LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

24/7 startups, and unexpected pitfalls?

I've been 24/7 for just about 4 months now. It's great, mostly.

For reference, I'm male, 6ft, and not super overweight.

I wear Northshore Supremes 99% of the time. I just ordered a case of megamaxes, we'll see how they go. I started with Supreme lites, but they sometimes didn't make it through a day even if I changed at lunch.

I live alone in a studio apartment, and rarely have anyone over, so when I get home all my clothes come off and it's just me and the diaper most of the time.

My normal day consists of me waking up, taking a shower, and putting a new diaper on afterwards. I go to work at my office job, and get on lunch about 4 hours later. I live like 5 minutes from work, so I sometimes come home and undress for an hour. Depending on how used my diaper is, I will change late as possible, to get as much use out of the diaper as possible.

If my diaper is still pretty dry, I keep it on. Sometimes I drink so little my diaper lasts through the whole day. Usually though I have to change between 2 and 3pm. It's not soaking wet but I always want to change it before it's leaking. No chances. I carry a little tablet case in my backpack, with a fresh diaper, a few wipes, and a bag. I bring that into the bathroom, which is right behind my office, though 2 or 3 coworkers can see me carry this bag. If anyone ever asks I'll maybe just say it's some fancy toilet wipes. It feels awkward if I leave the bathroom with the bag.

I'm lucky to have two private bathrooms that each have garbage cans right there. So if I lose my job and work someplace else I may have to stop being 24/7, though I am already this far.

Usually this second diaper lasts me until early or late evening, at which point I change. I try to make my evening diaper change as late as possible, so I don't have a full diaper in bed, which has happened too many times.

I've also visited friends and family, as well as gone to two conventions diapered. It's a little annoying but very doable.

When visiting my friends, I always change either when I leave the house or when get near their home. This diaper lasts me a while, and if it's a long meetup, I'll make some excuse to leave for a little bit to go to a gas station or something to change at. Same for visiting my parents. Though, if they have a private enough area, or are asleep(I've visited my friends overnight a few times) I go to a room as far from them as possible and change as quietly as possible.

At conventions, I work on staff, and have to share a room with normal people. This can be hard or not so hard. I hope for a roommate who isn't in the room much, but if I do, I change in the bathroom in the lobby or convention areas. I sleep with briefs over my diaper to mask the sound, and take my pants off under the sheets, and back on in the morning.

My biggest problem I'd say is inconvenient changing times, when I know this is the last chance I have to change in a while, but my diaper isn't wet enough. Most of the time I do it anyways, but it feels wasteful. Also, when I have to change knowing I will need to change in a short amount of time.(like if I wake up in the middle of the night with a soaked diaper) Sometimes I can slide the diaper off and put it back on again, but usually I don't want to leave with a used diaper either.

I haven't really lost any control over my bladder, and though it has gotten easier, I still struggle to pee often. Many times I have to sit up in the middle of the night to wet. I've heard water helps with this, and I drunk a lot today and it seems to have. I pee in diapers 99.99% of the time, and will poop in my diapers most of the time too. Probably only in the toilet once or twice a month.

Heck, I looked in my toilet a few months ago and it had gotten dirty from disuse.

I would love to become diaper dependent, at least at night. Mostly so I don't have to bother doing it, and so it'll be in shorter bursts. I've heard you should drink a ton of water before going to bed to help with this.

I try to drink water, but I also drink diet mountain dew, and diet sprite. Probably shouldn't.

Anyways, I'm a little suprised how easy this was. I only spend about $100-$150 a month of diapers. I could probably spend less if I wore generics at home.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, nerfbrony said:

My biggest problem I'd say is inconvenient changing times, when I know this is the last chance I have to change in a while, but my diaper isn't wet enough. Most of the time I do it anyways, but it feels wasteful. Also, when I have to change knowing I will need to change in a short amount of time.(like if I wake up in the middle of the night with a soaked diaper) Sometimes I can slide the diaper off and put it back on again, but usually I don't want to leave with a used diaper either.

I would say that I agree with this completely - @oznl has solved this by wearing terry-lined plastic pants pretty much all the time, which enables him to push his diapers (he'd prefer nappies) closer to their limits. I have experimented with plastic pants but with my current wardrobe, wearing them out of the house feels conspicuous, so my experience mirrors yours, with respect to sometimes changing a diaper that I know has not reached capacity, because I won't have an opportunity later, and I can't take chances with leaks. I am of average height and let's say a "stout" build - not really overweight, but, I have never fit into the charts that state what your weight for a given height should be. I would wear a medium in most diapers by waist size, but I have large legs, so I usually have to go with a large, which limits what I can wear out in public to a couple of slimmer options. 

I'm lucky in that I work from home most of the time, and when I am visiting clients, with rare exceptions, I'm only there for a couple of hours at a time. My spouse knows that I wear diapers; I haven't expressly said that I wear them all the time, but I haven't gone to great lengths to hide it, either. Currently, the only time I'm not in a diaper is when I'm at the gym - I haven't found any that can stand up to prolonged running and martial arts. I have been 24/7 since the end of March of this year; prior to that, I wore diapers to bed for about two years.

