LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

How man words is too many for one update?

I have a 5k-word story that is close to being ready to update.  It's a good short story.   There are places that I can pull it away, but it is written as one full story.    But 5K is a lot of words, and might not be the best to post as one shot.

The plot is: the guy has a younger sister who becomes his mommy figure with the sister's BFF becoming his little sister.

If the whole story is only 5 thousand words, I would generally recommend doing it as a one-off.  Short chapters work best in longer stories (60 thousand words, plus) where the narrative is moving quickly in scenes where the physical location of the action is also moving about.  

If it's all one story, I imagine 5k is fine since it's everything at once, which people probably like more than having a short story broken up anyway.

Even if it wasn't a whole story, as long as it has a starting and ending point that make sense as one unit and is well written, I don't think there's any problem with a 5k word chapter.

On 2/15/2024 at 1:43 PM, LessThanSavory said:

If it's all one story, I imagine 5k is fine since it's everything at once, which people probably like more than having a short story broken up anyway.

Even if it wasn't a whole story, as long as it has a starting and ending point that make sense as one unit and is well written, I don't think there's any problem with a 5k word chapter.

Agree on the chapter. Disagree on the chopping up a vignette. I posted something here a while back that, had I given everything at once, it would have ruined the mood, and that particular piece was 100% mood, because it was a wistful tale of a beautiful relationship ended by one person passing.  

Thanks for the input

I tend to look for the best stopping point around 2k words when I'm writing a novella, which also matches what I can edit in 6 hours. This story wouldn't work for that.

2 hours ago, WBDaddy said:

Agree on the chapter. Disagree on the chopping up a vignette. I posted something here a while back that, had I given everything at once, it would have ruined the mood, and that particular piece was 100% mood, because it was a wistful tale of a beautiful relationship ended by one person passing.  

That's fair, though I think that would be an exception to the general rule for something in the 5k range since most of the short stories here tend towards a different direction. 5K words is a lot of words, but in terms of more general length, it's like two chapters, or maybe three if you use webnovel standards, which just isn't a lot to work with, structure-wise.

28 minutes ago, LessThanSavory said:

That's fair, though I think that would be an exception to the general rule for something in the 5k range since most of the short stories here tend towards a different direction. 5K words is a lot of words, but in terms of more general length, it's like two chapters, or maybe three if you use webnovel standards, which just isn't a lot to work with, structure-wise.

It's just my opinion, and it is something I see in a lot of literary fiction, but there is a lot of prose that uses far too many words to say nothing.  Especially if there a super long paragraphs that A: don't say anything, or B: ramble on two ideas

If this story was much longer than 5k, I would definitely break it up.

I'm writing a novel, and my idea was to have the guy go from Sacramento New York, and it took me almost 2k words to get him to the plane.  That's a full chapter in the way I'm planning to update the novel.

From a story standpoint- I think the one time shot is really good.  But there is desire for it to get views and comments.  If I post a one-shot, some will read it- but then it will leave page one and it will only get a few thousand views.  If I update it every day for a few days- more people will see it.

• 2 weeks later...

I've found two-thousand words to be a decent chapter length. More importantly, I'd like the reader to be able to say "This is the chapter where X happens." Feels a little more satisfying to read something that's some sort of cohesive whole rather than just an arbitrary snippet of a larger story. Sometimes that means a shorter chapter, sometimes that means a longer one. 

It depends upon whether or not there is a good place to break the story into parts. It's possible that your 5000 word story just doesn't have a good break point in it.

But I have seen entire stories of 100s of thousands of words in a single post, and posts so short that they aren't worth reading until there's several posts out.