LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

The Most Recent Evolution Of Bladder Control Products

As most of you all know, incontinence products as far as actual adult disposable diapers have gone by the wayside as far as manufacturing and marketing in favor of the pull on disposable underwear. As I've stated in other posts, in order to sell more products and therefor make more profits, the shift has gone from the much smaller percentage of people who are actually incontinent to the much larger (as these companies would have you believe) percentage of people who have occasional leakage problems. This has been going on for several years, hence the lack of actual diapers anymore in many stores in favor of the pull on disposable underwear. First rule of marketing is to establish a need for your product. Then you have to make everyone want and need your product in order to sell it. They also have to be comfortable with usuing your product and have confidence in it's ability to do what it's marketed to do.

We've all seen the commercials for pull on disposable underwear, the ones where the woman laughs hard and supposedly wets herself, the ones where the woman is excersizing in the park, driving home in a traffic jam, fumbling for her house keys, etc. The implication here is that it's OK to wear a disposable undergarment "just in case" of these situations that may come up.

Now the most recent commercials have taken a much bigger step forward. Gone are the commercials with June Allison selling Depends diapers for her mother. The products are now actually marketed as being for "light bladder leakage" problems as opposed to someone who might be in a situation where they will wet their pants if they don't make it to a bathroom in time. The commercial states that one-in-three women experience light bladder leakage and they have even coined a new lable for it, LBL (light bladder leakage) as if it's a well known and used medical term. Folks, this is marketing at it's very finest! This is the perfect example of how a company can get people to fall for their line and buy their product! Think back a few years and try to remember how many adult diaper commercials you used to see on TV as compaired to how many you see today! Yes, many more now days than in years past. True, these products have a use and I'm sure there are people out there who do have light bladder problems now and then, but to coin a new phrase like "LBL" and imply that one in every three women have bladder leakage all the time and require these products on an everyday basis is just pure marketing for the purpose of selling more products. The add campaign is purly aimed at getting more and more people to wear their disposable underwear even if they really don't need them.

I predict that soon you will not be able to find actual diapers in grocery and drug stores because the focus will keep turning more and more to this bigger disposable underwear market that these manufacturers have been creating. Actual disposable adult diapers will probably fade into the backround and only be available by mail order through specialty incontinence websites and AB/DL sites. Face it. It's much easier for companies to create a market for regular everyday people to believe they need disposable underwear than it is to create or increase a market for people to be incontinent of bladder and bowels.

Any comments?

• Like 1

There will always be adult diapers. Why? Because whilst pull ups may be able to deal with 'LBL' (what a TLA that is!), they can't handle full on incontinence. We all know that. Medical professionals know that. If hospitals and care facilities (biggest buyers) really thought they could substitute with pull ups, they would. But they can't and they won't (espeically as diapers are more cost effective), thus ensuring a HUGE market for adult diapers.

• Like 1

I think Rusty pins is on to something, here. Although, as the baby boomers are ageing and more 'LBL' (I love the abbreviation) shows up with that population the need for absorbent products also increases. Marketing folks aren't stupid. After all, an absorbent pull up is not a diaper right? Advertisements are working to remove the stigma of the classic diaper image. I'd say that two things are desirable outcomes from this directed marketing effort; namely that the manufacturers have this great new product to answer you light leakage needs which is not a diaper and secondly, that it is OK to wear an absorbant leakproof underpant.

I can remember many occasions in my distant past (as an adult) when I'd given anything to have a diaper on! Pull up or otherwise. These were traffic jams with no chance of movement; the kentucky derby infield, fishing trips, and the list goes on. I'm just glad that I can now wear a when I please and when it simply makes sense. I am not incontinent. And, this post is not intended to be an affront to anyone who suffers thereof.

It will be interesting to pull this string up in five years to see what the market has done. And, more importantly, how many people are wearing diapers or pull-ups because the can, not because they are needed.

Rat

There will always be adult diapers. Why? Because whilst pull ups may be able to deal with 'LBL' (what a TLA that is!), they can't handle full on incontinence. We all know that. Medical professionals know that. If hospitals and care facilities (biggest buyers) really thought they could substitute with pull ups, they would. But they can't and they won't (espeically as diapers are more cost effective), thus ensuring a HUGE market for adult diapers.

