LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Diapers And Pyschology

My psychologist says that new studies are ongoing for infantilism. A psychiatrist who is good friends with my wife is involved in a study of adult babies and diaper lovers. My guess is the findings will involve some special gene (everything else does!). Actually, my psychologist is pretty cool when it comes to adults and diapers. I wore diapers until I was six, and then had then taken away forcefully. They were my security, or part of it, and that is why, even though I've been incontinent for 42 years (since age 12) I've always loved diapers and probably always will. Her suggestion to me: "when you're feeling stressed or threatened, add a diaper, drink from a baby bottle, or use your pacifier until you feel more secure." She calls it self-care time. I used to feel guilty because I thought of it as self-indulgence time. My wife (also my AB mommy) makes sure I have self-care time every day. When she's home, she often changes me, reads children's books to me, and feeds me a bottle of warm milk for that time. In return I make her coffee every morning at 4:30, cook dinner every day for her, and take her out on dates every Friday night. I think I got the best of that bargain!

I don't believe so. Most of the DLs I've spoken with are of above average intelligence, and can carry on a decent and intelligent conversation. They seem to be well balanced folks overall. This obviously isn't a scientific study, just my personal experience.

Many people that are of above average intelligence also suffer from depression. Mental illness is not side-stepped by being smart. Nor is a psychological issue something that arises completely within the brain without outside influence.

I doubt they'll find some gene that is related to this -- besides, a psychiatric/psychological investigation of infintalism isn't going to turn up that information anyway, unless they have some geneticists on the team.

My guess, like many mental conditions, they will find several common causes -- as if we couldn't identify this ourselves -- along with several not-so-common causes, and to top it off, some cases where they cannot pinpoint a cause. In between these, they will be able to say things like "much of the time" a certain factor at a young age was a cause, and "often, it can be observed" that some sort of mental or physical gratification is the reason the behavior continues, due to the positive reinforcement.

Seriously, we don't need an "official" study by people who have pieces of paper that give them a title to figure out why many of us are the way we are. Sure, there some cases that won't fit in nicely, but this seems to be true with many mental illnesses.

It is certain that there are psychological causes to our desires. And there is more than one.

Many people that are of above average intelligence also suffer from depression. Mental illness is not side-stepped by being smart. Nor is a psychological issue something that arises completely within the brain without outside influence.

I doubt they'll find some gene that is related to this -- besides, a psychiatric/psychological investigation of infintalism isn't going to turn up that information anyway, unless they have some geneticists on the team.

My guess, like many mental conditions, they will find several common causes -- as if we couldn't identify this ourselves -- along with several not-so-common causes, and to top it off, some cases where they cannot pinpoint a cause. In between these, they will be able to say things like "much of the time" a certain factor at a young age was a cause, and "often, it can be observed" that some sort of mental or physical gratification is the reason the behavior continues, due to the positive reinforcement.

Seriously, we don't need an "official" study by people who have pieces of paper that give them a title to figure out why many of us are the way we are. Sure, there some cases that won't fit in nicely, but this seems to be true with many mental illnesses.

It is certain that there are psychological causes to our desires. And there is more than one.

Well, personally, when i actually get my PhD i will diffidently dedicate my life to finding out more about this delicate but interesting subject. One thing i will do is create awareness through seminars!

Necros~

I have 137 IQ and I'm actually loosing my mind. No really, I'm literally going insane.

Oh, and if Victoria Secret started selling adult diapers, you better believe I'd have a catalog in my bathroom!

My reading reveals the following. Frist of all, main stream phycology deals with this officially as a "paraphillia" a sexual fetish. You will find this reference in something called the DSM ( diagnostic & statistical manual) of the APA (American Psychological Association). However, before we put too much store in the DSM,,, it wasn't all that long ago that "homosexuality" was also listed as a "disorder".. Infantilism has not been studied much. It is my opinion that this is because we have been so very much in the closet. We don't present for "treatment" so the APA hasn't examined us, and stamped us. The fact that we are talking about it may lead to more investigation. It may be that infantilism is associated with some other clinical factors, perhaps whatever leads us to seek the security of babyhood is associated with depression, or anxiety, or who knows what. All I know about it is that the majority of AB's ( and DL's !) seem to have their heads on pretty nicely. When was the last time you heard about an AB ordering the invasion of a small mid-eastern country !

for what it is worth...

missy

My reading reveals the following. Frist of all, main stream phycology deals with this officially as a "paraphillia" a sexual fetish. You will find this reference in something called the DSM ( diagnostic & statistical manual) of the APA (American Psychological Association). However, before we put too much store in the DSM,,, it wasn't all that long ago that "homosexuality" was also listed as a "disorder".. Infantilism has not been studied much. It is my opinion that this is because we have been so very much in the closet. We don't present for "treatment" so the APA hasn't examined us, and stamped us. The fact that we are talking about it may lead to more investigation. It may be that infantilism is associated with some other clinical factors, perhaps whatever leads us to seek the security of babyhood is associated with depression, or anxiety, or who knows what. All I know about it is that the majority of AB's ( and DL's !) seem to have their heads on pretty nicely. When was the last time you heard about an AB ordering the invasion of a small mid-eastern country !

for what it is worth...

missy

And yet S/M was classed as a disorder in the DSM up until 4? i'd have to re-check but i know they've changed its classification.