I can wear bulkier diapers to bed, and often I can wear them for most of the day, only switching to something less conspicuous when the kids are home from school, until they go to bed, and, whenever I am out of the house. A bigger diaper, such as say, a Bambino Classico or a Better-Dry or a Rearz Barnyard, might last most of a day, so long as I don't have to leave the house or interact with my kids. But since days like that are rare, the way I usually operate is like this: I wear a bigger diaper to bed, and in the morning it is often only at maybe 25% capacity. My kids get up early and are old enough to take care of themselves, so I will go into my office and come down just when they are leaving, to say goodbye - I have a larger pair of jeans that I throw on expressly for that purpose. I also wear those jeans when I walk the dog late at night, at which point I probably have a larger bedtime diaper on as well. 

After the kids leave, I can ditch the big jeans, and walk around in a diaper and a sweater or t-shirt, but if I have to go down and spend extended time talking to my wife, out of respect for her, I'll pull on some shorts or athletic pants, but it's obvious I have a diaper on. I'll work from my office until my night diaper needs a change, probably lunch to mid-afternoon, depending on the brand. At that point I'll switch to my go-do quiet, slim-fitting daytime diaper so that I'm prepared for when the kids get home, and to drive them to their activities, etc. The smaller diapers are only good for maybe 6 hours, sometimes less, if I want to be on the safe side. So, in a typical 24-hour period, I would wear one larger diaper for 12 - 14 hours, and then two smaller diapers for 4 - 6 hours each. If it's a day where I have to hop out of bed and go somewhere right away, then I will regretfully toss my under-used plush comfy overnight diaper, put on a slim one, and pack a couple more for changes at lunch and again around dinner. If I am getting up really early, and I know that it would be a waste to wear a large diaper to bed, I'll wear a slim one under plastic pants.

I have also had your experience of being in a really wet diaper, but the timing for changing it is off - if I swapped it for a new one, I'd only wet that one a couple of times before it would be prudent to put a fresh one on again - say, before a flight or something. BUT, if I stay in the sopping wet diaper, I am probably going to experience a catastrophic containment failure. Sometimes if I'm at home I'll just sit on a change pad and delay getting changed, but if I am out, that's not an option. 

14 hours ago, Little Sherri said:

@oznl has solved this by wearing terry-lined plastic pants pretty much all the time, which enables him to push his diapers (he'd prefer nappies) closer to their limits.

Not quite.  I *do* wear plastic pants pretty much all of the time but the terry-lined ones are only in bed where bulk is less of a problem and leaks are more of a problem.

During the day I will usually just wear Gary PUL waterproofs over my diaper (managing minor leaks) and some kind of compression pant over everything (managing noise and bulging).  With this system, a BetterDry 24/7 can last me all day at work if I have to although I'll be pretty wet when I get home.

Early on I did experiment with terry-lined plastic pants during the day but they can be hot and a bit bulky.

On 11/26/2019 at 9:54 AM, nerfbrony said:

I've been 24/7 for just about 4 months now. It's great, mostly.

If you don't mind the question, what were you looking for in this and did you find it?

On 11/26/2019 at 9:54 AM, nerfbrony said:

I would love to become diaper dependent, at least at night. Mostly so I don't have to bother doing it, and so it'll be in shorter bursts. I've heard you should drink a ton of water before going to bed to help with this.

I'm not sure I ever really set out to do this but at this point, it seems to be happening anyway.  For me at least, it's been more of an omission than an act:  I cannot recall in the morning how my diaper got as wet as it is.  It started out quite rarely but it did occur to me this morning that this is now quite a regular thing and I can't clearly recall a tipping point.

It's definitely material fact now that I pee quite frequently in small amounts.  I don't think this is to do with drinking a ton of water as much as a long time of never allowing any pee to store up in any volume (at least deliberately) at any time of the day or night.  On nights where I CAN recall, I think I generally wet a little around 3 - 4 times during the night.  A lot of this stuff is only obvious in retrospect which is a bit of a warning.

I'm going to say what others may have already said: think carefully about what dependency might mean for you in the long term.  I'm frankly not 100% comfortable with the idea and I'm pushing 55.  It just seems that I'm at least 80% ok with it and so I've made no effort to stop ?  There is a kind of decadent luxury of waking up with an empty bladder and not immediately thinking "OMG!  I need to leap out of bed and run to a bathroom!"...

On 11/27/2019 at 3:29 AM, oznl said:

I'm not sure I ever really set out to do this but at this point, it seems to be happening anyway.  For me at least, it's been more of an omission than an act:  I cannot recall in the morning how my diaper got as wet as it is.  It started out quite rarely but it did occur to me this morning that this is now quite a regular thing and I can't clearly recall a tipping point.

I would say that this is happening for me relatively rarely, but, that said, apparently with increased frequency, although the sample size is so small that statistical significance would be hard to achieve. I've gone from maybe one incident a year where I woke up in a wet diaper that I had no recollection of having wet, over the two years before I was wearing 24/7, to having had maybe 3 incidents in my 8 months of 24/7, where I went to bed in a dry diaper and woke up at some point in a wet one, and as far as I know, I didn't consciously do it. 