Yes, there will always be actual adult diapers. They will not go away for the very reason's Snugglebug has stated above. My point is they will continue to become scarce in grocery and drug stores as manufacturers keep creating new "needs" for their pull on disposable underpants for the general public. I didn't even mention in my original post how now you can buy these pull on underpants in gender specific packages! That's one of the newer marketing stratagies by a company that soon will be followed by all the others. Once more, I'm not knocking these products and actually wear them now and then myself. It just amaizes me the lengths companies will go to in order to create a market for their products! I would venture to say probably half of the people who buy disposable underwear for "need" probably could do without them just fine without any problems. It's all about the money and making as much of it as you can, anyway you can! You do whatever works to increase sales. You have to first sell an idea before you can sell the product!

While I certainly don't question the 'brilliant' marketing tactics, one also has to be aware of the changing demographics as well, which may be affecting 'tastes', so to speak. With the increasing proportion of the population appearing to be active longer, working later, etc., etc., the company created and actual needs or wants of the market may also be changing.

When you brought up LBL...I couldn't help recalling a few years ago when they were marketing a medicine for 'restless leg syndrome'.

My area seems to be ahead of the pack then. We have 9 drugstores in the area, and every one of them only carry the disposable underwear. Though we do have one that also carries cloth diapers and selk brand pantd and rubber pants from some other company I don't remember the name of. This store as well will order abenas, molicares etc. For you, they still only display the disposable underwear on there shelves, as far as a non reusable product is concerned. Things sure changed quick over the past 2 years.

I think these marketing techniques are a mixed bag.

Here you have people who have LBL and they are benefiting from the initiative to produce disposable underwear, but at the same time, you will always have people who are medium to heavy users who require adult diapers. By pushing adult diapers to the wayside, these companies are undermining a dedicated demographic of diaper-wearers (lots of D's there). In my opinion, companies should focus on making disposable underwear more comfortable and absorbent so they accommodate the medium to heavy incontinence populace. They should also focus on constantly improving their diapers in general. That would be the most suitable compromise.

I think these marketing techniques are a mixed bag.

Here you have people who have LBL and they are benefiting from the initiative to produce disposable underwear, but at the same time, you will always have people who are medium to heavy users who require adult diapers. By pushing adult diapers to the wayside, these companies are undermining a dedicated demographic of diaper-wearers (lots of D's there). In my opinion, companies should focus on making disposable underwear more comfortable and absorbent so they accommodate the medium to heavy incontinence populace. They should also focus on constantly improving their diapers in general. That would be the most suitable compromise.

Quite a good answer here :Crylol: Much of the world of retailing has changed as most homes in the more affluent countries are now online. Street-level retailers must either be part of a large corporation who has buying power, or be small and well in tune with their markets if they want to survive. It costs too much to open a retail shop when you can reach the same people (and a lot more too) by going online. The downside of that is online the competition is very tough. In time there will be only stores of convenience on the streets who will sell only 'gotta have now' items, personal items that need fitting, or who sell items too big or heavy to easily ship. Inventories of retailers are showing this trend already as brand diversity on the shelves is going away :( If you really need something, you'll settle for whatever you can get if you're in a pinch and they know this- if you've got time you'll order it from a cheaper internet source instead of buying from them anyway :mellow:

There will always be a need and a market for real adult incontinence products, so there will always be someone there to fill that need :D The problem is that they will either be 'specializing', such as aiming toward ABDL's, or they will be 'generalizing' following the trends of the incontinent ;) That may sound good on the surface since we're not going to be left out, but it also implies what we're seeing now with ABU's and Bambino's- high prices because they know they will get them :o I'm not saying those specific products aren't a good value, I'm saying that the smaller market of us who want cheaper decent plastic back diapers aren't going to get them because they cost nearly as much to make and don't present better profits :bash: Incontinents want the discretion of cloth-like backing, and AB's want long-duration baby-like diapers that don't need frequent changing. The former has to buy so their market is easy to supply. The latter will spend whatever it takes to get what they see as 'the best'. The rest of us will either buy something we don't really like due to our finances, or will spend more to get something we don't need because it has the features we really want :P

