LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

I Don'T Need Any More Flash Drives

DailyDi

I have flash drives that I have been using daily for 4+ years and probably have well over 100K uses and they still work great. They are not as expensive as they used to be, so replacing one when they die or get lost, is not a big deal either

I've had my flash drive for about four years as well. Once in a while, though, I'll save a file and it will go corrupt. When I open it (mostly Word documents) there is either nothing there or a bunch of gibberish. I don't fully trust flash drives, but I wouldn't want to live without one. Since I work for a library service, I get a lot of CDs that pass through my department. If I want to listen to one, I simply rip it and put it on the flash drive so I can play it in the car on the looooong commute home. (I have a Ford Sync system that plays MP3 files from a USB port).

I've always only bought LaCie drives and have never had any problems with them. I tend to prefer style over utilitarianism too thus the LaCie purchases as they make some cool looking stuff. I don't buy tons of them though.

On the other hand I am that way with lamps. I don't even like light yet I still love buying lamps.

Guest *~Andi~*

TRY DROPBOX.COM.... its much better than flashdrives. Its free and I use it as Im a teacher. That way none of my files get lost.

TRY DROPBOX.COM.... its much better than flashdrives. Its free and I use it as Im a teacher. That way none of my files get lost.

Dropbox is great as a secondary repository for your data, but you should always have a physical copy as well. Companies are always going out of business and your data could disappear overnight. Also if you are moving large files around a USB drive will be much faster vs dropbox.

Guest Diaperdragon

I use Dropbox, and cloud computing to store my files. My most sensitive files are either encrypted with PGP, GNUPG or with Truecrypt.

Dropbox is great as a secondary repository for your data, but you should always have a physical copy as well. Companies are always going out of business and your data could disappear overnight. Also if you are moving large files around a USB drive will be much faster vs dropbox.

Depends on your connection and physical drives are also prone to loss of data, particularly portable ones. You can loose them, break them, or accidentally erase them. Internal hard drives fail. It's just a good idea to keep important data in multiple locations and certain web sites are far far more reliable than any storage you could yourself provide because they do exactly that. Things like Flickr, Amazon, Photobucket, etc, have been around for a long time and have redundant data storage. Dropbox isn't as established but it has been around for a decent length of time, since 2007 I believe.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have complete computer operating systems set up on flash drives.

I also have one that will give a computer the blue screen of death

Depends on your connection and physical drives are also prone to loss of data, particularly portable ones. You can loose them, break them, or accidentally erase them. Internal hard drives fail. It's just a good idea to keep important data in multiple locations and certain web sites are far far more reliable than any storage you could yourself provide because they do exactly that. Things like Flickr, Amazon, Photobucket, etc, have been around for a long time and have redundant data storage. Dropbox isn't as established but it has been around for a decent length of time, since 2007 I believe.
While I agree with that philosophy- the nice thing about Dropbox is that it typically (by default) keeps a copy on at least one machine, if not every. While the company itself may go out business, better to go with a larger business like Dropbox, then a Dropbox clone. As many businesses are switching to cloud storage, some even using Dropbox, it's unlikely they will just up and disappear. They are one of the few who have been around so long- at consumer pricing. With things like government grade security, HIPPA compliance, and multi site backup, spread amongst multiple continents. That type of infrastructure doesn't come cheap- to rent or own. That being said. With a larger base than most clones being business users, if they had a disaster, financial issues or what not chances are very good you would have ample warning to get your data off one of the many site servers they have. I have many clients who use them- just for the above reasons. -Blake-