To @oznl's point about being careful what you wish for, I attended a convention a few weekends ago where I shared a hotel room with an acquaintance, which is a rare occurrence for me these days - I usually book my own travel and I pretty much always get my own room, unless I am sharing one with my wife. We eventually ended up in a 2-bedroom suite so it worked out, but I had been contemplating having to share a single room with a guy I don't know that well, and the thought took me back to my childhood fear of wearing a diaper at sleepovers. Would a diaper be noticed? Would he hear tapes being pulled through the bathroom door? What do I do with used diapers? Would he think it's strange that I am sleeping in over-sized denim coveralls? 

However, I realized that I couldn't roll the dice on not wearing a diaper to bed at this point. Murphy's Law strongly suggests that had I decided to sleep without a safety net, I would have ended up in an embarrassing conversation with housekeeping. Similarly, I am travelling to the UK and Ireland next summer with a group of buddies for a guy's birthday, and, because of financial constraints for some of us, we are again bunking two to a room - one of the guys works for a major hotel chain and set the whole thing up so we are paying ridiculously little for the rooms, but my trying to engineer having a room to myself, even if I offered to cover the cost differential for whoever I would be abandoning, would look weird and high-handed and probably ungrateful, and would also be really conspicuous.  But, again, I have to figure out how I am going to operate in those shared rooms while wearing diapers. Could I navigate spending the day without my nether regions swaddled in plastic? Probably, although given how much I think we'll be drinking, it might not be the most comfortable arrangement. But at least I won't be swapping nappies in dank over-used restrooms, though I will probably be seeing the inside of those restrooms every 15 minutes or so. I haven't decided yet if I should try to spend the days diaper-free, or, more probably, wear a diaper, but also use the potty when I can. But at night I think I will have to wear one - I haven't slept without a diaper on in approaching three years. And @oznl is further down this road than I am - by the time next summer arrives, I might be closer to where he is, in terms of the frequency of uninitiated nocturnal events. 

I have two topics to comment on this week in the nappy department; first, we had a really good buffet of winter weather over the past 24 hours - rain, freezing rain, ice pellets, then snow. I went out an hour ago to shovel the driveway off, and on impulse, I pulled my snow pants up over a diaper, without any jeans or other middle layer. Why have I not done this before? The big puffy overall-type snow pants did a great job of masking the silhouette of my childish underpants, but because of their loose fit and general bagginess, absence of a waist,  plus the temperature differential, it felt like I was walking around in just a diaper, basically. I will be doing this again. 

Second topic: my wife's evolving acclimatization to my wearing diapers took an interesting turn yesterday. We went out for dinner with friends, and ended up back at their place afterwards. I was wearing a pair of the new jeans I bought a couple of weeks ago; I have been "diaper-sizing" my wardrobe as I go these days, going up a size where it makes sense, in recognition of my intention to always have a diaper on. Wearing a diaper while shopping helps as well - when you get into the change room, you get an accurate idea of how well something fits, if you have obvious "diaper-butt", if the waist dips at the back when you bend over, etc. So, I was wearing a pair of these new jeans, over a diaper, and as I crossed the room to sit down, my wife suddenly piped up that my new jeans were too large, and specifically requested that my buddy's wife look at my butt and comment. She said "yup, too big", and I tried to nonchalantly finish my walk back to my chair, while wondering if my diaper was at all evident. We had been sitting in a restaurant for the previous couple of hours, drinking wine, and I knew that the middle and back of my diaper had probably bulked up considerably. I was so preoccupied by it that when we all got up to go admire their newly-erected Christmas tree, and I pretended I needed something out of my jacket, just to get myself in front of their mirrored closet doors for a quick silhouette inspection, but the up-sized pants were doing their job. While I did indeed look a bit like a kid wearing pants inherited from an older brother, the outline of my diaper was well concealed unless I bent right over, as though performing yoga. I made a mental note not to propose yoga.  

After we left, I felt like saying something to my wife about her calling the group's attention to my diapered butt, but I didn't really know what direction that conversation would head in. Did she know I had a diaper on? I felt pretty certain she must have, but she was in the washroom when I got dressed, and I don't make announcements about what I intend to wear under my clothes, generally speaking. While she knew I had had a diaper on for most of the afternoon, because I was wearing pajama pants that don't hide them very well (the kids were out), I haven't actually ever expressly told her that I wear diapers all the time now, so maybe she thought I took it off when I got ready to go out? In the end, I kept my mouth shut about it. It's my prerogative to wear diapers when we go out. If I complained, she might very logically have said, well, then, don't wear diapers when we go out. 

Mmm..  Some kind of delicate parlour game?   A specific request for a third party to examine your butt-shape when it was overwhelmingly likely she knew you were diapered?  My wife would be organising some kind of diversion-at-any-cost if she thought I was at risk of being discovered: "OOH, look out the window!  A spacecraft!"  This is to do with sparing her embarrassment more than me though.

Dangerous stuff: we are all at best one playful pat-on-the-bum from awkwardness.

Please send some freezing rain to Brisbane, Australia:  39C and smokey today, again with areas of raised dust...  I'll trade you a palm frond.

I think my reaction's much the same as oznl's.  I wonder where she's going to take this next?  Could be the build up to a row, could be the start of her taking some sort of control, but probably it'll turn out to mean nothing.  Anyway, I'm sure you'll let us know what happens next - good luck.

And again like oznl, my wife would do anything to draw attention away.  Her main worry is someone else finding out...