It goes like this with all things retailed. For instance, how many times have you heard someone lament that they only need a cellphone that makes phone calls but that nobody makes such a simple-to-use phone anymore (excepting the pre-paid only models)? Ditto for computer programs, why can't they be simpler and easier to use like they once were? Also for cars where people cry for a cheap, simple, easy-to-repair-at-home model that nobody makes. The answer is that either people won't buy enough of them to make it profitable, or that better profits can be had by overlooking this market :angry:

Welcome to marketing's New and Improved, Brighter, Sleeker, Snazzier, Cooler, and Better future where you still can't get what you want unless you make it yourself- and if you can't do that, you have to be happy with what we want you to have :crybaby:

Bettypooh

Yeah... Companies can make more from shoddy products than those that last and are of better quality, usually. They'd go out of business if they made real vehicles that were designed to last the better part of a century and were easily and affordably repairable, cause people wouldn't have to keep buying newer and more expensive vehicles. Though, it would be funny if their over-marketing of the "disposable underwear" style bit them in the butt as people realized they're a crappy product and switched back to diapers, it's not very likely to actually happen. The general public is too stupid to make such a realization...

Sorry,don't know how this reposted what I sent yesterday. Would promise not to do it again but "perplexed shrug".

I don't think its so much a problem of stupidity as a problem of be under informed. When I first started having problems with incontinance, I wasn't about to talk to anyone about it, especially my family. I did everything I could to hide it from everyone, and drove atleast 25 miles away to pick up what were depends overnihts at the time even though there are atleast 9 pharmacies within 10 miles of where I live. The only way I knew of what products existed was by what was stocked on the shelves. Didn't have access to the internet other then at home and didn't need someone seeing me lookin up diapers. Pretty sure vast amounts of the elderly have no access as well. There is also the whole stigma thing attached to diapers that doesn't help any.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah... But not all towns have such places... It would be much less of a hassle to be able to pick up actual diaper-style diapers at the store along with the rest of the groceries... Sadly, this is becoming impossible in some places.

Just for the record, the beloved actress of 1940s to 1960s movies, the widow of actor/producer/writer Dick Powell, spelled her name June Allyson. However, back in the day she admitted during interviews that she freely chashed checks with all sorts of spelling!

The aspect of her TV commercials that cause Depend to outsell the previously leading brand Attends was when June Allyson made it clear she also needed Depend products.

Previously we have discussed the reasons most retail stores do not devote precious shelf-space to tape-on adult diapers. Mass market stores such as Target or supermarkets demand that manufacturers pay for shelf space. Clearly if Depend or other firms wanted such selling positions for their non-pull-on styles they would pay for the space.

Consultants to the adult diaper industry counsel that tape-on classic disposables are not impulse items. The patients who can drive around and still need classic disposables also have figured out how many they will need per day, per week and per month. Those wise folks order by remote control, be that phone or on-line.

The retail customers for adult pull-on diapers either have such light incontinence they do not consult physicians, or are suddenly incontinent because of surgery, accident or illness.

My husband Don is a classic example. Although he changed the cloth diapers of his late wife often and has been changing my pinned gauze diapers since we met in 1991, Don had never changed an adult disposable. He had seen me do so but that is not the same as changing himself. When don was first diagnosed with prostate cancer, his urologist scheduled a surgical biopsy. Don was warned following the biopsy he might ooze some blood and might not have total bladder control. Prior to the biopsy we were still hoping he did not have cancer. So the day before the biopsy Don bought a bag of Depend Adjustable Undies at a local store. I had told him few in the incontinence community said good things about Depend, but Don was more into convenience that top quality. For him good enough was more than good enough. In fact he only needed half of those Depend.

Once we had the results of his biopsy, there was a six week wait for the real prostate surgery. Most of that was to give Don time to tone his body, while they did various scans to better locate the cancer. The urology staff finally admitted Don would not regain bladder control fully for weeks post surgery. Therefore I added a case of Attends pull-on in Don's size to my next routine Attends order. I also ordered Don a case of Attends classic poly-plastic and also Breathables in his size. Don never used anything beyond the pull-on since he did not want to learn to diaper himself. I did buy him a second case of the Attend pull-on of which half are still left almost 3 years later. A few weeks post surgery we donated the un-opened cases of the Attends briefs to a local charity.

