LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Computer help needed

I need some help. I want to upload fictional stories to Kindle, but I don't know how to manage Folders on my laptop. I'm seriously deficient in my tech skills. Can anyone help ? 

I need to "open a folder", write the manuscript, and then upload it. But I don't know how

2 hours ago, spoonchicken said:

I need some help. I want to upload fictional stories to Kindle, but I don't know how to manage Folders on my laptop. I'm seriously deficient in my tech skills. Can anyone help ? 

I need to "open a folder", write the manuscript, and then upload it. But I don't know how

Are you an author or do you want to read none Kindle published stories on your Kindle?

I think that on both Windows and macOS you can right-click on a folder and then left-click the 'Open' option.  On Windows you can make a new folder with the CTRL+SHIFT+N keystroke and on macOS with the SHIFT+COMMAND+N keystroke.  On Windows press F2 to rename a folder and on macOS press ENTER to rename.  Can you share a link with the instructions you're trying to follow?

39 minutes ago, spoonchicken said:

How do I find a folder in the first place ?

Are you looking for a specific folder? Is it already on your computer? Or do you want to create a folder?

If the folder is already on your computer:

For Windows: I recommend using "Everything" by VoidTools: https://www.voidtools.com/

For Linux: I recommend using KFind by KDE: https://apps.kde.org/kfind/

Here's a video on how to create a new folder on Windows (the tutorial is for Windows 10, but it should work for most operating systems)

1 hour ago, spoonchicken said:

It just keeps telling me the folder is empty

What OS are you using and is there any way for you to show us what you're doing? Maybe taking a short video with your phone and attaching it? It's really hard to troubleshoot without seeing what is going on.

GYF-Google is Your Friend: Are you trying to find the foloder in your computer or on Kindle? Call up Google. Input "how to find a folder in {where you wish to find it; if it is your computer use your operating system name and versio number]": ]enter]. Given the lenght of time you have been here. It is possible that the folder may not exist on your machine so you may have to create it as a sub-folder in another folder. I created a special download and upload folder in drive D DATA for my copy of Internet Downlad Manager and other downloaders, and for things I send up via FileZilla which is an FTP Client (use ninite or fosshub to get them since they provide downladers without craware. I am a paying member of fosshub. There is also sourceforge which cleaned up its act some 10 years ago, all of which I read in an article in HOW TO GEEK eNL

@spoonchicken

are you trying to find a folder, or are you trying to make a folder?If you are trying to make a folder the easiest way to do that would be to find a clear area of your desktop that has nothing on it or an area that is free for you to be able to do the next operation:

to make a folder in windows: simply right click on your desktop: using Windows 10 all you have to do when you right click is to go down to the word new: once you see the word new then you should be able to see the word folder somewhere in that list. All you have to do is click on the word folder and a new folder will appear somewhere on your desktop.

Next to rename the folder to what you want: all you have to do is right click on the folder itself and go down to the word rename click on the word rename, then the folder will turn blue highlight and you will be able to edit the name of the folder. When knows will always use the words " new folder" when a folder is made, so This is why you have to rename the folder to what you want.

I hope that is what you're looking for spoon:  sometimes windows can be a pain in the **** , but it is not that hard once you get used to it, and I know there are some people who have difficulty with computer technology, so you are not alone. I have been using Windows ever since I was about 21, so I've been doing it for a long time. During the pandemic, I switched over to Mac so I've been able to do both systems and each system is unique and has a different way of doing it so it can be confusing sometimes.

please let us know any results and if you need any help please don't hesitate to ask!

Brian

Edited by ~Brian~
Added Additional Information

If you are in a folder, go to "Home" in the list that includes "share" and "view". If you have set it up so that you have maximized the ribbon., just click or tap "New Folder" and you can name it straightaway. I keep folders and links as sub units in a folder that holds things by relatedness.  This my DD link, links to Fetware, Protex, LL Medico, Mountain View, RUBBER PANTIES'R'US and RUFFLES & RIBBONS GIRLS HOME are all in one folder Links to other things, like my website folders and some other things are in another folder with several sub-folders. The main folder that contains all of these is  LG so that I know what subject they reference. All of this is, in turn on a removable flash drive so I can take it offline entirely

It won't let me rename it...there's no such icon, and it always goes back to telling me "this folder is empty". 

I guess I'm just too stupid to figure it out. It's literally pushing me to the verge of tears of frustration.

3 hours ago, Little BabyDoll Christine said:

If you are in a folder, go to "Home" in the list that includes "share" and "view

There are no such icons in the ribbon.

53 minutes ago, spoonchicken said:

It won't let me rename it...there's no such icon, and it always goes back to telling me "this folder is empty". 

I guess I'm just too stupid to figure it out. It's literally pushing me to the verge of tears of frustration.

There are no such icons in the ribbon.

1 go into a folder
2 select "Home"
3. among the small icons on the top left, select the one that is the line with the down pointing triangle. it should be the rightmost noe
4 on the drop-down menu, select "maximize the ribbon". That should bring a set of larger icons ink a ribbon across the width of the display, this should include a picture of a folder lebelled "New Folder" along with things like "Rename" and other things

That ribbon has some very useful functions, like Copy, Paste, Cut, Select All and Delete, Things that would be on an "Edit" drop-down menu

10 minutes ago, spoonchicken said:

When I click "rename" it shows me "remove from quick access toolbar", "show quick access toolbar above the ribbon", and "minimize the ribbon". That's all that comes up.

@spoonchicken

Are you using Windows 10 AND office by any chance?  Sounds like that is a function of office, when it talks about a "ribbon"  There is a ribbon in windows 10, but the "Quick Access" stuff is folders that you can add there to make them easier to find and more quickly.

Try This @spoonchicken

Edited by ~Brian~
Added Additional Information and Edited some information

It depends what you want to do. You can put anything in that folder: Text Documents, links or more folders into which you can put text documents, links and folders

To create a text document find a clear slpot and right click. A menu will come up. Find  "New" and put the curser on it. Another menu will come up. Locate "Text Document" and left click. A new image should come up with "New Text document.txt" the "New Text Document" should be highlighted At this point, you can name the file or wait until later and use "Rename. Left click and the highlight will go away. Double left click and an input box will appear Put the cursor in that, left click once and type away to your ittle hearts content. When you are finished for the time being, go to the X in the upper right corner and coick a box will come up that askis if you wish to save, "yes", "no" "cancel" if you press "yes", what you put on it will be saved as is and the input box will go away leing the icon. If youselect and click 'no, the input box  will disappear and the material will not be saved so that if you doublde left click on the icon, it will be blank. If you click "cancel" the "save?" box will go away, and the area you were typing in will stay as is and you can add more material if you wish or you can close the file by using the X again and this time pressing "yes"

At some time thereafter, you can couble clidk on the icon and , if you saved it, the input area  will come back up. You put the cursor where you finished of, left click and a cursor will com back up and you can add more material and close it the same way you did before. You can do this as many times as you like. Up at the top are the "format" tools. These govern how the text will look. Hopefulllly you are using "Notepad" One of these will be "Word Wrap". If this is on, the text will drop down to the next line automatialy when you reach the edge of the line. If it is not on, you wi just add to the same line. These are "set once" so that if you create another text file Notepad will remember them and you need not edo the format all over for each text document you amke

The instructions should be at the website where your account is

I did it ! The damned thing is now available through Amazon / Kindle books !!!!

MANY thanks to everyone who helped me with the computer stuff, especially Little babyDoll Christine 

( :D ) x 10,000 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 3