Good thoughts, @oznl & @Stroller; nothing more has come of it - I didn't bring it up afterwards. We are having people over for dinner tomorrow night - I wonder if there will be any further "parlor games". I don't think she'd want me to get found out; maybe she's trying to scare me out of wearing one when we are out with friends? But it's an uncharacteristically aggressive move for her, IF that was her intention. Maybe she was just critiquing my shopping skills - she prefers I go with her to buy clothes - and she forget what she was inadvertently highlighting. 

A couple of quick notes from the last couple of days:

- I had a diaper dream last night, and I am very irritated that I can't remember ANY of it. I just have a recollection of dreaming that I was wearing only a diaper in some situation one generally wouldn't want to be dressed that way for. And I woke up in a very wet diaper, quite wet in particular at the back, which is not a common pattern for me since I tend to sleep on my stomach. I have no idea what it means. I do recall wetting once, lightly, but while lying on my front. The diaper I was wearing was quite large even when dry (Rearz Barnyard), so it was quite noticeable at near-capacity, which perhaps precipitated the dream. 

- Someone I was chatting with elsewhere on the site asked me if I had any further memories of wearing diapers when I was a kid, and I was lamenting that it's hard to summon them at will, they kind of pop up randomly. Well, one popped up randomly today, spurred, I think, by an Advent calendar I was looking at stuck to a fridge. It reminded me of a diaper chart that my parents had on the fridge for a while when I was a kid, probably a suggestion from some book about bed wetting. I got a sticker if I woke up dry, and if I got 5 in a row, I could get some kind of treat. I recall once getting taken to the Pop Shop, which was, as the name suggests, a pop (soda) store where they had all kinds of custom flavours. As an aside, it is kind of ironic to reward a bed wetter with a beverage. Anyway, I didn't get five in a row very often, and they took the chart down after a few months. I also recall my sister looking at it and saying something like "You're never going to get out of diapers, are you? Mom is going to be changing you before your wedding." Although I did not wear a diaper the day (or night) of my wedding, I do have to note that as I type this, I am, of course, sitting here in a diaper. Turns out she was prescient?

On 12/7/2019 at 10:30 AM, Little Sherri said:

- I had a diaper dream last night, and I am very irritated that I can't remember ANY of it. I just have a recollection of dreaming that I was wearing only a diaper in some situation one generally wouldn't want to be dressed that way for. And I woke up in a very wet diaper, quite wet in particular at the back, which is not a common pattern for me since I tend to sleep on my stomach. I have no idea what it means.

It must be the time of year.  I had one last night as well.  I haven't had a diaper dream in ages.  Bizarrely, all I remember dreaming is that i was wetting my diaper.  I got the distinct impression that in my dream, I was actually even in a bed, just not the one I was really in.  I don't remember ANY particular thoughts or emotions about wetting,  I didn't even really have a pee urge but the sensation of a dampening diaper was extremely realistic.  It was more documentary than drama. I woke up in the early hours reasonably wet and that hazy dream was the only recollection I had to explain how this might have occurred.

Being a Sunday night (weekend), there may have been alcohol.  That does seem to be an agent provocateur for my newest habit: fairly intermittent bed-wetting.

I guess it's possible I was half-awake.

So our big dinner party went off without a hitch; my spouse did not attempt to call anyone's attention to my derriere, which was appreciated. In other news, I am considering busting through the cloth diaper wall tonight; to reiterate on the topic, I have cloth diapers and plastic pants, but I don't wear them very often, and in particular, since I "came out" and started wearing diapers in front of my wife, I haven't worn cloth diapers or plastic pants at all. I don't know why, but for some reason, they represent a psychological hurdle for me. So, I am compelled to push through it for some reason. 

I have worn big printed ABDL diapers in front of my wife, as well as lots of plain diapers, but never a cloth diaper. Why, I don't know. I suspect that perhaps it is because cloth diapers remind me more of my childhood than any other attire, although growing up, I didn't really wear them that often. I have expounded here before on gently questioning my mom about it, because I have more memories of cloth diapers, but she said, no, she didn't like them and only used them when she had to. I think they "imprinted" on me more because when I was in them, I was more self-conscious - they're bulkier and harder to hide and feel wetter, and look wet when they are wet, and I needed more help getting into or out of them than I did with disposables. 

On another topic, I had an interesting experience this morning, getting ready to take a shower - I had my night diaper on and I had wet it a short while before starting to undress, while brushing my teeth. Maybe it was the running water. Anyway,  I was standing in the bathroom, absentmindedly unhitching one of the tapes on my diaper after the oral hygiene routine was complete, and when I pulled one side open, lo and behold, I could see that I was still dribbling into the diaper, yet I had absolutely no sensation that I was going whatsoever. I thought it must be just the last few drops, but it continued on, with no force behind it, a very light stream. I thought I would wait it out, but after another 30 seconds, I taped the diaper shut again, and went to pick a shirt for the day. I came back to the washroom and again began cautiously taking my diaper off, and this time, it seemed I was done. I didn't make any "internal" attempt to stop it, however - I'm sure I could have if I'd concentrated, but I didn't want to shut down the slightly surreal experience. Since I had no sensation that I was going, and no feedback from the already-wet diaper, now I am wondering if this has been happening occasionally - I'm generally not in the habit of taking a peek in my inside my diaper to monitor the goings-on. 