Just for the record, the beloved actress of 1940s to 1960s movies, the widow of actor/producer/writer Dick Powell, spelled her name June Allyson. However, back in the day she admitted during interviews that she freely chashed checks with all sorts of spelling!

The aspect of her TV commercials that cause Depend to outsell the previously leading brand Attends was when June Allyson made it clear she also needed Depend products.

Previously we have discussed the reasons most retail stores do not devote precious shelf-space to tape-on adult diapers. Mass market stores such as Target or supermarkets demand that manufacturers pay for shelf space. Clearly if Depend or other firms wanted such selling positions for their non-pull-on styles they would pay for the space.

Consultants to the adult diaper industry counsel that tape-on classic disposables are not impulse items. The patients who can drive around and still need classic disposables also have figured out how many they will need per day, per week and per month. Those wise folks order by remote control, be that phone or on-line.

The retail customers for adult pull-on diapers either have such light incontinence they do not consult physicians, or are suddenly incontinent because of surgery, accident or illness.

My husband Don is a classic example. Although he changed the cloth diapers of his late wife often and has been changing my pinned gauze diapers since we met in 1991, Don had never changed an adult disposable. He had seen me do so but that is not the same as changing himself. When don was first diagnosed with prostate cancer, his urologist scheduled a surgical biopsy. Don was warned following the biopsy he might ooze some blood and might not have total bladder control. Prior to the biopsy we were still hoping he did not have cancer. So the day before the biopsy Don bought a bag of Depend Adjustable Undies at a local store. I had told him few in the incontinence community said good things about Depend, but Don was more into convenience that top quality. For him good enough was more than good enough. In fact he only needed half of those Depend.

Once we had the results of his biopsy, there was a six week wait for the real prostate surgery. Most of that was to give Don time to tone his body, while they did various scans to better locate the cancer. The urology staff finally admitted Don would not regain bladder control fully for weeks post surgery. Therefore I added a case of Attends pull-on in Don's size to my next routine Attends order. I also ordered Don a case of Attends classic poly-plastic and also Breathables in his size. Don never used anything beyond the pull-on since he did not want to learn to diaper himself. I did buy him a second case of the Attend pull-on of which half are still left almost 3 years later. A few weeks post surgery we donated the un-opened cases of the Attends briefs to a local charity.

Angela,

I don't know if you posted it elsewhere here, but how is Don now? Did he have his prostate

removed, or did they just remove the cancer part? (Do they call that a TURP??)

Just curious, from a guy's perspective.

I've read that pretty much ALL males will have some kind of prostate issues, if something

else doesn't get them first.

Angela, please do update us on Don's health.

To the original post, there are two influences in the market. You correctly identified the first - the marketeer. The other is the customer who votes with his/her Dollars/Pounds/Euros. Manufacturers and retailers will listen to marketeets, but will respond the most to shoppers.

The first thing you can do is to ask you store to stock a specific product so you can buy it from them. That takes a lot more openess than the threads about shopping the first time for adult diapers! The other level is statisical. What sells, gets restocked. What doesn't sell gets dumped.

We can do two things: ask for what we want if we have the guts and buy what we want from brick and mortar stores if they have it. As for BabyMaggie and I, we won't do as much shopping at the Walmart 10 miles away because they stopped stocking Depends Boosts (their only decent product). It's not really their fault, Kimberly-Clark decided to stop making Boosts. It doesn't matter, that store will lose own business anyway.

Aloha,

Honu

Angela, please do update us on Don's health.

To the original post, there are two influences in the market. You correctly identified the first - the marketeer. The other is the customer who votes with his/her Dollars/Pounds/Euros. Manufacturers and retailers will listen to marketeets, but will respond the most to shoppers.

The first thing you can do is to ask you store to stock a specific product so you can buy it from them. That takes a lot more openess than the threads about shopping the first time for adult diapers! The other level is statisical. What sells, gets restocked. What doesn't sell gets dumped.

We can do two things: ask for what we want if we have the guts and buy what we want from brick and mortar stores if they have it. As for BabyMaggie and I, we won't do as much shopping at the Walmart 10 miles away because they stopped stocking Depends Boosts (their only decent product). It's not really their fault, Kimberly-Clark decided to stop making Boosts. It doesn't matter, that store will lose own business anyway.