Its all perspective.

If you were the only person, in a race of people who *saw* things that you didnt, and you didnt believe them, you'd be the crazy-one too. try not to be too hasty in worrying about labels. You are who you are.

And yet S/M was classed as a disorder in the DSM up until 4? i'd have to re-check but i know they've changed its classification.

Its all perspective.

If you were the only person, in a race of people who *saw* things that you didnt, and you didnt believe them, you'd be the crazy-one too. try not to be too hasty in worrying about labels. You are who you are.

Very nicely said dark... very nicely indeed.... thank you

I am sorry, but I cannot call my "condition" (wearing diapers, being an AB) a mental illness. Sure there are those of us who are mentally ill, you have that in any group. We are no more mentally ill than the gay community, or if you prefer, we are no more demented than transvestites. Call me picky, but I don't like to be stereotyped. We are the way we are, that's all, we're a little different, not defective.

Thanks.

I'm an accomplished pilot,and build race cars,but I like the idea and feel of diapers....I've felt this way since I was born...People get to worried....its just like if you like silk panties and all that...I mean Victoria secrets?....That underwear gets people horny to right?.....I don't think its a psycology thing...we like to have thick underwear on,it makes us happy and nuff said..

Wouldn't it be funny if Victoria secrets starts selling Adult Diapers??...eheheh OMG I would be there every chance I had in order to buy adult diapers in front of Hot 20 year olds!..lol...

I agree 100%. But sometimes I think it would be fun to be studied. It seems that I'm the one thats studies most of the time. Race cars rock!!!!

DLK

I live in a dominate republican state so if any one is homosexual i appologize. In my state if a homosexual walked down the street hand in hand they would be labeled right off the bat but no questions asked. I wonder what how people would react to seeing adults in strollers come into a mall or on the side walk. personally I think it would be rather hillariuosto see the reaction on alot of peoples faces. About the phycology part it really might have something to do with mental health. Think about it going back to a time where you were secure(AB) or using somethingin this case a diaper to make you feel secure it is making you feel better about yourself(DL). Is that a sign of depression? I think so but am not completly sure. I am a bedwetter but have respect for people who choose to be homosexual and DL/AB.

-nbs332000

I am sorry, but I cannot call my "condition" (wearing diapers, being an AB) a mental illness. Sure there are those of us who are mentally ill, you have that in any group. We are no more mentally ill than the gay community, or if you prefer, we are no more demented than transvestites. Call me picky, but I don't like to be stereotyped. We are the way we are, that's all, we're a little different, not defective.

Thanks.

Yeah, just look at the terminology. To say someone is mentally ill is to say they have a sickness. To say someone has a sickness is to say they are not healthy. To say someone is not healthy is to have a preconceived notion of what categorizes a "healthy" person. The fact is that the word healthy is subjective in the mental arena and when a bunch of scholars determine that a condition is not healthy they have to take into account "distress" upon the individual or society. Being an Adult Baby does not cause most of us distress, matter of fact it is quite the opposite. So the only conclusion can be that the DSM definition had to come from the societal opinion that infantilism is not healthy for society instead of the individual. It does make sense to include society in the definition because that is where we live, but if we were to call ourselves sick because someone else does then we have to look at the greater societal good of not being an adult baby or being "healed". What the DSM fails to realize is that the effects of treating our "sickness" is to create a real mental condition that causes ourselves distress like depression and ocd. Society then gets freed of the distress but this distress gets transferred to the "healed" adult baby. So the fact is, that being an AB/DL will have to be classified as a mental condition because it causes distress to society(or so it is assumed by the DSM folks), but it is one in which a stalemate has to occur. If we accept it then we do become ill by definition, but we also can totally live with this "condition" because it makes us happy. That is why all of the psychology papers out there (like 4 of them) all talk about how little is written on the subject. The reason, being an Adult Baby is no mental illness at all because we ARE healthy. or at least i am :P

Super Diaper Baby

I wouldn't trust the DSM-IV or the ICD-10 any further than I could comfortably throw them. They give terribly over-simplified and incredibly rigid definitions of really complex and variable subjects. They're not worth the paper they're printed on in my eyes.

Morv is right... There's no one cause, they may not even be any cause for some of us. When you ask the psychology and psychiatry professions to study things like this, the DSM is what you end up with...

I'm an accomplished pilot,and build race cars,but I like the idea and feel of diapers....I've felt this way since I was born...People get to worried....its just like if you like silk panties and all that...I mean Victoria secrets?....That underwear gets people horny to right?.....I don't think its a psycology thing...we like to have thick underwear on,it makes us happy and nuff said..

