LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

American Journal Of Psychiatry

Guest diapered469

I don't think they're necessarily saying that every infantilist or diaper lover has a disorder. I just think that this is a relatively new phenomenon for the American Psychiatric Association that they're trying to understand (the spectrum). I don't think paraphilias are classified as a "disorder" either by the APA, although I could be wrong. They even say in the article that the so-called Adult Baby Syndrome isn't classified as a disorder by the APA.

Paraphilic infantilism is only a disorder if 1) It interferes with the person's life (the person who participates in it) and/or 2) Affects the lives of people around that person in a negative way.

Most infantilists need the activities. It's a safe way to deal with stress. That's where psychologists and other professionals have difficulty dealing with the topic. It's not something a patient actually wants to stop doing, in other words.

In one of my novels, (Bikini Twist) I write about the psychosocial side of infantilism, and through the eyes of the "doctor" in the novel, he sees infantilism as a cure and not a disease.

Doing research for Bikini Twist and Alter Ego (Available in hard copy and download from Lulu.com) was fascinating. Of course being interested in infantilism since I was about seven or eight years old--and actively participating in it for most of my life--helped, too.

I believe that infantilists (or AB/DLs at any level of participation) want to find a comfortable way to incorporate the activities into their everyday lives. The most harmful aspect of paraphilic infantilism is that it is not socially accepted. Also, it's very difficult to enjoy something so immensely and not be able to share it with people.

Infantilism is, however, much healthier than booze or drugs!

Baby June

8/21/2007

Thanks for sharing, lil_angel!

The psychiatric community has a lot to learn about us... Although I don't agree with everything in the article, I did enjoy reading it. I, like many here, don't necessarily see infantilism as a disorder, but rather a unique or special way to temporarily escape reality or relieve stress. I have always tried to find balance with this lifestyle, not a cure, even when I thought I was alone in my desires. So, I can relate more to some of the closing comments.

• 1 year later...

I'm considering studying psychology in college, and currently i'm taking a sociology class (which i JUST finished the homework for)... and i'm thinking if perhaps i get an honest degree in psychology and become somewhat respected... you know... let people know i'm not stupid and that i know what i'm talking about... i'd write an AB/DL journal. Perhaps it would clear up some speculation.

Too bad you'd all have to wait a few years. lol

-Sophie

unfortunatelly I have my graduation studies pretty hard core nowadays, so I dont have time to read the journal at the moment, but I hope I may be able to soon.

btw. Sophie, I too plan to go study psychology next year :) who knows, mabye we might bump into each other some day :) but the quorum for getting into the school is really tough, so I hope I will manage...

thanks for the update!

• 2 months later...

You know, curiositykilledthecat is right. Cognitive theory, neurological theory, evolutionary theory, and all the rest were just urban myths. Freud's theory of the subconscious is used to explain everything. If only we could have stopped that madman when there was still time for him to be discredited where he was wrong...!

Grounded by roots of science or not, I have been helped before with depression by the psyciatric community. In repayment, as they seem to have so little knowledge of us and the different "subspecies" or our fetish, I would like to see a pysciatrist about my own fetish. Unlike most of you, I actually do want to stop. I dont want to be wierd or different anymore, but I find myself unable to stop liking it. Whether or not this will ever change, only time will tell. But in the process, at least I can give the psyciatric communtiy a bit more meat to put in their books.

"Unlike most of you, I actually do want to stop. I dont want to be wierd or different anymore......"

Now that makes you think :) First, I want to be different B) I'm nobody's clone, but I don't want to be so different that I get only rejection. And I don't want to stop. I love diapers and I see nothing wrong with that :wub: I know that I can't stop, and that part I wouldn't mind changing.

I'd prefer to have a choice in the matter but since I don't, I'll simply accept that this is who I am and how I'm made and love myself as I am anyway. I'll find a way to deal with this that doesn't hurt anyone and go on with my life :D Many psychological problems come from losing sight of this part of my reply. Be who you are, be different, and be happy about it!