Aloha,

Honu

I can and do ask stores to order certain things for me that are not sold on-line at fair prices. However, I am pragmatic enough to only place such orders for brands the store already carries. To be specific, I prefer to buy Pampers Cruisers Size 4 in cases containing bags of 72. Some stores do stock those kind of cases, but going to them is not convenient for me. Therefore I asked the manager of the supermarket when we buy a lot of stuff to add my preferred case to his routine Pampers order. Apparently other branches of his store do stock that kind, because shortly after I make the request I get a call saying they are ready for pick-up.

For me there would be no advantage to going to a store to buy a case of Attends. Long ago I calculated how many I will need. Care Givers has that data in their computer, so unless I send them an e-mail saying I am using Breathables slower than normal, my next case arrives on a schedule. I use far fewer Youth, so Care Givers only ship them when I place an order. I know it will take less than 2 weeks and except on a long trip I have never used more than 12 Youth in 2 weeks recently. Trust me, I order when I still have more than 12 in my stash.

Asking a store manager to stock something outside the normal puts both of us in an awkward position. I would feel obligated to buy enough to turn over the inventory. The manager does not want to upset me, but does not really have display space for such special inventory. Special ordering is not the same as requesting special stocking.

At the risk of creating more than it needs to be, im gonna just tear this apart for a moment.

First rule of marketing is to establish a need for your product. Then you have to make everyone want and need your product in order to sell it. They also have to be comfortable with usuing your product and have confidence in it's ability to do what it's marketed to do.
2856.jpg

The first rule of marketing is to find what needs your product/service/strengths fill. Or how best to fill the needs of the customer. Marketers can't make people buy anything, they can suggest a need, but not create one. I don't have a good product example but I am willing to bet that there are at least a hundred good examples of manufacturers not understanding their market.

As I've stated in other posts, in order to sell more products and therefor make more profits, the shift has gone from the much smaller percentage of people who are actually incontinent to the much larger (as these companies would have you believe) percentage of people who have occasional leakage problems. This has been going on for several years, hence the lack of actual diapers anymore in many stores in favor of the pull on disposable underwear.

This one is a little longer but bare with me. Just by looking at what is happening and the current market environment without any research I can probably accurately identify the reasoning behind this.

It’s not that LBL is a new term that has just been created, but has unknowingly been around for a long time. It is very difficult for people to talk about personal matters and actually do something about it, of whichdmavn made an excellent point. Additionally, this condition may not impact their lives enough to see a doctor about, it’s not exactly incontinence. And statistically manufacturers may be receiving data that shows an increase of people who are opening up about it, hence a rise of people with this problem. The commercials themselves are new but so are all the medical commercials out there, this is just a change in attitude in both the FCC and the public (even though some commercials are embarrassing to watch).

The scarcity in stores could be that Briefs are better suited for Direct Sales(internet, Phone, Mail). Let’s think about an average user of a Brief: They most likely learned that they need protection after medical consultation, so either they order direct from their doctor or were advised of an outlet. They are heavy users of the product; therefore it is both wiser and cheaper to order in bulk. It’s to some an embarrassing item for them to buy, I am positive they would prefer not to deal with it in person. Depending on the insurer it’s probably covered and is easier to setup a delivery schedule that is billed to the insurance. The briefs are used constantly and are not a commodity item, very rarely will someone use more than anticipated and have to run out and get more. It seems by those merits alone retailers would be better off not stocking them and stock something that will have good margins and high turnover and better meet their customers needs. I bet most actual users buy from medical supply outlets for ease and cost(as is the case for Ms Angela Bauer[sorry]); and the internet has only made it easier to access these outlets allowing potential customers to bypass the B&M retailers. Briefs are better suited for direct sales, whether by catalog, phone orders, or internet. By cutting a product that doesn’t sell well to instead make better use of limited space; retailers are able to cut costs, increase revenues, and increase customer value.

Yeah... Companies can make more from shoddy products than those that last and are of better quality, usually. They'd go out of business if they made real vehicles that were designed to last the better part of a century and were easily and affordably repairable, cause people wouldn't have to keep buying newer and more expensive vehicles.

