LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Adult Baby Diapers
Three Rivers

Which cloth diaper to buy?

34 posts in this topic

So I am going to start wearing cloth diapers part time, I am interested in the night weight and don't really care about bulk. I could also wear day weight and add one or two doublers. So I am a big guy with a 44 inch waist and normaly wear  size L Dry 24/7 disposable. 

Several questions :

1.Birdseye,  Gauze, Flannel?  Which is better.

2.Contour, prefold or flat.

3.With so many companies around whom to buy from. Babykins, Adult Cloth Diaper. Dependco, Fetware, llmedico.

I know this has been discussed a few times and there is many view points. So what do you suggest? 

For night time, I wear a bath towel.

Fold the ends in to the required length, put a half twist between the legs, fasten either side.

Nobody notices a towel on the washline.

Without wishing to be unkind, a 44" waist, isn't a waist, but a bulge.

For day time, use a smaller towel.

Put a plastic belt on the floor, lay the towel accross in the appropraite position, lie on it and pull it up between your legs (with or without twist), fasten the belt and when standing, fold the excess towel down over the belt front and back and tuck it in on its self.

Nobody notices a towel on the washline.

The questions are all pretty much matters of taste.   I have mostly birdseye diapers because my wife made them out of fabric I cornered the market on from all the local fabric stores, but I have a few flannel ones I bouht.

Shape is taste.   I have prefolds (essentially flat diapers with extra fabric in the middle) because it is the style I remember from my youth.   I've got a few various other styles.

The size on flats and prefolds just needs to be big enough as there's a lot of room for fit.    Most sites have fit tables, but essentially you want the width to be at least six inches more than half your waist size.

Diaper pins are available at your favorite store.    I use the Snappi (larger size) fasteners with no problem.

I like flannel prefolds, and I've patronized Angel Fluff diaper company for the most part. And I love wearing plastic baby panties over them, along with the vintage diaper pins that are required for wearing cloth. The pins must be functional as well as attractive. It's annoying to be thickly diapered and have a pin let go. One thing you can do with cloth that you won't necessarily try with a disposable is throwing the diaper you're about to wear into the dryer for about 10 minutes and get it nice and toasty just before wearing it. Anyone else ever try this? When you really want to "pamper" yourself, give it a try sometime.

I prefer gauze flat diapers. I think they are softer than flannel and I can layer them the thickness I want. They are also much easier to wash and dry!

I also have a few gauze and I do like them, but I've been buying the prefold flannels for such a long time it's what I've become accustomed to wearing...and besides, they've been washed so many times now they are a very nice level of softness. :P

you may also want to check out the twill cloth diapers at changingtimesdiaperco.com

Thank you for your help. 

So i have looked at some cloth pull on style from Adult Cloth Diaper.  Anyone have any experience with these?

Hi Three Rivers !

I've gotten a couple pull-on "diapers" fom Babykins... actually they are very thick training pants.  Quite comfortable :)

With Tuffies plastic pants they do the trick.  I've added disposable stuffers and worn for hours, sometimes overnight.

Most often i wear a heavyweight birdseye flat with cloth prefolds , Crayola pins and Babykins vinyl Softies.

Gauze is plain comfort luxury next to the skin .... if you can score some old Curity, they are the best.

and you save lots of $$$$ over disposables :)

see you on bbif

happiness is wearing cotton diapers

I also have the babykins pullups, and enjoy wearing them at night with a pair of plastic panties just for comfort, not for need. I'm very impressed with babykins service and product line for the most part, but if you have to return something for an exchange it can take awhile. Not sure if I would like to have the disposable stuffers unless they were sandwiched between layers of cloth. I really don't like my skin touching the disposable, just not my preference.

Thank you again for the replies. 

I wear the twill prefold diapers from Changing Times Diaper Co. Been wearing them with a booster pad and Boingo fasteners and pins. Also have a few contour ones from same Co. I wear them mostly for afternoon use with less bulk.

I have bought and used ADC's cloth diapers and boosters and find them quite good. 

I prefer the gauze diaper squares from adultclothdiaper.com and the twill prefolds (very much like gauze) from Changing Times Diaper Company.  Changing Times also sells birdseye squares too.   I find gauze the softest fabric of all and quick drying too

I suppose it depends on what's important to you. If you want a diaper that's durable, I've found birdseye to be the best for that. If you want softness and a material that "breathes", IMO gauze and twill are ideal.

