LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Avoiding the Rash

I've been wearing diapers more frequently now that I can afford it. But I'm starting to get rashes, especially on my sides surprisingly. What do you recommend that helps? I've noticed moisturizing more is good. I want to start using protective creams and baby powder, as I haven't done any of that yet. Do you have any you recommend?

I always use rash cream. I use the Desitin Daily defense. If I have a very bad rash from a run where I chafed my legs raw I will use the maximum strength desitin. 

• Like 2

Sounds like a heat or friction rash. I religiously use baby powder for every change, liberally applied without caking it up. I use Budreaux's Butt Paste for rashes otherwise.

Maybe use a light coating of baby powder on your sides or loosen your diaper up a wee bit?

• Like 2
24 minutes ago, Hannah YMS said:

Sounds like a heat or friction rash. I religiously use baby powder for every change, liberally applied without caking it up. I use Budreaux's Butt Paste for rashes otherwise.

Maybe use a light coating of baby powder on your sides or loosen your diaper up a wee bit?

Yee, I think it was a friction rash, but maybe also a bit of a traditional diaper rash because I am a side sleeper. I was having issues with diapers being loose (see
https://www.dailydiapers.com/board/index.php?/topic/89799-are-diapers-supposed-to-be-loose/) so I've been taping it tighter instead. I think I will try to find a middle ground while also starting to use powder and creams. Thanks for the advice!

• Like 1

I've been 24/7 for 5 years, which makes me somewhat of a diaper expert... although there are people here who have been 24/7 for 20+ years and who probably think I'm still an amateur. But "amateur" means "lover of", so I'm fine with that. But I digress. Getting true diaper rash on your side is relatively uncommon - I might suggest that you test drive other diapers, as well as using cream and baby powder. I found, starting out, that I could wear some diapers for many hours, or go hiking in them in the summer, for example, with no issues, while other products "got under my skin" and resulted in a rash relatively quickly. 

Also, if you get a diaper rash that lasts more than a couple of days, and that doesn't respond to the usual precautions - making sure you're cleaning the area thoroughly, using diaper cream, not wearing crap diapers - your first suspect should be fungi, of the sort that cause jock itch, ringworm, and athlete's foot. Purchase and apply an antifungal cream or powder or spray, per the directions - if it says to use it for two weeks, use it for two weeks, even if your skin looks fine after a couple of days. Dampness, darkness and warmth create ideal conditions for the proliferation of fungi, which will be characterized, typically, by redness, rawness and inflammation that do not respond to barrier creams. 

• Like 2

Yep, I've found I get fungal infections down there especially in humid environments, when wearing regular underwear. Diapers keep things drier ironically and lessen the likelihood of getting irritated for me. 

I'd recommend trying different creams. Bacterial rash -> zinc oxide (sudocreme/desitin), fungal rash -> Clotrimazole or similar (canesten).

You might also be allergic to the material of the diaper or it could be heat rash. Trying different diapers, ensuring you have some air flow, and maybe hydrocortisone can help.

If you have ins go to a skin cancer Dr. I get my hydrocortisone oint from mine, and I use it every night , I coat it with A&D or vasoline with the baby powder smell. But I have very few rashes now with it.

I also have been using the cloth of any kind in my disposable diaper to keep the chemical crap away .