LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Shifting Sands - Chapter 63 - 04/27

Such a pleasant surprise to see a new chapter posted. Not so sure Zack or Elaine are having such a good time. At least the matching outfits hadn’t been introduced yet. Actually here I think Zack was almost more concerned about Elaine than he was with his own diaper. That is at least until he was caught outside and on full display of young strangers. At least he doesn’t know them and will likely never see them again. Looking forward to seeing how the visit at grandmas goes. 

• Like 3

Chapter 42 – One of the Girls

Kim and Kelly pulled open the creaky screen door and knocked on the sun-faded wooden door behind it. A lone lightbulb, enshrouded in cobwebs, shone on the wall beside the door.

A voice sounded from behind the door, although it seemed to also come through the walls around it. “Come on in, girls.”

Kelly turned the doorknob and entered the mobile home, with Kim following behind. The younger girls entered next, carrying their overnight bags, while Zack and Elaine trudged in last. Maddy and Sam wore smiles, Zack looked pensive, and Elaine’s expression was hidden behind the shield of her soother.

Sam & Elain’s grandmother sat on a cracked green leather recliner, in a room adorned with dark fake wood paneling, and a brown shag carpet. She wore a grey housecoat and bright pink socks. A haze of cigarette smoke hung in the air. Illumination came from table lamps with multi-coloured glass shades, positioned in the corners, making it hard to tell what colour the ceiling was.

Kelly spoke. “Kids, this is our mother. Sam and Elaine call her Gran.”

“Hello, children,” the old lady croaked, before taking a drag on the remnants of a cigarette that had been teetering on the edge of heavy glass ashtray. She directed her gaze at Sam. “Come, let’s see you.”

Sam looked at Kim. Kim nodded, and Sam walked across the room, side-stepping a dark, low coffee table made of peeling laminated wood. Gran reached down and lifted the hem of Sam’s dress.

“You brought them in nappies I see. I appreciate that, Kim.” She inserted a finger under the elastic of Sam’s plastic pants at her hip. “She’ll need changed soon. I expect they both will. It’s a bit of a drive. Did you do a poopy, dear?”

Sam gave a slight nod.

“Well good, dear, that’s what your nappy is for. Come, who’s the next little miss?” She let Sam’s dress fall, and wiped her finger on a tissue.

“This is Maddy,” Kelly replied. “She’s my stepdaughter. Her brother’s name is Zack.”

“I can see from over here that Zack’s already in a nappy. Does Maddy need to borrow one?”

“No, mom, I have her in one as well.”

“Well, come over here and I’ll have a look.” Maddy walked forward until she was standing where Sam had been, and Gran lifted the front of her dress, put a finger under a leg elastic, and then let it drop again. “She’s in the same state as her cousin.”  Gran directed her gaze towards the older girl, next. “Elaine, I can see you’ve got your pacifier, does that mean you’re in a nappy as well?”

Elaine nodded but remained fixed in her place, so Kim gave her a pat on the bottom and urged her forward. Elaine walked over and stood next to Maddy, and Gran lifted her dress next, before letting it drop. “This one is even more wet! Send the boy over.” she proclaimed.

Elaine turned and walked back toward Zack, who changed places with her. Gran studied his onesie, before sliding a finger up the side of his left leg, under the elastic of his plastic pants. “That’s some contraption you’ve got on. Did you poop as well? I can’t tell.”

Zack shook his head.

“Well, you will, young man. You all will. We have to try to keep down the amount of laundry you’re making, with four of you running around in baby nappies, so we won’t be changing you every time the wind changes direction, I’ll tell you that. The water is free but the soap and the electricity certainly are not.”

Zack nodded weakly and walked back over to the front door.

“Take them into the bedroom and let them put away their stuff,” Gran announced. “Diapers and dirty clothes go straight into the diaper pail, or right out to the laundry shack – no stinky clothes get left on the floor. Watch your step when you’re climbing up onto the changing table in your room, it’s a bit unsteady, because it’s almost as old as I am. I expect my daughters have already told you that my toilet is off limits to little people. I have to pay to pump the tank out, and there’s no need for it when you’re perfectly fine going in your nappies.”

Kim turned and led the kids up a short hallway. The first door on the right had a padlock on it, which Zack assumed meant it was the washroom. There were two more doors on the right, and then a door at the end of the hall that also had a latch on it, however the lock in this case was hanging off to the side, rather than engaged. They followed Kim into that room.

Once through the door, Zack noted that there was barely any floorspace in the room. It was small to begin with, but was further choked by the presence of four old wooden single beds, jammed together, and an old white changing table that had a stepstool in front of it. The shelves of the changing table were stocked with folded cloth diapers and plastic pants. A shelf above the table held baby powder, and a tall bottle of clear liquid with a pink cap that Zack couldn’t identify. Next to the changing table was a low bucket with a lid on it, which Zack guessed was the diaper pail.

It's literally a pail.

Kim turned to Sam once they were around the corner from the hallway, and out of earshot of the living room. “Was Gran right – do you have a, uh, deposit in your nappy?”

Sam nodded solemnly.

“Well, do you think you’ll be okay for a bit, and we’ll do nappy changes right before bed?”

She shrugged.

“Okay, that’s what we’ll do then. Everyone, if you think you need to go, I suggest you take care of that in the next hour or so, because after dinner, it’s into your bedtime nappies, and you won’t be changed again before the morning. I have one more word of advice: don’t try and hold it for too long. Gran loves dispensing castor oil to children whom she thinks might be withholding. You’re better off doing it on your own terms.”

The two younger girls looked at each other with raised eyebrows. Elaine looked at the floor, and Zack once again looked at the ceiling.

Kim walked over put her hand on Elain’s shoulder. “Are we done with the histrionics for a bit? Can I take your paci? You’re all in the same boat, and Kelly and I have been in your shoes a hundred times. Wearing baby nappies isn’t the worst thing that’s ever happened, I assure you. Gran’s washroom is nasty anyway, I wouldn’t envy me, if I were you.”

Elaine made eye contact with Kelly, and the shadow of a smile passed over the corner of her lips. Kelly took the pacifier out of her mouth and put it on top of the shelf above the changing table.

“I’ll put fresh paci’s for all of you up here on this shelf, for bedtime,” Kelly announced. “Zack, let’s get you out of that snap-suit for a bit of skin time so you don’t get a rash.” She pulled a mag-lock clicker out of her pocket and walked over to Zack, unlocking the collar of his diaper shirt and running the zipper down. Zack slipped out of it and passed it to Kelly, who folded it and placed it on top of his bag, which she deposited at the foot of one of the beds. The girls placed their bags on the crowded floor and then filed out, following Kelly.

When they got back into the tight living room, Gran locked eyes on Zack, standing awkwardly in just his lacy blue plastic panties.

“Get that boy something to wear! He’ll catch pneumonia.”

“Gran, it’s probably eighty degrees in here, and he needs some skin time so he doesn’t get a nappy rash. He’s been in a onesie all day. I really don’t want anything over his diaper for now.” Kelly responded.

“We’ll get him a dressing gown, something. Pneumonia don’t care what he’s wearing.”

Kelly and Kim locked eyes.

“I happen to have something I picked up for him and Maddie in the car.”

Kelly walked outside and returned a moment later with a cream-coloured cotton bag that neither Zack nor Maddie had noticed before.

Kelly walked down the hall and went into a bedroom. Everyone’s eyes followed her. A couple of minutes later, she returned, holding a white short-sleeved nightdress in thin white cotton, with a lace collar and buttons up the back, suspended between her hands in front of her. Another one was folded over her left arm.

“I found a lady online who makes vintage-looking babydoll dresses, and they were just too adorable to resist. Everything else I could find in the lengths I wanted were pink, or had a had a lot of frills, but these were just perfect.”

She held it up in front of Zack, noting that it fell to just above his waist, which would appease Gran’s concerns about his chest being exposed, without covering his diaper.

“Arms up, buddy.”

Zack’s face fell. He lowered his head and took a heaving breath, trying to collect himself. He knew that if he put up a fight, here, in front of Kelly’s mother, Kelly’s response would be completely unpredictable, and possibly measurable on the Richter scale.

He imagined what she might say. “You had no problem running around in your sister’s panties, but now you don’t want to put a nightdress on? I don’t understand…”

Zack grimaced.

Yeah, it might go something like that.

Taking another breath, he extended his arms for Kelly. She pulled the translucent garment over his head. He was too conflicted to offer any resistance. The dress smelled vaguely floral. Kim stepped behind him and fastened the buttons as a lone tear ran down his reddened cheek.

Gran smiled. “You look lovely, and now you’re not going to catch your death. Look at me, I went from having two granddaughters to four, in one night!” Gran cackled until a coughing fit interrupted her. Sam and Maddy giggled briefly.

Zack blushed and studied the floor. The coverlet was undeniably girly, but it didn’t look much worse than his plastic panties did. Elaine approached him and straightened his collar and pulled down his hem at the back, which was hung up on the bulge of his diaper. She took his hand and stood wordlessly beside him.

Kelly addressed Maddy. “I got one for you that matches, my little sweetheart. Take your dress off and let’s try it on.”

Maddy lifted her dress over her head without hesitation, and Kelly replaced it with the delicate white garment. Maddy tilted her head and smiled. Zack took in the image of his younger sister wearing the same outfit he was in, and frowned.

“Wait, I almost forgot…” Kelly left her statement hanging as she walked back to the bedroom, before returning with the cream bag. She reached inside it and extracted two swatches of what looked like white linen. She unfolded one, revealing a bonnet with a lace fringe, and string ties.

She walked it over to Maddy, pulling it around the back of her head and tying it under her chin, before tucking her hair back under the sides.

Gran sucked in her breath. “Adorable,” she whispered.

Kelly unfolded the other bonnet, and advanced toward Zack. She noted a trembling tear at the outside corner of his left eye, and wiped it with the crook of her finger before fastening the bonnet under his chin.

“There, there,” she whispered. “Be a good little boy and smile for Gran.”

“They’re picture perfect,” Gran stated. In response, Kelly walked over to her purse, and picked up her phone.

“Zack, go stand by your sister,” she said.

Zack stood as though bolted to the ground.

Kelly sighed. “Maddy, go stand beside your brother.”

Maddy walked over and stood next to Zack, smiling brightly in an attempt to counterbalance his morose facial expression. Kelly took a picture with her phone.

Gran cleared her throat, drawing everyone’s attention, and then she waived a finger around the room. “I expect four BM’s by bedtime, or it’s castor oil for the little ones.”

Maddy furled her brow. “What’s a B-M?”

“A poop, Maddy,” Kim answered.

“Oh. What’s castorall?”

“Castor oil – O – I – L. It makes you poop.”

“Oh. Yuck.”

“We’ll start the bedtime diaper changes in about an hour, kids. Why don’t you read or colour and we’ll heat up some of Gran’s chicken soup for dinner,” Kelly announced.

________

The kids went back to their bedrooms and sat or laid on their beds. Maddy and Sam talked about what they were going to do when they got back to the cottage, with its boat and deck and dock and boathouse full of squirt guns and goggles, which they had a new appreciation for, in their current spartan surroundings.

Elaine rolled onto her side and tried to avoid thinking about her increasingly soggy diaper. Zack turned away toward the wall and concentrated on making a poop, however small. He succeeded at first only in further wetting himself, but after much effort, he was able to push a small, hard pellet out. Maddy didn’t seem to be giving it any thought, and he had no idea if Elaine would be able or willing to do it by bedtime, either.

I do not want to take whatever that oil is that makes you poop.

