LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Paci problems

Mindylou

I love my pacifiers especially at night, but after awhile they make my teeth hurt! My lower teeth and gums are sore .. not only that but I think my teeth have shifted so my bite isn't in line (boy my orthodontist would be so mad!) .. am I doing anything wrong or what do y'all do for it? 

3 hours ago, Mindylou said:

I love my pacifiers especially at night, but after awhile they make my teeth hurt! My lower teeth and gums are sore .. not only that but I think my teeth have shifted so my bite isn't in line (boy my orthodontist would be so mad!) .. am I doing anything wrong or what do y'all do for it? 

@Mindylou

ANY Dentist or Orthodontist will tell you that using a paci past 2-3 or maybe later, can cause trouble for children's teeth, and that is why they discourage allowing kids to use them past maybe 2-3.  If you are under the care of a DMD/DDS (Orthontist) and he/she found out you were using a paci, and NOTICED the shift, he/she may ask you why there was a shift, if there was evidence that a shift had occurred since the last check - I had a problem with my BOTTOM teeth, so they stuck a wire in the bottom, and it keeps my teeth straight, BUT I was also a bad boy, and did not wear my TOP retainer, and after wearing it for a while, I just didn't anymore, when I had the braces off, so I had the top teeth move again, and never had the thing replaced, as the top retainer was then too tight, and wouldn't fit right anyway.  I figure, as long as I have straight and clean teeth, that have no cavities and there's NO pain, I should be OK: They check my teeth every 3 months or so, because I can't floss correctly, or I would bleed like a stuck pig, so I let them do it:  NOT optimum, but acceptable.

Are you still IN braces now?  If So, he/she may be able to just make adjustments to bring the teeth back into line, and this may extend the treatment plan.  Your RIGHT:  He/She may be mad, but if you are asked, you may have to tell him/her why.  I never had that problem, and I just recently started using Mine, but ONLY when stressed, and ONLY for an hour or so, unless I am wicked upset.

I remember catching hell ONCE:  I had brushed my teeth, and I had NOT Cleaned the Retainers or the Cases I used. (They really stunk inside, and I don't think I could have cleaned the retainers without the sonic cleaner, and some denture cleaner) The tech, who I've known since I was like 8, used to work for my former dentist, and she then took a job working for the Orthodontic Practice.  When she took my retainer case, and OPENED that thing, she came back in, and she said "Brian, what the HECK is UP with these RETAINERS!!: They are DISGUSTING:  You KNOW better than that, Young Man:  Geeeez:  I'm puttin these things in the sonic cleaner NOW:  if I EVER see 'em look like this again.........You and I are gonna have problems.....UNDERSTAND??"  I was like *UHHHHM...." and my heart was POUNDING......I was DEAD, she was RIGHT, and I said "YESSSSSSS MAAAAM" and was embarrassed:  I wanted to like RUN outta there.......For HOURS after that, I was jittery, and I would NEVER EVER forget to brush my retainers or TEETH again when walking in there.  Getting BUSTED by one of the coolest techs in Dentistry was WORSE then getting busted by your MOTHER - Multiplied TIMES FIFTY!

Moral:  ALWAYS Brush Teeth, Retainers, Cases and dentures when you have an appointment:  Or, YEP -  You'll GET it! :)  I even went back the next appointment with my former dentist, and said:  "You Remember Cindy?"  He says "Yes, she works for Your Orthodontist doesn't she?"  Said "Yep" Told Him "You don't wanna make her MAD:  She Busted me for not taking care of my Retainers":  Told him what she said, he looked me in the face and said "that's because she CARES about you, and KNOWS you can do better, and YOU'D BETTER make sure you take care of your equipment and teeth, or she'll 'remind you' again! hehehehe"

I can't say that your Paci use has made your teeth shift, but if something HURTS, you may NOT want to use it for a while:  Have your teeth checked, and see what the deal is:  remember though, if you are used to the paci, you may have to tell them WHY the shift happened.  I don't know how you will do this, but I would take a break from it if possible to see if the pain subsides, but have it checked None the Less! *HUG*

Take Care,

Brian

16 hours ago, Mindylou said:

I'm pretty sure your teeth hurting will be because you're pushing your teeth out of line.  Everybody's mouth's different of course, so you can't assume what works for someone else will work for you.  When I started using a dummy at night I worried a bit about whether it would cause my teeth to misalign, and I got a small amount of aching initially, but not much.  My teeth did move a bit, with my front top teeth no longer quite meeting the lower ones, but not enough to notice, and they have settled down in their slightly different configuration - nobody can tell but me, and it doesn't affect eating etc.  The slight aching stopped long ago.  I've got my dummy in my mouth all night every night and have done for the past couple of years, and it causes me no problems at all.  I use the big AB dummies - the small ones for real babies don't fit my mouth properly and I can't latch on to them.

i use a pacifier at night most nights and like most everyone here, I too had a slight amount of discomfort for a few months. Now i sleep every nearly night with it and it rarely even falls out. matter of fact my mouth feels weird if its not there. I will say they do exactly what the intent is.. to pacify. very comforting

• Like 2

@Glennie I agree, my mouth feels empty when it falls out or when I have to take it out. I use it while driving sometimes and when I'm sleeping. The pain has gone away for the most part now , I may have been biting on it more than usual. It does provide comfort. I love my pacifiers.

