LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Just wondering if anyone has been diagnosed with IBS? I am thinking I might have it, but havent been to a doctor to confirm. I was just wondering what the symptoms are, and how you deal with it? I am continent for the most part except when my stomach throws that temper tantrum :whistling: Mostly my BMs are normal, but like I said every once in a while I get the quickstep, to the point where if I am not in a restroom in 5 mins, its too late. Now given my job as an OTR(Over The Road) Trucker that can be difficult. Also could be contributed to the food at some truck stops as they are a bit less than satisfactory.

Anyway was just wondering what yalls thoughts were on this. Thanks in advance.

I have IBS as well as urinary incontinence. The diginosis of IBS is mainly based on ruling everything else out. I have found that eating out especially at fast food placed makes my tummy act up a lot offen giving me an uncontrolablly messy diaper well before I can get home, but I guess that's what they were made for. I would see a doctor and there are some medication that can help with it in the short term, that and dietary changes usually work the best. :)

Have you considered that it may be some kind of food intolerance? (which is something quite different from a food allergy) The symptoms can be indistinguishable from IBS.

I have exactly those symptoms except that I know what my trigger is. Keep certain ingredients out of my diet (which is a huge PIA but worth it) and I no longer have those moments when your gut screams "NOW!" (unless I slip up :whistling:)

Gluten (wheat, barley, rye, oats; aka Coeliac disease), lactose (dairy) and MSG (fast food and processed food is bad for this) are the more common intolerances but it can be just about anything which is why they're hard to pin down - my doctor was next to useless. The easiest way to work out what causes these things is to think analytically after the event about what you ate recently and what it contained and try and see if you can notice a pattern over time. Then remove the suspect from your diet on a trial basis and see if things improve.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/conditions/foo...olerance1.shtml

Yep. I've got it. For me it usually starts with an hour or two of very painful stomach cramps, followed by a few episodes of diarrhea, then I'm fine. It usually doesn't cause fecal incontinence. The only time I'm fecally incontinent is when I have diarrhea that is caused by something other than IBS, such as a stomach virus. What I can't figure out is how my body knows the difference between IBS diarrhea, which I can control, and stomach virus diarrhea, which I sometimes can't. Puzzling.

buted to the food at some truck stops as they are a bit less than satisfactory.

After an episode of continuing gut pain, and having my Dr look through both my upper and lower gut, they wired a tag with the words "IBS" on my gut. Every so often, the wire gets too tight, lol! At the time, they said that what it meant was that clearly, something was wrong (my gut hurt from time to time, often in response to stress) but they didn't know what it was, exactly.

My prescribed treatment has three components: dicyclomine (bentyl), gatorade (a quart a day), and metamucil. The gatorade is because the gut is a muscle, the fiber to keep things moving, and the dicyclomine so my gut doesn't hurt when things don't move quite the way my gut thinks they should. I also have to eat a pretty fair amount of fruits and vegetables.

I have also discovered that peppermints are quite helpful; this is the "natural" route -- but the problem is that peppermint patties tend to be fairly high calorie. Peppermint tea also works, especially going into a high-stress situation. (I also got sent to a "mindfulness-based stress reduction" class -- in and of itself a good thing)

Definitely consult with a Dr on your issue. And I'll agree with the others here: there may be some food you just don't tolerate, or maybe just certain greasy spoons. I'd add to that that I have heard many complain they can't eat at Taco Bell -- the problem is they aren't used to the fiber in the beans. I'd suggest that you follow the standard dietary recommendations here: eat more fresh fruit and vegetables, which have lots of fiber and vitamins. It's hard to get a good diet from most restaurants.

Dill Pickle

After an episode of continuing gut pain, and having my Dr look through both my upper and lower gut, they wired a tag with the words "IBS" on my gut. Every so often, the wire gets too tight, lol! At the time, they said that what it meant was that clearly, something was wrong (my gut hurt from time to time, often in response to stress) but they didn't know what it was, exactly.

My prescribed treatment has three components: dicyclomine (bentyl), gatorade (a quart a day), and metamucil. The gatorade is because the gut is a muscle, the fiber to keep things moving, and the dicyclomine so my gut doesn't hurt when things don't move quite the way my gut thinks they should. I also have to eat a pretty fair amount of fruits and vegetables.

I have also discovered that peppermints are quite helpful; this is the "natural" route -- but the problem is that peppermint patties tend to be fairly high calorie. Peppermint tea also works, especially going into a high-stress situation. (I also got sent to a "mindfulness-based stress reduction" class -- in and of itself a good thing)

Definitely consult with a Dr on your issue. And I'll agree with the others here: there may be some food you just don't tolerate, or maybe just certain greasy spoons. I'd add to that that I have heard many complain they can't eat at Taco Bell -- the problem is they aren't used to the fiber in the beans. I'd suggest that you follow the standard dietary recommendations here: eat more fresh fruit and vegetables, which have lots of fiber and vitamins. It's hard to get a good diet from most restaurants.

