LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Whats The Difference Between Effeminate And Feminine?

Michelle

Effeminate usually refers to dress or mannerisms by men that go against male gender roles. It's rarely if ever used to refer to women, but can also be used to refer to more abstract entities (cultures, philosophies, politics, works of art, etc.). In the latter case especially, it more often than not carries a connotation of discrediting said entity by feminizing it.

Feminine generally refers to fulfillment of a female gender presentation ("performativity," if you're familiar with post-structuralist philosophy). Unlike "effeminate," it doesn't carry the connotation of an underlying maleness, and can refer to any gender. It doesn't always coincide with a person's gender identity. Women can be masculine and men can be feminine while still falling within what is societally acceptable for that gender. It can also refer to gender specifically as it functions in grammar (masculine or feminine nouns in most Romance languages, for example).

To cut through all the queer theory sermonizing, feminine is broader and fairly neutral; effeminate refers only to males and has more of a misogynist history.

To get a quick reference, think of "effeminate" as Little Lord Fauntleroy and feminine as Shirley Temple. Other synonyms for "eddeminate" are "Sissy/sissified", "moma's boy", "fairyhopper [fairy+grasshopper.; southern New England sland 9-15 yr olds]", "wimp" or Woos [Wussy <- pussy ; slang for vagina]"

Also in psychology. particularly in the theoretical foundation of the Edwards Personal Preference Schedule test, personality traits are indentifed as gendered but not gender-specific and my apply to either sex without pejorative connotations

Then too, there is context. If someone here or someone who understood me and how I operate and the context, told me I was feminintne or "part girl" that would be fine, but if anyone told me I am "effeminate", I would have to break both their legs and turn them into a frog, or better yet a doll to be the plaything of a little girl; preferably Lizzie Borden

To get a quick reference, think of "effeminate" as Little Lord Fauntleroy and feminine as Shirley Temple. Other synonyms for "eddeminate" are "Sissy/sissified", "moma's boy", "fairyhopper [fairy+grasshopper.; southern New England sland 9-15 yr olds]", "wimp" or Woos [Wussy <- pussy ; slang for vagina]"

Also in psychology. particularly in the theoretical foundation of the Edwards Personal Preference Schedule test, personality traits are indentifed as gendered but not gender-specific and my apply to either sex without pejorative connotations

Then too, there is context. If someone here or someone who understood me and how I operate and the context, told me I was feminintne or "part girl" that would be fine, but if anyone told me I am "effeminate", I would have to break both their legs and turn them into a frog, or better yet a doll to be the plaything of a little girl; preferably Lizzie Borden

Oh wow. I'm afraid that went right past me. I guess I'm not very smart. I have no idea who Little Lord Fauntleroy is and I don't what the Edwards Personal Preference Schedule test is either.

Also who is Lizzie Borden? Sounds like you mean a doll but I'm not familiar with it.

Thanks for answering though...:rolleyes:

it can also be a state of mind i have seen girls thst are masculine and i have seen guys that are feminine .To me it means who you are inside and out side .There are some days i feel very girlish and sometimes i feel like a total guy !!Also lizzy borden was and axe murderer she killed her mom and dad with an axe and kinda got away with it true story .!! :thumbsup:

Guest NaughtyAshes

I actually think wikipedia provides a nice definition of effeminate.

"Effeminacy describes traits in a human male, that are more often associated with traditional feminine nature, behavior, mannerisms, style or gender roles rather than masculine nature, behavior, mannerisms, style or roles"

Although, I would like to add that is a kind of exaggerated almost mocking "traditional feminine nature." They miss the mark for what is intrinsically and fundamentally feminine as it were. For example, males are effeminate if they are obsessed with pink, jewelry, and various other frills and dainties.

Another way to to understand it is that a woman (transsexual or non-transsexual) is more likely feminine, whereas a male cross-dresser is more likely effeminate.

Guest NaughtyAshes

Or you can try this, to bring things into a more current time.

Michael Jackson = effeminate

Marilyn Monroe = Feminine

:blush:

hope this helps

So you think its the 1950s/1980s? Stuck in a Timewarp? Perhaps we should call The Doctor.

• Like 1

So you think its the 1950s/1980s? Stuck in a Timewarp? Perhaps we should call The Doctor.

The Doctor??? Who......? :huh:

kidding :P

Anyways, I couldn't think of anyone else for a 'feminine' example, since most women today are 'casual' or more almost 'masculine' in mannerisms anymore. It's hard to find someone who woul dbe 'feminine' or more 'lady like' in behavior *shrug*

"sides....who doesn't know who Marilyn Monroe??? :P

To me feminine is the general quality of females, but effeminate is something that's almost always used negatively and almost never applied to women. Like "fruity" or what have you, it has a similar meaning to emasculated.

Old Nursery Rhyme:

"Lizzie Borden took an axe,

And gave her mother forty whacks.

When she saw what she had done,

She gave her father forty one!"

Bettypooh

Totally off topic, this is far more than a nursery rhyme but based in the murder of Lizzie Borden's father and step-mother in Fall River, MA. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lizzie_Borden

She might have been feminine, but she swung a mean axe!

[quote name='diaperpt' timestamp='12924

She might have been feminine, but she swung a mean axe!