6 hours ago, Little Sherri said:

So our big dinner party went off without a hitch; my spouse did not attempt to call anyone's attention to my derriere, which was appreciated. In other news, I am considering busting through the cloth diaper wall tonight; to reiterate on the topic, I have cloth diapers and plastic pants, but I don't wear them very often, and in particular, since I "came out" and started wearing diapers in front of my wife, I haven't worn cloth diapers or plastic pants at all. I don't know why, but for some reason, they represent a psychological hurdle for me. So, I am compelled to push through it for some reason. 

I have worn big printed ABDL diapers in front of my wife, as well as lots of plain diapers, but never a cloth diaper. Why, I don't know. I suspect that perhaps it is because cloth diapers remind me more of my childhood than any other attire, although growing up, I didn't really wear them that often. I have expounded here before on gently questioning my mom about it, because I have more memories of cloth diapers, but she said, no, she didn't like them and only used them when she had to. I think they "imprinted" on me more because when I was in them, I was more self-conscious - they're bulkier and harder to hide and feel wetter, and look wet when they are wet, and I needed more help getting into or out of them than I did with disposables.

The only hint I can think of that might be useful with respect to introducing cloth diapers into your marriage would be to be careful about odour.

I like cloth diapers a lot.  I actually like that “wet” sensation, I find the bulk strangely comforting and in bed, I never need to think about what position I might be laying in, they will not leak.

They have no odour control whatsoever.  A combination of this, incomplete laundering, time and olfactory habituation (aka ‘nose-blindness’) and ‘daily driver’ (as opposed to strictly recreational) use can make them go from odourless to ammonia bears in a couple of hours.

They also don’t wash themselves and in order to stop residue build-up that leads to malodorous use cases, they really need to be soaked.  This involves a prolonged phase of submerged nappies in the laundry tub with associated accusatory looks and eye rolls.  After that, they need to be put through a long, hot wash cycle.

My wife "prefers" me in disposables.  When I use the word "prefer" here, it's more along the lines of she'd "prefer" to be shot than hung.  She likes me to keep my cloth nappies well out of her sight:  Mars would be good in her opinion.  Smell and being confronted with my washing (I do it of course) have been mentioned in dispatches.

It’s still comfortable to the point of decadent to wake up late with an empty bladder, a wet cloth diaper and a very dry bed.

6 hours ago, Little Sherri said:

I could see that I was still dribbling into the diaper, yet I had absolutely no sensation that I was going whatsoever. I thought it must be just the last few drops, but it continued on, with no force behind it, a very light stream. I thought I would wait it out, but after another 30 seconds, I taped the diaper shut again, and went to pick a shirt for the day. I came back to the washroom and again began cautiously taking my diaper off, and this time, it seemed I was done. I didn't make any "internal" attempt to stop it, however - I'm sure I could have if I'd concentrated, but I didn't want to shut down the slightly surreal experience. Since I had no sensation that I was going, and no feedback from the already-wet diaper, now I am wondering if this has been happening occasionally - I'm generally not in the habit of taking a peek in my inside my diaper to monitor the goings-on. 

Yes, this has been a thing for me too.  It's still quite rare and a bit hard to detect although splattering on the gym floor during a change is a dead give-away.

It seems that these new phenomena appear, disappear and reappear again.  At first sporadically, but very slowly become more common.  I do suspect that it's more to do with brain re-wiring than atrophy.

10 hours ago, oznl said:

They also don’t wash themselves and in order to stop residue build-up that leads to malodorous use cases, they really need to be soaked.  This involves a prolonged phase of submerged nappies in the laundry tub with associated accusatory looks and eye rolls.  After that, they need to be put through a long, hot wash cycle.

I've been managing without ever having to soak my nappies, but probably that's because it's not as hot here as in Queensland.  I make sure I never leave them in the bucket for more than 2 days before washing them.  I wash them in a 60 degrees Celcius cotton wash, and they come clean OK.  And that's the same nappies for over a year - they're wearing out before they get whiffy.

I'm in diapers 24/7, I wear diapers with plastic pants when at work or away from home.   I've found the Leakmaster plastic pants hold in the smell when I've messed my diaper.  I will  stay in a dirty diaper when at home for hours, especially if I filled it while sleeping.  At work I change when there is time to get away.  When out in public I will stay in a messy diaper until I get home to change, which could be hours.

17 hours ago, oznl said:

I like cloth diapers a lot.  I actually like that “wet” sensation, I find the bulk strangely comforting and in bed, I never need to think about what position I might be laying in, they will not leak.

They have no odour control whatsoever.  A combination of this, incomplete laundering, time and olfactory habituation (aka ‘nose-blindness’) and ‘daily driver’ (as opposed to strictly recreational) use can make them go from odourless to ammonia bears in a couple of hours.

I've really been enjoying being in this cloth diaper - I still haven't changed it, and it is 11:20 am here. But I have to soon because I have to leave the house. To your point about odour, I can definitely detect some - normally, when I'm sitting around in a disposable, I rarely smell anything other than maybe a faint whiff of the baby powder I use, or the baby-powder scented diaper cream. If it's one I've been in for a good long stretch, then doing something that turns the diaper into a bellows, like plunking down in a chair, might generate a slightly damp smell. But this cloth diaper smells like pee with a twinge of ammonia - I noticed it under the sheets when I woke up this morning. 