No. People aren’t stupid, they can make stupid decisions, but they are not going to keep doing it unless they think it is beneficial to do so. Yes you can make a profit from a shoddy product, but for how long? If it does not offer VALUE it is not going to sell well, and in the long run the company will go out of business. Cars are not a good example because no matter how well your engineering department is you are never going to make a car that runs forever with little maintenance. It’s impossible. It’s the same for any product, time will take its toll on everything. Look at the american auto industry, they went bankrupt; because they sold shoddy products when the Japanese made quality cars. Toyota is dying now because of a bad and unreliable part. Poor quality is not a good strategy, and companies don’t stay in business for long by not offering value. In the case of Diapers , would you really complain if the medicine you’re taking causes diarrhea if it cures aids, NO! You need it, few people offer it; You are going to stick with something that fits weird as long as for the most part it does its job. Value the percieived benefits in return for the price paid.

Mass market stores such as Target or supermarkets demand that manufacturers pay for shelf space. Clearly if Depend or other firms wanted such selling positions for their non-pull-on styles they would pay for the space.
Major players don’t pay. Target is not going to cut Johnson & Johnson because they are not willing to pay for shelf space, same goes for Coca-Cola or in-demand unique items. Some manufacturers do pay (cut costs to retailer) for better shelf positioning or if they are new, a spot on the shelf. I don’t really see Kimberly-Clark having a problem with this at all, they make too much (scott, huggies, etc.) to really have to fight for shelf space.

At the risk of creating more than it needs to be, im gonna just tear this apart for a moment.

Major players don’t pay. Target is not going to cut Johnson & Johnson because they are not willing to pay for shelf space, same goes for Coca-Cola or in-demand unique items. Some manufacturers do pay (cut costs to retailer) for better shelf positioning or if they are new, a spot on the shelf. I don’t really see Kimberly-Clark having a problem with this at all, they make too much (scott, huggies, etc.) to really have to fight for shelf space.

First of all, I am Angela Bauer. I am married to Donald Davis. So I am either Ms Angela Bauer or Mrs Donald Daivis, not Mrs Bauer.

Second, on what basis of experience do you base your statement about SAMI share and paying for shelf position? Are you an executive with either a major retail chair or consumer good manufacturer?

Think what you will about me, but the fact is I never make such statements without specific inside knowledge.

Guest NaughtyAshes

I'm going to step in here as someone who actually holds a management position at a Major large-volume retailer. Product Manufacturers do not pay for positioning on shelfs generally. Merchandising needs to be an extremely flexible process and if you guaranteed spaces/positions it would make it highly inflexible and thus cost a lot more money. Some vendors negotiate for the right to "rent" certain displays for certain periods of time but rarely does it have to do with cash for space, more like just using market research to show that placing said display out will drive sales.

Even at the large-volume level (Walmart/Target) retail is highly micro-managed in order to maximize flexibility and thus maximize profit so most of these negotiations about product placement come between individual vendor reps and retail management. So at my store, my Pepsi vendor and myself, decide what arrangement would be most profitable within guidelines that the Retailer and the Vendor Corp lay out.

• Like 1

Thank you for your perspective NA. This has been a good discussion and I appreciate the exchange of opinion as well as professional insight.

Mahalo!

Honu

All argument about shelf space aside, I find this thread (the ORIGINAL one) to be a fascinating one. Yes, it does seem that the diaper vendors are trying to increase their market size by several means. First off, they are creating a perceived need, just like ED and Restless Leg Syndrome did a few years ago. Hell, Apple does it all the time- nobody thought they needed an iPod/iPhone/iPad until Steve Jobs told us we did. As the baby boomers mature, getting them familiar with diapers in a forward thinking strategy. So let's start with the "convenience" argument. Then it is an "occasional or light" problem so we should wear something that looks like our underwear. Then we will gradually move up to the more full time diapers that us incons know and love.

I can see a time in the future (he puts on his prognosticators hat and takes a deep draw on his meerschaum pipe) when cloth diapers become fashionable again for all the environmental and cost savings reasons. At that point, entrepreneurs will begin to offer adult diaper services like they do now for babies. The increasing costs of eldercare will accelerate this trend.