Bettypooh

You know, curiositykilledthecat is right. Cognitive theory, neurological theory, evolutionary theory, and all the rest were just urban myths. Freud's theory of the subconscious is used to explain everything. If only we could have stopped that madman when there was still time for him to be discredited where he was wrong...!

That's beginning to happen. Some Psychs are starting to think outside of the box they used to voluntarily confine themselves in(oh my, a bondage fetish perhaps? :o ). Remember, they are the experts and not us(so why is it that I have enogh sense to not believe everything a proffessed cocaine addict says and they don't?) Hmmmm, maybe the shrink needs to see a shrink? :lol:

Seriously, Freud had a lot of insight into the inner workings of the mind, but he didn't get everything right. I believe that is what we consider "normal" for humans, isn't it? Please keep that in mind if you go into this field and remember that there really is no "thinking outside of the box", there are only "boxes" that you willingly confine yourself to for reasons of comfort and social ease ;)

Bettypooh

• 1 month later...

Really, what if AB/DL is a disorder? Is that a moral judgment? Is it an evil conspiracy by the APA to incite prejudice against us? Does it mean we're obligated to get treatment? I don't see what the big deal is.

If your AB/DL becomes something other than recreational or enjoyable--if it starts to feel compulsive or "out of control," interferes with your responsibilities and relationships, and is a source of distress, or if you are incapable of experiencing sexual pleasure without diapers--then I have absolutely no problem calling it what it is.

If your distress comes solely from other people's negative reaction to your lifestyle, that doesn't mean your AB/DL is a disorder. But you can still benefit from seeing a therapist and learning how to deal with criticism in healthy ways. And anyone who thinks your desire to wear diapers is ruining his or her life could probably stand to see a therapist, too.

please realize that psychology ios the only medicine practice not founded on actual science but rather theory. Who cares what a bunch of idiots who follow freuian ideology think. everything is your mother's fault according to shrinks. :lol:

1. Without theory, there would be no science. Period.

2. I've taken a lot of psychology classes, and many if not most people in the field seem to find Freud outdated.

3. I have several psychological conditions (unrelated to AB/DL), and this "bunch of idiots" has saved my life.

*Sigh* So being AB is now a disorder huh? W/e. I guess I'm clinically insane since I'm Ab AND a sissy. Jeez I must be nutso!......or not. This guy is AB to an extreme. I would never allow AB side to take up all of my free time. I do some what enjoy being a normal 19 year old guy, I just enjoy regressing every now and again. Well if being AB really is a disorder, maybe I really can get a perscription for diapers. Make it less of a strain on my wallet, thats for sure.

The Angel of Hope,

Alice

I've never put much faith in the so called "Experts" mainly because they don't seem to know what makes us tick. Besides, most of us have probably spent more time reserching Infantilism than any shrink. Is it a disorder? It may be for some people, and not for others.....who knows?

On another note, some of you suggest that this is only a "Disorder" if it impacts on your life. In my opinion, there is not one person on here who can say this doesn't impact on their life. Because by simply looking at this site you are using time that could be used doing something else.

Taking myself as an example, and looking back at the impact this has had on my life. First there is the 'man hours' aspect, I must have spent hundreds of hours doing this over the years (If you take into account ageplay time, time spent shopping for clothes, time spent on sites) and I only do it a couple of evenings a week.......many of you do it a lot more than me.

Then there is the financial impact, the baby related clothing/items I have now must have cost me several thousand ££££s over the years, and that doesn't take into account the items I've ditched during a purge or no longer own. That is money I could have spent on other things.

Finally we have to take into account the emotional impact. I've had the emotional stress of telling a loved one, or of a loved one finding out about this. Plus the fact that I kept it a secret for years, all of which added to my stress levels. I think most of you have been in the same boat at some point.

All in all, my view is that this impacts on all of our lives........just some more than others.

Beth