LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Diaper Size Concern

dlsafrica

Okay -- so I lost a lot of weight recently... plus last month when I tried that diaper brand that I absolutely hated from the outset, medium seemed to be the right size for me. I was just wondering -- does size make a big difference? If a normally medium size person were to wear a large size diaper, would the experience not be as effective? This was actually an  issue I faced today, but I went with the medium because it has served well in the past.

I can not fit into a medium diaper.  Large for the most part fits me fine but in many store type brands I can wear x-large with no problem.  Remember that with store brands they work good for about 3 hours or so and therefore x-large will do a good job and usually come up higher in front and back even if I have to tape the tapes farther in front.  I can sometimes not get a real tight seal around the legs but that has never been a problem and the x-large are comfortable.  When I pay an average of $3 for a package at Goodwill, I won't complain.  When I order premium diapers, I always order size large.  Only the Confidry 24/7 seem to fit a bit differently but others have said that as well.  

If you read the waist sizes on the diaper packages, you would think that with my 34-inch waist, I'd fit into mediums across the board.    Alas, this isn't true.  There are very few diapers where I don't have to wear a large.  (There are a few like dry247 and some of the AB-printed diapers that I can wear a medium).

If you wear a diaper that's too small, it's pretty obvious.   You don't get much (if any) overlap from back to front.

If you wear a diaper that's too large, you may not be able to do it up without it gapping at the legs.

No standardization on sizing has always irritated me.  Measuring the backsheets' overall width does not equate to the maximum waist or hip size  that it will fit, but that's now the vast majority of manufacturers decide how it will fit.   So (comparing to  WillNotWill's example) being a bit overweight (slowly working on that!) with a 44 inch waist, you'd think I'd be able to fit into any size large out there that says fits up to a 48" waist.  NOT!  I'd be lucky to get the lower tapes actually fastened onto plastic - usually just barely.   That doesn't even take into account the front/rear rise is totally inadequate then as well.   Some larges do fit (usually say 50-52" max), but frequently still find their fit less than satisfying.  So I have to go to XLs to get the fit I want. 

Quite frankly, there needs to be more than just 2 or 3 sizes.  Adults vary far too widely in all shapes to make "1 size fits all" type products.   The industry recognized this for babies (even considering that babies are fairly consistent in size at a given age/weight) and went from 2 sizes, to 3, to 4, then 5, and finally out to 6 or 7 (of course, it could have also be one of the biggest marketing "scams" ever on parents).  Unfortunately, I just don't ever see it happening.

Kat has part of this- the other part is our shapes. Yeah, there is no "one size fits all". That is sheer nonsense. The other part, as many of our more experienced can attest, is that our shapes matter too. I do fit into Regular, Large and occasionally XL. The big issue is how these are cut. How the cuffs fit around my legs, how the back hugs my butt (or doesn't) and how far up the padding comes. 

Cloth diapers and rubber pants are easiest to fit correctly, but they have other issues. At least for me anyhow.