uncomfortable the hose pulling and tugging in the entry area and it will interfere with wearing trousers (at least it did for me), I wore sweat pants/jogging pants each and everyday when out of the house. Then the catch bag presents several problems itself to include breaking (been there, done that). I am not sure what treatments have been considered thus far or carried out on you or if your situation leaves you with limited mobility. Feel free to respond on a PM if you like. I have been going through "dilation treatments" for the same retention problems since March 2005 to present. They too are uncomfortable but I am now at an eight week break between each treatment. My urethra closes due to the growth of scar tissue near the urethral sphincter thus closing/blocking my urethra and my bladder can not release. If I was operated on it most definately the sphincter would be damaged and then become an involuntary wetter (contrary to many here, I do not want that. I like choosing when, where and how much I put in my diaper at any given time). I was told by my Dr. that the urethra is like the diameter #2 pencil but I was trying to void through a pinhole and the stream was very weak and fanned out and each time I would go it would get all over. The dilation treatments are rough in the beginning, I would have two days of worry and fear before going to the Dr. to have it done but now it is nothing to jump in my car and go get it done and carry on with a fairly active life. There is some bleeding and soreness and I leave the office wearing a Foley's catheter which I plug, meaning no bag attached. And occasionally you get a Urinary Track Infection (UTI) for which you will be given antibiotics for each treatment. I visit a rest room regularly and drain the hose about every two hours. I just do not like the bag for the the breakage reason. At night I put a catch bag on and sleep extremely well at those times and "sometimes" I just drip into the diaper when I am in a playful mood, LOL :) I always wear a pull-up, with or without, the catheter in because you get leakage plus I just enjoy the padded life too. The cath stays in for 5 to 7 days but I usually time it for up to ten days so that I am not taking it out on a weekend because you do lose control since the muscle weakens when the cath is in. The Dr. told me that we are trying to get the scar tissue from growing and in time it should but he is amazed at the resiliency of the scar tissue I have. Just to let you know I have an abdomen full of adhesions from my previous surgeries, he compared me as being in the worse of the worse category. So depending on your situation you may most likely not be put through the length of dilation that I have been through but no one knows for sure. Prior to the dilation treatments we tried to "self-cath" but I just can't do it and to become a full-fledge incontinent person at my age I just don't want to go that route yet. One day I may if the treatments become unbearable but I am hanging for now to the amazement of my Dr's.), but my sphincter is getting traumatized as we go through this because it is not responding to the post cath strengthening and I leak more now then before. But as the Dr. says we need to get the urine out of the body that is the #1 priority and we are doing that so what happends down the road remains to be seen but whatever way it goes I am prepared. So since my rant I would steer you to something other then a "superpubic catheter". Are you on diuretics for the retention?

Huggie :biker_h4h:

HATE THEM

it increase the risk of infection for some reason, they can only be changed by a dr. if you have a problem.

do not know any one that has had one that has any thing good to say about them, care after placement will have to be cleaner and more often.

I cared for someone who had been fitted with a suprapubic cath, once.

There is always some leakage into the abdomen (the catheter actually pierces the bladder wall), and the open wound is constantly open to infection.

When the catheter is removed, there is the added risk of persistent leakage into the abdomen, an added risk of infection, and the risk of adhesions (where two separate wounds heal together like a graft).

Plus, my friend suffered constant pain from the wound as well as the discomfort of the hose pulling the entry (exit) site.

All-in-all, a port of last resort.

Good luck with your SP.

Well thanks guys and gals!!!!!.......not what I expected.... wow...but thanks for the honesty.

We all have our unique problems either by birth, medical or accident...briefly mine is drugs.......no no before you get the wrong idea......

My earlier posts will tell you I am a manic depressant.....so I have been on meds to resolve that issue .....stop me trying to top myself as it were...problem is the side effects have led to retention and other nerve damage.....

The love/ dressing in nappies was a comfort ...a private space to feel small and away from the bad world when I was depressed......not a need....but its completly differant now the possibility is that it is for real......as I said ealier I have had SIC and indwelling....but the SIC was using a infant cath...10....and so was the indwelling size 10......but my body rejected the indwelling after 6 months....constant spasms and bleeding.

The hospital has basically had me on a watch and see policy......now their latest idea to protect my kidneys is to have a pressure relieve valve.....no bag......just if I go into retention and I cant get the cath in I can at least open the valve in the super pubic.......HELP!!! was hoping this was going to be my salvation....seems more thought is required

Hi,

I had a suprapubic catheter for nearly four weeks and then for 10 days in the University Clinic of Goettingen in 2006. I was glad, when it was removed.

Babygirl Kvetinka

A better place to get feedback from experienced users of suprapubic catheters would be on the message forum at www.incontact.org. A number of the users of that forum have or have had suprapubic catheters. Their experience has been mixed. Some like it; others don't. You should read their comments for a wealth of useful information.

• 2 months later...

well...just a short update on things.......and answering another question at the same time.

Its been a week since I had my super pubic cath inserted...wow strange to say at least!!!...but I now have the facility to pee normally ..........drain at night ...and use the valve when I go into rention.

Cant say it has been easy...still wetting ..well sometimes......went into hospital wearing a tena nappy even down onto the table ...woke up shaved and with nappy, but plus two caths.

The staff nurse was going to put in a pad and net nix...yuk!!!!...so told her I had brought my own tenas...so no problem wore those....why you ask when I had two caths.....well when they took the penile one out I started wetting and all sorts....its calming down a bit now.

One other thing...the bitch who took my cath out.....really hurt....other times they have been so very caring and gentle.....this had the wax op out off my ears!!!....they had fitted a size 16 when I can usual only take a 12...but that was done under a general........hope this helps xxx