“Hey, Maddy.” He said in a low voice.

“What’s up, Zack?” Maddy responded.

“Have you pooped in your diaper.”

“Zack! That’s none of your business.”

“Well it’s going to become all of our businesses if Gran makes us take that nasty oil. So try.”

Maddy rolled her eyes and looked at Sam. “Fine. I’ll try.”

She made a scrunched up, red face and let out an exaggerated growl.

“I did it, Zack. Happy?”

“I don’t believe you. That was fake.”

“Well I don’t care if you believe me. When I get home I’m going back into underwear, like everyone else here, and you’re stayin’ in baby diapers, and then I’ll be the one checking if you’ve pooped, and bringing your diapers to Kelly so she can change your bum.”

“SHUT UP, Maddy…”

Zack was thinking of something else to say, when the bedroom door opened and Kim leaned in.

“Dinner, kids, everyone out to the picnic table.”

Zack sat up quickly. “Whah… we’re eating outside?”

“Yup, it’s a nice night out and Gran has lights strung over the table.”

“But… I’m wearing a nightie.”

“It’s a babydoll. And it’s fine, Zack – nobody around here knows who you are. If anyone happens by, they’re just going to think you’re one of the girls.”

Zack found that to be slim consolation, but the other kids were already getting up and making their way out. Zack followed them reluctantly, wishing he had something else on. He could feel the string from his bonnet digging into the skin under his chin. Kelly had tied it securely.

Once they were seated at the picnic table, Gran placed bowls of soup in front of them, accompanied by buttered brown bread. Zack picked up his spoon and tasted the soup, which was hot and thick, more like a stew.

Greasy but not bad.

“Hang on, jackrabbits – these babies need bibs over their dresses,” Gran proclaimed.

Kim walked into the trailer and emerged carrying four white cotton bibs. Kelly and Kim quickly tied them over the kids’ chests.

The bread tasted homemade. Zack, Maddy, Sam and Elaine set about eating their dinners in silence, amidst the tinking and scraping of spoons on ceramic.

After a few minutes, Gran cleared her throat and addressed the table. “Has everyone done their BM in their baby nappies?”

Maddy, Sam and Zack slowly nodded their heads. Elaine fixed her gaze on the remains of her soup.

“I guess you’re too old and sophisticated, Elaine? Big girl clothes giving you big girl ideas? Well, we’ll see if a little castor oil can put you back in your place.”

Elaine fixed Gran with an adversarial face and said, “I’m not going to eat it, Gran.”

Gran chuckled. “Obstinate girl! You already have. All of you have. It’s in the soup!”

Elain’s mouth fell open.

“Now off with you, babies, go and get your nappies changed and then get into your little beds. I can’t wait to hear how you’ve slept in the morning.”

Gran pushed back from the table and walked back to her old, cracked recliner.

Kelly stood up. “You heard Gran, girls. Zack, stay here and collect the dishes. Elaine can help, since she’s not getting her diaper changed tonight.”

Maddy and Sam looked at each other, got up from the table, and headed to their bedroom. Zack stood and started collecting bowls and cutlery. He waited for the younger girls to leave with Kelly and Kim, and then addressed Elaine in a whisper.

“Elaine, you should see if you can go, even a little, and then they’ll change your diaper so you won’t have to go to bed wet.”

Elaine shook her head. “No, I can’t Zack – I can’t do it.”

“You’re going to be so uncomfortable, Elaine.”

Elaine looked away, and started stacking dishes on the counter.

After a few minutes, Sam and Maddy came walking out, Sam in a pink babydoll dresses, Maddy still in the one Kelly had given her.

“Maddy and I are done, Zack – it’s your turn.”

Zack nodded and walked up the hall. Gran was sitting in her chair, being illuminated by Wheel Of Fortune on an old TV that looked like a piece of furniture. She watched him walk past.

When Zack got into their bedroom, Kelly and Kim were both waiting. He made his way to the stool at the base of the changing table, and climbed up before awkwardly turning and sitting down. Kelly pressed the mag release to the latch on the back of his panties, and then Kim but her hand on the back of Zack’s head and said “Lay back.” Kelly rolled the nightie up to his chest.

Zack laid back onto the table, which was only long enough to accommodate his torso and the tops of his thighs. The rest of his legs dangled off into space, his heels not quite reaching the top of the steps. Kelly slid his panties down around his ankles, leaving them on, and then she stood up and began opening his safety pins. Kim came up next to her, holding a box of wipes, and then Kelly put an arm under his knees and raised his legs until they were almost on his chest. Kim began the cleanup, while Zack studied the back corners of the ceiling and tried to imagine he was somewhere else.

“Now this is going to be a little chilly, Zack,” Kim said, as she reached above him and pulled down a bottle filled with clear liquid, with a pink cap.

“What’s that?” Zack asked, half to himself.

“Baby oil, sweetie. It helps with diaper rash.”

With that, a trickle of cold oil was drizzled across his bum.

What’s with the weird oils out here?!? Castor oil, baby oil…

Kelly pulled the front of his new diaper up and over him, and then Kim pinned it in place, before his plastic panties were pulled back up and secured. His old diaper hit the bottom of the adjacent pail with a thud, and then he was sitting up and sliding off the end of the table, down onto the stepstool.

Kelly nodded her approval. “Good boy, Zack. I like working at this height better than sitting on your bed. I think when we get home, we’re going to get you a changing table, but something a little, uh, sturdier than this thing.”

It was a statement that didn’t require a response, so Zack made his way out of the room. Kim stuck her head out into the hall and summoned Elaine, who started her gallows walk down the hall as Zack passed by.

If they’re not going to change her, what do they need her for?

A few minutes later, Zack had his answer, when Elaine came walking back out, Kim leading her by the wrist. Tears were in the corners of her eyes, her pacifier was back in her mouth, and she was wearing a light blue babydoll dress. On her hands were Zack’s tamper mitts.

Gran laughed when she saw the mitts. “Oh, you got yourself into a bind, didn’t you, little one?”

Kim sat Elaine on the floor and then joined Kelly in the kitchen, preparing bottles for the kids to take to bed with them. They handed them out and then Kim took Elaine by the wrist and stood her up, leading her back to the bedroom. Kelly motioned for the other kids to follow.

Once they were in their room, Kelly passed them their pacifiers, and told them to get into their beds. Kim turned off the lamp in the corner by unplugging it from the wall, and they both backed out the door into the hallway.

“Sleep tight, girls….” Kim said as she pulled the door closed. The kids heard the lock being clicked into place on the latch mounted high on the other side of the door, and then footsteps receding down the hall.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Little Sherri changed the title to Shifting Sands - Chapter 42

This has turned out to be one of my all time favorites - shares some parallels with other favorites of mine such as BabyDoc's The Baby Business.  In fact, one can almost imagine this story coming off of that same storefront...So much control and such wonderful attention to detail in the writing, looking forward to reading more.  Zack is in for a long summer, by the way things are heading. 

• Thanks 1

I have been waiting for this new chapter.  
Absolutely no doubt,  Gran is certifiably crazy.  I guess that’s where Kelly gets it.  Kim on the other hand plays along but at least she shows some compassion and understanding.  
When I heard that lock engaged on the bedroom door all I could think about was how I hope there’s no fire. 
Being a bit older myself, I have experienced the effects of caster oil.  Diapers weren’t involved at that time but I know those four kids are in for a long uncomfortable night. Come morning everyone is going to want breakfast at the picnic table.  They are going to need the fresh air.  
I think you are doing an awesome job writing this and I am already looking for the next chapter. 

• Thanks 1

Well, Gran's a grade A nutcase, but that was very much to be expected. The crazy doesn't fall far from the tree with Kelly it seems. 

I'd say that at least Zack isn't alone anymore in his misery, but it looks like things are only getting worse for all of them.

Great work as always man. Looking forward to seeing where things go from here. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Chapter 43 – And the Thunder Rolled

Zack put his head back against his pillow and closed his eyes, taking the occasional pull on his pacifier. He tried to summon sleep, but sleep seemed reluctant to come. He felt hot in his diaper and dumb in his nightie, which kept wrapping itself around him as he rolled back and forth, vying for comfort in the stuffy room. The string from the bonnet pulled at his chin and felt strange across his cheeks.

He was just drifting off when a flash of light illuminated the tin blinds that covered the windows behind the headboards of the row of beds. A low roll of thunder followed, distant but omnipresent. Maddy, who was in the bed on the far right, clambered over Sam and wedged herself between Zack and Elaine, shaking slightly. She did not like thunderstorms, and the thin walls and single-pane windows of the mobile home did nothing to mute the building din. More flashes followed, and the crashing became louder, then sheets of rain began strafing the roof and the walls.

Zack felt one of the tamper mitts on his shoulder, and realized that Elaine had slung an arm over Maddy, to comfort her.

Zack was less disturbed by the storm outside, than he was by the one that seemed to be brewing inside – inside of him. Although he’d compliantly soiled his diaper earlier, in the hopes of staving off the dreaded castor oil, he hadn’t given it much effort, and now he was feeling like he had to go… and, like he might have to go quickly. Rolling onto his back and clenching his cheeks did little to assuage the building pressure in his lower abdomen.

Then, he heard Elaine’s voice in the darkness. “No…. oh no no no no no…”, followed by muted flatulence, and then a sob. He sat up to look for her in the gloom, and got a brief snapshot of her face during flashes of lightning. Her eyes were clenched shut and she had sweat, or tears on her face; her pacifier pulsed erratically, and he realized that she was whispering something to herself.

Zack’s lapse in concentration ended up betraying him, as he tried to discern what she was saying, and a surge of liquid heat erupted into his diaper spontaneously. Zack pulled his knees in towards his chest, closed his eyes, and tried to breathe through the convulsions, as a horrifying slickness spread from his lower back to midway up the front of his diaper.

As the intestinal contractions subsided, he felt Maddy contorting in response to her own torments, and on the other side of Elaine, Sam started calling for her mommy between sobs. Elaine sat up and started rocking, which Zack assumed at first to be an attempt to comfort Sam, but during another flash of light, he realized that Sam was now standing at the door, softly turning the knob, still saying “Mommy” in a low voice. Another flash revealed ominous trails streaking down the backs of her legs.

A voice from beyond the door responded “Go to sleep, Sam.” It sounded like Kelly.

Sam’s voice hitched as she responded. “I need to poopoo…. Please open the door.”

“Use your diaper, Sam.”

“I already did use my diaper. I need to poo again…. Please, get my mommy.”

“Then use it again, sweetie, and get back into bed and go to sleep like a good girl.”

Sam remained standing at the door, hand on the nob.

Elaine continued rocking, causing the bedsprings to creak in harmony, and then she groaned and rolled over to her side. A wretched stench hung in the still air, as rain battered the window. Zack tried to stay perfectly still, hoping that the contents of his diaper would eventually come to rest. Maddy breathed heavily around her pacifier, pressing her face into the mattress where it met his shoulder. Sam sat down on the floor in front of the door, and eventually went to sleep there.

Zack wasn’t sure exactly when sleep came for him, but when it did, he was grateful.

_____

“HOW MUCH DID YOU GIVE THEM MOM?!?”

Zack’s eyes shot open, and he immediately ascertained that it was morning, and sunlight was streaming in through the gaps in the blinds. Kim was standing just inside the open door to the room, and she had yelled over her shoulder down the hall.

The air in the room was awful, heavy and cloying and wet, pregnant with the smell of human waste. Kim had roused Sam from her spot on the floor, and in the bright morning light, the back of her plastic pants hung below her babydoll, dark as night, and brown streaks painted the backs of her thighs.

