LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Biodegradeable diapers

One way this could be done on a large scale is to use a combination of dried plant material for the absorbant padding, a plant-based plastic shell and vegetable based inks for designs.  Since Native Americans had used dried moss or something similar to make diapers for thousands of years, it certainly has potential.

6 hours ago, Firefly 35 said:

One way this could be done on a large scale is to use a combination of dried plant material for the absorbant padding, a plant-based plastic shell and vegetable based inks for designs.  Since Native Americans had used dried moss or something similar to make diapers for thousands of years, it certainly has potential.

They're already on the market over here (UK) for the smaller variety of babies.  No idea how well they work compared to the landfill ones.

That idea is not new. It has beeen around since at least the late '80's. It was rejected because if the diaper disintegrated, it would release the toxins and backteria that it contained into the environment. This would require the use of medical and  dangerous materials grade dumps, which are very expensive. Therefore the idea was rejected. A better idea, if you MUST use disposables, would be flushables. That notion went down the toilet when they started using SAP's and full sealed wetproof shells. The early Pampers (whidh became the generic term for throw-aways) were to be rinsed well before being  tossed, the body of the diaper was  related to Handi-Wipes. Handi-Wipes were meant to be used a few times before being tossed, unlike regular paper towels, and had a cloth-like feel.

In the late '80's and 90's, there were some ideas floated to ake the hated plastic bags from biodegradeable material, usualy derived from corn That proved to be too costly to be practical. Actually, the best thing they could do with these is make them of thicker, stronger material and add two more sized up. This would make them more re-usable. We actually used to re-use paper bags, Most home refrigerators had storage bins in the bottom into which we would put the paper bags that we got from stores to be re-used later. I use plastic bags for trash

• Like 1

Most baby diapers can be composted as they have no plastic. 

That's what they try to copy with adult diapers, but so far there is more plastic in cloth-like than in plastic diapers, and I doubt that ever gonna change cause nature products cost more.

4 hours ago, Dubious said:

What do they use for waterproofing? Given what is probably in them. Would you really want to use them. There are laws against nightsoil and urine is not exactly non-toxic. What it would cost to make them usable would not be competitive and just one mistake or crazy virus and boy howdy

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Dubious said:

Can you post where this information comes from please?  Personally I'd be very surprised if it were true.

3 hours ago, le Hollandais said:

This seems like the obvious solution to me, too.

I am using diapers that I made over 10 years ago and snap-on rubber panties from 8 when I began the search for a replacement for comco I have a dozen ahd a half of each since they are both changed at the same time

A useful biodegradable diaper might be proactical, but it would not be waterproof and would  need waterproof panties over it. It would also need to exclude SAP. It would still be vulnerable to the hazardous pollutant probem I mentioned earlier. The best and most cost-effective for the public treasury, solution is good cloth diapers and panties that last a long time since the pollutants would go into a system that has been designed for that and has worked for over a century. There are disposable liners for fecal material, it would be good if they were flushable