Can We Adopt added Chapter 4

Can We Adopt Her?

Characters:

Dad:               Tom Williams age: 37  January 6th

Mom:            Kate                age: 35  April 17th

Big Brother:  Ralph   age: 12  December 4th

Adopted Sister:          Elizabeth age: 9  October 15th

Chapter One:  Pick up

They were finally in the car with Ralph’s new baby sister, well, she wasn’t exactly a baby.  She was nine years old, but they were in the car, and they were taking her home with them for the first time.

Ralph sat back with a smile on his face as he thought about all the work it took to get his little sister.  You see, at first, Ralph didn’t want a little sister.  He wanted a brother.

Now, a couple of years ago, when Ralph was in the fifth grade, he was doing a school project where he was researching something called adopt-a-highway, and while he was doing that, he hit the search key only after hiding adopt.

He came across a long list of stuff that he shrugged at and just chose one.  That was when he first found out that adoption was legal and that they had a lot of kids, to him, at least a million kids, all ranging from about three years old all the way to sixteen years old.

A little interested, but knowing he had to get back to his school work, he marked the page to look at again, and then he backed out and went about his school work.

The next week that they had computer lab, while the teacher explained their new computer assignment, he clicked on the history button and found his old site again.  He immediately skipped ahead to the age group of kids that were seven years old, looking to see who was really there.

The teacher came by and squatted down next to him, and Ralph, not being fast enough to hide the screen, had his hands held while the teacher took the keyboard and mouse away from him with the other hand.

“We’ll talk after I get the rest of the class working,” she told him.

Ralph thought for sure he was in trouble.  They had been told about going off on sites by themselves when school first started, so he figured he probably lost access to the computer for the rest of the year, but that’s not what happened.

“Ralph, why are you looking at adoption kids?” his teacher asked him.  “Are you afraid you were adopted and not told?”

Ralph shook his head no.

“Well, why are you looking at stuff like that instead of your studies?”

Ralph was just ten years old at the time and in fifth grade, so he wasn’t sure how to say what he was feeling.  He didn’t even know at that moment if he really wanted a little brother at the time.  He was just interested.  He could only shrug his shoulders.

“I want you to go back to the assignment that we are supposed to be doing,” his teacher told him.  “I’m not going to get excited and throw you out of the computer lab for looking at something like this.  It’s not such a bad thing, but next time you want to look up something like this, you need to ask permission, or you need to do it at home, okay?”

Ralph nodded.

Well, a month or so went by, and he had almost forgotten about that page, but his computer already had it stored.  There was an assignment for children to write about a pet they’d like to have, so he researched adopting again, thinking pets this time.  Now, he wasn’t stupid.  He knew when the list came up, that the one that was purpled out was the one he had looked at before. 

He knew he should ignore it.  He was there to look for pets to give him an idea of what to write about, but that purple marked out list item just drove him crazy as he stared at it.  He shifted in his seat.  Did he dare?

He finally clicked on it, and lo and behold, the teacher came upon him just as he did.

“Do you know what a purpled out line means?” his teacher asked him.

“It means I’ve seen that page before,” Ralph answered.  He knew full well what that page was, and he figured it was no point in trying to lie to the teacher that he was just tempted to click on it.

“So, you really want to look at these pictures?” she asked him. “Why, Ralph?”

“Because….” He looked down.  “I… I don’t know how to explain.  I just want to see.”

The teacher smiled and had him get up and gather his things.  Then, he was led out of the room and down to the counselor’s room.  The teacher explained a few things and asked the counselor to talk with him.

Ralph saw the counselor every week when the rest of the class went to computer lab for the rest of the year, and he started to realize that he was lonely at home, and that he wanted a brother.  The counselor told him he should tell his parents, but he said he couldn’t.

The counselor let him actually explore on that site in front of him, and even had him write down his feelings as he explored the kids on the sites.  Before long, he knew he wanted a little brother, and he was eventually able to tell the counselor this. 

As they searched together, though, this one girl stuck out like a sore thumb at him.  He tried to pass by her picture, but after looking past the age that would make them younger than him, he found himself going back up towards her picture.  He didn’t click on her picture directly because he felt weird.  He was afraid the counselor would think he was weird, so he clicked on the boys on her same page, but then he had to make excuses to click on boys he had already clicked on just to see the little girl.

A few sessions went by where he was looking at the page, and the counselor seemed to guess that he was randomly clicking on boys, but that he wanted to click somewhere else.

“Why don’t you click on a girl, you know, just to see the profile?” the counselor ask him.

“Isn’t that weird?” Ralph asked.

“Why would it be weird?” the counselor asked.  “You are looking for a sibling, aren’t you?  Maybe your head is telling you that you want a brother because you are afraid of wanting a sister, but maybe your heart wants a sister.”

Ralph thought the counselor was talking in circles, but then, there was a comforting notion that the counselor seemed to at least know he wasn’t happy with the boys on the page though he kept looking there, so he finally gave in and read this girl’s profile.

Elizabeth:  7 years old  birthday October 15. 

Ralph didn’t remember everything he read on that fateful day, but as he read, he started to warm up to her.  He could easily see her being his little baby sister, and the cutie even had two of her fingers in her mouth in one of the pictures they had of her.  She was so adorable!  He started to look at her page every time he went to see the counselor from that point on, checking her adoption status first, to see if she was still available.

Ralph didn’t know it, but the counselor had been in contact with his parents while he continued to let Ralph look at the pictures on the adoption agency page.

Then, one day before Christmas break, the counselor called for a meeting with Ralph and his parents during school hours.  Ralph sat nervously wondering what the counselor thought he had done wrong that they needed to talk to his parents.

The counselor turned Ralph’s page on for his parents, and then showed them Elizabeth, Ralph thought, for the first time.

“I am not going to tell you what you should do about this,” the counselor told his parents, “but your son is lonely at home.”

His counselor then started to share the diary he asked Ralph to keep as he looked through these pictures.  They were told that Ralph had to come to this office during computer time for the last several months because he couldn’t be trusted to stay on task in the computer lab, and the teacher didn’t want other kids distracted by what he was doing thinking they could look at whatever they wanted, too. 

In the end, though Ralph thought he was going to get in trouble, this led to his parents asking about adoption with the agency.  All through the process, Ralph was allowed to keep looking at that page in the counselor’s office for the rest of his fifth grade year.

Then, after nearly a year and a half, his family was cleared for adoption, and they started letting him write to Elizabeth. 

Elizabeth had very nice writing for a little girl, and she always sighed her letters with little stars, moons, and hearts around her name at the bottom.

Ralph never thought why did her letters sometimes have yellow stains on them?  But quite a few of them did.  He was just glad to get her letters each time she wrote to him.  He wrote to her as much as he was allowed, and was grateful he was still not allowed to go to computer class in sixth grade with the rest of his class.  He used that time in the counselor’s office to write letters to her or to read her letters to him.  She liked some of the same things he did, and she said she was excited about being his sister and hoped they would do things together.