Zack sat up, and felt viscous fluid moving in his diaper, causing a tickle at his lower back. Elaine held her gloved hands up like she was being arrested, and looked down at her lap in horror. Maddy sat up, rubbed her eyes, moved to stand, then froze, and sat down again slowly. Her bonnet had worked its way to the back of her neck and was hanging by its strings.

Kelly appeared in the doorway. “Sweet Jesus,” she whispered, before disappearing back up the hall.

Gran’s voice came from in front of the television. “I’m guessing it worked?” she said.

“Oh, it bloody worked. It bloody worked bloody great. I think we need to burn the trailer down,” Kelly responded.

“Don’t use language like that.”

Kim turned and directed her voice down the hallway from the desecrated bedroom. “How about language like this, then? There is SHIT everywhere, Gran. Shit on the floor, shit on the beds, shit on the kids, probably shit on the ceiling. It’s a fucking disaster in here.”

Gran cackled from the kitchen. “I guess you’re not as good at putting nappies on as you thought you were?”

“Gran, no, just no. You poisoned these kids.”

“Castor oil is good for them. You drank gallons of it.”

“Well, I guess you build a tolerance for it over time, then, because it went through these kids like grass through a goose.”

Kim’s voice softened as she addressed the kids. “Listen, girls, I want you to each take a cloth nappy from the change table and do your best to wipe your legs down with it, and your feet. Then, bundle up your sheets with the diapers, and you’re all going to walk down the hall and straight outside with them. Do you understand me? Right out the door and into the yard. Do not go into the living room or the kitchen, and do not touch any of your belongings or clothes.”

She raised her voice a bit. “Kelly, get me that lock clicker, so I can get the mitts off Elaine and the panties off Zack.”

A clicker landed on the floor outside the door, tossed from the down the hall. Kim picked it up and began to advance into the room, then thought better of it, when she looked at the floor.

“Elaine, carefully… come over here.”

Elaine walked over and held her hands out so that Kim could unlock her tamper mitts. She tossed them on top of the change table.

“Zack, I’m going to unlock your panties, but, uh, leave them on for the moment, please.”

Zack walked over to the door, carefully stepping around the droplets and puddles that decorated the floor where Sam had been standing during the night, mewling to be let out. He turned so that she could press the clicker against the latch mechanism at his lower back, and he pulled at the front of his panties’ waistband to gather some slack, once he heard the signature click. The loosening of the plastic garment felt like it sent fluid scurrying in multiple directions. He squished back toward his bed and pulled his sheets off, before wiping his feet on one of the clean diapers that Kim had tossed onto the floor.

One by one, the kids wiped off their legs as best they could, and then tiptoed up the hall and over to the door, which Kelly was now holding open.

Once they were all out in the blinding light of day, the extent of the debacle became apparent. Regardless of the original colour of their various plastic panties, all were darkly tinged at the back. Sam’s legs looked like they’d been painted. Maddy had a thin river running down the back of her right thigh, toward her heel. The back of Zack’s babydoll was stained midway up his back, although his legs were clean. Elaine’s diaper hung low and randomly dripped between her legs. The abundance of fresh air made occasional wafts of foulness all the more offensive.

Kelly walked over and opened the door to the laundry shack.

“Okay, girls, listen – you’re going to bring your bedding over to the laundry shack and toss it onto the floor inside. Then, you’re going to take off your nightdresses and throw them on top. Diapers and panties stay on for the moment… we, uh, still gotta figure that part out.”

“Kelly?” Zack beckoned.

“Yes, Zack?”

“I’m not a girl.”

“Sorry Zack, right, yes. How about, you take your dress off first, and then you walk around to the back of the shack, so the girls can take theirs off out front.”

“Can you open the buttons?”

Elaine stepped forward and unbuttoned Zack’s nightie, and then he peeled it up over his head, working slowly to avoid touching his bonnet with soiled material. He tossed it on top of the pile of sheets on the concrete floor of the shack, then walked around the back of the shack and waited in his uncomfortably soggy diaper.

A movement from between the trees caught his eye, and Zack realized that there was a lady standing out behind the next trailer over, smoking a cigarette. She raised a hand in a half-wave. Zack half-waved back, acutely aware that he was standing there in nothing more than a sagging diaper under plastic panties. He hoped that the vegetation obscured most of her view of him. She continued smoking while he turned and feigned interest in the cracked wooden boards of the back wall of the shack.

After what seemed like a half hour, but was probably about eight minutes, just as the lady started her second cigarette, Kim called Zack back to the front of the structure. The girls’ nightdresses were on the pile in the laundry room, as were their diapers and plastic panties.

“The girls have gone down to the creek to rinse off. Kelly is with them.”

“Naked?”

“Kelly has towels for them to wear back. We’ll wait for them to return, and then you can go down. Strip off your diaper and toss it on the pile, please.”

Zack looked around nervously, and Kim realized that despite the many affronts his dignity had taken in the last week, he still might not want to strip down in front of his step-aunt, so she went into the laundry shack and tossed him a swimming towel.

“You can wrap that around yourself. Just toss it in the laundry when you get back.”

Zack slung the towel around his lower half, and then wrestled inside his plastic panties with the left diaper pin, until he had it removed, whereupon his entire diaper assembly succumbed to gravity with a plop. He stepped out of it.

“Take the other pin out as well, Zack, so it doesn’t go through the machine.”

Zack bent over, using one hand to keep his towel in place, and after a struggle, eventually extracted the other pin from the sodden mess, and handed both to Kim.

They stood, considering each other, without saying much, until the three girls, all wrapped in towels, appeared from the pathway to the creek, accompanied by Kelly, who was carrying bottles of hand soap.

Kim invited the girls to remain outside the trailer for a few minutes while she went in to clean the floor in their bedroom. Kelly made an ‘after you’ gesture with a sweeping hand toward the rocky path that led to the creek, and Zack began picking his way over it in bare feet, while clutching his towel at his waist.

Eventually, they broke out of the surrounding vegetation, into a small clearing that abutted a widening of what was otherwise a mid-sized creek. There was a rope swing hanging from a birch tree, and the area looked like it was sometimes well-enjoyed, but right now, it was mercifully deserted.

Zack walked into the water until was midway up his shins, then turned and tossed the towel onto the beach, and walked rapidly into the chilly water. Kelly picked up the towel and tossed him the bottle of hand soap, before turning and walking up the path again.

She’s getting me a clean towel.

Zack applied the soap to his hands and then began bathing himself in the water, feeling vaguely guilty at the pollution he felt he was contributing to. Whoever was downstream of the swimming hole had no idea what was coming their way. He tried to keep his bonnet dry, unsure if getting it wet would vex Kelly, even though the matching dress had been devastated by the night’s events.

Kelly reappeared moments later with a lavender robe.

“This disaster has left us out of towels for the moment, little man, so you’ll have to make due with this.”

Zack sighed and walked up out of the water before threading his arms through the sleeves and pulling the robe closed around him. They walked in silence back to the trailer, where the girls were still standing in the clearing in their towels.

“Cute robe…” Maddy offered.

Zack rolled his eyes. Sam and Elaine were huddled together, perhaps in an attempt to deal with the trauma of the night’s events. Gran appeared in the window every now and then, holding a cigarette. Eventually, Kim came out of the trailer with a bag of trash, and commented that it took her longer than she thought it would to clean up the room.

“Girls, you can head into the room now, and we’ll be there in a moment to get you diapered,” she said.

Kelly raised a hand. “Can I suggest something? Maybe the girls should put their bathing suits on and go sit by the creek for a while? Maybe we could all use a little time away from diapers? Other than Zack, of course. I, for one, don’t want to deal with any more of them, this morning.”

Zack noted that Kelly wasn’t lumping him in with ‘the girls’ anymore. Well, there’s that, at least.

Kim let out a loud breath. “Yeah, probably. Girls, why don’t you put bathing suits on? If Gran says anything, tell her to talk to me.”

The girls smiled and dashed off to get dressed. Zack stood in place, unsure of himself.

Kelly read his facial expression. “Zack, I brought a couple of your swim diapers – why don’t you put one of them on? I’ll bring one out to you.” She turned and walked into the trailer, returning moments later with the aquatic-themed pull-up.

Zack took the diaper and stepped into it, before pulling it up under his robe, and then he paused, unsure of himself.

Which is worse… walking around in a girls’ robe, or, walking around in a swim diaper that looks like it was designed for a toddler…?

He settled on wearing just the diaper, and stripped off the robe, before tossing it back to Kelly. After the damp, fetid bulk of the cloth diaper and the confinement of the plastic panties, the swim diaper felt downright airy, and it certainly didn’t look any more ridiculous.

Kelly eyed Zack as though taking a measure of him. The examination made Zack nervous, and he looked at his feet.

“Zack,” She said, “I can’t put the tamper mitts on you if you’re going to go swimming. So, I’m going to have to put you in one of your lockable sunsuits. They can be worn swimming, and it’ll dry quickly, according to Mr. Burke, and give you some sun protection as well.”

Zack nodded emphatically. Anything was better than wandering the trailer park in what looked like a giant pull-up. Kelly trotted back into the trailer and returned a few moments later with the white sunsuit. Zack’s face fell a bit. Kelly unzipped the back and held it open for him to step into. He put his legs into the bottom of the suit, and Kelly fed it over his arms and zipped it up, then clicked the securing mechanism into place over the zipper.

Zack looked down at himself in the bright sunlight, and could make out both the shape, and the print of his swim diaper, under the snug white material.

Zack spoke up. “Could I wear the darker one? This one is kinda see-through, and it’s not even wet yet.”

“Sorry, kiddo, I want to keep the other one clean for the drive back, in case we stop anywhere. Anyway, you look cute!” She gave him a light tap on bottom, causing a puff of air to brush his lower back. Zack felt a lump in his throat and the corners of his eyes getting wet, but swallowed, took a breath, and got past it. He didn’t want a pacifier added to his ensemble.

Kelly reached under his chin and mercifully untied his bonnet. “You look adorable in this, but it’s not meant for swimming.”

In a short while, the girls came out in their bathing suits, a pink one-piece for Maddy, purple for Sam, and a grey two-piece bathing suit for Elaine, but under a black wrap, so that Gran wouldn’t comment on it. Elaine took in Zack’s getup and put an arm over his shoulder in silent commiseration. The rest of them were getting a reprieve from the nursery look, for the morning, but Zack was not.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Little Sherri changed the title to Shifting Sands - Chapter 43

Wow sometimes there are no words. Some interesting things happened but poor kids. And Kelly had to put him in a locking thing after all that, you really think he is going to take it off while swimming. My my

• Like 1

Good chapter though I think Gram would have been happier if he was pinned into a couple of cloth diapers without plastic  panties. Then a borrowed one piece suit from one of the girls would hold his diapers snuggly when wet as well as hiding most of them from passers by.

• Like 1

Not sure where my post went.  I guess the site thinks I need practice typing on the phone.

Well that went just about how I expected it to.  Honestly the mental image this chapter gave me was not that pleasant. I can say I am very happy I wasn’t the one that had the task of cleaning up the mess.  
Looking forward to the next chapter. 

• Like 1

You would think that Kim and Kelly would want to keep their kids away from their crazy mother.  They could have kept the kids at he cabin and took turns visiting their mother and not inflicting such trauma on them. It's not like Gram is wanting to see them and they are all bonding together with special grandma time. They barely got upset at her for feeding them so much castor oil.  