As to the style of diaper, I'm a bit old-fashioned (I prefer prefolds, fastened with pins) so I can't really discuss the relative merits of all-in-ones, velcro, contour and the like.

On 10/31/2015 at 6:35 PM, Rachel Emily said:

I suppose it depends on what's important to you. If you want a diaper that's durable, I've found birdseye to be the best for that. If you want softness and a material that "breathes", IMO gauze and twill are ideal.

As to the style of diaper, I'm a bit old-fashioned (I prefer prefolds, fastened with pins) so I can't really discuss the relative merits of all-in-ones, velcro, contour and the like.

I am more old-fashioned than you. I use homemade in a style that was made for la little girl. I do not like prefolds since they are of uneven thickness with the most material between the legs, which keeps the wet against a more delicate part of the body longer. Here is what I have

All-In-Ones have had a bad reputation for 30 years. Velcro, unless well taken care of, loses it's usefulness and rthe 1-piece contour/hourglass just cannot hold what a multi-layed, full-bodied flat can and you can always double and triple diaper as was done when I was very little

I have tried several different cloth diapers and found that I love the contour pin on from All Together Diaper Company, they have baby, youth and adult lines www.adultclothdiapering.com each diaper comes with a 10 ply liner and I order one additional liner per diaper, I always buy in sets of 3. We have found that using layers gives the protection I need and washes MUCH better than having a super thick overnight diaper. I also have found far more comfort in the contour, less bulk between the legs to feg the bulk in the front and back I need.

We have tried velcro but found that it stops sticking long before the diaper is worn out and in serviceable. About the time the pin surface starts to give way the rest of the diaper is falling apart too.

I use 2 regular diaper pins per side and the same companies plastic pants. I have a size 42 waist and buy XL, they could easily fit 44 waist as there is plenty of material, they ride well, I fold down the front just a little and can go most nights without leaking.

1 person likes this

Thanks for this post, helped answer some of my questions too.

1 person likes this

I make my own using flannel from FlannelWorld.

The edges are not hemmed.  They seem to last nearly forever until a tear develops with no appreciable unraveling.

Whether only a few layers or six or seven, the single layer cloth dries more quickly and thoroughly in the drier.  The neighbors can't see what is in the drier.

Love my Mountainview flannel prefolds. My diaper for years.

1 person likes this

I like flannel prefolds, and I've patronized Angel Fluff diaper company for the most part. And I love wearing plastic baby panties over them, along with the vintage diaper pins that are required for wearing cloth. The pins must be functional as well as attractive. It's annoying to be thickly diapered and have a pin let go. One thing you can do with cloth that you won't necessarily try with a disposable is throwing the diaper you're about to wear into the dryer for about 10 minutes and get it nice and toasty just before wearing it. Anyone else ever try this? When you really want to "pamper" yourself, give it a try sometime.

You have impeccable taste I wear the U 3 with "blue ice" custom high rise ,I use velcro because of my disability, wrapped elastic on waist and legs and I bought my own patterns for pull on and snap on to, every pair is just like the last,however they have been going strong for 9 years Jeannie and Howard do a great products and really care about each and every customer.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

i just recieved the teen/adult diaper featured in this pages store, its great! thick soaker and in a pocket diaper so comfortable

On 10/24/2015 at 0:52 PM, babylin said:

Hi Three Rivers !

I've gotten a couple pull-on "diapers" fom Babykins... actually they are very thick training pants.  Quite comfortable :)

With Tuffies plastic pants they do the trick.  I've added disposable stuffers and worn for hours, sometimes overnight.

Most often i wear a heavyweight birdseye flat with cloth prefolds , Crayola pins and Babykins vinyl Softies.

Gauze is plain comfort luxury next to the skin .... if you can score some old Curity, they are the best.

and you save lots of $$$$ over disposables :)

see you on bbif

happiness is wearing cotton diapers

Go to "baby-pants.com" and order "gauze prefold diapers", wash them on delicate cycle, after five washings and dryings they are just like the old Curity prefolds.

1 person likes this

On 4/14/2016 at 4:31 AM, clothbaby said:

Love my Mountainview flannel prefolds. My diaper for years.

I have not seen the Mountainview diapers. I'll check them out online. Thanks for posting this.

On 10/24/2015 at 11:52 AM, babylin said:

You said, "happiness is wearing cotton diapers" and I could not agree more...

I also have a few pair of the Babykins pull-ons. I could get used to wearing them all the time. Love the stuffer ideas too, but these pull-ons are just great by themselves, with a pair of plastic baby panties over them, of course!