Now, he was twelve years old and in beginning of his seventh year of school in September, on a Saturday, and he had his little sister physically next to him.

He smiled and held out his hand to the now nine year old little sister, and smiled.

She smiled back.

“I told mom and dad everything that you told me you like so we can decorate your room a bit for you,” Ralph told her.

She smiled.  “Everything?”

“Well, everything that would make it easy for us to decorate your room.  Your secrets that you wanted me to keep, I didn’t tell anyone.”

She smiled.  “I didn’t tell anyone your secrets either,” she whispered.

They sighed and before Ralph knew it, with all the excitement of getting her, he didn’t sleep the whole way to the big city to pick her up though it was three hours, and while waiting for the adults to do official stuff, he played checkers, chess, and tag with her.  They had fast food for lunch on their way out, and now, both children sat content in the back seat, exhausted but elated as their tired bodies took over and started to make them doze off.

An hour into the ride back, when mom looked back to check on the kids, she saw little Elizabeth stretched as far from her seat as her upper body would let her reach while the seatbelt kept her in place, reaching towards her new brother.  And she saw Ralph, the much taller boy, also stretched out towards his sister, so that she lay her head on his shoulder as a pillow, and his head turned towards the front so he could breath, his arms were down her back laying on top of her as if to hug her.

She took out her camera and snapped a picture.

Ralph would only learn of this later, when his mom would show him the picture while they talked about how he got his baby sister, and how involved he was with the adoption.

Edited by Ishigreensa
Inconsistencies in the story were corrected
  • Like 1

Can We Adopt Her?

Characters:

Chapter Two: Bonding Initiation

Remember that we mentioned that some of her letters to him were stained a bit yellowish?  Well, as the two children slept there, as close to being in each other’s arms as the seatbelts would allow, time slowly passed, and an hour or so after Kate had taken the picture of her new daughter and her son trying to embrace one another in their sleep, a little wetness started to creep over the back of the girl’s left leg and it crept down the outside of it in a thin stream like line until it reached the car seat she lay on.  Then another thin stream like line started down the inside of her leg. 

The girl seemed oblivious to it as with every breath, a little bit of pee escaped and she slowly wet herself for nearly two minutes.  Then a sudden shower of pee came flooding out, a shower that was drowned out by the sound of the radio in the front seat so that Kate didn’t catch her when it was happening.  Both kids were sleeping, and so had no idea it was happening, and Tom was driving.

It never occurred to Ralph that his little sister might be a bed wetter before this, not that it would have mattered.  But after almost an hour after the wetting had stopped, the car slowed down, and they were now clearly in their small town, not more than five minutes from home.

The slowing of the car woke Ralph, and he patted his sister on her back where his hand was resting before he started to sit up, and then he saw.  The back of her pants were wet, and when she lifted herself up, tears in her eyes, he could see the whole front of her pants were wet because she was practically sleeping on her stomach.  The seat between them was just soaked as well as the seat under where she now sat.  His sister had peed her pants in the car, in her sleep, and he wasn’t sure what to do.  He could tell on her, but she was already crying.  He wasn’t sure telling on her would help at all, not that mom wouldn’t look back and see for herself anyway.

“It’s okay, Elizabeth, baby,” Kate told her.  “It’s not that big a deal, honey.”

Tom looked at Kate a bit confused at first.

“She’s had an accident,” Ralph heard his mother tell his father about Elizabeth.  He felt sorry for her.  How embarrassing to be in front of the people that you were going to live the rest of your life with, for the first day of this new life, and to wet yourself like that!  He wanted to hug her, but his seatbelt and the wet puddle between them separated him from her at the time being.

“Honey,” Tom spoke to Elizabeth from the front.  “Don’t worry about it, sweetie.  We know all about the problems you have, and we are going to do whatever we can to help you work through them.  You’re not in trouble, and there is nothing to be ashamed of.  A lot of people wet in their sleep when they are young, honey.”

Elizabeth’s face got even more crimson as she looked over at Ralph.  Ralph also felt his face get hot and red at being told his little sister wets the bed.  He didn’t mind though.  She couldn’t help it if she had a little wetting problem.  All that mattered, was that she was his sister now, and it was his job to be her big brother.

“Ellie,” he had taken to call her.  “When we get inside, I’ll run you a bath unless mom does it first.  Don’t be scared, okay?”

She nodded.

Ralph smiled.

She smiled, though her smile was wonky and nervous, she still seemed to try.

They got out of the car not five minutes later, and Ralph ran around to her side and put an arm around her.  Tom had gone on ahead to unlock the house door, and mom made sure the car doors were secure before coming up behind them.

“I… I’m sorry,” Elizabeth said looking at the ground.

“For what?” Ralph asked her wiping her head so that a loose strand of nearly black-brown hair was lifted up around her ear.

“Sometimes, I pee my pants when I’m sleeping,” she whispered.

“So?” Ralph said.  “That’s not such a big deal.  If it was, mom wouldn’t have told you not to worry about it in the car.  I didn’t ask for you because I thought you didn’t wet the bed,” he told her.  “Honestly, I thought I wanted a brother at first, almost two years ago, but then your picture and your profile caught my attention.  You like chess, and you like hiking and playing outdoors.”

Elizabeth looked down smiling, her face blushing.  “And camping,” she added in a very low voice.

“And camping,” Ralph agreed.  “You enjoy all the things that were a reason I thought I wanted a brother.  And you like to play catch and basketball, too, right?”

She nodded.

Her mood was quickly changing as they walked into the front door.  She was no longer worried about being in peed clothes as they talked, but was more interested in their conversation.  Ralph was happy he was able to take her mind off of it until he got her to the bathroom door.  He stood there, not daring to go in with her.

“Do you still… um… need to pee?” he asked her.

She looked down again and shook her head no.

“Well, I do.  Can you wait out here until I go, and then I’ll let you in and start your bath?”

She nodded.  “But you’re not going to stay while I take a bath, are you?”

“No,” he laughed nervously.  “I don’t think that would be allowed.  Besides, you’re a girl.  Brother or not, you don’t want a boy watching you take a bath, right?”

She nodded and smiled up at him.  “That’s why I asked.  I was afraid, the way you were acting….”

“I am just trying to help you,” Ralph said.  “I’m your big brother, and anyway I can help you, that won’t make you embarrassed more or hurt your feelings, I am going to do it.  That’s why I said I’d run the bath, but staying would embarrass both of us, okay?”

She nodded.  “Thank you, Ralph-y.”

She seemed to like to add that –y sound at the end of his name.  He didn’t really mind it, to tell the truth.  Not that he would let anyone else call him Ralph-y mind you.  But his sister was allowed.

Ralph shut her out of the bathroom so he could use it, and while he peed into the toilet, he thought about his little sister.  He wondered why she still wet the bed at nine going on ten years old, but either way, he wouldn’t care.  If anyone was mean to her just because she had a little trouble not going potty like a big girl, then he would have something to say about that.  She was his baby sister, and he intended to protect her. 