Lets not even get into them not checking on the poor girl banging on the locked door crying in the middle of the night. About a snowballs chance in hell Gram is ever going to meet a great grand child.

Keep up the torture it's fun to read!

April

• Like 2

Chapter 44 – Extracted

Sam and Maddy ran ahead down the dirt path, brushing aside branches as they charged back toward the swimming hole in the creek that had earlier being their communal bathtub. It was later in the morning and the sun was approaching its zenith, so there were a few kids from other trailers splashing in the water or swinging out off a slight hill, arcing over the water, and landing with a splash.

The water was not particularly deep, and the pool not very wide, so Sam explained to Maddy as they awaited their turn, that she had to let go of the rope while she was over the center of the pool, not out at the far side or on the backswing towards the shore, or else the water would be too shallow. Sam demonstrated when it was her turn, swinging out and then letting go with a squeal, and splashing down in the middle of the pool. When she stood up, Maddy could see that the pool was about of chest depth on Sam.

When it was Maddy’s turn, she tried to copy Sam’s release point, and landed in about the same spot, splashing into the cool water, and noting as she did that the bottom was soft mud. Closer to the other side of the creek, there were rocks, and the water depth was lower. She waded back to the shore and rejoined Sam for another swing.

Zack and Elaine rounded the termination of the path and entered the small grass and sand clearing around the swimming hole, when Zack stopped. He didn’t realize that there would be other kids swimming. There were two smaller boys and a girl, who looked around six or seven, and then two brothers around Sam & Maddy’s age, judging by their size. The taller of the two looked up when Zack and Elaine came out of the trees.

“Hey!” he yelled their way.

Elaine half-raised a hand, but Zack just stood. Hunter and Colton had been surprisingly tolerant of his infantile outfit, but Zack knew that was not the common schoolyard response when someone materialized wearing baby clothes. Prior to this summer, if Zack had been introduced to a kid his age in a diaper, he probably would have ribbed the kid, too.

The two kids ambled over, both wearing t-shirts and muddy jean shorts that they seemed to be treating as bathing suits. The taller kid had a baseball cap on. Zack could see his eyes opening wider as they approached.

“Holy crap, did you forget to change out of your PJ’s? Why you wearin’ that pull-up, dude?”

The other kid laughed out loud. The little kids playing in the sand by the water paused to look, but didn’t say anything. Maddy and Sam came up out of the water and closed ranks around Zack.

“Leave him alone!” Maddy barked, with a fierceness that surprised Zack, who guessed that maybe she wasn’t entirely over the trauma of the previous night yet.

“You wanna make fun of him, I’m gonna throw you in the creek!”

“Easy, shorty,” the boy responded. “I just wanna know why he’s wearing a pull-up.”

“IT’S NOT A PULL-UP, IT’S A SWIM DIAPER!” Maddy hollered.

Zack appreciated her enthusiasm but wished she hadn’t been so quick to clarify.

“Oh, sorry, I didn’t realize it was a diaper, my mistake….” Both boys burst out in a fit of giggles. “Your diaper’s gonna explode if you go in the creek.”

The other kid cut in. “Maybe it’s already exploded?” They both became paralyzed with laughter again.

Maddy fired again. “IT’S MADE FOR SWIMMING IN YOU STUPID DOLTS!!!”

The boys ignored Zack and addressed Maddy. “Well, why’s he gotta wear a diaper to go swimming? That’s just weird. Is he gonna pee in the creek? I pee in the creek every day!”

Zack decided he’d had enough of Maddy putting herself between him and these kids. He’d played baseball for years, he’d spent plenty of time on various the playgrounds of childhood life. He might be dressed like a toddler, but he’d stood up to bigger kids than these.

“Do you guys want to see if my diaper affects my ability to kick your asses across this shit-eating trailer park?” Zack said in an even voice.

“Whoa….” Sam said under her breath.

“What did you say to me, diaper boy?” the taller kid asked.

“I asked if you want to get the crap kicked out of you by a kid in a diaper.”

The shorter kid took a step back, perhaps in anticipation of what the taller kid was about to do, but, the taller kid had suddenly become a bit circumspect. The kid in the swim diaper and the weird pajamas was an unknown element. Everything in tall kid’s training told him the sissy in the diaper was supposed to back down. When he’d confronted kids wearing pants that were too short, or maybe their sister’s socks, his victims had always fled in shame. IF this turned into a scuffle, and IF he did get bested by the diaper kid, that might haunt him for a while, depending on who witnessed it. And there were a few kids looking over at this point.

Short kid hadn’t read the situation yet, and he said “Come on, Dustin, let’s toss this kid in the mud.”

Maddy took a step forward and pushed the short kid hard in the center of his chest. Short kid did not know what to make of that; he hadn’t spent a lot of time in disagreements with girls, and wasn’t sure what the rules of engagement were. He had an instinct that pushing her back might have greater consequences than not doing so. However, the interaction gave tall kid an out, and he took it, turning on his buddy.

“Ha! You just got whooped by a girl!”

Short kid looked crestfallen. “I did not get whooped!”

“Yeah, well, she gave you a good shove. Anyway, let’s get out of here – I’m not going in the water with diaper boy, anyway, he’s probably sitting on a load already. You girls let me know if you need help changing him!”

With that, tall kid turned and walked off towards another path that cut into the woods, and short kid was left scrambling to catch up.

“Jerks.” Elaine said under her breath.

Maddy, still with a head of steam built up, yelled “NO, THEY’RE ASSHOLES” at their receding backs.

“Maddy, there’s little kids here….,” Zack responded, but then said, “Thanks, though.”

“The kids think those guys are assholes too.”

Sam looked at everyone, then turned and ran for the rope swing. Maddy immediately followed. Elaine tossed her wrap over a branch, then took Zack by the hand, and they walked over to the swing. The younger kids playing in the sand had gone back to their private world, and Zack began to relax a bit.

Sam and then Maddy splashed down into the water, and then Elaine gave the rope swing a try, beckoning Zack to join her once she was standing in the cloudy water and clear of the landing zone. Zack wasn’t sure that he wanted to increase the transparency of his outerwear, but he realized that standing waist-deep in the water was its own camouflage, so, he grabbed the rope and swung out, releasing a bit too early, and landing in a couple of feet of water, and mud that went up to his shins. He stepped forward slowly, like a swamp creature, until the suction broke, and he was able to wade in to where he just looked like a kid wearing a slightly odd white t-shirt. He felt his diaper fill with creek water. It was alarmingly cool at first, but he quickly got used to it.

Elaine splashed Zack in the face with a handful of water, and Zack swept the surface in a wide arc to return fire with an even greater volume. Next, he decided to give the rope swing another try, while nobody new had yet arrived at the swimming hole. He walked through the muck with exaggerated steps and then waived first one foot, and then the other, in the shallow water close to the shore, where the bottom was sand and pebbles, to rinse the mud off.

Looking down, he noted that his sunsuit was indeed less concealing than it had been when dry, and the aquatic print on his swim diaper seemed to be glowing.  He wasn’t sure if it would have been better to just be in his swim diaper, or not. There was not a lot of sun at the swimming hole; a sun suit did not seem necessary. And the jerks they’d chased off had discerned that he was wearing something babyish from fifty paces.

Elaine, as though reading his mind, called to him from inside the water. “I don’t understand why you have to wear that stupid thing.”

“It’s because Kelly wants to run every aspect of my life, basically – she thinks she’s becoming my mom.”

“Also…,” Maddy added, “she thinks that Zack will find it harder to get used to always wearin’ diapers if he gets to not wear them sometimes.”

Sam turned to Maddy. “So he has to wear diapers ALL the time?”

Maddy nodded. “All the time. I only wear pull-ups to bed normally. Except up here.”

Sam nodded. “Well, my mom uses cloth ones because she doesn’t like disposables, but I only haveta’ wear them to bed as well. Elaine doesn’t even wear diapers at all, normally.”

“Except up here, because Gran is crazy,” Elaine added.

Zack walked along the edge of the creek, back to the rope swing. “I’m just going to try and forget this week ever happened when I get back home. I’m going to talk to my dad, because this has gone too far.”

“Wasn’t he sposed’ to come up this week?” Maddy chirped.

“Yeah, I’m sure he got busy at work or whatever. If he were here, I guarantee you we wouldn’t have had to sleep in dirty cloth diapers last night.”  

Zack grabbed hold of the rope, turned, and walked as far back from the shore as he could, and then took a running leap out over the water.

“Zack, watch out!” Sam shouted, but Zack had no idea what she was shouting about. He waited until the rope reached the top of its arc to let go… and he overshot the center of the pool, landing closer to the opposite shore. His feet broke the surface of the water, and then Zack immediately tumbled back and flailed, letting out a gasp, and then struggled to right himself, reaching around with his hands in the shallow water for something to put his weight on.

Maddy let out a laugh, but Elaine launched herself forward with a couple of swim strokes and then got her feet under her and took hurried steps towards him.

“Zack, are you okay?”

Zack took a hissing breath in through his teeth and then let out a shaky moan.

“Ahhhhh…… ssssssshhhhh………  I landed on something hard.” Zack let out another shaky breath as he sat back, realizing he was in shallow water, and lifted his right ankle above the surface before grabbing his shin with his hands and pulling it in towards him.

Maddy saw immediately that Zack’s foot did not look right somehow, appearing twisted and off-angle, almost fake… and then she saw blood dripping off his heel. With a sharp intake of breath, she turned and ran towards the pathway. Sam looked at Zack’s foot, looked at Maddy’s receding back, screamed, and ran after Maddy.

Elaine picked her way over submerged rocks until she was standing next to Zack. He was struggling to keep his foot above the water with one hand, while keeping a hand behind him. She went around behind him, stooped down, and threaded her arms around his chest, helping him scootch back until he was seated on a flat rock in a few inches of water, and then she took a good look at his foot.

She did not like what she saw; his foot was obviously not in the normal position, his ankle looking like it was 45 degrees off being in line with his shin, but the angle was outward, not inward. The skin on the inside of his ankle was stretched and split for about an inch, like he’d landed on something sharp, and when he elevated it for a better look, blood quickly welled up out of the wound, which was shaped like a lighting bolt, and started dripping freely into the water.

Elaine felt slightly lightheaded looking at his ankle, but did her level best not to panic, and tried to speak calmly to Zack. “Uh, that’s gonna need stitches, I think. Might have sprained your ankle, too… you probably want to wait for the moms to come, rather than trying to walk on it right now.”

Zack closed his eyes and turned away from the view of his ankle, but kept his shin clamped in his hands, feeling that putting it back into the water might be worse, somehow, than keeping it dry.

“I think it broke. It hurts like crazy, and I felt something go ‘snap’ when I landed. Stupid rocks!”

“Zack, let’s keep sliding you back until you’re up on the shore a bit, okay? I’ll help you, and you push with your good foot, and keep that one up.”

Elaine squatted and hooked her arms under Zack’s, then dragged him backwards up the bank and out of the water, as Zack used his good foot and his arms to assist, while concentrating on keeping his ankle out of contact with anything. Once they were up on the sandy shore a bit, Elaine sat down on the ground perpendicular to Zack, and extended her legs so he could rest his legs on them, without his ankle touching the ground. Zack bent his uninjured leg and laid back on the ground, taking loud, irregular breaths. Elaine could feel that he was shaking.

She tried not to look at his foot, but when she did chance a glance at it, she saw that there was a small but growing puddle of blood on the ground beneath it. She wished she had a towel or something close at hand to wrap around the gash. The wrap she’d worn over her swimming suit was slung over a branch on the other side of the creek, and she wasn’t sure how good a job the light synthetic material would do as a makeshift bandage.

