LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

does the DL lifestyle lead to incontinence?

not sure where to post this

for the last few of years i have been wearing nappies for pleasure...

earlier this year i noticed my ability to hold my bladder while not padded is getting shorter

very recently, i've been having accidents where i dont even feel like i need to go then suddenly i go in my pants (mostly pee, occasionaly poo)

i'm wondering if my lifestyle caused this?

If you've been wearing 24/7 for a prolonged period of time, your body may have gotten used to going in a diaper and accepted going in a diaper as normal, just like going to the bathroom and that could be why your ability to retain waste has gotten shorter. 

But if you have any worries or concerns about your body- especially if the accidents seem to be a very recent and sudden development- it's best to see your doctor. Just to make sure everything is fine. A sudden onset of incontinence issues can be an indication of potential serious health problems, even in a healthy young adult. So it's always best to get something checked out just to be safe!

• Like 1

^^ thanks for your response, it's very informative.

i didn't consider that it could be an unrelated health issue, i'll try and bring it up with the doctor.

• Like 1

Are you in nappies "24/7" and if so, for how long have you been?  My experience is that continence DOES degrade but it's very, very slow process.  Others have said that almost any amount of actively managing continence inhibits the process.  After nearly 5 years, I'm still daytime-continent (albeit with range and urgency issues) but I am an intermittent bedwetter.  Even that took a solid year to appear.   If you've suddenly dropped into incontinence, that's probably something you want to have looked at.  As others have said, that would be quite odd.

• Like 2

^^I've been nappies whenever I'm not at work so 19/7 ish as a choice for about the last year and a bit

I wouldn't currently classify myself as incontinent, but the fact that I can't hold it in or feel the need to go does concern me.

So to inhibit the process, I should stop purposely using nappies for a while? I don't want my continence to degrade further.

I'll discuss it with my doctor, but if I can fix it on my own I would very much like to.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, lil_stinkie said:

^^I've been nappies whenever I'm not at work so 19/7 ish as a choice for about the last year and a bit

I wouldn't currently classify myself as incontinent, but the fact that I can't hold it in or feel the need to go does concern me.

So to inhibit the process, I should stop purposely using nappies for a while? I don't want my continence to degrade further.

I'll discuss it with my doctor, but if I can fix it on my own I would very much like to.

My understanding is that it takes not only 24/7 nappies but also 24/7 making zero effort to hold in order to see continence degradation so it really would seem advisable to get checked out to rule out anything else.

As ditching nappies, that's a matter for your preference right now.  The causality between your use of them and the issues you are noticing is nothing more than conjecture at this stage.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, oznl said:

My understanding is that it takes not only 24/7 nappies but also 24/7 making zero effort to hold in order to see continence degradation so it really would seem advisable to get checked out to rule out anything else.

As ditching nappies, that's a matter for your preference right now.  The causality between your use of them and the issues you are noticing is nothing more than conjecture at this stage.

Thanks mate, I'll get it checked out

• Like 1

My experience is similar to @oznl's. I'm closing in on 5 years of 24/7, and I don't have any control issues while awake. I have become an unreliable bedwetter; it doesn't happen all the time but it does happen from time to time, but that took years. During the day, my comfortable cruising range is notably shorter than it used to be, and if I were to ignore warning signals, I'd probably eventually get into a situation where "this is happening", at least in the #1 department, but that also holds true for the not-perpetually-diapered - they'd just take longer to get to their breaking point. Letting myself dribble at will every 15-30 minutes has predictably eroded my holding capabilities. 

The bedwetting is a little more profound; I was a bedwetter as a kid but outgrew it, and when I started wearing diapers to bed regularly, I got annoyed on occasion with being woken up by the need to pee - hey, I'm wearing a diaper, why do I have to wake up for this? It started taking less and less cognitive effort to dispense with the situation, to the point where I was barely waking up at all, and sometimes didn't remember events that the padding underneath me had clearly recorded. From there, it went to "this seems to be happening without my involvement...", which is bedwetting. But intermittently and unpredictably. 

The other notable effect is that I can't stop going once I start. Nobody enjoys doing that, but, I used to be able to if I had to, whereas now, once I open the tap, events have to take their course  - I can't slam the brakes on a transfer, authorized or not - once I start going, I've had the disconcerting experience of looking at the flow and willing it to stop, and it won't stop. So I have to be careful not to get myself into a situation where an uncontrolled event would be catastrophic. For example, when a diaper gives up mid-event and starts leaking. There is no going back!

update:

i've talked with the nurse and she suspects a medicine i'm on has a rare side effect of urinary incontinence.

thanks to all who recommended i seek medical evaluation ❤️