All those months of trading letters and getting to this point, where he was able to bring his little sister home, he felt like he really got to know what was important about her, and he really thought he loved her, as a sister.

When he was done, and had washed his hands, he reached into the tub and started to get the water warm.  While he ran out the coldness of the water, he went and unlocked the bathroom door and nodded for her to come in.

“I’m just getting the water warm, and then I’ll run the bath for you,” he told her.  “I’m your big brother now, so when I can take care of you, I will.”

He felt the water again, and then he quickly adjusted for the cold water to make it warm rather than too hot.

“Feel that,” he told his sister.  “Is that right, or do you want more hot or more cold?”

She put her hand in the water and smiled.  “It’s perfect.”

He then stoppered the tub and smiled at her.

“You can’t really do anything while I’m running the water, so if you want, just sit on the top of the toilet lid while you wait,” he told her.  “I’m sure mom will bring you some of your clothes in a bit so you have them to change into when you are done.”

Elizabeth shrugged, and she turned around and messed with the front of her pants.

“What are you doing?”

“Nothing,” she said.  “You’re my brother, aren’t you?  I’m not going to show you anything, but these pants are getting kind of cold and itchy.”

Ralph blushed and turned away from her scared she was going to pull her pants down.

Well, she did pull her pants down, but her panties were still on, and he couldn’t stay completely turned away because she asked him a question.

“After I get a bath, want to play soldiers?” she asked him.

He had explained to her in one of his letters that he liked to play “soldiers,” a game he made up by hiding his men around his room behind books and stuff and then trying to shoot them with rubber bands.  He didn’t think she’d like that kind of game when he told her, though.  He just told her just like she had told him that she liked to play with one particular doll that she had been left after a fire that killed her parents, and she called it her baby.

He smiled though as he turned to answer her, and saw that she did keep the front of her body turned away from him, and she still had her panties on, so she was kind of decent, sort of.  “Okay,” he agreed.  He wanted to play with his sister.  Maybe that’s why she suggested soldiers.  It was getting late, and she probably figured as did he, that their parents wouldn’t let them go outside for very long.

Just then, Kate appeared at the doorway of the bathroom.

“Kids?  What are you doing with your sister nearly undressed, and you in the bathroom with her?”

“That my fault,” Elizabeth stepped closer to Kate to explain.  “He went in the bathroom first to use it, and then start me a bath.  I just couldn’t take wearing the wet pants anymore, so I took them off, but I have my panties on, and I’m turned away from him.  I thought it was okay.”

Kate sighed.  “It’s not ideal that you let your bother see you in just panties, honey.  But I guess there’s no harm done.”

However, Kate stood there until the water was ready and Ralph turned off the taps.

“Your bath is ready,” he told his little sister.  “When you are ready, you can come and find me, and we’ll play soldiers, okay?”

She smiled and nodded just as mom started to shoo him out.  Mom closed the door, and Ralph sighed as he went to his room to look for all his soldiers. 

Half of the fun was placing them, so he would save that for when his sister was ready, but he had to find them.  Some of them were still hidden around the room from playing before.  He lost count of how many he had because he often wanted his parents to buy more for this game.

It seemed he had spent much more time than he realized was passing, looking for this little army, because before he knew it, his little sister was at his door, knocking though the door was open, and smiling in at him.  Her plush brown cheeks were so cute!  She was Mexican with a touch of American Indian, but that didn’t matter to Ralph.  All that mattered, was that her shiny brown eyes and her cute plush face was so innocent and babyish, that he melted every time he saw her.

“I’ve been gathering the army,” he told her.  “Even though most of them were already hidden from earlier, when I abandoned the game to come and get you, I found them all and got them ready to set up again.  Part of the fun of this, is placing them.”

Elizabeth smiled as he explained.  He could see in her eyes that while she didn’t exactly understand the appeal of hiding them yet, she wanted to trust him.

He started to count out all the men he could find and divided them into two groups so that she could hide half of them.  When he found that there was an odd number, he told her he would place the left over one so he could show her how to do it.

“See?  You gotta look at the place we are allowed to shoot from, and make sure that at least a part of them are exposed so we can actually hit them, but try to get them hidden as well as you can so that it’s not easy to hit.  I’m pretty good at aiming because I do this a lot when I’m bored.”

Elizabeth paid special attention, and then when he told her she could go, and told her to do one side of the room while he did the other side, she seemed to agree and started to place her army.

He had finished placing his army before she did, so he helped her out, being truthful and honest with her because he was a good shot, and wanted to make sure it was fair.  He planned on taking turns, and shooting at each other’s placed soldiers.

Just as they finished with her last three pieces, though, Kate called from downstairs at them.

“Kids!  Dinner!”

Ralph sighed and reached for Elizabeth’s hand.  He would just have to show her this game later.

His sister smelled kind of nice as he held her hand.  Her hair smelled something like flowers mixed in strawberries.  She was glowing in cleanliness, and her yellow t-shirt with one of the Disney Princesses that he didn’t recognize seemed to pale in beauty to his sister’s face.

“Did you say prayers at your last place you stayed when you ate?” Ralph asked on the way down the stairs.

She smiled and nodded.  “I think they were Cassrick.”

“Cassrick?” he asked trying to understand what she meant.  “Oh, do you mean Cath-o-lic?” he asked saying it as slowly as he could so she could understand how it was said.

She nodded.  “Everyone I was around always just said ‘cassrick’ so I thought that’s how you say it.”

He smiled.  “Well, I know how it is spelled, so that’s why I’m sure my way to say it is right.”

She nodded and looked up to him.  He was older, so he was probably right?  He hoped that’s what he saw in her eyes as she looked at him.  After all, he was her older brother, and he wanted her to trust him.  He would not lie to her about knowing something if he really didn’t know.

They came to the table and he saw that mom and dad put them so one kid was flanked by both parents on each side of their square table, and so that the kids were faced across from one another.  Though he wanted to sit by his sister, he didn’t complain.

Mom served some chicken, mashed potatoes, corn, peas, and macaroni on each dish while the children waited, and then dad bowed his head to give example that it was time to pray.

Ralph had grown up in the church they went to, so he didn’t know that there were other ways to pray.  He was a little surprised to see his little sister making some kind of gestures in the air before she also bowed her head and waited.

“What was all that about,” he asked her after the prayer was finished.

“What all about what?” she asked looking confused.

“You made a plus sign in the air or something before praying.”

“Don’t you know?” she asked him a little surprised?  “The father?” she started at the top of the symbol she had traced… and explained the catholic symbol to him.

“I knew Catholics made the symbol sometimes, but no, I didn’t realize they really prayed like that.”

“Yeah, well, you pray sort of funny, too,” she observed.  “Do you really have to say Thy, and Thou and so on?”

