LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

I'm thinking of getting a pocket diaper

As the title says, I've been looking into pocket diapers.  I want a diaper that has good thickness to it and from what I see cloth seems to be the way to go.  Currently I just layer my disposables to get a thick diaper, but it's starting to get a little annoying to put each one on one at a time.  With a pocket diaper I can just stuff it with inserts and put just one diaper on.  For those who have pocket diapers what kind of thickness are you getting out of them?  I kinda want to see what I have to spend to get the thickness I want.  For reference the thickness I want is a diaper that makes your legs spread out a bit and gives a medium amount of waddle.  An example being my profile picture, which is about 8 or 9 disposables layered.  Also how's the feeling of pocket diapers compared to a disposable?

The principles by which cloth diapers work are very different from those of throw-aways. AIO's and pocket diapers try to imitate 1970's+ pampers

Nothing beats a flat or prefold traditional cloth diaper and rubber panty or something like it such as what I have. i do not likie heavy padding just between the legs such as insserts make because it retains the caustic urine in the delicate area between the legs. Any diaper that attaches at the sides with no overlay will leak. A pin-on diaper has no "same" that is not covered which can leak. A diaper that is equally thick all around will wick the wet away and spread it out over it's whole size. Also you can get cloth diapers in different "weights"; day and night, and you can double them up if you need more protection so they are more "modular" and good rubber panties are full-cut to accommodate multiple diapers

With anything that snaps or velcro's in place, you are stuck with what they give you so fit is, at best approximate, with pin on diapers you adjust the fit when you put the diaper on so it is as exact as you want it. Also, Velcro quits after awhile unless it is very high quality. Pin on diapers worlded for 100+ years and hey still work today and the system is absurdly simple diaper(s) fasteners and panties. Nothing fancy or deep

Also with a separate waterproof panty, you get coverage that is the full size of the absorbent part and then some, Even snap-on panties are good if the snaps are toward the front so they are not right at the sides if you are a side-sleeper

Also it looks too complicatied to me to do it right

My DL friend who was a long time member here until he passed away last year always wore cloth diapers and plastic pants.  he used the flat adult diapers but he layered them inside with actual cloth baby diapers so he could add extra absorbency where he needed it.  That made some areas bulky, like his crotch area while keeping the upper areas of the diaper front and back more lower profile.  Without a pocket in his diaper he never seemed to have any problem and it also allowed him to add as much bulk in what ever area of his cloth diaper he needed or wanted without being limited to where in a diaper the pocket would happen to be located.  Personally, he gave me a few cloth diapers (new and unused) and I had to modify them for me to use.  I can't get use to a flat diaper even though what he used were not really heavy weight diapers.  His idea was always thinner adult diapers layered with cloth baby diapers because he could add the extra layers of baby diapers just where he wanted them, but also thinner layered diapers dry a lot quicker than one thick diaper after washing.  Even so, I could never get used to the folds of the flat diaper as it went between my legs, the Camel Toe look people talk about.  It was always uncomfortable so what I did was take the flat diapers he gave me and cut them on each side between the legs to contour them for more comfort.  I could still layer a folded baby diaper or two in the crotch for extra absorbtion, but it was more comforatable.  The point is, you don't need a flat diaper or a special pocket sewn into your cloth diaper to hold an insert.  You can wear any flat or contoured cloth diaper if you like and just add folded cloth baby diapers as inserts anywhere in the diaper if needed.  Now, the point is you don't like the layering of inserts one at a time.  Maybe once you discover just where in a cloth diaper the inserts need to go for the nest results, you can sew 2, 3 or even 4 cloth baby diapers together to make several thick inserts so your diaper is still layered with several diapers inside, it's just that those several diapers have been sewen together into one insert.  Maybe you could even overlap them so one sticks up more in the front, one sticks up a little more in the back but all three are bulky in the crotch.  Gradually taper them front and back so to speak.  You can make up a dozen or so different inserts made from sewn together cloth baby diapers.  Different lengths, different absorbencies depending on how many you sew together, many options!   Besides, you can often find cloth baby diapers for sale at rummage and yard sales and thrift stores.  You have lots of options to experiment with! 

Pocket diapers resemble some things I used to see from JK some 32 years ago until they folded. These were for adults and were avoiding of being called diapers and related to the pant and pad with a pouch rather than the Sani-pant that used an adhesive, throw away pad or the Pro-Pant prototype AIO with the snap in pad. You will never get the functionality of a real diaper. I always interpreted this kind of thing as, for children or adults with the need for concealability and for babies' mothers who had a bug up their asses about traditional diapers and rubber panties

For me, diapers do not have to be "thinner" anywhere. A dress, skirt or babydoll covers a multitude of sins. and diapers that are not significantly thicker at the crotch speed the exit of pee from that area. What I wear was designed and made by a lady for one of her little girls who was a bedwetter or a "sleepwetter" or let us just say she wet in her sleep. It was a proto contour diaper from about 1951

diaper2a.jpg

single

diaper3a.jpg

double

To my knowloedge, she and the persons she taught it to were the only ones to use it, and I am the only one to use it here or any ABDL/Little place. it was inexpensive and easy to make, at the time coming in at about $8 each for the heavyweight and $6 for the light and they heavy was the equivalent of diapers costing $15,-20 and if doubled (one of each) for $14 you got a night's worth. Of course, that depended on your liquid consumption, too, I have gotten 4 hours out of the light and 8 out of the heavy and I have gotten 2-1/2 form the light and 5 out of the heavy butI usually got at the least 8 from the double. That may also be a function of how I react to wet material: I hate it. With the special "rubber diaper" that puts a waterproof barier between the wet material and me. I have gotten AT LEAST 10 and up to 17, averageing about 14

Wow thanks everyone for the good info.  A couple things I should clarify.

1: I don't plan on using the pocket diaper for its intended purposes.  I want to wear it for comfort, so I'm not worried about leaking.  I enjoy that thick diaper feeling and would like a easier way to achieve that.

2: I'm not a fan of rubber diapers or flat folds, so I kinda want to avoid these.

But you folks have given me some good info to work with.  I grew up in disposables so that's what I'm used to, but I would like to try cloth at some point.  I gravitated towards the pocket diapers because they have that disposable diaper look that i'm familiar with.  Looks like more research is necessary.  

From what I see, a pocket diaper is only padded down the center-line. Mine and full size diapers are padded all the way around