LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Zinc Oxide and Diapers: Does it Smell stange to you?

Good Evening:

I was wondering if any of you that have to use Zinc Oxide (Diaper Rash Creme) think that it smells "Funny" to you?  What I mean is, when I find that I am getting irritation, I apply the Zinc Oxide during a diaper change.  When I am done, I could SWEAR that it smells like a cross between Fresh Hay, and Cow manure........is Zinc Oxide supposed to smell like that?

Just curious

Brian

Hard to say.  I use Calmoseptine which has about 20% zinc oxide, along with 24% vaseline and 15% lanolin.  Beyond the 0.4% menthol, the other smell is something I can't really place.  I certainly don't smell manure, but hay isn't out of the question. To me, it's definitely an unusual smell for an ointment.

I don't have a 100% zinc oxide balm, so take it for what it is worth.  

Zinc oxide cream does whiff a bit.  Always has and always will.  It's a smell from my childhood, and I like it.  Sudocrem is zinc oxide cream with a few additives and (to me) doesn't smell as strong, so presumably they add stuff to suppress the smell.  Plain zinc oxide cream is cheaper though.

I have noticed it has an odor, just like anything else, but it doesn't smell like hay and manure to me.  It has more of a medicinal smell.  Sure you haven't been rolling around in a cow pasture?  :01_EmoticonsHDcom:

i know that equate brand rash/barrier cream has a bit of a "low tide"-kinda smell to it. read the ingredients, it contains cod liver oil. not an awful smell, but not exactly a nice one, either. kind of reminded me of an islay style scotch lol but not in a good way.

calmoseptine is my go-to brand, to me it just smells clean and kind of medicinal, sort of like a nurse's office at school or maybe a doctor's office. much better and nicer smell than the funky fish undertones of equate lol.

@dyperbole, that hard to place smell is probably calamine. used for treating skin itches/irritations, like big bites, poison ivy/oak/sumac and chickenpox. it's a darker, almost tan-ish shade of pink and has the consistency of heavy cream. it's the #1 listed ingredient on the inactive ingredient list. i love the stuff!