“It’s old formal speech to show respect to the father,” Ralph explained.  “So, yeah, it’s kind of important.”

She nodded.  “I guess we have different ways to show respect to God, then?”

He nodded.  “I don’t think it matters as long as we show respect.  Who knows what God really cares about?  As far as I know, he is just being our father, so if we are trying, then he doesn’t care about semantics, right?”

“Say man ticks?” she asked trying to get her head around the word.

“Se-man-tics,” he repeated slowly.  “Yeah.  It means it doesn’t matter what words or gestures we use, maybe.  Only that we are showing respect the best way we know how?”

She nodded and smiled.  “Yeah. You must be right.”

“Remember when we ate lunch in the restaurant before?” she asked.  “How come you didn’t pray like now, but I always show the symbol of praying even then?”

Ralph shrugged.  “Jesus told us not to pray for man’s benefit.  In our family, we think it’s just calling attention to men when we say it out loud, so we each pray silently before we eat when we are in public.  But I still pray.”

She nodded.  “Oh, okay.  Yeah, I guess that’s what we do, too.  It’s just… we always do the symbol anyway.  Does that mean I’m making others notice me?”

Ralph looked to his parents for help.  He wasn’t sure.

Tom smiled and put a hand on her shoulder.  “Honey, you pray the way you think is right.  If you need to make the symbol, even in public to show your respect and reverence to God, then you do that.  As long as the symbol is for God and not for man, then you are not doing it wrong, okay?”

She smiled and nodded.

Ralph loved the way his dad always seemed to have an answer, and then he asked.  “So… if I did pray out loud at school… it wouldn’t be wrong?”

Tom gave Ralph a look, and he pointed to his chest.

“Look inside yourself and pray about it tonight.  The answer will reveal itself to you if you ask earnestly.  Until you get that answer, I’ll ask you to pray the way I taught you, but if you get a different answer, then do what God says, not what I say, okay?”

Ralph nodded.

Ralph wasn’t sure that all prayers were answered though, so he wondered if that was a way for dad to tell him to just pray silently while in his dad’s household.  He had no reason to disobey that, though, so let it pass.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is turning out to be an interesting story. I am eagerly anticipating your next chapter. Ralph is a fantastic big brother and I cannot wait to see how he grows into the "big brother" mindset

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Jayme said:

This is turning out to be an interesting story. I am eagerly anticipating your next chapter. Ralph is a fantastic big brother and I cannot wait to see how he grows into the "big brother" mindset

Thank you for your support.

I was working on chapter 3, but had to do some "spring cleaning" of my room, which is still not done, so I had to disappear for a while and didn't get to finish chapter three yet.

Can We Adopt Her?

Characters:

Chapter Three: My Baby Sister

That first evening went by rather fast, and Ralph found that he had to go to bed much too early for his liking.  Of course, the next day was Sunday, so he still had all day to spend with her then, but he still rather hated to see her go to her own bedroom, and knew that he had to sleep in his own room, and they would be separated.  Apart from her bath that evening, they had not really spent any time apart that whole first day.

However, sometime in the middle of the night, when Ralph tried to move over a bit, he felt a large lump that he couldn’t move over in his way, and his eyes opened to the back of his new sister in his bed, sleeping.

He smiled and stopped trying to move over.  Rather, he put his arm around her and tried to go back to sleep.

The next morning, Ralph woke up and sat up, and as he did so, he accidently pulled the blankets a bit from his little sister.  He smiled at her as she lay there, sucking her first and middle finger in her sleep, and then he noticed her pajama bottoms.  They were a little wet and there was some pee on his bed.  It wasn’t that bad because of the diaper she had on under her pajamas, that he could see peeking over the waistband of her pajamas, but it was still enough that he knew she had peed in her sleep again.

His little sister started to stir, and he smiled as she sat up and put his hand on her back.

“Did you sleep okay?” he asked her.

But she looked down at her lap, and her lip started to tremble as her eyes moistened and he sat tears filling them.  He pulled her over onto his lap, now feeling her wet bottom on his lap, but he didn’t care.  She was about to cry and he wanted to stop that happening as soon as possible.

“What’s wrong, baby sis?”

“I… I…” she was trembling, stutter, scared.

“You wet the bed,” he whispered to her.  “I know, baby sis.  It’s okay.”

“You… you’re not mad?” she asked her voice cracking a bit at the end.

“No, sweetie.  Remember?  We talked about you wetting your pants in the car yesterday.  It’s not a big deal, Ellie.  You can’t help it.”

“But… I… I….”

“Sh… I know,” Ralph pulled his little sister’s upper body into him and hugged her.  “I don’t mind that you wet in my bed.  Actually, it’s cute,” he told her.

“Cute?”

“Yeah.  Cute that you wanted to sleep with your big brother,” he told her.  “The wetting is something you can’t help, but sleeping with your big brother was your choice, and it was cute.”

She started to smile, but then a look of horror came to her face as the doorway to their room was filled with the frame of their father.

“Your mommy is looking for you Elizabeth.”

She looked up at him.  “S…so…sorry.”

“She’s scared you’re going to punish her,” Ralph told his dad.

“Why would I do that?” he came over and sat on the corner of the bed.  “Did our little Elizabeth have a little incident in the night?  Do you need a little bath, honey?”

The little girl now had tears running down her cheeks as she nodded and her face got really red.  Of course her foster daddy knew about her peeing her pants.  He told her that the social worker told him everything.  But Ralph couldn’t help thinking that hearing the social worker told him, and actually having her wet pants exposed to him was not really the same in his sister’s eyes.

He pulled her into a tighter hug again.

“Daddy isn’t mad, Ellie.  He knows you can’t help it.”

She looked up at Ralph and then up at Tom.  Tom had a small smile on his unshaven face.  His green eyes pierced hers, but they were soft, and Ralph felt little Elizabeth starting to relax in his arms.

“You knew she wet herself, didn’t you?” Tom asked his son.

Ralph nodded.  “Yeah.”

“Well, I was just wondering because you know you had her in your lap this whole time, and now you’re all wet, and it looks like she got your bed some, too.”

Ralph laughed it off.  “Yeah, my little sister needed her big brother, so what’s a little pee?”

Tom smiled.

“Well, go get a shower, Ralph.  We still need to try to be on time for church, okay?”

Ralph nodded, and he let his little sister up, and then he went about gathering clothes together that he would dress into after his shower.  As he started to get ready for his shower, Tom reached down and picked up his little baby girl and carried her to see her mommy.

“Baby Elizabeth had a little problem in the night,” Ralph could imagine his dad telling his mom.  He smiled at that thought as he started towards the bathroom to get his shower.

Later, they were at the table.  His father was dressed in a brown suitcoat and matching trousers.  Ralph had on just a white shirt, tie, and the best dress jeans he owned.  His mother was in a dress with floral patterns all over it, and his little sister had on a cute little pink blouse and a blue skirt.