As to how my wife took it, well, clearly I had built it up excessively in my head, because it was a non-event. Last night, I got home fairly late from an engagement, so I wasn't in the cloth diaper, which I wore to bed, until my wife was nearly comatose, so I wasn't sure if she actually noticed I was wearing it, but this morning, I walked (and am walking) around in it, and she hasn't perceptibly paused, nor made any comment, even though we've been engaged in an ongoing conversation about upcoming Christmas events. It seems like I have clearance to wear cloth diapers, or to wear plastic pants over disposables, if I want to, at least in so far as it doesn't seem to make any difference to her. Which I guess makes sense, really - a diaper is a diaper - but for some reason I thought this was pushing the boundaries further. 

I have not figured out what to do with it for the moment, once I take it off - I don't have time right now to engage in some kind of elaborate washing process. Leaving a sopping wet diaper in our shower may be what actually draws her ire, rather than wearing one... speaking of which, one thing that is different about cloth diapers, at least when you wear them under clear plastic pants, is that you can definitely tell that they are wet, from outside as well as from inside. 

I was reminded of your recent dinner date yesterday when we had a couple of friends over for the day. The female half of the pair is extremely observant and also inclined to say whatever she is thinking. So I decided to opt for a pullup, and rely on close proximity to a bathroom. 

The day went off without any drama, but she commented that I had lost weight since we last met about 6 months ago. That was flattering given that I was wearing some baggy jeans and a chunky sweater.

What was slightly more curious was the effect this sudden switch into reverse had on my bladder. I managed to stay almost dry except for a couple of small accidents for the duration, thanks to keeping off the beer and frequent trips to the bathroom, but as the day wore on my bladder developed what I can best describe as a dull ache, even when empty. I have had this before, but never for such a pronged period. Uncomfortable, but not overly painful.

A good night's sleep and a very wet nappy this morning seem to have put an end to the protests down there.

Presumably this is a sign that my capacity has reduced markedly, and the ache was due to the muscles being stretched. Hmm.

22 hours ago, dribblez said:

Presumably this is a sign that my capacity has reduced markedly, and the ache was due to the muscles being stretched. Hmm.

That's interesting - I haven't experienced exactly what you're describing, but on those occasions when I do have to hold it, I definitely experience urgency quicker than I used to. I think your theory about reduced capacity is likely on target. 

In other news, my wife said the-word-which-shall-not-be-spoken again - we were both coming upstairs from breakfast in the morning and I said "Hey, I need to jump into the washroom - is there anything you need from in there?" and she said "No, the person wearing the diaper doesn't get to go first." We have four washrooms but there is sometimes a friendly rivalry with respect to who gets into the one in our bedroom first, because it's the most convenient, and all our stuff is in there. I generally need to use that one because it's where I keep my diaper cream and baby powder, and also, using that washroom means I don't have to wander the house carrying a diaper, clean and/or used, and possibly run into one of my kids. But, she had a point, clearly. 

Another note I decided to moved over from a conversation; someone asked me if I recalled any other incidents where I was caught wearing diapers, other than the one I related previously herein, when I jumped out of the car on a drive to Florida and ran over to a playground. I recalled one more:

We went to a drive-in movie up at the cabin, a double feature that started late because the sun had to be most of the way down. It was summer so it was probably 8:30 or 9:00 before the first movie started, so my brother and I wore PJ's in the car, because the expectation was that we would fall asleep before or during the second movie, which my parents felt would be of less interest to us than the first (the movies were Ghost Busters and Tootsie). So, of course, I wore a diaper under my PJ's. I can't recall what my sister wore, but she was 4 years older, so probably just jeans. As an aside, we watched Tootsie as well, despite my parents ordering us to go to sleep. 

Anyway, we drove to the movie, parked, and then walked over to the concession stand to get junk food. We stood in line for probably 20 minutes or so, got bags of popcorn and pop, and walked back to the car. As we were filing away from the food stand, my sister, who was walking behind me,  said "Hey, your Pampers are showing." That struck me like a bolt of lightning, because we were in a fair-sized crowd, with dozens of kids milling back and forth, and we had been in a line with dozens of kids standing behind us as we advanced toward the counter to order the snacks. The whole parking lot was lit with overhead floodlights, and near the concessions and the washrooms, it was as bright as day. I was balancing a cardboard tray with a bag of popcorn and a cup of pop on it, so I couldn't just press 'pause' and pull up my pants. I marched across the parking lot, double-time, passing my brother and my parents, which, in retrospect, probably made me stand out more, if anything, but all I could think about was putting down the tray, and diving into the privacy of the car. I got to the car, put the tray down on the hood, turned so my back was to the side of the car, reached back, and hitched up my PJ pants, which, sure enough, were riding low, having slid down on the smooth plastic. 

That experience also triggered a rarely-required, whispered diaper change request when we got back to the cabin, late that night - I refused to leave the car again to go to the washroom between movies, and I drank a big cup of root beer, so, at some point, I guess I had to partially wet the diaper. Or I fell asleep and wet it - I'm not clear on exactly what happened. 

As the eldest child, I was always expected to set an example.  To this end, my mother toilet trained me very early (mmm, sometimes I wonder about that) and so I have no recollections of being “caught” because I was never wearing beyond infancy.  I have a couple of memory fragments of times when I knew I would have been in nappies but I can recall nothing of the nappies themselves.