Wouldn't it be funny if Victoria secrets starts selling Adult Diapers??...eheheh OMG I would be there every chance I had in order to buy adult diapers in front of Hot 20 year olds!..lol...

I would too if they help with finding the right size.....and things to go with them.(Where does the line start???)

I read "mental health" to be a broad term, Vic, not just to mean whether it is classified as a disease. Psychology as a whole is related to more than just the mind.

I think you may have also misread my post, though I could be wrong.

That was in refrence to this:

I don't believe so. Most of the DLs I've spoken with are of above average intelligence, and can carry on a decent and intelligent conversation. They seem to be well balanced folks overall. This obviously isn't a scientific study, just my personal experience.

I was mostly responding to the sentence "They seem to be well balanced folks overall," which I took to mean that he saw them as sane... in addition to above average intelligence. That was a step outside the issue, just noting the lack of a relationship between high intelligence and being "well balanced." Also, I made no suggestion that I disagreed with his evaluation of DLs to be "above average intelligence," nor do I. Nor do I argue with his evaluation of his DL friends as "well balanced folks overall." What I meant to argue was the possible false assumption that high intelligence caused them to be "well balanced folks overall."

The rest of my post was about a mental condition. I never meant to suggest that ab/dl was a mental illness. I guess that might make my last sentence a bit disconcerting.

Sure, there some cases that won't fit in nicely, but this seems to be true with many mental illnesses.

I probably worded that poorly. I work with mentally ill individuals (clients, not my co-workers -- I've had other jobs where my co-workers were mentally ill, but that's a funny rant). And everything I work with is a mental illness, so that is, I guess what I have to compare it to. Oddly, I didn't go to college for psychology, but I do know enough about it to know some basic concepts. (I actually paid attention in General Psych (Psych 100).) All the detailed information in the field, however is mental illness. There are trends in mentall illnesses which, also arise in general with conditions. I however, only have mental illness to compare this too. If, out of my post, that made you think I consider us all nuts, consider yourself corrected. I'm sorry you read it that way.

That's how I apologize, I rationalize.

By the way, I didn't mean I AGREED with the DSM - far from it. I noted that they had listed homosexuality as a disorder, just to show how far off the mark they can be. Our society loves to find someone a little bit different from the mainstream and either label it, find a "cause" for it. Old folks like me will remember that they used to think that homoseuality was "caused" by things like an abset dad or an overproctive mother or a hormone problem! We like diapers... some like fast cars, some like partying in clubs, some like to go caming..... are these conditions that need treating? No, these are things that people do for enjoyment. We are who we are.....

Homosexuality also occurs in nature. It is a preference between sexes, not a preference for objects that we create. Homosexuality has been around pretty much as long as humanity has. Diapers, and therefore diaper lovers, have not.

And even with homosexuality, there is a cause, but it didn't lie so much in the nurture realm as it did in the nature realm. Things don't just happen for no reason. There may be things which we don't fully understand the cause of, but that doesn't mean they aren't caused by something.

Personally I think we overmedicate and for that matter overtreat mental disorders in general. However, I do not see there being a problem with studying and analyzing. Saying we shouldn't search for causes is paramount to saying we shouldn't try and understand, and that, I believe, is wrong. Human nature, as Bob Seger so eloquently described when he wrote, "so it seems our destiny/to search and never rest." Humans explore things, that is what we do. It is called science. Science finds causes, it finds how and why so that we can comprehend, so that we can gain insight, so we can be enlightened.

Some things may have more immediate answers, however. People who like most of the activities you listed easily find other people that enjoy the same things. In fact, I'd take the guess that people who like most of those activities enjoy them because either they grew up being exposed to them, or they discovered them with people they are friends with.

Some things may have more immediate answers, however. People who like most of the activities you listed easily find other people that enjoy the same things. In fact, I'd take the guess that people who like most of those activities enjoy them because either they grew up being exposed to them, or they discovered them with people they are friends with.

Morv:

I think my cat has acquired a fetish for my presence. After the loss of her brother, she now starts purring in my presence before I touch her.

DSM, most recently, only classifies fetishes as a problem if they are interfering with someone's functioning or harming someone else. AB or DL alone, doesn't cut it anymore as a treatable condition, the thing that needs control is the harm and the interference.

I'll offer my own theory on AB and DL ism. Flashbacks from traumatic experiences, where some small part of the traumatic experience causes the emotional state to be recreated, are well known. I claim that AB and DL is at least sometimes caused by the same effect, except in the positive sense: We remember all that pleasant physical attention when we were babies, and the diaper and/or baby experience triggers the emotional memory. Unlike in the traumatic case, we don't try to make the reaction go away, because it is generally a positive, pleasant reaction.

Dill, if you read my previous posts, you will see I went to some effort to say I didn't consider AB/DL a mental illness. In fact, I even posted to clarify earlier statement to make that point.

And, as far as association with positive events/memories/feelings, I couldn't agree more. I'm curious about a little more detail than that, personally.