“Ralph-y?” Elizabeth looked up at him as they sat eating cereal.  “You don’t go to Cassrick church, do you?”

Ralph smiled at her little mistake.  He tried to teach her to say the word correctly the day before, but she went back to calling it the little girl way.  Did it really matter?

“No, Ellie, we go to a different church.  It might be a little different from what you are used to, but I’ll stay with you all day if you want.”

Tom looked up at Ralph and frowned at first.

“Um… I mean, if it’s okay with you, dad.”

“Of course it’s okay with me,” he told Ralph.  “But we have to ask the primary class, too.  Don’t make promises until you ask everyone involved.  I’m sure there won’t be a problem, but still, we don’t promise something unless we know for sure in this family.  That way, mistakes are not made that seem like lies, okay?”

Ralph nodded.  “Sorry.  Okay.”

Tom smiled.  “I know your heart is in the right place, and I am glad you want to take care of your little sister.  I just want to make sure you don’t accidentally promise something that you can’t do, and then make her feel she can’t trust you.”

Ralph nodded.  That made sense, but then, his dad almost always made sense when he explained things to him.

“We’ll ask and get permission for Ralph to stay with you today if we can, okay, honey?  If not Ralph, then you can stay with your mommy.”

Elizabeth nodded and smiled.

Ralph knew that dad could keep the promise with the mother, because when he was in primary, she saw mothers sometimes miss their own meetings to be with their children, and sometimes even to be with visiting nieces and nephews in Primary.

They went out to the car, and as Ralph helped his little sister get in, he noticed that mom must have put her in a diaper for church.  Thinking about how long the services were, and how nervous his little sister was, he thought that a diaper was a really good idea.

Elizabeth looked back at him as he helped her in, and she must have noticed that he saw her diaper.

“Mommy says it’s just in case,” she told him pulling her skirt up so he could clearly see that she was diapered.  “Mommy says if I gotta go, I can go, and if I need help, to get her or someone to help me, but if I can’t make it, or can’t find someone in time, it’s okay to pee my pants.”

Ralph nodded and smiled.

He went around to his side of the car and got in and buckled himself in.

“Don’t worry too much about it,” he told her.  “Most of the kids that are at church are busier trying to learn about Jesus and God, so they won’t be trying to look under your skirt.  And if someone does try to look, I’ll be there, hopefully, and I’ll remind them that it’s not nice and Jesus would not be happy if they do that.”

Elizabeth smiled and nodded.

“One time, I peed in the seat at church at the last place they put me,” Elizabeth suddenly said as they drove towards the church.  “I was whipped not because of peeing myself, but because of where I did it.”

She looked down.

“God doesn’t like dirty people.”

“Those people are stupid,” Ralph told her.  “No wonder they took you out of a home like that!  When they say God doesn’t like dirty people, they mean that he doesn’t like you not taking care of your body to the best of your ability, and he doesn’t like you thinking about bad things all the time.  They don’t mean you can’t have an accident.  God loves all children, and think of all the little ones that mess their pants all the time!  God doesn’t hate them for something like that.”

Elizabeth nodded at Ralph.  “Really think so?  I always thought God punished me for being bad and peeing my pants at church by putting me with people that hit me for it.”

“Well, God put you with us, didn’t he?”

She looked at him and started thinking.  He could tell, because her finger came to the corner of her mouth and she narrowed her eyes a bit.

“It’s true,” he told her.  “God must have put you in our family on purpose.  After all, I already told you that when I first got the idea to have a younger in the family, I was looking for a brother, but then you came up, and I couldn’t get you out of my mind, and then my parents agreed, very easily, I might add, and then we had no troubles with anything in getting you.  So… God must have put you with us.  And we put you in a diaper because mom understands that it’s not your fault if you pee your pants at church.  Okay?”

Elizabeth smiled and nodded.  “So… it’s… it’s really okay to have an accident?”

Ralph nodded and smiled.  “It really is, baby sis.  And if anyone makes fun of you, I’ll remind them that Jesus would be mad at them for being mean and not at you for having trouble.  Besides, I’m pretty sure some girls your age would just take you to find mom if they found out you had a little trouble.”

Before they knew it, they were at the church.

Ralph could see that though she asked questions, and though he tried to comfort her about it, she was still nervous about going in.

“Don’t worry.  The first hour, we sit together as a family, so you can look around at the different families and get sort of familiar with what people are like without being next to them at first.”

Elizabeth nodded though her hands were still shaking.

Ralph tugged at his mom’s sleeve.

“What is it?”

“Ellie.  She’s scared mom.  Maybe you could hold her?”

Kate smiled and reached down and picked her little girl up and kissed her side of her head.

Ralph was glad to see that mom was very careful about how she picked Ellie up, and that the diaper was almost completely hidden from view.

Before they even got to the doors of the church, many of their church friends and colleagues came to get a look at the newest member of the Williams family.

“That’s my little sister,” Ralph told any of the kids proudly that came for a look.  “Isn’t she cute?”

Ralph’s best friends, D’Angelo and Mark walked pointed his way as thought to ask him to sit with them, but when they saw his sister, Ralph got the feeling that they changed their mind as they stood there, not seeming to know what to say.

“This is Elizabeth,” Ralph told his friends.  “I call her Ellie, and she seems to like it.”

Elizabeth smiled down from her mom’s hip.  “And I call him, Ralph-y.”

“She’s the only one that gets away with it, though,” Ralph warned his friends.  “She’s my baby sister, so she’s allowed to call me a babyish nick name, but if you do it, I’ll ignore you until you get my name right.”

The friends laughed.  “Fair enough.”

Ralph and his friends followed Ralph’s family into the round church building, and in the room in the center of the building, but closer to one end, with no windows as it was in the center of the building, there was the main “Mass” area, as was close to a Mass area that poor Elizabeth could identify with.  But there were a lot of differences.

At the front of the Mass room, where the “Father” would usually conduct the meetings, she notice the podium was a few feet in front of Several chairs, centered on the main congregation.  To the left of the podium, as they looked up, she saw a side area with white sheets covering something, and two chairs behind that.  And to right of the podium, there was the church organ and two or three seats behind that.  All of this was actually slightly in back of the podium.  All these seats faced the main congregation.

Then, she noticed that directly behind the podium, nothing giving the men away as being more important than anyone else at church, but Ralph well knew that the Bishop, his church building leader, sat directly behind the podium with two counselors, one on each side of him.  Then to the right of the three of them, three other members sat, but these members were today’s speakers.

“This is different from Cassrick church,” she whispered where her mom put her down between herself and Ralph, to Ralph.

“Well, I think it’s a little different from a lot of churches,” Ralph told her with a smile.  “But it is the same in many ways, too.  We learn about Christ here, and we observe rites that remind us of promises we made to God.”

“Oh?” Elizabeth seemed very keen to learn how things worked in the new church. 

“You’ll see.  Shh… they’re starting.”