Just then, Maddy came jogging back out of the pathway, with Sam and Kim behind her. Kim looked across the creek at Zack’s ankle, and stopped in her tracks.

“I’m going to get the truck and drive around to the other side where you guys are! There’s a path over to the road on that side, and I think that will be quicker,” she said in a raised voice. “Stay there!”

She ran back up the path. Sam and Maddy stood on the opposite shore of the creek, unsure of what to do.

“Sam, grab my swimming cover!” Elaine yelled, while pointing in an exaggerated fashion towards where it was slung over a branch.

Sam raced over and retrieved it, then waded across the creek in a shallow spot up from the swimming hole, where it was less muddy. She brought it over to Elaine.

“Here, Sam, hold his leg up.” Sam crouched down and wrapped an arm around Zack’s shin, and Elaine slid her leg out and then took her wrap, and tried as gingerly as she could to encircle the bleeding ankle.

“Ouch ouch ouch OUCH!!!!” Zack winced. Elaine stopped, unsure how to proceed without hurting Zack. At least the black material obscured everyone’s view of his torn flesh, she thought, still feeling a bit lightheaded. Sam seemed fascinated by the puddle of blood on the sand, which wasn’t sinking in as quickly as water would have. Maddy made her way across the creek where Sam had crossed, and then came over and sat next to Zack, taking one of his hands.

“You’re going to be fine, Zack. Just hang on,” she coached him.

Moments later, Kim and Kelly came through the trees again, now on their side of the creek, and jogged over to where Zack was lying back on the pebbly sand. They both kneeled, and Kim delicately removed Elain’s wrap from the ankle.

Kelly took in a sharp intake of breath. “Christ! That’s broken, for sure. Might even be a compound fracture. Jesus. How the hell did you manage this, little man?”

Zack said nothing, so Maddy explained. “He let go of the rope too late when he was swinging, and he landed on rocks.”

“OUCH. That sounds like it wasn’t much fun, buddy. Listen, we’re going to help you stand up, and then I think that we’re going to have to carry you over to the truck. We have to get that looked at right away.”

Kim placed a hand on Zack’s shoulder. “Are you ready?”

Zack nodded weakly. Kim and Kelly each took one of his forearms in their hands and pulled him to his feet, while he concentrated on not putting any weight on his damaged ankle. Kim came around in front of him and squatted a bit, scooped an arm under his upper thighs, and then stood up, lifting Zack from the ground. Zack slung an arm around her neck to stabilize himself. Water wicked from his outfit and squeezed out of his diaper, soaking the front of her shirt.

“You’re not so big that you can’t be carried, lucky for us!” Kelly said, as she turned and took short steps back toward the path they’d emerged from, leading the way for Kim. Zack had his eyes closed for much of the trip, but realized from glances he took periodically that they were walking down a trail between two trailers on the opposite side of the creek from Gran’s, which put them on the road where Kim’s truck was parked.

She kept Zack in her arms while directing Kelly to open the back door, and fold one of the back seats up out of the floor in the cargo area, and then fold a center seat down, so that it could act like an ottoman, supporting Zack’s leg, while he sat in the rearmost seat. Kelly took a travel pillow and placed it on the flattened seatback, to act as a support for his shin.

“Elaine, keep his ankle from touching anything,” Kim said.

Elaine stood behind Kim and put two hands on Zack’s shin just above the damaged ankle, keeping it from coming into contact with the interior of the car as best she could, while Kim leaned in and placed Zack in the back seat, the way she might have deposited a sleeping toddler into a car seat. She grunted with the effort. She pulled a stack of napkins out of the door pocket and positioned them under Zack’s heel, to try and catch the trickles of blood seeping from his ankle.

Kelly addressed the girls: “Sam, Maddy, go back up the path to Gran’s, and tell her that I’ll call her from the hospital in town once we get there and know more about what’s going on. Elaine, you can come with us – I want you to sit next to Zack and try to keep his leg still. We’ll stop for a second at the trailer and you can grab something to pull on over your bathing suit. Grab Zack a towel and one of his pacifiers. If Gran tries to stop you or says anything, just say you don’t have time right now. Maddy, Sam – Gran will have to pin you back into your diapers, we don’t have time. Don’t give her any trouble. I want to hear that you’re wearing your diapers like good little girls when I talk to her later. Hear me?”

Maddy and Sam looked at each other and nodded.

“Off you get then, we’ll drive around and meet you there.”

Sam and Maddy steaked back into the trees, and Kim put the truck in drive and picked her way back to their trailer, trying to take the speedbumps with only two wheels, and going slowly over the joint where the gravel road met the bridge over the creek. She pulled up in front of the trailer and saw Maddy and Sam standing expectantly on the front lawn.

Elaine got out of the truck and ran into the house, emerging moments later with a light blue dress pulled on over her bathing suit. She handed a folded towel to Kim, then offered her a white pacifier.

“Give it to Zack.”

Elaine sat back down inside the car, then leaned over and pressed the silicone nipple to Zack’s lips. He accepted it without opening his eyes.

“Listen, buddy, I’m sorry, but this is going to hurt a bit,” Kim said. “I have to bandage your ankle. I’m going to try not to move it much, but we have to slow the bleeding down a bit, and keep it covered as best we can.”

Zack nodded and kept his eyes clenched shut. The pacifier hung limply from between his lips until Kim pressed the towel to his ankle, at which point he winced, and began suckling furiously and breathing through his nose. Elaine leaned over and hugged him.

“Good boy, almost done.” Kim wrapped his ankle delicately but snugly, tucking the towel into itself at his shin. The napkins she had placed under his heel were already getting saturated in blood from the laceration. She tossed them out of the car, slammed the door shut and jogged around to the driver’s seat.

“Hold on everyone, we’re going to drive aggressively for stretch,” Kim warned, and then she put the SUV in drive. All four tires briefly tossed gravel as she applied the throttle.

Kim got some dirty looks as she maneuvered through the tight inner laneways of the trailer park, where several residents had placed “SLOW DOWN” signs at the ends of their driveways, but she paid them little mind, concentrating instead on gaining as much speed as possible on the level stretches, and slowing down around turns and over ruts and bumps, to reduce how much Zack was jostled. Once she reached the paved county roads, she set a pace well above the speed limit, but not so fast as to be reckless.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Little Sherri changed the title to Shifting Sands - Chapter 44

Wow this story keeps surprising me, I knew there was something about this one. I thought they were doomed but nope there is a shallow lake with other kids, and wow the kids really had a moment. Poor Zach though that sucks so bad. 

I hope for more surprises. 😄

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Loved the new chapter.  If Zack is embarrassed by being seen in a diaper by some boys he doesn’t even know, just wait until he gets into the ER. For me being in the ER and having my diaper exposed and changed is the most embarrassing thing ever.  Having a compound fracture is sure to land him in a hospital bed for at least a few days as well.  He will either have a catheter or be in diapers for length of his stay to. Then just about every person coming into his room is going to want to check him.  I hated being in the hospital. 
I am looking forward to the next chapter. 

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, CDfm said:

Loved the new chapter.  If Zack is embarrassed by being seen in a diaper by some boys he doesn’t even know, just wait until he gets into the ER. For me being in the ER and having my diaper exposed and changed is the most embarrassing thing ever.  Having a compound fracture is sure to land him in a hospital bed for at least a few days as well.  He will either have a catheter or be in diapers for length of his stay to. Then just about every person coming into his room is going to want to check him.  I hated being in the hospital. 
I am looking forward to the next chapter. 

Ikr he is so doomed having to go to hospital. 😭

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Chapter 45 – Mercy Rules

Kelly looked back at Zack and Elaine as Kim deftly passed slower traffic on straight sections of the two-lane highway. Zack was slumped down in his third-row seat on the passenger side, using the seatback of the folded-down second row as a footrest. He looked pale. Elaine sat in the second row on the driver’s side, with a hand on Zack’s shin to help stabilize his foot.

“Which hospital are we aiming for?” Kelly asked. She glanced at the clock on the dash, which indicated the time as 10:32. That felt early to her – it seemed like a lot had already happened this morning.

“Salem has an ER, but I can pretty much guarantee you that they’re going to end up sending us to Mercy in Portland, because it’s a children’s hospital, and what Zack’s done to his ankle is going to take more than a tensor bandage and some Motrin to put right. He’s going to need to see a specialist. I’m going to head straight there, and cut out the stopover.”

“How far is that?”

“It’s normally about two hours, but I think I can make it in ninety minutes.”

Wind rushed around the windows and the tires slapped expansion joints in staccato bursts as the SUV punched a hole through the morning air. Long stretches of undeveloped countryside gave way to intermittent suburban enclaves, which transitioned to continual evidence of human occupation, as they drew closer to the cityscape of metropolitan Portland. Kim navigated a series of cloverleafs in rapid succession, and then they were zipping through valleys between tall buildings, until the looming concrete structures became lower and sparser again, and they reentered the suburbs.

Finally, a wide four-lane boulevard took them towards a leafy campus, dominated by a wide midrise white building and some parking structures. A sign at the entrance read ‘Mercy Children’s Hospital’, below which was a red arrow indicating the direction of the emergency entrance. Kim followed the arrow and pulled up in front of a bay of entrances, putting her four-way flashers on as she parked in front of a No Parking sign. Kelly jumped out of the truck and fast-walked through the closest set of doors, emerging a minute later with a wheeled pushchair that she set next to the rear door of the vehicle.

Kim walked around to the passenger side, and assisted Kelly and Elaine in carefully extracting Zack from the back seat. He was able to assist in the transfer to the chair, using his arms and his left foot, but, he was preoccupied with keeping his right leg hovering above all obstacles.

Once he was seated in the chair, Elaine leaned in and whispered into his ear. “Do you want your paci for this part, or do you want me to take it?” Zack extracted the pacifier and handed it to Elaine, who then dropped it into Kim’s purse. He’d been in shock and more than a little distracted during the unexpected journey to the hospital, but was now actively processing his predicament, and was mindful of the fact that he was about to be wheeled into a room full of strangers in a wet pull-up under a thin sunsuit. A pacifier would only draw further attention to his juvenile outfit.

Kelly saw the exchange, and narrowed her eyes, so Elaine said, “So he doesn’t lose it.”

Kelly pushed the chair through an entranceway, while Elaine held Zack’s hand and walked beside him. Kim saw them into the bustling hallway, and then left to park the car.

Inside the doors, which opened automatically, there was an atrium with an information desk in the center of it. Off to the left of the entrance were rows of chairs, most of which were occupied by children young and older, and the people accompanying them. The sounds of crying babies and babbling toddlers echoed in the high-ceilinged space, competing with the bleeps and bloops of tablets and phones and portable gaming systems being used to entertain the older patients. Some kids listlessly slumped in chairs or slept in the arms of their parents, emitting occasional coughs. It looked like the scene in front of her had been playing out for hours.

Kelly shuddered inwardly. This was going to be awful, and, they’d probably all end up with the flu, as well. But there was nothing to be done; the careless boy had damaged himself, and in the process, had also damaged their vacation. She rolled the pushchair towards a window with a sign above it that read, ‘Check In Here’.

A nurse behind the glass leaned forward in her chair as the trio approached, taking in the white towel wrapped around Zack’s right ankle, which was turning red on the inward side. Noting that his foot had a slightly unnatural hang to it, she stood up and pointed Kelly towards a set of doors off to the right of the admissions desk, and then she left through the back of her office and came around to open the doors for them.

