LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

That moment you decide where to tape

Dyson

When I’m putting on a diaper, I spend quite some time before deciding where to put the tapes. It’s a point of no return, at least for the diapers that I use (Tenas and Molicares). If you get it wrong, it’s too bad because you can’t move the tapes without tearing the backsheet. And I am very particular about getting my diaper taped just right. I want it totally symmetrical, snug but not too tight,  and I want it neat and tidy, without it looking scrunched up. So that moment of placing the tapes is totally key. 

Just thought I’d share. Anyone else relate?

• Like 2

There is a brand out there called 'InControl'.  They have a set of numbers along the front tape panel to help folks get their tapes just right.  I use them a lot these days and really appreciate having this panel there.

• Like 2
35 minutes ago, drynot said:

There is a brand out there called 'InControl'.  They have a set of numbers along the front tape panel to help folks get their tapes just right.  I use them a lot these days and really appreciate having this panel there.

I was just going to say the same thing. The majority of the diapers I buy have a reinforced "landing zone" where you can place the tabs, and then reposition them if you need to. Rearz (& InControl, a sub-brand of Rearz) put robust tabs on their products and the glue will usually survive multiple shifts. The MegaMax diapers I have in my inventory have tapes so aggressive that they sometimes rip even the reinforced area, so peeling them back is a delicate process.

But I can relate to @Dyson's experience. I have some NorthShore Supreme's, and Tranquility's ATN diapers in my inventory, and I used to have the NS Supreme Lite's. All of these use the BetterDry/ComfiDry/Crinklz "tab on a tab" system where you land the under-tab on the unprotected shell of the diaper, and then if you want to open the tab, you get one more shot -unless you park it exactly where it was the first time. So, you want to get it right, if you think you'll be opening it more than once. 

And way back in time, I used to buy Depends with tabs - those have no mulligans in them. Once you close the diaper, opening it again rips the cover. I used to create a homemade landing zone with clear packing tape, and also put a kid diaper inside them, to try and get more mileage out of them... and then I discovered real diapers, and never went back. 

• Like 1

I wear Tena too, for a few years they have used double tapes, a darker blue base and the pale upper tape printed with Tena.

Lifting the blue tape from the parking strip and folding it outwards brings the Tena tape with it. Fit your nappy and get it snug, apply the four combined tapes as each corner is ready. To adjust the fit, the Tena tape has a small zone with no adhesive, lift this edge to pull the white Tena tape away from the blue one, which remains where it first landed. Now you have a fresh tape to help with adjustments or so your nappy can be removed and put back on later.

My wife changes me sometimes, once she dropped a tape  too soon in the wrong area and tried pulling it off,  as others note, these don't  come away from the backing. I wasn't sure if mid nappy change was the right situation for me to tell her how the double tapes worked. I risked it, telling her in a subtly submissive way, she was fine with the nappy advice from the baby being changed.

Top or bottom!

Did you know that depending on whether the nappy user is standing or laying down, doing up either the top or bottom tapes first makes a difference to getting a secure fit and can make it easier?

Standing- Top first

Laying- Bottom first

This was user guidance with some disposables I once used. Top first helps when the wearer is standing, when they're probably changing themselves. I followed this and have found that it definately helps with getting a dependable leg seal and fit for use either in bed or about through the day.

On 12/13/2023 at 8:59 AM, Boby said:

Standing- Top first

I put my diapers on standing up. All these years I’ve done the bottom tape first. I just tried top tape first. Total revelation! I’m currently in my best-fitted diaper in living memory. So much better. Thanks for the tip @Boby  !

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry Dyson if you took my info as if it was advice specifically for you as if youre a newbie. It was meant as general topic info, lots of new DL'S read these posts and they may not have the practical experience like us. I don't remember much forum discussion relating to top or bottom 😉

I was wondering about the lack of double tapes on your Tena slips which you mention - In the UK Tena Slip active fit in  Plus, Maxi and Ultima are my normal nappies. All have double tapes, maybe they're exclusive to active fit (plastic backed) only?

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/22/2023 at 12:17 PM, Boby said:

I was wondering about the lack of double tapes on your Tena slips which you mention - In the UK Tena Slip active fit in  Plus, Maxi and Ultima are my normal nappies. All have double tapes, maybe they're exclusive to active fit (plastic backed) only?

Hey @Boby , to answer your question: both my Tena and Molicare diapers do indeed have double tapes. So there is room for one mistake if I get the tapes in the wrong place. Thing is, I don’t like using the double tapes for that purpose. The double tapes let you remove the diaper and put it on again if you need to, and I like to have that option available to me. I don’t do #2 in my diapers and in fact I only occasionally do #1, so being able to take it off and on is important for me.