Dill Pickle

Try eating altoids... it has worked for me...

my doc has me on Pamine now since I switched from NuLev(abnormal side effects)

I struggled with problems for years,need to go to bathroom very quicly or you know the embarrasment.. Tested from one end to the next not to fun,all blamed on IBS. On many meds from ones that you had to sign your life away pretty much to the typical immodium ad,nu levs,pamines,hyosymine,I also had my gall bladder removed so they also blamed it on that in the beggining. I was on this powder that could make you choke. I was tested for the glutin allergy-celiacs disease, it came out positive in my blood but since I was a little over weight the DR said no way cant be. So he continued to keep me on the meds. My BP was up ,my eyes dialated I had dry mouth so badley. After 5 years and the meds were not working I saw a NP for another prob at my reg MD. She said just try the glutin free diet. Its hard but just see if it works. I did try it and it was a miracle after 3 weeks I was off all medicine. I felt so much better and my urges to go went to pretty much non.I actually lost some weight cause my body was functioning properly and getting the vitamins it needed. Yes if I do cheat or get stressed I do have the problems arise. and the pain comes back. Bur I know I do it to myself. It is tough and very stressfull. I dont wear for need, I wear for fun and sometimes I wish when I had these gotto to go moments I just had one for security even if it didnt mean useing it.

• 4 years later...

I have had IBS for years and found some success with a lactose free diet and no stone fruits. I also wear pull ups when I go out and if going on along trip make sue I empty my bowel first even if it means taking an enema. I also carry an emergency bag with spare pants and pull ups and baby wipes and spare toilet paper just in case the stall has run out plus plastic bags to put pull ups in if necessary.

At one time I had a list of foods, in the order of prevalence that were common problems.

Can't find the list, and my web searches have come up dry. Anyone know of such a list?

Thanks

High yeast is DEFINATLY a problem for me. Everytime I had things like marmite, I've always had IBS related issues, usually very severe intensine/bowel area cramps.

I just posted this is another thread, about three up from this, but will copy and paste it here....

I had awful IBS from the time i was around 18 until 26..... to the point we would have to pull the car over and i would be going IN THE WOODS!!!! it was so bad..... got to the point a 5 mile ride to work i would have to stop TWICE to use the bathroom.

Finally i found a dr who didn't just say "ohh lose weight and it will go away" because IBS isn't just about weight or diet.... I had cut all dairy out of my diet for two months, still had all the symptoms, i cut all meat out of my diet for two months, still all the symptoms, i pretty much tried every thing imaginable, including high and low fiber diets, the activia yogurt, even did two months of drinking apple cider vinegar mixed with water.... nothing, nothing worked.

My PCP sent me to a GI dr, who of course did all the tests imaginable to rule out other disorders and when she could find nothing, I was diagnosed with IBS. My GI dr told me how many people find that a low dose of an SSRI (an anti depresent) and by low dosse i mean what would be considered sub therpeutic if you were taking it for depression, but this low dose is enough to balance the seratonin receptors found in the GI tract. My GI told me that while many people automatically attribute seratonin to the brain, there are a large majority of the receptors in the GI tract. By taking this sub therpeutic level, I have been free from being tied to the toilet for two years now.

I do still get very bad abdominal pains, but again my GI prescribed a sublingual medication ( a pill that disolves under my tongue) that works within minutes to stop the pains.

For the past two years I have been able to travel, to go on weekend trips, to eat out, without having to take 10-15 anti diarrheal pills a day, or having to stop at every single bathroom imaginable.

While there are so many different causes of IBS and as we all know what works for one, may not work for another, it may be worth talking with your GI dr about trying it. The medication I was started on was Imipramine i started at 25 mg a day to start and then moved it to 50 mgs a day. Thats all it took, one little green pill and i've been symptom free for two years!!!!

I mean yes i still get occasionally diarrhea, like if i eat mexican or chineese buffet, etc.... but we are talking like 2-3 times a year for maybe half a day!!! imagine that!!!!!

• 4 weeks later...

I was diagnosed with IBS as a child after numerous tests that were inconclusive. It caused fecal incontinence in me for the longest time so I potty trained very late as a result. My mom's answer was to keep me in diapers until I could gain better control coupled with a change in diet away from rich foods, milk, etc. Even after I was potty trained, I would go back in diapers during the times my IBS flared up bad as a child. My mom would diaper me and keep me home from school until it settled down. As I got older I learned to manage my IBS with the diet and to learn my body's signals when my IBS would flare up.

• 2 months later...

I started another thread on this topic, but I thought I'd check in here as well. So I don't mean to threadjack :)

Just wanted to say I'm also headed in for a scoping in about 2 weeks. I'm also a bit apprehensive about the whole ordeal, but I'm sure it will be worth it to make sure I'm ok on the inside.

I've spoken with my family and they've been pretty reassuring and supportive about it, so I'm feeling a little better and more optimistic.

I'll let you all know how it goes, if you want. This whole thing sucks, I hope I find some decent relief soon. Hoping for the best for you as well, diaperedtrucker.

just got scoped it was not to bad. Think the worse part was drinking the golylte to prep you the day before. Past that it was easy. Think this is the last test for me and then my new doctor will agree with my other army doctor.

Good luck with your date with the scope.