Kelly pushed Zack through the doors and out of the waiting area, into the inner workings of the busy ER. The nurse waived them into examination alcove just inside the door.

“What have we got here?”, she said to all three of them.

“This is Zack,” Kelly responded. “He was playing on a rope swing over a creek, and he landed on some rocks and did a number on his right ankle.”

The nurse, wearing light blue scrubs, leaned over Zack.

“Hi, Zack – I’m Nurse Tina. I’m going to take a look at your ankle, okay?”

Zack nodded. Tina unwrapped the towel and let it fall away from the wound, before revealing her alarm at what she was seeing with a slight intake of breath. Projecting her voice, she spoke over her shoulder, toward a cluster of other people who were wearing scrubs, around a central desk.

“We’re putting this one straight into Exam 3!”

Eyes raised and heads turned at the note of urgency in her voice, and what had looked like uncoordinated milling about suddenly became directed. Nurse Tina stepped behind the push chair and took it down the hall past a series of occupied rooms with open sliding doors, until they came into one that was unoccupied. Two scrub-clad professionals streamed in behind them.

Tina looked at Kelly and Elaine.

“Mom, you can stand by his head. Sister, have a seat over there…” She indicated an empty chair in the corner of the room with a pointed finger.

“Zack, we’re going to pick you up as gently as possible and put you up on this examination table. If anything hurts, you tell us, okay? My colleague Quan is going to keep your ankle still, while Patrick…” – she indicated the other person in scrubs – “is going to help me lift you up. Patrick, you lift his shoulders, I’ll lift his hips.”

Tina, Quan and Patrick positioned themselves around Zack, and then Quan gave a one-two-three count, and they lifted him smoothly out of the pushchair and placed him on an exam table in the middle of the room. Zack winced briefly during the transfer.

Someone else came in and took the pushchair away, while Quan put a blood pressure cuff on Zack’s right arm, and clipped an oxygen meter to he left index finger. Patrick looked up at Kelly.

“Mom, we’re going to have to cut his outfit off, okay? Sorry about that. There’s no way to get it off that wouldn’t cause a lot of pain.”

Kelly nodded, and Patrick took a pair of shears that were bent at forty-five degrees in the middle, with blunt tips, inserted them under the sunsuit on Zack’s right thigh, and quickly ran them up his torso to his collar, before bisecting his right, and then his left sleeve. Finally, he made a cut up the left leg, and the suit now lay in pieces around and underneath him. Kelly was surprised at how easily the material had come apart – he hadn’t even really been opening and closing the shears.

Zack was amazed how quickly his clothes had vanished, now being pulled out from under him from both sides. The man, Patrick, ran a finger along the inner surface of the waistband of his swim diaper, and then turned away and washed his hands.

“We’re going to change his pull-up, okay mom?” he said over his shoulder, then he returned to the table and quickly ran the shears up both sides of Zack’s hips. He walked out of the examination room for a moment, and returned carrying a white diaper that had red and blue balloons on it.

“This is the biggest of our children’s diap…, uh, pull-ups… if this is too small, I’ll have to send someone onto a floor upstairs for something bigger. Quan is going to help you lift your hips, Zack, and I’m going to slide this underneath you.”

Zack’s cheeks reddened, but he nodded – everything was happening too quickly to keep up with. Zack pushed down against the examination table with his elbows and his good foot, while Quan put upward pressure on his right hip, and Patrick slid the wet swim diaper out and then placed the new diaper in from the side until it was underneath him. Quan then drew the front of it up between his legs and folded it down onto his tummy, while drawing a stretchy side panel up and over his hip with one hand, in an expert motion. Zack saw that the diaper had two tabs, which engaged with the cloth-like cover on the front. Quan quickly repeated the motion on the left side, reaching over him.

She looked over at Patrick. “It’s snug but it’ll work.”

And just like that, Zack found himself in the center of a well-lit room wearing an overstretched baby diaper, surrounded by busy professionals asking him questions and tending to all sorts of pieces of equipment. He put his head back and closed his eyes, as Tina stood by his ankle, directing a bright light, while a man he hadn’t been introduced to, a stalky, brown-skinned fellow with neatly cropped black hair, leaned in for a closer look.

“Right, get an IV started, let’s get 150 of epimorph on board, then I want him down at imaging as soon as they’ll take him.”

The man, whose scrubs were dark blue, walked up beside Zack and looked him in the eyes before shifting his glance to Kelly, and then back to Zack.

“I’m doctor Raj. You’re probably going to start feeling sleepy pretty shortly, my friend, but it’s going to help you with the pain – I’m going to guess that your ankle hurts a lot, does it?”

Zack nodded.

“You might fall asleep for a while, which is fine. You might wake up later in another room – I’m sending you for a CT scan. Your mom is going to be here, waiting for you to come back. If you’re scared or you need anything, just talk to whomever you’re with – we all work together. Things are going to happen pretty fast, but don’t worry, we’re not going to do anything without talking to you about it first.”

Zack nodded again. The lady they called Quan was sticking things to his chest, and Patrick was in the process of tying what felt like a large elastic band to his left arm.

“Look to your right, Zack,” Patrick said. He turned his head to the right, not sure what he was looking for, but them felt a pinch on his left arm, and when he looked back, Patrick was taping a needle into place against his skin. “All done, good job, you didn’t even flinch.”

A bag was hung on a pole behind his head, and connected to the needle in his arm. Within a few minutes, Zack’s head began to swim, and his eyes felt heavy. His ankle now felt miles away from him, an event taking place in another postal code. Someone was pouring liquid onto it. Interesting.

Kim was lead into the room and walked over to Kelly, then stroked his forehead with her hand. Kelly said something indistinct, and then Kim was fishing in Kelly’s purse. A moment later, Kelly was holding something in front of his face. A marshmallow? Oh, right, the pacifier. Zack accepted it between his lips, where it sat limply, as he took progressively longer and longer to finish blinking, until time stopped.

“Young fellow? Young fellow? What’s the name on his chart….? Zack? Zack, you there?”

Zack’s eyelids felt heavy, as he heard voices from behind them. With effort, he shook away some of the fog in his mind, and opened his eyes.

“There you are, we have you back. I know they just let you fall asleep, but I need your help here for a minute, then you can go back to dreamland.”

Zack turned his head on his pillow and took in the visage of the speaker, an older woman with long blond hair in a ponytail, who was wearing bright yellow scrubs.

“I put a tether on your soother so you don’t drop it, okay? You don’t want to pick anything up off the floors around here and put them in your mouth, trust me.”

Zack blushed and sat part way up, and realized that he was now on a stretcher, and, his pacifier was affixed to the light blue gown he was wearing with one of the unused ties. Which was somewhat disconcerting, because he had no memory of having been put onto a stretcher or into a gown. His IV had been taken out, but the needle remained taped to his arm.

“I’m Connie, I’m an imaging tech. I’m going to wheel you over to that machine, and we’re going to transfer you onto the table so I can take some pictures of your ankle. Then I’m going to need you to stay still. Can we do that?”

Zack nodded, then, became aware of a pressure in his lower abdomen. He hadn’t been peeing in the swim diaper while he was in the car, knowing that of course, it would have leaked, and then, unexpectedly, he’d been put to sleep, and now, he really needed to pee. He was at the point where, normally, he might not even have thought about it, but, among all these strangers, he was feeling a reluctance to use his diaper unabashedly.

“Miss…”, he whispered.

“Yes?”

“Can I go pee first?”

The lady reached down and lifted the hem of his gown without so much as blinking.

“They’ve got you in a diaper, my friend, so you can pee anytime you need to.”

Zack blushed. “What if I don’t want to go… you know, in… my diaper?”

Connie looked down at his injured ankle, which was wrapped in gauze.

“That’s not a good idea, buddy. You can’t go anywhere on that leg, and I can’t carry you. Don’t feel badly – this is a children’s hospital. We see people in diapers every day around here. Nobody is going to think any less of you. You do what you need to do, that’s my advice. But don’t move too much while you’re doing it – I want some nice clear pictures of your ankle. You’re lucky you fit in the little kid diapers – the bigger ones are awful, just plastic bags, really.”

Zack sighed and dropped the topic. Connie had him wheeled over to the device his leg was going into, which looked like an extremely large plastic donut, and he helped her to help him transfer onto its attached platform, which could then be motored in and out of the center of the donut. Once she had his leg positioned, he relaxed and laid back and reluctantly wet his diaper. The machine began emitting an extended series of variously pitched buzzing noises.

After what felt like ages, but was probably twenty minutes, Connie emerged out of the control room, and helped him transfer back onto his stretcher. She lifted his gown and had a quick look at his diaper.

“You’ll want to get them to change that for you sooner than later, because you don’t want to get a diaper rash started. You might be wearing them for a few days yet – there’s some work to be done on that ankle, looks like.”

Zack lowered his gaze. I wish it was only for a few more days!

A tall, lanky orderly pushed through the double doors of the CT scanning room and gave Connie and Zack a nod. “Awake now, are you?” he said as he unlocked the brakes of the bed and took the handles at the front to begin wheeling it out into the hall.

“Let the nurse know that he needs his diaper changed when you get him back to his room.” Connie said.

“Will do, ma’am.”

Zack’s stretcher ride through the halls was interesting, because he didn’t remember it from the first time around. Mercy being a children’s hospital, there were kids of every age and description in the hallways and waiting rooms, some walking around, some being wheeled around, some in street clothing, visiting brothers or sisters. In an elevator, he got a quizzical stare from a girl who looked to be around eight, holding onto her mother’s hand, which he at first thought was because he was sitting on the stretcher, but then he realized that his pacifier was dangling from one of the gown ties, so he quickly tucked it inside the gown and looked away.

He became very self-conscious about how he was sitting on his tour, because if he leaned too far back, the gown hem sat high on his thighs, barely below his diaper, but if he leaned forward, it was open at the back. Eventually, they took a turn out of the body of the main hospital, and back towards the chaos of the Emergency Department, and the lanky guy wheeled him back into his assessment room, and then went looking for a nurse. Kim, Kelly and Elaine seemed to have gone off somewhere, probably thinking that he was still asleep, so Zack had the room to himself for a couple of minutes, during which he examined the bewildering array of knobs and tubes and monitors on the back wall. Quan, the nurse he’d met earlier, came into the room wearing a mask, and gave him a smile with her eyes, before placing two more of the balloon diapers on the foot of his bed.

She left the door and the curtain open when she walked out, which was good and bad; he didn’t mind watching the parade of people who streamed past, and trying to figure out their stories, but, he also didn’t like that the first thing anyone who looked into his room saw was a stack of children’s diapers, that told them more about his story than he cared for.

Quan came back a few minutes later, and in a becoming-familiar singsong voice, said that she was just going to check his diaper. She rolled his gown up to his tummy and palpitated the front gently, then began to unfold one of the new ones. Right at that moment, the girl from elevator walked by with her mom still holding her hand, and affixed him with another inscrutable gaze, as Nurse Quan stretched out the wings and fluffed up the middle, while asking him how he found the fit.

He shrugged and said it was fine.

“That’s good, because the next size up is a lot bigger, and they’re plastic, with three tapes. If these ones fit, I’d say, stick with them – everyone says that they’re way more comfortable. Cuter, too.” She smiled at him as she opened his diaper and quickly rolled it up in a ball. She dropped the unfolded new diaper over his lap like a tent, winked and said “Now don’t you pee!”, then walked out of the room with the old diaper. Zack sat, turning a deepening shade of red, as more people filed back and forth outside his room, and another nurse popped in briefly to look at the IV bag he was no longer connected to. Then, Nurse Quan appeared in the entrance again, this time holding a spray can.