I *do* recall very similar childhood drive-in experiences albeit from the opposite side of the planet and the wrong side of the road.

We had (what seemed like) a giant V8 Ford station wagon that would regularly set fire to a few gallons of fossil fuel to drag us the a few miles down to the local drive-in, way down south in Melbourne.

We were “allowed” to watch the first movie but for the second, my mother had put blankets down in the rear of the station wagon and we were consigned there to “sleep”: a baby, a toddler and a kindergarten kid.  After the fighting and whining died down (or was at least, brutally suppressed by my father) we WOULD eventually fall asleep.  I suspect I would have been the only child NOT diapered but to be honest, I just can’t recall that kind of detail.  I cannot recall any instance of my siblings being changed so I guess they were equipped with long-range cloth diapers and left to have at it for the evening.

Being the 1970s, we were allowed to remain, unrestrained, asleep in the back after the last movie had finished and I’d dimly stir at the starting rumble of that V8 (289cu Windsor) and falling back sleep as we moved off.  The next thing I would hear was the sound of my father opening the tailgate to retrieve us at home.  I’m surprised he just didn’t leave us in the car and get us the next morning.  It was that kind of decade for child safety.

I’d assumed that a 1970s drive-in cinema would have long since been flattened and developed but a quick google shows that the Australian National Trust listed it as a heritage building (oh come on, it’s younger than ME, slightly, and I didn’t get a heritage listing!) and therefore it’s still standing.  Nobody seems to know quite what to do with it though.  It hosts a weekly giant car boot sale (Trash & Treasure).

http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/30805

• Like 2
Another note I decided to moved over from a conversation; someone asked me if I recalled any other incidents where I was caught wearing diapers, other than the one I related previously herein, when I jumped out of the car on a drive to Florida and ran over to a playground. I recalled one more:
We went to a drive-in movie up at the cabin, a double feature that started late because the sun had to be most of the way down. It was summer so it was probably 8:30 or 9:00 before the first movie started, so my brother and I wore PJ's in the car, because the expectation was that we would fall asleep before or during the second movie, which my parents felt would be of less interest to us than the first (the movies were Ghost Busters and Tootsie). So, of course, I wore a diaper under my PJ's. I can't recall what my sister wore, but she was 4 years older, so probably just jeans. As an aside, we watched Tootsie as well, despite my parents ordering us to go to sleep. 
Anyway, we drove to the movie, parked, and then walked over to the concession stand to get junk food. We stood in line for probably 20 minutes or so, got bags of popcorn and pop, and walked back to the car. As we were filing away from the food stand, my sister, who was walking behind me,  said "Hey, your Pampers are showing." That struck me like a bolt of lightning, because we were in a fair-sized crowd, with dozens of kids milling back and forth, and we had been in a line with dozens of kids standing behind us as we advanced toward the counter to order the snacks. The whole parking lot was lit with overhead floodlights, and near the concessions and the washrooms, it was as bright as day. I was balancing a cardboard tray with a bag of popcorn and a cup of pop on it, so I couldn't just press 'pause' and pull up my pants. I marched across the parking lot, double-time, passing my brother and my parents, which, in retrospect, probably made me stand out more, if anything, but all I could think about was putting down the tray, and diving into the privacy of the car. I got to the car, put the tray down on the hood, turned so my back was to the side of the car, reached back, and hitched up my PJ pants, which, sure enough, were riding low, having slid down on the smooth plastic. 
That experience also triggered a rarely-required, whispered diaper change request when we got back to the cabin, late that night - I refused to leave the car again to go to the washroom between movies, and I drank a big cup of root beer, so, at some point, I guess I had to partially wet the diaper. Or I fell asleep and wet it - I'm not clear on exactly what happened. 
I pass the old drive in about a mile from my house all the time ,you would only know it was drive in by living here, its been a vacant lot ready for developement for many years,urban renewal hasn't happened yet ,nostalgia ! It was an outdoor flea market for awhile before it was sold off.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Cruiser 03 said:

I pass the old drive in about a mile from my house all the time ,you would only know it was drive in by living here, its been a vacant lot ready for developement for many years,urban renewal hasn't happened yet ,nostalgia ! It was an outdoor flea market for awhile before it was sold off.

They've actually opened a new drive-in about five years ago in the Dallas/Fort Worth TX (USA) area.  The Galaxy Drive-In theater has been in Ennis TX for 15 years (since 2004) and it's still a working in business theater.  The new one that opened a few years ago (2013) is the Coyote Drive-In, in Fort Worth TX and it's twin (which has since closed) in Lewisville TX.  During the off-season (winter) they have outdoor ice skating.

16 hours ago, oznl said:

Being the 1970s, we were allowed to remain, unrestrained, asleep in the back after the last movie had finished and I’d dimly stir at the starting rumble of that V8 (289cu Windsor) and falling back sleep as we moved off.  The next thing I would hear was the sound of my father opening the tailgate to retrieve us at home.  I’m surprised he just didn’t leave us in the car and get us the next morning.  It was that kind of decade for child safety.

