LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Patterns For Plastic Pants

well i now have acess to a good sewing machine and a source for sewable vinyl like plstic pants are made from. now i need a pattern. everything out there for babies is geared twoards the AIO style of wear which is not what i want. i want pull on pants similar to what b4ns sells. i can alter them to make locking or elastic etc, however i want, but i need a base pattern to start with. ive hunted and hunted and come up with squat. Anybody else on here know a source?

I probably can't help you with any patterns, but I can give you a heads-up on sewing plastic pants. They are very prone to rip along the seam lines that you sew, but it depends on the material you use. I've used plastic tablecloths and vinyl shower curtains. The shower curtains hold up better, but they, too, tend to rip along the seams and where you sew in the elastic. I've never tried PUL (Polyurethane Laminate) but I do know that people make baby pants and all-in-ones out of that material and that it takes to being sewn much better than plastic. It also "breathes."

As for patterns, you could search for patterns for baby pants online and then enlarge the pattern to fit an adult. Go a bit bigger on the waist measurements. The crotch should be at least 12".

Good luck.

I know this is sacrilege but maybe you could carefully deconstruct a pair in the size you want and use it for your pattern. Just an idea.

Hugs,

Freta

I know this is sacrilege but maybe you could carefully deconstruct a pair in the size you want and use it for your pattern. Just an idea.

Hugs,

Freta

problem there lies in that most manufactured plastic pants are "electronically welded" at the seams. deconstructing them would require cutting them to bits and you would still not be anywhere because they do not allow any extra material for stiches.

the material i have access to is more akin to seat cover vinyl that thin plastic like we're used to. its made to be stiched and not rip. as long as i make the stiches the right width it should be fine.

I have often thought of making my own plastic pants----even have a couple sewing machines I don't really know how to use.

Might I suggest that you simply get a pair of men's cotton briefs that are a size larger than you want and cut them for your pattern.

Also, I would think that the side seams could be of wide velcrow. That combined with wider than lingerie elastic at waist and legs

could provide a pair of plastic pants that may be pulled on and off easily or removed easily by undoing the velcro, if you wished

not to have to remove all your other clothing and shoes.

Baby June is right: w i d e crotch!

Realistically, do not expect to get your "very own new" plastic pants right the first time. It will take several attempts.

Best of luck. Persevere. And let us know later how you have succeeded.

HAPPINESS IS WEARING COTTON DIAPERS

Buy a roll of drawer lining paper - umpteen metres for virtually nothing. Dismember an old pair of plastic pants if you have them, or measure an existing pair carefully, stretching the elastic fully before you measure. Transfer the measurements onto the lining paper, check that they are reasonable by measuring your own hip, waist and waist-to-waist, allow for seams and cut it out. Then lay it on your material, tape it in place, and the cut it out. that way you will make an accurate patter that you can uses over and over again. If the first pair don't fit correctly, put the pattern back on a fresh length of lining paper and make such adjustments as you need. Leg holes can be difficult, especially round the back, but persevere.

well i now have acess to a good sewing machine and a source for sewable vinyl like plstic pants are made from. now i need a pattern. everything out there for babies is geared twoards the AIO style of wear which is not what i want. i want pull on pants similar to what b4ns sells. i can alter them to make locking or elastic etc, however i want, but i need a base pattern to start with. ive hunted and hunted and come up with squat. Anybody else on here know a source?

Using an old pair that you like for a pattern will work well ;) Use a stitch-ripper tool to take the old elastic off, and at the sides cut straight down the heat-sealed seams. When you lay the pattern out simply add a bit at the side seams to allow you to sew that area :) I haven't tried to do much with plastic yet. I've done enough repairs to know it's kind of fickle- or maybe ornery is a better word. Both my attempts at starting from scratch were abject failures :P

Here's what little I found:

Stitch spacing is critical so copy that from something similar- too close and the plastic rips along the sewn seam; too far and the individual holes tear out :huh: Stitch tension has to be right as well, again too tight will rip the plastic along the seam, too loose and the elastic comes off. Keep trying and you'll get it right B) Once you do either mark down the machine's settings or leave it alone :blush: No point of having to find the magic spot all over again :rolleyes:

Good Luck and Happy Sewing!

Bettypooh

well i knocked together a pair to experiment with. just roughly modeled them off a pair of swim trunk liners that were about right. i made them by making a tube of material the right diameter and length. then i sewed a crotch point in them, and then littel by little fitted the leg holes by trial and error, trimming away about 1/4" at a time, biasing twoards the front ot leave room in the seat. the elastic i have isnt right for this application so i made these a loop belt for a lock and small chain. stich spacing was 1/32" and theyre holding up so far, even though they are very snug. as soon as i got them finished and ran to the hardware store to get a bit of chain and a small lock, mommy insisted upon me being promptly double diapered with stuffers and locked in. i guess theyll get a good workout tonite! They look FUNNY according to mommy because the vinyl i had on hand was for making rucksack covers and is marpat digital camo. ah well. waterproof is waterproof. at least they wont stain (i think).

Instead of making and sewing belt loops for a chain & lock causing extra wear & tear points;

consider making a tunnel waist band out of cloth and sewing it about the circumference of the

waist band and then run the chain thru the tunnel leaving a space in front or back to lock

the two ends together.

Here is the what I think you are trying to achieve

A picture is worth a great deal more than words.

Here is a website with pix:

http://www.plastic-pants.com/big/lockpants.htm

And another:

http://www.fetware.com/locking_pants.htm

Some applications go so far as to lock the leg bands.....

Babylock

The responses here got me to wondering about something. I know places sell these bag sealers for heat sealing plastic food storage bags so you can freeze and preserve food. I wonder if experimenting with an old torn pair of plastic pants someone might find out if one of those heat sealers would work on "welding" side seams for plastic pants?

I looked briefly at that option. The impluse heat sealers come in different sizes and have various power requirements. The commerical manufactuers us a heat weld that is continuous for the length of the seam. That size is not the cheap you can get for food storage.

I decided to focus more on PUL and ProCare, but if you have success with vinyl, please let me know.

The responses here got me to wondering about something. I know places sell these bag sealers for heat sealing plastic food storage bags so you can freeze and preserve food. I wonder if experimenting with an old torn pair of plastic pants someone might find out if one of those heat sealers would work on "welding" side seams for plastic pants?

A long time ago I bought a small cheap heat sealer for the kitchen made much like a desk stapler. You clamped the plastic in between and slid it along the seam and supposedly made a perfect seal every time :whistling: In actuality you either got melted holes, poor adhesion, or a mix of both along the seam :( I picked it up new for almost nothing at a clearance store after people figured out that the TV advertising for it didn't match up with real life :blush: I tossed it after trying to fix small seam rips on several plastic panties and ending up with bigger holes instead :angry: Tape makes for a much better repair ;)

I wonder how many 'takes' it took for each of the demonstrations the svelte blonde actress did with this gadget for it to actually seal a baggie of liquid? :lol: As I said before working with plastic is finicky and you have to get it just right for good results. If anyone learns and shares the secret of the perfect heat-sealed plastic panties seam and shares it I'll start doing some custom work B) For what some people pay on Ebay I ought to be rich in a matter of months :roflmao:

Bettypooh