“Diaper rash spray. This one’s easier than the cream, and less messy,” she said, as she lifted the new diaper up and then asked him to roll to his side. He was confused, but rolled away from her, as she’d indicated, and she positioned the diaper against his downward hip, and then asked him to roll back. He rolled back, and then she pulled the front of the diaper up from between his legs, and fanned it open.

Next, she picked up the rash spray and gave it a shake, before frosting most of the area below his belly button with bracingly cold white foam. The smell of baby powder filled the room.

“Hmmm… I love that smell. You may not be used to it because you’re a big boy for diapers, but down with the babies, that’s all you smell. Well, most of the time!” She gave him another wink, and then pulled the side panels up and began fastening his diaper.

Just then, Kelly, Kim, and Elaine appeared in the entrance to his room, along with Doctor Raj. Dr. Raj walked over to Zack’s bedside and stood next to Nurse Quan.

“Don’t’ get too comfortable down here, Zack – we’re getting a room ready for you upstairs, because you are definitely staying with us for a few days. You need an operation on that ankle – you have what’s called a compound fracture. That means that your bone, when it broke, created sharp edges, and one of the edges came through the side of your ankle, and then probably went back under your skin when you moved it. But the whole injury was underwater, so we need to, first of all, put pins into your bone so we can reset it into its proper position and let it heal, and, secondly, we want to give you a round of antibiotics, because who knows what was in that water. We’re going to bandage it, and put you in an air cast, but we’re not putting a full cast on it, until we’re sure that it’s healing well, so in the meantime, you will need to stay completely off of that foot.”

Nurse Quan had finished snugging up Zack’s diaper, and she folded the hem of his gown down onto his tummy. Kelly walked up and pointed at Zack, then spoke to Nurse Quan.

“I have excellent diapers for him back at the cottage that I could bring in, if that makes it easier for you.”

The nurse’s eyes opened in brief surprise. She shook her head. “No, we want to change him often while he’s here, that’s our protocol, for infection control and skin integrity. If you bring in expensive diapers from home, you’re going to be asking me tomorrow, where did all the expensive home diapers go? He fits well in the children’s diapers. It’s better like this. Plus maybe he’ll miss his fancy diapers, and appreciate them more!” She laughed and Kelly smiled.

Kelly looked at Dr. Raj. “Well, thank you, Doctor. Should we expect him to be here for a few more days, then?”

Dr. Raj looked at Zack, who was pulling his gown back down over his thighs. “That sounds about right. It could be longer, if there’s any issue with the healing, but he’s young and seems healthy. The next step is getting him up on onto the surgical floor, which should happen momentarily.”

Patrick came walking into the room with what looked like the exoskeleton of a ski boot, but one that opened like a book. He began positioning it around Zack’s ankle, and Zack closed his eyes and tried to breath deeply.

_______

Zack woke up groggy again; while Patrick was trying to place the alien boot on his ankle, one of the nurses had attached another IV bag to him, and he didn’t remember very much after that. He realized that he was lying on his stomach, and that it was brighter than he recalled it having been earlier. And, there were voices he didn’t recognize. He opened his eyes, and found himself still in the same bed, but now that bed was sitting in a hallway in front of a desk, in another part of the hospital. Zack pushed up on his elbows and looked around.

The desk he was in front of was long, and there were a few people wearing scrubs, milling about behind it. A girl around his age was making her way down the hall with a cast leg, being supported by some sort of scooter, with the help of another person in scrubs. A lady was walking a younger boy over to a window. He caught sight of Kelly’s hair through a partially frosted window down the hall, in a room labelled ‘Nutrition Center’.

As he shook off the fog of sleep, he realized that lying on his stomach had left the back of his gown open, and most of his diaper was showing.

Did I get wheeled through the hospital like this? How long have I been lying in this hall?!?

He rolled over quickly and pulled his gown down, in the process tugging his IV line and causing a pinch of pain at the injection site. He put his other hand on top of it and winced. His IV bag had been placed on a low hook that telescoped out of the headboard, and the line from it was entangled in his sheets. A nurse behind the desk, wearing pink scrubs, looked up at him.

“You’re awake. Hi, Zack - welcome to floor 502. Your mom is down the hall getting you some water, and your room is probably ready now – let’s go have a look.”

She stood up and walked around the desk, and began pushing his bed down the hall, before taking a wide turn, like a bus driver, and then pulling it backwards through a doorway and into a room. The room already had an occupant, a boy who looked about the same age as Zack, who was sitting up in bed playing a video game.

The room had two spaces for beds, the one occupied by the boy, which was closer to the entrance, and the one Zack was being wheeled towards, which was closer to the window. Across from both beds was a central console that housed dresser drawers, and two whiteboards, and to the left of it was a door that Zack assumed was the entrance to a washroom. Each bed station had a TV that came down from the ceiling on an adjustable arm. The boy’s was connected to a gaming console; to Zack, it looked like an Xbox.

The nurse (Zack assumed she was a nurse) backed Zack’s bed into the second slot, and then she took his IV bag off of the headboard and, after tracing the line around and under his pillow, she hung it on a separate pole that could be wheeled around.

“I’ll be right back,” she said, and then she walked out of the room. Almost immediately, Kelly came walking in, carrying a large Styrofoam cup with a straw in it, which she placed on a bedside table within Zacks’ reach.

“You’re awake again! How’s your ankle feeling?”

Zack thought about it. Whatever they were giving him kept knocking him out, but, it seemed to be doing the job – he was dimly aware of a throbbing coming from that general vicinity, but it was not first and foremost in his mind, whereas earlier, it had been all he could think about.

Zack shrugged. “It’s okay.”

Kelly turned her attention to the boy in the other bed.

“Hi, Tommy, this is Zack. Zack, this is Tommy. He’s going to be your roommate for the next couple of days or so. I was talking to Tommy’s mommy a bit earlier; Tommy got thrown off his bike doing jumps, and broke his arm pretty badly, didn’t you?”

Tommy looked over from his screen and nodded, and that’s when Zack realized that he was playing one-handed with his right hand, and that his left arm was wrapped in a black sling that seemed to cover most of his chest.

“Zack here did a Tarzan swing on a rope and fell onto some rocks, and now he needs surgery on his ankle. Maybe you guys can compare notes on your adventures.”

Tommy nodded at Zack, who did the same, both of them sharing an unspoken understanding that getting to know each other was better conducted without the presence of anyone’s mom in the room. Just then, a familiar face entered – Nurse Quan from the ER. Zack smiled, but then his face fell, when he realized why she’d come up to his room. She was carrying a stack of the balloon diapers, which she deposited on the built-in dresser under Zack’s whiteboard, across from his bed.

“Your mom asked me to bring you a few more, since you like these ones better. Tell your nurse the children’s diaper fits you okay, size large, or else they’ll give you the big ones, and they are not as nice! You’re gonna be here a few days, you want the better ones. Make sure you tell them!”

Kelly smiled and thanked her, then pointed at the whiteboard and walked over. She picked up a black dry-erase marker from a holder at the bottom of the board, and wrote in the notes section:

‘Zack Prefers the size L Baby Diapers Please!’

Nurse Quan smiled and nodded, waved at Zack and Tommy, and breezed out of the room.

Tommy looked at Zack, wide-eyed. Zacks eyes fell to his lap, where he tugged the hem of his gown toward his knees. “I’m not allowed to walk…” he mumbled.

Kelly picked up the conversational ball. “Zack, let’s not get off on the wrong foot with your new friend by being dishonest. Tommy, what Zack meant to say is that he wears diapers. It’s definitely helpful while he can’t stand on his own, but, he wore them before he broke his ankle. Isn’t that right, Zack?”  

Zack’s face turned a deep shade of red, and he turned and looked out the window. There was a laneway below his room, and then a parking structure across it that suddenly held great interest for him.

“Zack, am I right?”

Zack’s head made the slightest of nods.

“Don’t be embarrassed, Zack. You and Tommy are going to be sharing a room for a while. You’re going to be having your diaper changed while he’s here. It’s better if we have it all out in the open, much less stressful.”

Zack kept his face turned toward the window, as the corners of his eyes moistened, and a tear traced its way around the edge of his nose.

“Tommy,” Kelly continued, “do you care if Zack wears diapers?”

There was an awkward moment of silence, and then Tommy said, “Not really.”

“And can you still be friends with Zack?”

“Yeah, sure.”

“You’re a very nice boy, Tommy – thank you. See, Zack? It doesn’t make any difference to Tommy. The only one making a big deal about this is you. So buck up. You’ll be fine. Please tell your new friend that you wear baby diapers.”

A pregnant silence hung in the room, and then Zack cleared his throat.

“I hafta wear diapers,” he croaked, without looking at Tommy.

“What kind of diapers, Zack?”, Kelly asked softly.

“Baby diapers,” Zack whispered.

“Excellent, see, that wasn’t so hard? And now you don’t have to worry about keeping some big secret from the person you’re sharing a room with. Okay, I’m going to go see if I can find out when you can eat something.”

Kelly picked her handbag up off the corner of the dresser, and traced a scarlet fingernail up Zack’s injured leg, lifting his gown above his diaper again. With a clicking of her shoes against the hard floor, she left the room. Zack shot daggers at her with his eyes and smoothed his gown back down.

Behind him, he heard Tommy clear his throat.

“Your mom is weird, dude,” he said in a low voice.

Zack kept his eyes glued on the empty doorway. “She’s not my mom. She’s my step-mom. And yeah, she’s crazy.”

“Anyways, I don’t care if she makes you wear diapers. I seen other kids here in them. Don’t worry about it.”

Zack turned his head partly towards Tommy, and his eyes made the rest of the journey. Tommy cracked a smile.

“I hope my mom doesn’t tell you that much stuff about me! Jeez.”

Tommy returned to playing his one-handed video game.

Kelly came back in the room and announced at the door that Kim was going back to Gran’s with Elaine, and that they’d be back the next day with the girls for a visit.

She continued, “I spoke with your nurse, and unfortunately, you won’t be able to eat anything after about eight this evening, because they want to operate on your foot tomorrow. They’re going to include you on the dinner rotation, though. I’m going to get Kim to drop me off at a hotel down the street, so I can check in, and then I’ll take a cab back and visit you in a few hours. I’ll try and sneak a dessert back in for you. Tommy, are you allergic to anything?”

Tommy looked up, slightly surprised to be part of their conversation again. “Nope.”

“Okay, good, maybe I’ll bring you something too, for being buddies with Zack.”

Tommy shrugged. “Thanks.”

“Maybe you can tell Zack how to get a show on his TV screen.”

“Sure.”

Kelly turned and walked out of the room. Tommy looked over at Zack.

“Can you reach the screen?”

Zack looked up. The TV was suspended in midair on an articulating arm about three feet above him. It had a gleaming chrome handle mounted on the bottom of it. He pushed off of the mattress with his right hand and reached up with his left, digging his left heel into the bed, while trying not to put any pressure on his right foot. His fingers brushed the handle, so he really stretched, and he managed to snag it and pull it back down toward him. He realized that his reaching had exposed his diaper, but that privacy barrier had already been smashed to pieces by Kelly and Nurse Quan, so he concentrated on positioning the TV and figuring out how to work the buttons.