I’d assumed that a 1970s drive-in cinema would have long since been flattened and developed but a quick google shows that the Australian National Trust listed it as a heritage building (oh come on, it’s younger than ME, slightly, and I didn’t get a heritage listing!) and therefore it’s still standing.  Nobody seems to know quite what to do with it though.  It hosts a weekly giant car boot sale (Trash & Treasure).

http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/30805

Your comment about a 1970's drive-in cinema surely having been razed by now caused me to try and figure out which place we went to up there, and by God, there is only one anywhere near where our cottage was, and it is, amazingly, still in operation. It actually opened in 1952 apparently. I don't know what it looks like now, but when I was there in the mid 1980's, it definitely looked like it had been erected in the 1950's and then frozen in time. https://muskokadrivein.com/ 

As to vehicular restraint of children in the 70's and 80's, I think the idea was, that if something went wrong, you wanted a clean kill, no lingering about, horribly maimed, no permanent disabilities. They employed the same philosophy with playground equipment back then. 

I remember driving to the East coast of Canada as a kid, in a Dodge Aspen station wagon, and we had to sit patiently in the back seat with our seat belts on (and I'd have had a diaper on, I'm sure), UNTIL we reached the New Brunswick - Nova Scotia border. Nova Scotia was one of the last provinces to enact seat belt legislation. So, as soon as we rolled into Nova Scotia, the laws of physics were apparently repealed, and us kids were allowed to undo our seat belts and clamber over the back seat, into the cargo hold. Then, we'd fold the back seat down, push the luggage forward against the rear of the front seats, and create a space by the back window where we could sit looking out of the back of the car, and play with our toys. Had anything gone awry, we would have become missiles.

• Like 2
Your comment about a 1970's drive-in cinema surely having been razed by now caused me to try and figure out which place we went to up there, and by God, there is only one anywhere near where our cottage was, and it is, amazingly, still in operation. It actually opened in 1952 apparently. I don't know what it looks like now, but when I was there in the mid 1980's, it definitely looked like it had been erected in the 1950's and then frozen in time. https://muskokadrivein.com/ 
As to vehicular restraint of children in the 70's and 80's, I think the idea was, that if something went wrong, you wanted a clean kill, no lingering about, horribly maimed, no permanent disabilities. They employed the same philosophy with playground equipment back then. 
I remember driving to the East coast of Canada as a kid, in a Dodge Aspen station wagon, and we had to sit patiently in the back seat with our seat belts on (and I'd have had a diaper on, I'm sure), UNTIL we reached the New Brunswick - Nova Scotia border. Nova Scotia was one of the last provinces to enact seat belt legislation. So, as soon as we rolled into Nova Scotia, the laws of physics were apparently repealed, and us kids were allowed to undo our seat belts and clamber over the back seat, into the cargo hold. Then, we'd fold the back seat down, push the luggage forward against the rear of the front seats, and create a space by the back window where we could sit looking out of the back of the car, and play with our toys. Had anything gone awry, we would have become missiles.
We had a 1967 ford country squire woody ,the rear had third row seating in the floor that folded forward so we sat looking at the world in reverse ,not a seatbelt in sight anywhere back there . When I took drivers ed in high school ('86) ,the drivers ed car was 1965 Pontiac station wagon ,the school had purchased in '65 new for driver training ,I think it was in '89 they abolished drivers ed and got rid of the car ,it was garage kept and maintained by the shop classes ,whoever bought it got a great deal ,kids today have no idea what schools used to teach Vs the crap minimum they do today ,and that Pontiac had no belts standard, and 3 on the tree transmission .

LOL!  Mis-using station wagons on the road as a kind of children’s playground was indeed an international phenomenon of that time.  I remember talking once with a Swedish colleague who’d also grown up in the 1970s…  She was telling me how her dad used to fold down the rear seat in their Volvo 240 wagon and wedge the children in between the camping gear for summer holiday road trips.  The youngest infant was given special treatment however:  he was secured in a picnic basket just like the family dog except the dog’s picnic basket was up on the roof rack.  Sibling requests to have the dog in the car and the infant sibling on the roof instead were fortunately disregarded.

This from the land the invented the Volvo AND the seatbelt.  Also, the land that in 1968, decided to change the side of the road they drove on (google “H Day”).

As kids we were always devastated that we weren't allowed to ride in the caravan (there was a TV in there!) when we dragged that on holidays.  Actually "devastation" was the operative word.  My mother used to pack the caravan and she wasn't too good with whole mass/velocity equation ("I'll just pop this on the bed").  It was always interesting to locate and see what had happened to things when we got wherever we were going.

We'll get back on topic sooner or later but this is way too much fun for now…

• Like 1
They've actually opened a new drive-in about five years ago in the Dallas/Fort Worth TX (USA) area.  The Galaxy Drive-In theater has been in Ennis TX for 15 years (since 2004) and it's still a working in business theater.  The new one that opened a few years ago (2013) is the Coyote Drive-In, in Fort Worth TX and it's twin (which has since closed) in Lewisville TX.  During the off-season (winter) they have outdoor ice skating.
I am jealous ,I believe we have òne still active drive in in our area , the owner wanted to retire but nobody wanted to buy it ,he decided to sell it for like 10 bucks to the "projectionist" to keep it going , the protectionist hadn't loaded a reel in years , the place had been continuously upgraded through the years so it was fully digital ,however the protectionist had worked there for 40 years ,so he loved the place and it will stay in his family and working for years to come.