Ralph explained things to her when no one was talking at the front, and even during the passing of bread and water, when they were supposed to be silent and supposedly silently praying or trying to accept the spirit of God, he explained why they were passing the bread and that it was okay for her to partake, because even if she wasn’t baptized yet, she could start making promises to always remember Jesus and to keep his commandments.

After the passing of the bread and water, one of the church leaders told the church a few announcements that didn’t mean much to Ralph at the time, and then the speakers started speaking.

“Was that the way you do Mass?” Elizabeth asked Ralph.

“Well, you can call it Mass if you want, but we call it the Sacrament Meeting.  And yeah, three Sundays a month, we do it that way.”

“What about the fourth?”

“You have to experience it to really understand it.  You’ll see next month on the first Sunday of the month.”

She smiled and looked up at him.

“Now, we go to primary.  I need to ask dad, though.”

Ralph turned to Tom.  “Dad?”

“Yes, Ralph?”

“Did you get permission for me to take Ellie to Primary?”

“Oh, yeah, we need to do that.  Come on, I’ll come with you.”

The three of them went up to the Bishopric, the three leaders who were now standing around the main podium, but were probably trying to make their way down so they could go wherever it was they usually went for Sunday School.

“Excuse me, Bishop?  We have a request, if it’s alright.”

“Sure,” the Bishop was dressed in a black suit and white shirt.  “Do we need to go to my office?”

“Oh, no, it’s nothing like that,” Tom said.  “My son wants to stay with his new sister for the day, and he’s usually in the Deacon’s class.”

“Oh, I’m sure that won’t be a problem.  I’ll just drop by the primary on my way to let them know, and to let Ralph’s Sunday school teacher know where he is, too.”

“Thank you.”

“So, how have the Williams’s been?”

“Well, as you know, we just picked up our little girl yesterday.  Ralph and Elizabeth have been nearly in-separable since.  Ralph has to nearly be steered out of the room when we want to change Elizabeth,” he joked.

“Yeah, that was a bit of a shock to me, that a youngster like Ralph had any interest in adoption at all without the parents bringing it up.  And even more a shock to me when you said he chose a sister instead of a brother.”

“Well, you weren’t the only one, but I honestly don’t think Ralph even realizes the difference at this point.  Last night, I caught them playing around with his army men, and she does seem to like a lot of things that he likes.”

“I’m glad that she seems to be working out for you.”

About that time, that the conversation was nearly finished, they reached the primary classroom.

“Excuse me, Sister Baker?  We have a new addition to your class, and a visiting older brother who wants to make his little sister feel comfortable before leaving her on her own.  Maybe you can let him observe a few Sundays with his sister until she’s comfortable?”

The sister smiled and nodded.  “Of course.  The more, the Merrier, I always say.”

Church didn’t really go that badly for anyone, and when they got into the car, after church and after talking a bit to friends, Ralph immediately reached over and checked his sister.  She wasn’t even wet.

“You didn’t have to go during church?” he asked his little sister.

She shrugged and smiled.  “I do now, though, but I’m kind of nervous going in there.  I have a diaper on, and people might see it.”

Ralph smiled.

“You can try to hold it until we get home or wet your pull up.  It’s not that big a deal either way,” he told her.

She nodded and smiled.

“Church was really different from what I usually do in Cassrick church.”

“Oh?  Was our church boring?” he asked.

“Actually, I think Cassrick Church is boring.  This one, they keep asking you to do something most of it.”

Apparently the first hour had passed very quickly for her and she forgot she had to sit there for most of that meeting.  But then Primary did last two hours, and one hour, the teacher read to them and asked questions, and the second hour, they were coloring pictures, today of Jesus’s Sermon on the Mount.

When they arrived home, Ralph reached over and undid his sister’s seatbelt first.

“If you gotta pee, hurry to the bathroom, sis.  No point in wetting your pants if you are this close to a bathroom you feel safe in, right?”

She smiled and nodded as she hurried to open her door.

Dad went to the door to open it, and when he saw his baby girl holding herself, dancing around, he picked her up and carried her into the house.

“He’s probably taking her to the bathroom,” Ralph thought to himself.  “Daddies seem to get to take care of their little girls even more than brothers are allowed.”

Wait!  Was that jealousy?  Was he jealous that his dad could take his sister to the bathroom without it being bad, but he had been scolded the night before because his sister didn’t want to wear wet pants, and was showing her wet panties to him by accident?  He shook his head.  It wasn’t jealousy though, was it?  He just wanted to look after his sister.  He was just upset that he was scolded for helping her, right?

He shook his head and went into the house and sat down in the living room, opening his church books.  One of the rules of the house, was that on Sundays, they kept the television off until after six PM.  The parents wouldn’t mind him playing, but they did ask that he read at least one page from his church books first.

He started to read and then he saw his sister smiling and running over to sit down next to him.

“What are you reading?”

“Church stuff,” he said.  “Dad and mom have a rule that we read at least a page on Sunday, and we are not allowed to do anything with the television or computer, or even the iphone, except take calls because the call could be important or from the church.”

She frowned.  “What about playing?”

“We’re allowed to play,” he smiled up at her.  “But I gotta read this first.  You want to listen.  Maybe they will count it as you reading if you listen to me read it?”

She nodded.

Mom heard him and she came over and tapped her on the shoulder.  “If you and your brother want to study your church lesson together, that is more than alright with us, baby.”

Ralph smiled.

After they read the required page, Ralph put the book away and then took his little sister’s hand to take her out to the yard to get some sun.  He had a softball out there, probably on the picnic table, he knew.  He and his friends sometimes tossed it around.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Ishigreensa changed the title to Can We Adopt added Chapter 3
41 minutes ago, Ishigreensa said:

@ Drownedinp:

Guilty!

You too?

41 minutes ago, Ishigreensa said:

@ Drownedinp:

Guilty!

You too?

Yep. Grew up in Utah.

I was introduced to it when I was in high school.

I honestly think it is the true one, but....  I won't press on with that here.  We are not a church site.  

Do you know they've changed it recently, the way it works?  I won't go into details if you don't know, as like I said, it's not a church site, but I think it helps a story along when we talk about the family's beliefs and stuff.  And yeah, I was going to keep the name of the church out of it so as not to cross and blur the purpose of this site and the church... but well, you brought it up.

:)

And I'm more used to the way it worked before, so the story is keeping with that for now.

I like the way the story is going, I was a worried at first when they keep calling her a baby but thinking of the time she has been in foster care and being mistreated I think a little regression might be good for her and help her heal from the past abuse.

I'm working on Chapter 4, but with work, I don't always have time to get to it, especially when I feel like I need to answer my RPs first, and I am also trying to make the next chapter fit.  I've already had to restart it three times because as it was started, it didn't make sense with what had already happened when I reread it.

I'm working on it.

Can We Adopt Her?

