LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Amonia smell from used disposable nappies

1 minute ago, Jessica1965 said:

Mummy wants to know is there anything she can do for the amonia smell from my nappies in our bin. They get collected every week.

@Jessica1965

What I do Jessica is, that I have learned that you can put nappies in your bin, And of course they're going to smell, and they're going to smell like ammonia, sometimes they stink like poo times that particular smell can be carried into the liner and into your collection bin. what I've learned from experience is that if you use north Shores Disposal bags (https://www.northshorecare.com/shop-for/caregiving-essentials/disposal-bags-pails/northshore-discreetshield-disposal-bags/northshore-discreetshield-disposal-bags-pack25?msclkid=1e5061adf2971810a994025c9425a7c3&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Shopping NSC(BSC)&utm_term=4583039357164882&utm_content=Incontinence Aids)

then what can happen is you put your dirty diaper in into the bag, and you tie it off and then you throw it into your disposal bin. what then happens is that the smell of your dirty Nappy is contained within the disposal bag, And because it is dark color, no one will be the wiser as to what is in it, except for you and mummy of course. I would highly suggest that you end up getting a box of 1000 of these these things come in real handy when you have pooey nappies and you have to get rid of those, and you don't wanna deal with a lot of the smell. What I usually do when it's time to pull the bag out is I will spray the entire can with Lysol, And that will kill all of the nasty smell, but the refills I use for the Jenibel system the three thirty's, fit my bin, and it smells like powder when it goes in. I would highly suggest you use these, because even if Your Nappys stink, the disposal bag will help keep the smell down.

Brian

10 minutes ago, Jessica1965 said:

Thanks Brian. Mummy double bags my wet and poopy nappies.  They still smell.

@Jessica1965

You're welcome Jessica! I've learned from experience that even when you take off a dirty nappy, They can still smell, And depending on how long you wait before changing them, The smell of ammonia can be somewhat overpowering to the point where it almost knocks you out!

Using these north shore disposal bags should be able to help you deal with the smell period since the disposal bags already are scented, it helps mask the odor very effectively. this does not necessarily mean that your bin won't stink at all, but it will lower the amount of smell that mummy has to deal with when she has to clear the bin out, and then spray it out. it it's always a good idea to spray your bin with lysol and make sure that clean because you don't want your bin to stink up the entire house, as you have stated you move the bin away from the house so it doesn't smell common You keep it out of the sun so that it doesn't bake in that aroma! I can I can tell you from having several nieces and nephews, the last time my grammy Leblanc had to deal with the smell of dirty diapers, that she can tell immediately when there's a dirty Nappy in the trash can! she Told me that the ammonia is a dead giveaway, but you can also tell if someone dirty's their nappy if they pooped it, because you can smell it as well!

you can also use these disposal bags For example if you're using wipes and you want to be able to delete an extra step:   By deleting a step I mean that you would probably throw your dirty wipes into a container, because wipes are not flushable, and even when they say they are, it's not a good idea to be flushing them down the toilet even if it says it's OK to flush. the result would be that you'd end up plugging up the Loo with all of these wipes and you don't need to do that! what I do is when I when I wipe myself off, I just throw it in the basket, and when it's time to empty it, I just take a north short disposal bag and load it up with all the trash tie it off and throw it in my nappy bin:  then on Sunday, I take out the entire thing of Nappy's, And I just dump them into the main trash chute in our building!

let me know how it works out for you and Mummy!

Brian

Edited by ~Brian~
Added Additional Information and Edited some information

The strenght of the ammonia smell in a diaper that is worn is all based on the the strenght of ones urine. To reduce this, increase ones intake of water. Also, it is better to change a diaper before the diaper gets that aromatic as to avoid the resultant damage to skin. Urine may smell like ammonia when it becomes concentrated with waste products. A variety of conditions can cause waste products to build up in urine, such as bladder stones, dehydration, and urinary tract infections. In most cases, urine that smells like ammonia can be treated with fluids or antibiotic medications.

Ammonia smells in used diapers (like a bin etc) is based on bacteria breakdown of urine. This can be reduced / eliminated by placing the diapers in airtight bags, but over time, this will grow if left for long enough. In relation to the smell in the bin, the smell can be removed by washing same in water and/or adding bicarbonate of soda.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

A certain amount of that is part of nursery life. However. my wet diapers go in a king size plastic pillow cover. You can get them from > > Medico or Mountain View. The one to get is the 7 mil. They have a zipper closure

Over time, the tree most predominant smells of the nursery were babypowder, pee and rubber

Purpose made disposal bags as mentioned.  Conventional plastic bags - and that includes the consumer trash bags you buy at the supermarket - won't contain strong smells.  Even so, diaper disposal products are not 100% effective and odors will still permeate through after sitting long enough. 

As far as the bin itself - some plastics will absorb the odors and prove very difficult to remove.  If it's metal, a simple thorough washing should be enough.