After some fiddling, he found a show about arctic animals that opened with wolves chasing down a caribou in the snow. He watched it for about a half-hour, then his attention was drawn away by a familiar rumbling in his abdomen. He tried to think about how long it had been since he’d last had a bowel movement, and then realized that it had been the night before. That horrible night. The fingers of panic tickled him momentarily.

Could Gran’s rotten soup still be affecting me? Please, God, no, I don’t want to relive THAT. Not here.

He kept his face turned toward the TV, but he was no longer watching the arctic foxes hunt arctic hares. He began slowly, carefully pushing, gently, using all his concentration to try and determine the consistency of what was in there, hoping to be able to shut down the show if there was any sign of a repeat visit of the liquid hell from the night before. He emitted a low fart, and stopped, waiting for any reaction from Tommy, but Tommy played on, or, that’s what it sounded like to Zack without looking, so he pushed a bit more.

To Zack’s great relief, a small, solid turd slid quietly into his diaper, and then one more, and after that, the pressure from below was gone. He went back to watching the foxes, who were now trying to evade the wolves.

A while later, as the shadows outside the window lengthened, Tommy and Zack heard a cart roll up to the door of their room and stop. A short woman wearing an apron over her uniform came in carrying two trays, one of which she put in front of Tommy, and the other, she put on Zack’s rolling table, which she then positioned in front of him.

“I’ll be back in half an hour – eat up!” She announced, and then the cart started rolling in the hall again.

Tommy and Zack looked at each other, and then they lifted the lids off their plates. Both held what looked like breaded chicken breast, an ice cream scoop of mashed potatoes, and mixed peas and carrots. They both had peel-top plastic cups of apple juice, and both had a small plastic package of digestive biscuits. Next to the plate was a bowl with a plastic lid on it. Zack peeled it back and eyed the contents dubiously. Mushroom soup.

“This chicken isn’t bad,” Tommy offered from the other bed. “The soup is disgusting. I wonder why they even bother giving it out in a children’s hospital. Does anyone eat it, ever? No.”

Zack put the lid back on the soup. He wasn’t sure if he’d ever eat soup again. He peeled the packaging off of his plastic cutlery and tried a bite of the chicken. It was lukewarm but tasted inoffensive. The same could be said for the vegetables.

Snowy owls swooped down on tundra voles as a rich voice explained that the arctic looked like a frozen wasteland, but was actually teaming with life. Then, a new nurse came walking into the room, while pulling on blue medical gloves. She picked a diaper up off the stack on the dresser, and drew the curtain between Zack and Tommy’s beds. Tommy raised his eyebrows at Zack as the green curtain trundled between them. The nurse put the diaper down on the foot of Zack’s bed, along with a tub of diaper cream that she pulled out of a deep pocket.

“Hi, Zack – I’m Brenda. I’m going to be looking after you tonight. How was your dinner?”

“It was fine,” Zack replied in a low voice.

“Is it okay if I push your tray back?”

Zack shrugged, and Brenda wheeled his tray away from the bed.

“I’m going to check your diaper.”

Zack leaned back, and Brenda pulled his gown up to his hips.

“Okay, I’m going to change this. Let’s make the bed flat.”

Brenda held a button down on the side of the bed, and the head, which had been inclined almost fully upright, began reclining, until Zack was flat on his back and staring up at the ceiling. He placed his hands on his chest and turned his head toward the window, as Brenda opened the left and right tabs on his diaper, and drew the front forward.

“I’m going to get some wipes,” she announced, and then walked around the curtain. Time ticked by. Zack could her Tommy playing his video games, and on his TV, the arctic drama continued. He wished that the screen was tilted more towards him. Finally, Brenda came back from behind the curtain, this time carrying a box of wipes.

“Roll over toward the window, please.”

Zack rolled toward the window, wincing slightly as some pressure was put on his right ankle. The medication he’d been given was wearing off slightly. The air cast was taking most of the strain, but not all of it.

Zack felt the cold dampness of the wipes as Brenda drew them back and forth behind him until she was satisfied with her work, and then she placed another balloon diaper on the mattress, and had him roll over onto it. She applied diaper cream with a gloved hand, making Zack wish for the spray, and then she peeled the glove off and deposited it, and the soiled diaper, into a bin in the bathroom, before returning and fastening his diaper.

She reached over and motored up the front half of the bed, then threw back the curtains, causing Tommy to look up. Zack pulled his gown down over his diaper. Brenda washed her hands in the sink in the washroom, and then left the room. Zack noticed that she’d left the diaper cream and the wipes next to his diapers on the dresser.

“You, uh, feel better?” Tommy asked.

“I guess so,” Zack replied, redness creeping back into his cheeks.

“Is it weird wearing diapers?”

Zack paused. He wasn’t sure he wanted to talk about this, but it was kind of the elephant in the room right now, and he knew that Kelly would be back at some point. He definitely did not want the topic to come up again with her there.

“Yeah, it’s kinda weird. Especially people knowing you wear diapers. And being changed like a baby, by like, random hospital people. And they’re bulky and crinkly and damp.”

“Those ones don’t look that big or crinkly.”

“These ones are from the hospital. Kelly – that lady, my stepmom – buys me these giant plastic ones for at home.”

“Why do you wear them at home?”

“Some doctor said I have to.”

“Were you, like, peein’ your pants all the time?”

Zack blushed again. “No, just… at night. Sometimes. But the doctor told Kelly that I need to wear diapers all the time, for a while. It’s stupid.”

Tommy looked riveted. “I used to wear, like, pull-ups, when I was a little kid, at night – can’t you wear those?”

Zack shook his head. “I was wearing pull-ups, but they leaked a couple of times, and I think it made Kelly mad.”

“What about for school? Do you wear diapers there?”

Zack swallowed and seemed lost in thought for a moment.

“I don’t know… this all started after school was over.”

“Well, I hope not, man. That would super suck! There was a kid at my old school who still wore pull-ups in grade 2. People were merciless. I think he changed schools.”

Zack pondered the fate of that kid for a moment, and shuddered inwardly.

“Kelly would probably ask the principal to call an assembly, so she could announce it to the whole school. She likes telling everyone. I think it’s her favourite thing right now. We went up to her sister’s cottage and she made me stand in the middle of the room and show everyone my diaper.”

“Wow, dude, that sucks shit. She sounds like a bitch.”

Zack nodded emphatically.

They both locked eyes as they heard a now-familiar clack-clack-clack coming up the hall.

“The bitch is back,” Tommy whispered.

Kelly strode into the room carrying a paper bag from a local donut shop. She put it down on the foot of Zack’s bed, and then lifted his gown up without even saying hi. Zack glanced over at Tommy, who rolled his eyes.

“Did they change your diaper?”

Zack cleared his throat. “Yup,” he said curtly.

“Well, that’s good. I’m glad they’re using theirs and not ours. What did you do in it?”

Zack blushed and said nothing.

“Poop? Or was it just wet? I need to know, Zack.”

Zack looked at his chest. “Poop.”

Kelly lowered her voice to just above a whisper. “Listen, you’re going to spend the night here, and I can’t, so really, I’d prefer if you had your lockable panties on, but that’s not going to make it easy for the nurses. Since you can’t walk, anyway, can I trust that after I leave, you’re going to leave your diapers alone?”

Zack said nothing.

“Because if I find out you’re taking them off, I’ll get Kim to bring the tamper mitts, and good luck adjusting the TV or eating with those on. I’ll have to feed you and leave you with baby bottles. I’m assuming you’d rather not have that happen. Am I correct in that assumption?”

Zack nodded his head once.

“Let me hear you say it, please.”

“Say what?”

“Say you’re going to leave your diaper alone like a good boy.”

“I’m going to leave my diaper alone.”

What am I gonna do, crawl out the front door naked? Hail a cab?

“Good boy!” She raised her voice again. “Boys, I have brought you some chocolate donuts. I know it’s a few minutes past when you’re supposed to be eating, but I won’t tell if you don’t.”

Kelly gave Tommy first pick of the donuts, and he took a chocolate frosted one. Zack looked in the bag and saw a chocolate cream filled donut remained. Good enough. He ate it with gusto.

Kelly looked around for tissue, and then noted that there was a packet of wipes and a tub of rash cream over by the diapers. She went and extracted two, handing one to Tommy, and then used the other to wipe Zack’s face and hands.

She lowered her voice again. “Was it a big poop?”

Zack rolled his eyes and nodded.

“Excellent, Zack, good boy. I’ll bring you another donut tomorrow after your surgery. I’ll bring both of you donuts. Keep doing that. They’re not going to let you leave until they’re sure all systems are working.”

Kelly sat and made small talk with Tommy and Zack for a few more minutes, and then said that she wanted to go over to a mall close to her hotel and pick up a couple of items of clothing, since she’d come down without any luggage.

I don’t have any clothes here either...

Zack had the thought but didn’t say it. He’d be inviting her to show up with God knows what. Maybe a locking romper or one of Gran’s doll dresses. Something awful.

Right as Kelly’s clacking shoes receded down the hall again, another lady, shorter, with curly brown hair, came into the room.

“Hi mom!” Tommy chirped. “This is Zack, my roommate. Zack, this is my mom.”

“Hi Tommy’s mom,” Zack said.

“You can call me Angela.”

“Hi, Angela.”

“What happened to you? I assume Tommy told you about his bike accident?”

Zack nodded. “I jumped off a rope swing over a river, and I landed on some hidden rocks. Busted up my ankle pretty bad.”

“Ouch. Sorry to hear that, Zack. That must have hurt.”

“He’s havin’ an operation tomorrow!” Tommy interjected.

“Oh, wow, eh? You must have damaged it pretty good. Poor guy. How long is the recovery?”

Zack thought for a moment. “I don’t actually know. I’m supposed to be in the hospital for a few days, maybe, but after that, I guess I’ll have a cast for a while.”

“Tommy should be here for another day or two. I’ll bring you a snack when I come tomorrow; I know the food here is terrible.”

Angela took her jacket off and put it over the back of a chair that was sitting next to Tommy’s bed. She dragged it over so that she was between the two beds, then looked around for a place to put her purse down. Zack saw her eyes stop on the stack of diapers. Then she looked away, and put her purse down like she hadn’t seen them.

“I guess you’re not able to walk on that ankle at all? Must be frustrating,” she said. “I hope that heals fast enough to enjoy some of the summer. Can I get you a drink or anything?”

“I’m not allowed to eat or drink anything until after my operation tomorrow.”

Angela nodded. “Well, I’ll make it up to you tomorrow.”

Just then, Brenda came into the room, carrying another small IV bag. She walked over to Zack’s IV stand and connected it.

“This is more pain medication, Zack. It’s going to make you sleepy. I’ll come by later and check on you. Don’t stay up too late.”

Zack nodded, grateful that Brenda hadn’t said ‘check your diaper’.

Angela smiled at Zack. “Go to sleep if you’re tired, your body needs rest to heal. We’ll be here if you need anything.”

Zack turned off his TV and then leaned forward, straining to reach the folded blanket at the foot of his bed without moving his extended foot. Angela jumped up and said, “I’ll help you.”

Zack laid back against his pillow and pressed the button to motor the top of his bed down to more or less level with the bottom. He realized as Angela fussed with his blanket that his diaper was showing again, and he leaned forward to smooth his gown, but Angela came up with the blanket and covered him up to his shoulders, before he could do it.

“Don’t worry about that, little one,” she whispered, and then she used a button on Zack’s TV console to lower the lights in his half of the room.

Zack closed his eyes and listened to Angela and Tommy talk in low voices, as he drifted off to sleep.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Little Sherri changed the title to Shifting Sands - Chapter 63 - 04/27