LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Model Railroading

• 8 months later...

Oh, man, I never saw this thread! Unfortunately, I don't really have the money OR space for a set right now, but I used to.

I have a set that is an American Themed one that my dad got off of QVC. it is on an HO scale track, but the train and cars are much larger than that.

I also have my dad's old Lionel set, which I have to see if it still works (needs the wiring for the tracks). Its still at his place somewhere though

-Sky

• 2 weeks later...

Well i am a long time model railroader. i started off with Lionel stuff as a kid and built a decent layout over the years. unfortunately it is now in boxes due to limited space at my current home. in the last couple of years i have gone to nscale and am starting to build up my collection of nscale stuff though i still do not have a layout set up again hope to get that going in th near future

I used to be really into HO trains, but Mom tossed it before I had room to take them. I always planned on starting up again, but work got in the way. Now, I have the time, but don't have the money or space. I would love to hear about your setups and at least fantasize I am playing with it.

I don't have the room to do a full sclae set up nut the two I would like to do would be a monorail running through tokoy and the other would be an old diesel engine running through a nice cross country setting. I'd like to have a tunnel through a mountain and with a waterfall funning alongside it into a nice lake. With ho scale the layout is half the fun. A freind of the family had a gorgeous layout in his basement years ago.

• 1 year later...

the world's greatest hobbie, indeed :)

although home brewing is an incredibly close second :beer:

i've been interested in MRR-ing as far back as i can remember. i grew up with thomas on tv and my dad introduced me to his favorite HO-scale hobbie when i was no more than 5. from there it just took off.

i've been MRR-ing on and off since, over 20 years later (damn thats a long time lol). got a layout going now in the beginning stages, just standard DC, i dont have the money right now for DCC, but oh well :P

I'm into n scale. But because i'm an amputee i cant really build the layout myself. For about 12 years now been wanting to put one together. I have a few materials saved up, but i would prolly just have somebody build me one.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Here I thought I would be necroing this thread rather badly, but it keeps popping up, which is a cool thing! :D

Anyways, I thought I would pp in here because I have an odd "technical issue" I was digging through my dads old Lionel train set, trying to sort things out and came across something weird....there seem to be 2 sets of tracks :huh:

Background: my dad was born in 1927, and requested (IE DEMANDED) a railroad set for Christmas when he was around 4 years old, which would be around 1933-ish. He got the set, and I thought I knew what it looked like, until I started rummaging through stuff. I came across a box that had stuff wrapped in newspaper dating to 1963...it was all his old Lionel stuff :o All old tin cars and a red "Lionel junior" locomotive. I never knew this thing existed! There were other 'O' gauge trains that were not wrapped, but still in the orange Lionel boxes...and they turned out to be plastic...now I started scratching my head. If my dads set was the old "O" gauge tin set....then what the hell was the other set?? We NEVER played with trains when I was a kid, non of us got any as gifts, and my dads set was boxed up back in 1963....tis a puzzlment!

TO make matters worse, the 2 batches of tracks are DIFFERENT! I attached pictures to see if anyone knows why one set has taller rails than the other (older) set...anyone have a clue as to WTF is going on here??

I'm a model builder, not a railroader, though it might be nice to restore the old train set and maybe have it going around a Christmas tree or something..I jsut don't know why there are apparently 2 seperate train sets, and where did the other one come from, with the plastic cars and such...

I'm SOOOOOOOOOO Confused!!!!

duck- the only things i can think if with your tracks is different time of manufacture, or possibly different manufacturer. i dont think lionel held any special patents with their track, and other knock-off brands could tweak the design slightly to make it their own.

i could be wrong, though! im not into lionel/o-gauge, i think my dad was, but i really dont know. i know he didnt have any old large scale train stuff when he was introducing me to the hobby. im just an HO scale kinda guy :)

your dad could have rewrapped his old trains in '63 from their original wrappings from back in the day, or bought others around then.... or.... something else im not thinking of right now lol

Yeah, I've pretty much come to the conclusion that there are 2 different train sets, but where the 2nd one came from I have no clue at all..it's just weird. But, oh well...onward and up ward, I'll just box everything up separately, 2 different sets and label them as such, one being the oldest and one being of unknown origin and newer...*shrug*

It sounds like I'm making a mountain out of a mole hill....and maybe I am. but I was always under the impression that there was just 1 railroad set that my dad had from his childhood, and no others, since non of us got any kind of trains when we were kids. well..I take that back, my younger brother got an HO set sometime back then, and I don't know what he did with it...MEH.

Screw it, so I have 2 sets now, more to go around the Christmas tree! ;)

Thanks!