Characters:

Chapter Four: Sunday Afternoon

Ralph and Elizabeth threw the softball to each other for a while before Elizabeth started to get a little devious and threw it very low on purpose to test Ralph.  Not expecting it, it went right through Ralph’s legs, and Elizabeth laughed.

“Oh, playing rough, eh?” Ralph asked as watched the ball fly past his hands before he could get the ball.  “Are you sure you want to play that way?”

Elizabeth frowned.  “I didn’t throw it over your head.  You still could have caught it.”

Ralph smiled.  “Maybe….”

He went to the fence where the ball came to a rest and he picked it up.  “But that was still a cheap shot,” he said.  “You didn’t say any…” he threw the ball “…warning at all.”

The ball went right for the space over her left shoulder, but she quickly reacted, backing up and getting in place just in time to catch it.

“I knew you were going to do something like that,” she said.  “Try this one!”

She threw the ball way up in the air, but it landed like five feet in front of Ralph, well, five of Ralph’s steps anyway, and he caught it like a champ.

“Oh, really,” he smiled at her.  “Not over my head, ey?”

She gulped.

Ralph threw the ball towards her with a funny spin to it, and she thought she was in position to catch it, but as Ralph knew it was his drop ball, it actually seemed to curve on her and drop a foot short of where she predicted causing her to miss it.

“Hey!” she complained, but the pout was ruined by the laughter in her voice.

That girl had an arm on her, and more than twice, he was surprised at the sting he felt in his hand catching one of her harder throws.  On the other hand, he was afraid of hurting her, so he didn’t throw any fast hard balls, but rather just threw throws that were meant to be tricky to catch.

Nearly half an hour of throwing the ball that way, brought dad outside.

“You two look like you are having all the fun,” he said.  “Mind if I join you?”

“Alright, but watch out for Ellie,” Ralph warned.  “She can really throw them, and she gets bored just tossing the apple to one another.”

Tom nodded and smiled.

“She’s just a healthy kid,” he said shrugging off Ralph’s warning.  “I don’t know any younger kid that doesn’t test their older brother or their dad once in a while when they are playing catch.”

Elizabeth smiled and looked down.

However, as dad started to throw the ball with them, Ralph noticed a big change in how she was throwing the ball.  All of her throws suddenly became predictable and easy to catch whether they were towards Tom or Ralph.

“Sis?  What’s wrong?  Are you tired?”

She shook her head no.  But Ralph could see that something was definitely different in her play.

“Dad, she was definitely having a lot more fun than she is now,” he said concerned that something was wrong.

Tom nodded and waved at both the children to come over to him.

“Elizabeth, sweetie, what’s wrong?” Tom asked her.

“No… no… nothing?” she stammered.

“Sweetie, I came out to have fun with my children.  You don’t have to be scared, and you are allowed to have fun, sweetheart.”

“I… I’m having fun,” she said twiddling her thumbs and looking down at the ground.

Tom sighed.  “You know what?  I forgot to check that her room was ready.  You two go ahead and play.”

But even after dad left the two youngsters to play, Ralph could see that she was not in the same mood she had been before dad had come out.

“Ellie?  Dad wouldn’t be mad if you threw the ball so it was hard to catch.  He likes a challenge sometimes.”

She looked down.  “Did I mess it up?”

Ralph shook his head at her and came and put an arm around her.

“You didn’t mess anything up,” he told her.  “You’re just learning what works around here, baby sis.  Don’t worry.  We’ll be patient while you get your bearings, okay?”

“Bearings?” she asked looking up at him.  “What means bearings?”

“It means, knowing where you are and where you are going, literally, but it can also mean getting used to a place.”

“Oh.  So get my bearings means get used to this place?”

“That’s right,” Ralph smiled and bent down to hug her.  “You’ve had a lot of different hard places to live, haven’t you?”

She nodded.  “Since my mom died, I lived in so many places, I lost count.  Everyone was… well, not my mom.”

“They were mean to you,” Ralph told her bluntly.  “That’s why you were put up for adoption again.  The people that are trying to help you found out and took you away from mean people again.”

She nodded.  Then she reached and hugged him, and as she did he felt her body freeze.

He looked down at her, her shoulders trembling, her face had a look as though her hand was in the cookie jar, and then he heard it.  Water didn’t quietly seep into her pants, but rather poured with a very distinct sound.

He backed up a bit, and he saw her pants getting darker and darker, and her eyes teared up.

He rushed forward again and picked her up in a hug and kissed her face.

“It’s okay, baby sis.  It’s okay.  I promise.  You are okay, here, honey.”

She stood there, for several moments, for he couldn’t really pick her up like mom or dad could.  He was only twelve years old after all, so he only lifted her up a moment in a hug and then had to let her down, but he still hugged her.

When she seemed to have finished, and he felt her starting to get heavy like she was about to drop to her knees in shame, he held her fast.

“It’s okay, Ellie, I promise.  It’s okay.  You don’t have to be scared, little sis.”

She looked up at him, tears in her eyes, and her body shaking.  Ralph tried to lift her up again, and he started to carry her.

“No.  Please don’t get me in trouble?  Don’t tell mommy I wet?  Please?”

Ralph put her down and he kissed her nose.  Actually, he had no choice but put her down for a minute anyway because she was kind of heavy.

“Mommy won’t be mad, Ellie.  I promise.  No one is going to spank your or anything else just because you peed.  It’s not your fault, sis.”

“But… I’m too old to….”

“You ARE too old to pee your pants,” Ralph nodded at her.  “But not because you should get spanked or because it is a bad thing to do,” he touched her nose and sat down with her when she went to her knees.  “You are too old because it embarrasses you, and because you know, in your being that it’s something you don’t want to do,” he told her.  “It’s not hurting anyone to pee your pants, as long as you get changed quickly after it happens, and as long as you try to clean up any messes caused by wetting your pants indoors, then you are not causing anyone else any trouble.  It’s not bad to wet your pants, baby sis.”

She looked into his green eyes with her solid brown ones.

“Honest?  It’s not being a bad and dirty girl to pee my pants?”

“It is kind of dirty,” he said.  “But since you are not doing it on purpose, no, it doesn’t make you a dirty girl.  It makes you an unsure girl who needs to learn to feel safe.”

He hugged her.

Next thing he knew, he was pulling her into his lap and letting her sit there, even though she was soaked.

“You are my little sister,” Ralph told her.  “You are not the first ten year old to ever pee her pants, even all the time, and you won’t be the last.  You are having problems, baby sis, but when we figure them out, then your problems will get better, and little by little, you will stop peeing your pants.”

“Really?” she asked looking into his eyes again as though she searched for truth and understanding in them.

“Really,” Ralph nodded.  “I promise.  And I will help you anyway I can to get more confident and to feel more safe so you can start going in the potty more often, okay?”

“I’m not a baby, am I?”

“No…,” Ralph smiled and touched her nose.  “There is no way a baby can throw a ball like you can.”