16 hours ago, ~Brian~ said:

@Mindylou

ANY Dentist or Orthodontist will tell you that using a paci past 2-3 or maybe later, can cause trouble for children's teeth, and that is why they discourage allowing kids to use them past maybe 2-3.  If you are under the care of a DMD/DDS (Orthontist) and he/she found out you were using a paci, and NOTICED the shift, he/she may ask you why there was a shift, if there was evidence that a shift had occurred since the last check - I had a problem with my BOTTOM teeth, so they stuck a wire in the bottom, and it keeps my teeth straight, BUT I was also a bad boy, and did not wear my TOP retainer, and after wearing it for a while, I just didn't anymore, when I had the braces off, so I had the top teeth move again, and never had the thing replaced, as the top retainer was then too tight, and wouldn't fit right anyway.  I figure, as long as I have straight and clean teeth, that have no cavities and there's NO pain, I should be OK: They check my teeth every 3 months or so, because I can't floss correctly, or I would bleed like a stuck pig, so I let them do it:  NOT optimum, but acceptable.

Are you still IN braces now?  If So, he/she may be able to just make adjustments to bring the teeth back into line, and this may extend the treatment plan.  Your RIGHT:  He/She may be mad, but if you are asked, you may have to tell him/her why.  I never had that problem, and I just recently started using Mine, but ONLY when stressed, and ONLY for an hour or so, unless I am wicked upset.

I remember catching hell ONCE:  I had brushed my teeth, and I had NOT Cleaned the Retainers or the Cases I used. (They really stunk inside, and I don't think I could have cleaned the retainers without the sonic cleaner, and some denture cleaner) The tech, who I've known since I was like 8, used to work for my former dentist, and she then took a job working for the Orthodontic Practice.  When she took my retainer case, and OPENED that thing, she came back in, and she said "Brian, what the HECK is UP with these RETAINERS!!: They are DISGUSTING:  You KNOW better than that, Young Man:  Geeeez:  I'm puttin these things in the sonic cleaner NOW:  if I EVER see 'em look like this again.........You and I are gonna have problems.....UNDERSTAND??"  I was like *UHHHHM...." and my heart was POUNDING......I was DEAD, she was RIGHT, and I said "YESSSSSSS MAAAAM" and was embarrassed:  I wanted to like RUN outta there.......For HOURS after that, I was jittery, and I would NEVER EVER forget to brush my retainers or TEETH again when walking in there.  Getting BUSTED by one of the coolest techs in Dentistry was WORSE then getting busted by your MOTHER - Multiplied TIMES FIFTY!

Moral:  ALWAYS Brush Teeth, Retainers, Cases and dentures when you have an appointment:  Or, YEP -  You'll GET it! :)  I even went back the next appointment with my former dentist, and said:  "You Remember Cindy?"  He says "Yes, she works for Your Orthodontist doesn't she?"  Said "Yep" Told Him "You don't wanna make her MAD:  She Busted me for not taking care of my Retainers":  Told him what she said, he looked me in the face and said "that's because she CARES about you, and KNOWS you can do better, and YOU'D BETTER make sure you take care of your equipment and teeth, or she'll 'remind you' again! hehehehe"

I can't say that your Paci use has made your teeth shift, but if something HURTS, you may NOT want to use it for a while:  Have your teeth checked, and see what the deal is:  remember though, if you are used to the paci, you may have to tell them WHY the shift happened.  I don't know how you will do this, but I would take a break from it if possible to see if the pain subsides, but have it checked None the Less! *HUG*

Take Care,

Brian

@Brian Ive had braces off since 8th grade..that's been 40 years ago lol

• Haha 1
6 hours ago, Mindylou said:

@Glennie I agree, my mouth feels empty when it falls out or when I have to take it out. I use it while driving sometimes and when I'm sleeping. The pain has gone away for the most part now , I may have been biting on it more than usual. It does provide comfort. I love my pacifiers.

@Brian Ive had braces off since 8th grade..that's been 40 years ago lol

@Mindylou

Yes, I have been out of braces for 31 years. I think I had them removed when 16 or 17, not sure.  When that "incident" happened, I had been in braces for a couple years, and was "lazy" that day, and I KNEW that I should have cleaned it up, but thought it may be another tech that was cleaning the retainers and cases:  NOPE:  and this tech LET me HAVE IT:  I **NEVER** forgot to do it again!  I still have the lower wire in to this day, and will leave it there, because it stabilizes the lower teeth :)

@Glennie

I agree:  sometimes, I feel lonely or sad, or stressed, and it helps me relax - I don't know why, but it does  - I CAN'T suck my THUMB, though - DIIIIRRRRTY *YUCK*

Brian

On 3/13/2021 at 12:18 PM, Mindylou said:

I think my teeth have shifted so my bite isn't in line

I have the same problem, so I try not tu use my paci everyday, badly

I had that problem in the beginning, which was kind of discouraging... But if the pacifier doesn't go past your front teeth there is little opportunity to hurt teeth. That's why I use a pacifier for 0 to 6 months. 

• 2 months later...

I’ve never had this problem … I’ve used my dummy every night of my life… never stopped using one… 

parents did try to get me to stop but I just found them or used a friends and then bought my own… 

my teeth are in good shape. I think I’ve been lucky.

maybe try one or two nights off from it if it’s hurting