LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Metal Fabrication

Does machining count? I can lathe and mill out parts, when I can get access to a shop.

Welding is the one skill that I don't have, but desperately want. I can weld good enough to get the job done, but it will never look good when it's finished.

I guess if I owned one I could practice more often.

Right now I don't have the time or money though. I have a VR that is in the reassembly process, a diesel that I need to pull and rebuild, and I need to pull of the fifth gear in my friends o2o so I can replace it with a longer on so I can run it in my car. But it would hurt to look at welders. I really want one, so I'll probably talk myself into it soon enough.

*runs of to look on CL for a cheap welder*

Nice motor headding! I don't work metal or have the tools, but I do know a little about it despite being an electrical engineer rather than a mechanical. I do, however, like modifying my cars and getting more enjoyable performance out of them.

I wish I could do fabrication and machining, its something to work towards I guess. i took welding classes a long time ago, and I'm not the best, but I can get a bead to do what it's supposed to (with an oxy/accetaline set up anyways)

Something you might check into is possibly renting a welder. I think places that rent tools like hom depot or Lowes might also rent wire welders, if you have any experience with MIG or TIG welding...I don't think the would rent an ARC welder though, to big a chance of someone getting fried..

qwack

It sometimes fits my mood. It's stark, dark, and industrial techno, but, also includes a gray-day beauty that is ART! Keep it up. I enjoy listening to the Velvet Underground on gray days especially, and we have our share of them in Madison, Wi. I use the Velvet's as a reference because of ...their simplicity I guess. The music and lyrics mirror the aforementioned. I aspire to write as well. This is just a 48 yr. old's abdl take on things! Take care.

I've spent a good amount of money on my welder. The welder itself is a Hobart Handler 187. I wish I had got a Miller for the cheaper spool guns but I would have paid 100-200 bucks more so I guess it'd be about even price wise. Other than the spool gun price attachment it's an awesome welder. It's been steady so far and has welded everything I've thrown at it. Thickest thing being 1/4".

I wish I could afford a TIG welder but that's out of the picture. So far the 650 for the welder plus 100 for the tank and then 30-60 bucks here and there for tips, gas refills, wire, etc. It's not cheap at all. Then ya need gloves (20-40), helmet 100, and if you have long hair like me it's wise to get a hair cap of some sort.

I guess the main cost in all of it is of course material. In the long run it saves but I still don't have a decent stock pile of scrap metal and I've been doing it for over a year now. All this and I haven't even mentioned things like wire wheels, angle grinders, band saws, and all their consumables. Deburring tools and what not. It's insane how much I've spent on tools already.

It pays off in the end when you can make stuff up easily at the house and don't have to run out every minute to have someobdy else do it.

• 2 weeks later...

I'ma mechanic and i'm big on 4 wheeling so of course i can fabricate. I've got a nice esab plasma cutter and a mig welder. I'm really really good with the mig. Had some people tell me that my mig welding looks better than most peoples tig , but its just practice and settings and keeping your equipment in good shape. I just love being able to think something up and then actually build it.

Back in my 'male life' I did a fair amount of custom fabbing :angel_not: I had free access to a 12X36 gearhead lathe, a 12X8X24 tilt-head Bridgeport overhead mill, and all manner of welding, cutting, bending, and finishing equipment. About all that I couldn't do was chrome plating; the final touch to a lot of great metalwork :rolleyes: My mentors were trained machinists and welders so I did very well with what I did B) A fair amount of my small output went on to customized machines that won awards for their owners. To elaborate further could well identify me so I'll stop there :whistling: I still like seeing good custom metalwork and I appreciate quality, I'm just not motivated to do it anymore as that part of my curious life has passed :blush: I'll offer this thought as I leave this thread: Most of the effort is in the designing, and a good design carefully executed is a beautiful thing which always works as intended without excess and without failing ;)

Bettypooh

I wish I had access to all that stuff. I only have what I've bought so far and being 25 with no family that does this kind of stuff it's been hard to spend all the money on all the tools.

Hobart Handler 187 MIG w/ 75/25 tank, Hopefully getting an Argon tank soon

Craftsman Multi-Speed Drill Press (Small), Wish I had a big one

Milwaukee Chop Saw

Milwaukee 9" Angle Grinder

Task Force 4.5" Angle Griner

Harbour Freight Vertical/Horizontal Band Saw, Great cheap piece if you replace the blade and put quality lube in it

Bench Grinder and Vice of course

Northern Tool Saw'z'all

Still would love to have a plasma cutter or just a quality drill press with good bits/hole saws. Making flanges from 1/4" plate doesn't go to smoothly with the small drill press I have. Here's two things I just made recently. 1. Piano man from car parts 2. VW VR6 engine stand mount.

4405357884_1f1caf4f70_b.jpg

4404593427_5ed1a6c3e7_b.jpg

4450454744_e90977b940_b.jpg

That is awesome! Can I get an after pic? This is an interesting alternative to a giant parts washer. What are you using as a power supply? Those look like battery charger clamps.

I understand electrolysis, I've just never seen it used for cleaning.

If you give me a quote for the stand attachment, I may be able to see if I can get one from ya. :thumbsup:

75 bucks for the block attachment.

As for the cleaning. The charge comes from a battery charger from harbour freight. 6v and 6amps.

Here's all the pics I took of it. Post it all on the vortex.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=4816475

That process is INSANE! and it's only baking soda and water and a low electrical current???? The block came out almost immaculate! I am sure if you did another soak all the rest of what ever was left would have come off...very impressive!

I'll have to remember this next time I need something cleaned....

Thanks for posting! :thumbsup:

no problem. :) i'm always looking at home made ways of doing things to cut out sending anything out.

I'm off to the metal supermarket for some cheap rod, then to the local farm store for a cheap bucket.

I'll be attaching the positive electrodes to the bottom of the bucket in the hopes of pulling the current all the way through the block as opposed to just across the top. I may even pick up a cheap lift pump to help circulate the water.

I wonder if some degreaser was added to the water, if it would help at all? :huh:

• 1 month later...

Metal fabrication... is that telling lies about metal? :whistling:

Seriously KayKay, that is good work. There is a market for the character playing the piano, as well as your other pieces.

Babyvr6, SquareDuck, the cleaning methodology works by passing electricity through the water. Be careful however, electrolysis of water will split the water molecule into its constituting parts, which is Hydrogen gas and oxygen gas. The reason for the baking soda is twofold - to reduce the current required, and to also clean the equipment. In KayKay's bucket, the bucket is negative, and each of the rods are positive, giving an approx gap of 1/2 to 1 inch, which calculates at a required 1.5 amp load. If you wish to use the bucket as a ground (negative), and the lid as the positive, the 15inch gap would require approx 40 amps, which WILL arc. Since hydrogen is such an inflammable gas in an oxygen atmosphere, I suggest that extreme caution is adhered to.