He tickled her causing her to laugh.  He didn’t realize it, but she had actually tried not to pee, so she still had a little that got held onto, until he tickled her, and then he felt his pants get wet under her.

Ralph didn’t even blink when she peed on him.  It was so little compared to what was already all over her pants, and what had already soaked into his pants, that it really wasn’t worth mentioning to her.

“Will you come in the house and let me get mom to help you change your pants?” he asked her.  “I promise mom won’t be mad or anything.  She’ll just want to make sure you are okay.”

Elizabeth finally nodded.

“Can you come with me, though?  I… I feel better with you with me.”

He smiled and nodded.  “I’ll stay with you as much as I can,” he promised.  “You’re my little sister.”

She nodded and they walked into the house hand in hand.

When Kate saw Ralph and Elizabeth walk into the living room hand in hand, and little Elizabeth’s pants still dripping from having completely wet herself, she smiled and got up from the sofa she was sitting in.

“Did we have a little accident,” she looked at both the children’s pants.

“Well, little sis got kind of nervous about coming in to tell you she wet, so I had to… um… comfort her, and she peed on me.”

“I’m sorry,” Elizabeth looked down.  “I didn’t mean it.”

Ralph felt her starting to shake again as they were still holding hands.

“It’s okay, Ellie, honey,” Kate sort of liked Ralph’s nickname for her.  “It’s not that big a deal, baby.  We just need to get you kids out of those wet clothes is all.  How about you come with mommy and Ralph, you go to your room to change?”

“I want my brother,” she shook her head.  “I want Ralph to come with.”

“Honey, your brother is… well, he is your brother, baby.  He shouldn’t watch you change your pants or get naked in anyway.”

“But….  Please?”

Kate frowned.  “You’re sure you want Ralph to come and watch you change your pants?” she wondered.  “It’s not something a normal sister wants.”

“Um….  I’m sorry,” she hung her head.

Ralph looked up at his mom.  “I could just come to the door, and you can leave it open, but I can look the other way, and that way, I’ll be there for her if she gets scared, and she can still be decent since you are helping her and not me?”

Kate sighed.  “I guess, just this once, it won’t hurt.  But you need to give me your word, you don’t turn around and look at your sister until I have her decent and say it’s okay to look,” Kate told her son.

“Deal,” Ralph said.  “Okay, Ellie?”

“Okay.”

Ralph walked with his little sister hand in hand to her room, and he released her hand and kissed her cheek.  “It’s okay.  I promise.  Mommy just wants to make sure you are comfortable and healthy.  She won’t hurt you, sis.”

“I… I know,” she looked down.  “It’s just….  I feel I know you more than I know her because you wrote to me a lot and I barely met your mom.”

He nodded.

He heard mom pick her up and carry her into her room as he turned his back to the door.

“I’m sorry I peed my pants again, mommy.”

“Honey, there is nothing to be sorry about,” Kate responded in her motherly tone.  Ralph wasn’t sure, but he imagined she must be holding and rocking little Ellie about then.  Surely, before mom could start with her clothes, she had to make sure the little girl was calm first.

Ralph heard his mom put Ellie on the bed as it squeaked a bit, and then he could hear her talking as she changed his little sister.

“You are a good girl, Ellie,” his mom told Elizabeth in a soothing tone.  “I’m proud of you coming to get your brother to take you to come and get help when you are in trouble.”

He smiled.

“Your brother cares about you, sweetheart, and so does your mommy and daddy.  We will never ever be mad at you if you come to us with a problem like this.  We just need to clean you up when you are wet like this, okay?”

There was a bit of a silence, and then….

“Good girl, Ellie.  Now, let mommy get something to wipe you off with.”

He heard a package tear open, and then there was the sound of something coming out of a box, kind of like if you pull several kleen nexes out of a box in rapid succession.

There was a bit of giggling, and then a little patting on his sister’s bare leg.  It was obviously patting because his sister didn’t cry or scream out.

“There, now, little Ellie’s clean down there, isn’t she?”

Ralph imagined his mom must have just cleaned her off because of what was said.  He wondered about it, and felt his head starting to shift with curiosity, but he promised, so he forced his head to look straight again.

“Honey, can mommy put you in a diaper this time?” he heard his mom ask his little sister permission.  “It’s just you are having a really hard time, and a diaper sort of gives you permission to wet your pants, honey.  That’s what it’s meant for, you know?  So you won’t have to worry so much about it.”

He didn’t hear the answer, but he heard the wrinkling of the diaper being spread out, so his sister must have agreed.  There was no sign that she had intended on fighting it, anyway.

The tapes were pulled out and he heard the wrinkles and the taping as his mom adjusted the diaper on her, and then stood her up, he imagined.

“Okay, let’s see what is decent that will fit over your diaper,” Kate said.

Ralph smiled.

“Here we are,” he heard his mom say.  “A skirt is the easiest thing to fit over a diaper, and don’t worry if your brother accidentally sees.  A diaper is thick, so I’m not worried about him looking at your privates, baby.  The diaper is just so you don’t get everything wet, and the skirt is so if we have company, no one else will see you in a diaper, okay?”

Ralph wished he could see his sister’s expression.

“Oh, you can turn around, Ralph,” Kate told him.  “Your sister is in a diaper, and I dare say you will see her in a diaper often enough that I’m not that worried about that.”

He turned and saw his mom dragging a pretty princess skirt up his sister’s legs.

He looked at her soaked pants on the floor.

“It’s okay if baby sister pees her pants, right?” he asked Kate.

“Of course, Ralph.  That’s why I’m putting her in a diaper, so she knows she has permission not to make it to the bathroom.  Besides, it is almost time for dinner, and then baths and bed, so it’s really not too early to put her in a diaper anyway.”

Ralph smiled at Elizabeth.

“See?  It’s okay to pee your pants, sis,” he whispered to her.

She nodded.

Kate finished fixing her skirt, and then she picked the little girl up and kissed her cheek.

“If you want to use the bathroom, come and get me, and I’ll help you get the diaper off so you can go, okay?  If you accidentally wet, then either get me or your daddy and we’ll change you, baby.”

Elizabeth nodded and smiled.  “Okay.”

With that, she put her nine year old baby back down and patted her bottom.

“Go play until dinner is ready, but it’s getting too dark to go outside, so play in your rooms, okay?”

“Want to finish our soldier’s game?” Ralph asked.

The dark hair girl nodded her head and beamed a bright shiny eyed smile at him.  “Okay!”

• Like 1
  • Ishigreensa changed the title to Can We Adopt added Chapter 4

Elizabeth is nine going to be ten soon.  I think each chapter as the age and the birthday of each character at the top of the chapters.

I found the reason for the confusion.  Ralph misspoke when he talked about her wetting her pants and called her a ten year old, but she IS nine.  Sorry about that.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been distracted and can't seem to get Chapter 5 to flow yet, but I'm not giving up on it.  It's just taking longer than I thought it would.